Next Rev Elite Spec Will be GS — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Next Rev Elite Spec Will be GS

Kamikazi.5380Kamikazi.5380 Member ✭✭
edited April 15, 2019 in Revenant

Put it simply, we will get a new weapon to fill a void the class doesn’t have. What does the class have currently? Tl;dr at the bottom

✔️ Sword/sword: fast, agile power weapon set
✔️ Hammer: long range power set
✔️ Staff: Defensive/support weapon set
✔️ Shield: Off hand defense set
✔️Mace/axe: Condi melee set
✔️Shortbow: long range condi set

What are we missing? A two handed power burst melee ranged weapon.

So what are Rev’s options? Let’s knock them off, the next elite spec will not be supportive or condi since we already got Glint and Renegade for those roles. It will have to be a power based build.

❌Mainhand axe: Will it be condi? We already have mainhand mace for that. Will it be power? We already have mainhand sword for that.

❌Focus: Already have shield for defense, would have to be compete with both condi and power core offhands to be usable with the mainhands

❌Warhorn: Glint already a support spec, Renegade arguably also

❌Torch: Would have to compete with axe, we already got a condi elite spec with Renegade

❌Offhand mace: Can’t be condi because we have Renegade, we already have our one handed power set

❌Longbow: Already got shortbow

❌Rifle: Already got hammer for long range dps

❌Pistol: Not aligned with Revenant theme

❌Torch: Already got our condi elite spec with Renegade, would compete with axe

❌Daggers: We literally already have an assassin spec, and sword sword fulfills this role

❌Scepter: Again wouldn’t be condi because we have Renegade, wouldn’t be power because it lacks synergy with Rev’s only two offhands

✔️Greatsword: Power based spec, would fulfill Revenant’s missing two handed melee damage based weapon. Wouldn’t clash with any synergy core offhands have.

Tl;dr: Next elite spec will be a selfish power based spec, because both Herald and Renegade are support the latter being condi. Revenant is missing a two handed power melee option, greatsword is the only likely candidate.

Remember this thread, see you in two years.

Comments

  • And why would it be power mainhand axe? What would it possibly achieve that mainhand sword doesn’t? Would it be hybrid like offhand axe? Then that would mean the next elite spec would have some condi elements, but it’s unlikely as we just got Renegade which is used both by condi and power.

    Thread is not misleading, by process of elimination the most likely weapon is GS.

  • Safandula.8723Safandula.8723 Member ✭✭✭✭

    gr8 sword would be fun, but it wont synergise with shiro - only power legend. my bet is on dagger

    make prepardness baseline plz

  • They absolutely could introduce two weapons at the same time. They functionally did that with spelbreaker, even though it was “the same” weapon (really it’s not though since it’s coded as both mainland and offhand).

    I want scepter + focus. Shield is pure defense and healing, but that doesn’t mean focus can’t be defensive utility or damage. Scepter can fill the void for a one handed range power option with good power AoE.

  • I'd actually like to see dual dagger being added baseline. Specifically, Dagger MH being a hybrid condi weapon, and dagger OH being the old sword OH.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Revenant is a flawed designed class in the get go. Should have had a few of those named as base weapons when they decided that the no weapon swap concept didnt work well for this class. The number of weapons was limited because of that, but we all know how that turned out. Ventari needs a real support stock weapon. Which should have been a baseline scepter and focus. Ranged dual daggers should have been a stock weapon as well like the alpha datamine leaks. Staff should have stayed a defensive weapon like the datamine.

  • HyperLooser.2698HyperLooser.2698 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019

    With Rev a very important thing is also what legend is tied to what weapon. GS really atm seems only some of those norn legendary mercenary like Svaard could possibly be one. Ofc Anet can just make up some random new ancient xxx person anytime.

    Also can somehow make Balthazar make work too, would fit well the "Magical Warrior" description revs have with some fiery greatsword schenanigans.

