'HPS' (Healing-Per-Second) - Does it exist?

And if so, is there a way similar to the practice DPS golems to keep tabs on how much healing you're doing?

I play Firebrand in PvP, and I've just picked up Mesmer for WvW. I also have a Druid, but I'm a little anxious about my healing capabilities, and there's not many accessible ways for me to practice them.

Just thinking about whether or not a practice golem for healing would be helpful. And you can add conditions to it, or set the conditions to be inflicted on a timer, grant it boons...

Wishful thinking, but any kind of way to practice healing besides launching myself into battle would be helpful, at least for me.

The best way to learn support FB is to play it in a WvW squad. You'll learn what to look for and when you should be dropping resistance vs cleanses, and reflects vs heals. Theres not a real way to measure how to react in pvp outside of experience.

You'll see people spam through their tomes but drop stuff at all the wrong times. Try not to spam, and have a purpose for each page you're using.

In WvW there will never be an ideal static scenario like a raid boss, dps, hps etc is all irrelevant. Bring a good build (metabattle) on a desired class (fb or scrapper if you want to heal/frontline) and after that its just grinding zerg after zerg and learning movement. Mesmer or druid healers (well, mesmer cant heal for kitten so lets just call it "support") are more for comped smaller groups. With the druid you will probably get kicked from half the squads, though a chrono can fly under the radar.

In PvE/Raids/Fractals/CM's your suggested HPS is probably less important of a statistic when comparing to examples like DPS or CDPS. The reasons are simple:

• HPS is trivial when people can avoid damage by dodging, invulnerability, reflects, and barriers, protection and are healed by lifesteals and regen often applied by other classes then their supposed healers. When it does become important it will be under heavy pressure when the run goes bad.
  • the old "Scholar-Buff" uptime. When allies drop below 90% health a DPS build tends to lose a lot of DPS as most damage bonusses are applied while abopve 90% health, immediately showing the pre's of builds providing barriers. Barriers allow dmg to be absorbed without any loss of effectiveness.

This said many classes and builds exist that can perform near miracles while supporting and or healing,
These suggestions combined with Boons and Barriers tend to fullfil healerroles very decently, and now only the last question remains:

• do you need a 1st or 2nd dedicated healer/booner in the content you play over ©DPS builds?

Good support builds are for example:

• Mace/Shield Guardian Melee Healer
  • Ressurect /Barrier Scourges
  • Water Auramancers
  • Support Druids

But will they work? It mostly depends on the group, their ability to trust the build and to embrace the build used.In the end the amount of Healing per Second (HPS) is far less important in the situations where healing is needed then their actual percieved effectiveness.

Archived