Arenanet Server Issues?

I've been experiencing ping instability and ping spikes for the last several months.I've contacted my internet provider, and according to them, the problem isn't on my/their side.So this essentially leaves the servers of Guild Wars 2 as the source of the problem. (To my understanding, at least :/)

Is anyone else having any similar issues?

Edit : Are there any plausible fixes I could apply to improve my connection to the servers?

@"killfil.3472" said:I've contacted my internet provider, and according to them, the problem isn't on my/their side.So this essentially leaves the servers of Guild Wars 2 as the source of the problem. (To my understanding, at least :/)

There's a lot of internet between your ISP and ANet's ISP. (And FYI some ISPs are better than others at troubleshooting issues on their side; quite a few aren't that good.)

The first thing you should do is run Pingplotter or a similar program, so you can gather details about where your data is getting lost. Share that intel with both your ISP and with ANet (via a support ticket). If you want, you can also post it here and the forum's armchair analysts will help explain what you're seeing.

Some people have good results using a proxy or VPN. In theory, that should make things worse because (at best) your data has to travel at least a "hop" or three more than usual. In practice, however, it can improve the quality of transmission. The most common reason (if that happens) is that the longer route bypasses the hiccup — almost identical to taking surface streets to avoid a pileup on the highway. Rarely, the route will end up being shorter instead of longer — think of the alternate subway/underground ending up faster because the Express turned into a Local due to problems on the track.

Many servers do not respond to ping, though I'm not sure if this is common for the game's servers. You can try running a trace instead, using tracert instead of ping. Though the server likely will not respond to that either, it may be able to show you problems in the middle which is what you're probably looking for anyway.

@"killfil.3472" said:Is anyone else having any similar issues?

Yes, I had a lengthy exchange with the GW2 technical support for months some time ago to find the source of the issue (as my ISP not only checked everything via data readings but also exchanged all hardware, including cables, on location), and the final result from the support team was: "Sorry, there is nothing we can do as there are many steps between your ISP and our servers that could cause the issue."

Funny, though, that all this started when they switched to Amazon servers. Hmmm...

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"killfil.3472" said:Is anyone else having any similar issues?

Yes, I had a lengthy exchange with the GW2 technical support for months some time ago to find the source of the issue (as my ISP not only checked everything via data readings but also exchanged
all
hardware, including cables, on location), and the final result from the support team was: "Sorry, there is nothing we can do as there are many steps between your ISP and our servers that could cause the issue."

Funny, though, that all this started when they switched to Amazon servers. Hmmm...

This issue comes from a problem on the road between you and arenanet, so it is obvious that when one of you change location, the route taken also changes and you suddenly suffer from this issue. However, it doesn't mean it is the root cause. The Amazon servers are directly connected to the highway, but somewhere the route to them leads now over a small country road somewhere down the road

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

@Ray Koopa.2354 said:When did they switch to the Amazon servers? Around when SAB started and possibly shortly before?Because the game is unplayable for me since then (NA servers connecting from EU, was fine for 4 years).

About a year, or so, ago? It's been quite a while.

Sometime before November 2017.

Try using clientport 80 added on your shortcut's commandline parameter,since port 80 is fully opened where the guild wars other port might be throttled by your isp.Seen lots of people having this issue actually,and for some it can help.I remember having a buddy from Spain that Needed to use this line or he would have constant lag spikes.

And im not sure if this might help but try resetting winsock/tcp to default in windows.