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Also, anet has said that there's no immediate plans for another expansion. Soooo, time to go play War/Guard if you really wanna be a Twilight boi.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @HyperLooser.2698 said:
    With Rev a very important thing is also what legend is tied to what weapon. GS really atm seems only some of those norn legendary mercenary like Svaard could possibly be one. Ofc Anet can just make up some random new ancient xxx person anytime.

    Also can somehow make Balthazar make work too, would fit well the "Magical Warrior" description revs have with some fiery greatsword schenanigans.

    Which is exactly what the guardian is doing, just with axe.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @HyperLooser.2698 said:
    With Rev a very important thing is also what legend is tied to what weapon. GS really atm seems only some of those norn legendary mercenary like Svaard could possibly be one. Ofc Anet can just make up some random new ancient xxx person anytime.

    Also can somehow make Balthazar make work too, would fit well the "Magical Warrior" description revs have with some fiery greatsword schenanigans.

    Which is exactly what the guardian is doing, just with axe.
    And I am naysaying gs threads because they are just trying to homogenize the classes and wanting to be edgelord. And I do have a twilight.

  • Arkantos.7460Arkantos.7460 Member ✭✭✭✭

    nope, because there is no next expansion

  • Psycoprophet.8107Psycoprophet.8107 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arkantos.7460 said:
    nope, because there is no next expansion

    This lol^
    Think they got enough things they gotta fix before thinking about an expansion

  • Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @LucianDK.8615 said:

    @HyperLooser.2698 said:
    With Rev a very important thing is also what legend is tied to what weapon. GS really atm seems only some of those norn legendary mercenary like Svaard could possibly be one. Ofc Anet can just make up some random new ancient xxx person anytime.

    Also can somehow make Balthazar make work too, would fit well the "Magical Warrior" description revs have with some fiery greatsword schenanigans.

    Which is exactly what the guardian is doing, just with axe.
    And I am naysaying gs threads because they are just trying to homogenize the classes and wanting to be edgelord. And I do have a twilight.

    Guess you didn’t like GW1 then :D

    Does double swords make you an edge lord too?

    Also, I can one up you, I have Eternity. Guess what, I’ve transmuted it, lol.

  • Xaylin.1860Xaylin.1860 Member ✭✭✭

    @Kamikazi.5380 said:
    Thread is not misleading, by process of elimination the most likely weapon is GS.

    It will be melee Rifle because Hammer. There you go. You're welcome. :p

  • Honestly, ANet could also just make Dagger/Dagger baseline with the current sword skills and add main hand sword for a S/x power build.

    The inertia for Sword main hand is completely tied up in Rytlock being the "first" Revenant and needing to still use Sohothin. Doing the above still preserves this idea while honoring Shiro as a D/D assassin.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @digitalruse.9085 said:
    Honestly, ANet could also just make Dagger/Dagger baseline with the current sword skills and add main hand sword for a S/x power build.

    The inertia for Sword main hand is completely tied up in Rytlock being the "first" Revenant and needing to still use Sohothin. Doing the above still preserves this idea while honoring Shiro as a D/D assassin.

    Shiro was sword sword, but GW1 didnt have that as a game mechanic so it was display alone.

  • Kanok.3027Kanok.3027 Member ✭✭✭

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:
    Into greatness. Mesmers use Greatswords and mesmers are great. Greatswords make classes great.

    No, they don't. I barely, if ever, use Greatsword for my Power Chrono unless I need non-projectile ranged and most times, I don't. Ranger? I prefer other weapons or condi. Guardian? Non-GS FB please or Sw/Focus + Longbow DH. Warrior? I already barely use Warrior, but D/D SB or Ax/Ax. Really, GS is not that great. Rev doesn't need it and I'd welcome something OTHER than that. Also, pistol doesn't fit them theme...lol. I can't even.

    I Rev, therefore I am. Don't ruin my favorite class, please and thank you.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2019

    @Kanok.3027 said:

    @Knighthonor.4061 said:
    Into greatness. Mesmers use Greatswords and mesmers are great. Greatswords make classes great.

    No, they don't. I barely, if ever, use Greatsword for my Power Chrono unless I need non-projectile ranged and most times, I don't. Ranger? I prefer other weapons or condi. Guardian? Non-GS FB please or Sw/Focus + Longbow DH. Warrior? I already barely use Warrior, but D/D SB or Ax/Ax. Really, GS is not that great. Rev doesn't need it and I'd welcome something OTHER than that. Also, pistol doesn't fit them theme...lol. I can't even.

    Name one class with a Greatsword and so happens to be a bad class. I will wait

  • Kanok.3027Kanok.3027 Member ✭✭✭

    I never said they were bad. Taking what I said to twist it around for your own purposes will not work with me. They are not bad, but a GS doesn't auto-magically make the class great. Your Greatsword bias is showing.

    I Rev, therefore I am. Don't ruin my favorite class, please and thank you.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Elric.4713 said:
    Stop it with the greatsword already, that weapon would only cement our gameplay further.

    Lol this coming from a Revenant with Legend mechanics. Nothing more cemented than that!

  • SidewayS.3789SidewayS.3789 Member ✭✭✭

    I think that the next legendary warrior whom we will invoke will be a norn, and mostly Asgeir Dragonrender OR Jora.
    Now, about the weapons: i don't want a GS, BUT i would like that our new elite to change the skills of an existing weapon we have. Like Hammer, on core Revenant its a ranged weapon, on let's just say Asgeir, our hammer will turn into a melee damage weapon and so on.

    ⚡🔥💧 Andezahl 💧🔥⚡
    🌊Archmage of Rata Sum🌊

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Revenant needs more one handed weapons. Like throwing daggers or Throwing axes for distant damage and condition damage. Because both ranged weapons of the revenant are 2 handed which one is locked behind an elite spec, to be fair the shortbow is more of a hybrid rather than condition. Because the bleeding is terrible on it.

  • Knighthonor.4061Knighthonor.4061 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Shao.7236 said:
    Revenant needs more one handed weapons. Like throwing daggers or Throwing axes for distant damage and condition damage. Because both ranged weapons of the revenant are 2 handed which one is locked behind an elite spec, to be fair the shortbow is more of a hybrid rather than condition. Because the bleeding is terrible on it.

    I made a suggestion a while ago was if Staff was going to stay a synergy weapon, a new dual support range weapon should be added to core. I had the idea of dual ranged support magical daggers that damage enemies and heal nearby enemies. Main hand and off hand. This way it syncs well with off hand shield being a sub for the off hand support weapon

  • Blue.1207Blue.1207 Member ✭✭✭

    Rev's current MH/OH setup makes anything else than another 2H weapon a meme. Every offhand currently available to Rev is beyond garbage, and the AA of the sword with whatever utility you want is straight up trash. The synergy between weapon sets is terrible, and throwing another 1 hander into the mix is just pointless.

    Just give a greatsword to make up for what Revenents desperately lack. Or for all the people QQing make it a melee longbow so you can keep your "ohgoshimsouniqueandprojectmyselfintomyvideogamecharacter" mentality.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    since revs didnt get gs as a base weapon, we are clearly not meant to have it. Simple enough, and the whole kalla debacle also proved it. You lot are just trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. But its moot anyhow, no expansion comming anytime soon.

  • @LucianDK.8615 said:
    Scepter + focus, or dagger + dagger is viable and thematic choices. We do NOT need a greatsword.

    Preach. Scepter + Focus Ritualist or Vizier Khilbron e-spec needed

  • Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @LucianDK.8615 said:
    since revs didnt get gs as a base weapon, we are clearly not meant to have it. Simple enough, and the whole kalla debacle also proved it. You lot are just trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. But its moot anyhow, no expansion comming anytime soon.

    Necromancer says hi.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If you want a greatsword on a heavy class, theres the guardian and warrior. Dont try to homogenize the more unique class.

  • Shao.7236Shao.7236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019

    @Blue.1207 said:
    Rev's current MH/OH setup makes anything else than another 2H weapon a meme. Every offhand currently available to Rev is beyond garbage, and the AA of the sword with whatever utility you want is straight up trash. The synergy between weapon sets is terrible, and throwing another 1 hander into the mix is just pointless.

    Just give a greatsword to make up for what Revenents desperately lack. Or for all the people QQing make it a melee longbow so you can keep your "ohgoshimsouniqueandprojectmyselfintomyvideogamecharacter" mentality.

    Rather be more legend specific bonuses to the weapons that already exists and/or add weapons entirely because the whole entire profession is lacking in range options. You don't need an expansion to do any of that since they've already done it with the Trident.

    To think Revenant "desperately" lacks is giving other professions too much credit just because they are simpler and straight forward, Revenant was never built that way in mind and it's not likely that the so called greatsword would be anymore useful than the already existing options by just making another weapon locked behind an elite.

    You can't call something trash if you don't justify why it is, the synergy in between weapons is actually so good you can allow yourself to use either for hybrid setups without losing much depending on your main focused stats, biggest mistake to remove Duelist Preparation and make shield a necessary choice for a defensive offhand anyway. Just don't call one a carbon copy with an identity crysis when clearly either are meant to fulfill a role better than the other while still being relevant at decent level. Adding ranged main hands to the CORE of the profession would be more useful over the locked greatsword that we still can get later, we want options, not just one addition. Plus, all revenant offhands make up of distance in their own fashion anyway, how's that not helping "synergy" when you could have finally one handeds that aren't pathetically worthless without high precision and power or requiring an elite to use? Because it's better to always be forced to be right in someone's face?

    It's just baffling that you think the ONLY options revenant has are trash anyway, why would you want a expansion to hotfix it instead of actually address the problem at face value? Like I said, justify why it's so bad because I personally don't think it is and so does many other players who just play fine with those.

  • Blue.1207Blue.1207 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    @Shao.7236 said:

    @Blue.1207 said:
    Rev's current MH/OH setup makes anything else than another 2H weapon a meme. Every offhand currently available to Rev is beyond garbage, and the AA of the sword with whatever utility you want is straight up trash. The synergy between weapon sets is terrible, and throwing another 1 hander into the mix is just pointless.

    Just give a greatsword to make up for what Revenents desperately lack. Or for all the people QQing make it a melee longbow so you can keep your "ohgoshimsouniqueandprojectmyselfintomyvideogamecharacter" mentality.

    Rather be more legend specific bonuses to the weapons that already exists and/or add weapons entirely because the whole entire profession is lacking in range options. You don't need an expansion to do any of that since they've already done it with the Trident.

    To think Revenant "desperately" lacks is giving other professions too much credit just because they are simpler and straight forward, Revenant was never built that way in mind and it's not likely that the so called greatsword would be anymore useful than the already existing options by just making another weapon locked behind an elite.

    You can't call something trash if you don't justify why it is, the synergy in between weapons is actually so good you can allow yourself to use either for hybrid setups without losing much depending on your main focused stats, biggest mistake to remove Duelist Preparation and make shield a necessary choice for a defensive offhand anyway. Just don't call one a carbon copy with an identity crysis when clearly either are meant to fulfill a role better than the other while still being relevant at decent level. Adding ranged main hands to the CORE of the profession would be more useful over the locked greatsword that we still can get later, we want options, not just one addition. Plus, all revenant offhands make up of distance in their own fashion anyway, how's that not helping "synergy" when you could have finally one handeds that aren't pathetically worthless without high precision and power or requiring an elite to use? Because it's better to always be forced to be right in someone's face?

    It's just baffling that you think the ONLY options revenant has are trash anyway, why would you want a expansion to hotfix it instead of actually address the problem at face value? Like I said, justify why it's so bad because I personally don't think it is and so does many other players who just play fine with those.

    Hyperbole aside, compared to what is meta, rev only has 1-2 options in a group scenario, that is on par with other classes, and 1 of them is incredibly niche in that meta category (excluding WvW for obvious reasons). However looking at it solely from the perspective in which power rev is lacking viability, what we have available is not viable in said scenario (the meta), and therefore can be disregarded (aka trash). The whole reason of this post is Rev's viability as sustained power w/ frontload burst DPS. Something that it currently lacks as it's pdps exists as a support/boonbot role and is outclassed by even a reaper (yes I would rather take a power reaper in any end game content over a power rev, though both are outclassed hard so whoopdeedo).

    Viable yes, optimal? Far from. If you read any of my other posts you'd know that I literally said "I'll take literally any weapon if it fills in the sustained power damage that rev is currently lacking". The most viable offhand Rev has in non meta group scenarios is the /oh swd, whereas shield is beyond a meme, it's probably the least used weapon in the entire game, plus it's locked to herald, so it will forever rot there as it currently is. As for /oh axe? Thank goodness it's condi otherwise condi rev's would be in the same situation as power rev's (having a nearly useless weapon).

    As the class currently exists, no 1 handed weapon (or combination of) can fix the mess that rev is in. Add a strong offhand? Grats, sword and shield are still garbage, with 1 being locked to an elite spec. Add a strong mainhand? Grats, hope you like using a terrible offhand weapon (swd/axe, and assuming next elite spec is power based, which it ideally should be). Point being, unless rev gets more single handed weapons added to its base class, anything other than a powerful and hard hitting 2 hander can just peace out, because we'll end up exactly where we are now; a clunky class with the least amount of viable and useful weapon combos out of any class (sans ele/eng due to swap design).

  • DarkEmiLupus.2876DarkEmiLupus.2876 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2019

    How about dualwielding pistols as close range aoe power weapon( like 600 range) and with traits that you make more dmg the more close you are of the enemies. Then kitten make GS baseline weapon and we can go GUCCI slaying demon-I mean dragons...DMC :I

  • Kulvar.1239Kulvar.1239 Member ✭✭✭

    I want range longbow, I don't like the look of hammer :( And I love Pharus looks

  • Arkantos.7460Arkantos.7460 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I got best hypothese EVER
    We get rifle because it starts with r and Revenant also starts with r ... hawahawhwaw

  • Next spec is Killroy Jenkins. You’ll wield a two handed shield. It only has one attack. Charge. It will be nerfed the next day because its too OP.

  • Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Necromancing because its relevant.. "ITS ALIVE!!!"

  • They don't need a ranged GS.....what the game needs is melee longbow!

  • Lonewolf Kai.3682Lonewolf Kai.3682 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Thornwolf.9721 said:
    Necromancing because its relevant.. "ITS ALIVE!!!"

    As much as I hate necroposts, I’d have to agree this was an appropriate time for it since a lot of the points are indeed still relevant.

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2020

    @Scoobaniec.9561 said:
    Or they can just troll you and make a new elite spec with melee scepter+warhorn at once

    Togo legend it could work like a whip :P but GS kinda makes sense when they realease canthan stuff... also shiro needs a good warrior legend to pair with.
    Alternativelly we could get a dual dagger mother and daughter legend, Visu and Nika in the same legend theme (in this theme of rev daggers, thief would receive a non or very low stealth class with GS).
    If ends being a land spear will be Archemorus for sure...

    To many great characters to be used as legends in Cantha :\ i guess...

    Even if Anet want revs to receive GS they could add a humanoid NPC or by chance they still HAVE MORE DRAGONS FROM CANTHA to make as lagend :\
    - The empress that ended being transformed into the celestial dragon that burned the nagas.
    - https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Albax
    - https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kuunavang

    A Kuunavang legend would be so dope ._. real dope, but lore wise pair shiro and the assassin he killed with her daughter would be cool as well >_>, im confused now on what i would like to see.

    Note to Anet: Dammn u Faction writters why did u created so many kewl characters....