Upcoming balance changes to Magnetic Leap/Dragons Claw

sephiroth.4217

The new rework for Magnetic Leap looks good but has no mention of retaining the Leap Finisher..

I just want to say I hope it stays a Leap finisher, its fundamental to DD Tempest gameplay as it helps with healing, condi cleansing and most importantly the Dazes which can also proc Lightning Rod.

As for Dragon's Claw, if it doesn't pierce foes then its a reliable way to locate stealthed enemies, now that it can pierce in the next update I wont be able to track stealthed enemies anymore.I hope you can give us something to replace the functionality that you will be removing.

This is coming from a PvP perspective.

kinda fun that THE magic class is unable to get any profit of a tab target game cause it needs to aim everything.

looking at the other reworks i'd say its very uninspiring looking at the ele changes but atleast some buffs in there to push some builds.

what about woven stride tho? fix yes/no?

Also, if you're a tempest auramancer, you generate auras when leaping through fire, ice, light and ethereal fields. If you use the aura share trait you apply these auras to 5 others around you. This will be a big deal for me if they remove leap combo from magnetic leap, to the point that I won't want to play the class, and maybe the game anymore as I refuse to start another character, or 'learn how to play my class again'. by re-specing and re-gearing.

I dealt and adjusted my gameplay with the removal of light aura from Radiance Runes, but these changes will be the last straw for me. Tempest is a barely used class as it is, but somehow these changes will make people want to play it more...uh, no.

@Uthrax.4975 said:Also, if you're a tempest auramancer, you generate auras when leaping through fire, ice, light and ethereal fields. If you use the aura share trait you apply these auras to 5 others around you. This will be a big deal for me if they remove leap combo from magnetic leap, to the point that I won't want to play the class, and maybe the game anymore as I refuse to start another character, or 'learn how to play my class again'. by re-specing and re-gearing.

I dealt and adjusted my gameplay with the removal of light aura from Radiance Runes, but these changes will be the last straw for me. Tempest is a barely used class as it is, but somehow these changes will make people want to play it more...uh, no.

I know exactly how you feel...

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Uthrax.4975 said:Also, if you're a tempest auramancer, you generate auras when leaping through fire, ice, light and ethereal fields. If you use the aura share trait you apply these auras to 5 others around you. This will be a big deal for me if they remove leap combo from magnetic leap, to the point that I won't want to play the class, and maybe the game anymore as I refuse to start another character, or 'learn how to play my class again'. by re-specing and re-gearing.

I know exactly how you feel...

Yep, I forgot to mention the boons you apply to yourself and others if you spec for it when applying auras, which I'm sure you are aware of, so yeah, lame. It's a very strong PVE build, mediocre Wvw build....

I noticed that about the magentic leap rework too. Since it seems to be a dash type skill it is up in the air if it will remain a leap finisher. Maybe it will turn out to be a net buff for some builds even if they remove the leap finisher, but it would be a shame for them to introduce a new aura and take away tempest's ability to use the finisher that generates that aura in the same patch. Then you also have them finally fixing chaos armor so that it works with tempest traits, which would also be another nice use for the leap finisher, since now you could share that chaos aura and also proc aura traits from it. If the leap finisher does remain then you have some pretty decent synergy with mesmers and necros. At least chaos aura can still be generated from blast finishers though, so the aura changes will still help support tempest slightly even if the leap finisher is removed.

I do not agree with your assessment for dragon's claw. Yes, you can use certain abilities in a niche and unintended way against stealth, but you should not have to rely on those sorts of gimmicks. Anet should introduce real tools against stealth instead. By real tools I don't mean band-aids like the marked change in WvW are not fun for either side.

@Ganathar.4956 said:I noticed that about the magentic leap rework too. Since it seems to be a dash type skill it is up in the air if it will remain a leap finisher. Maybe it will turn out to be a net buff for some builds even if they remove the leap finisher, but it would be a shame for them to introduce a new aura and take away tempest's ability to use the finisher that generates that aura in the same patch. Then you also have them finally fixing chaos armor so that it works with tempest traits, which would also be another nice use for the leap finisher, since now you could share that chaos aura and also proc aura traits from it. If the leap finisher does remain then you have some pretty decent synergy with mesmers and necros. At least chaos aura can still be generated from blast finishers though, so the aura changes will still help support tempest slightly even if the leap finisher is removed.

I do not agree with your assessment for dragon's claw. Yes, you can use certain abilities in a niche and unintended way against stealth, but you should not have to rely on those sorts of gimmicks. Anet should introduce real tools against stealth instead. By real tools I don't mean band-aids like the marked change in WvW are not fun for either side.

Hmm, interesting, I guess I never really noticed chaos aura/armor not proc'n tempest aura traits. But like you said it would be pointless if they removed leap finisher from magnetic leap because I know of no other way to proc it. In fact even with current build I barely notice chaos aura proc, and when it does I'm not sure if it's me or a mesmer lol.

Edit: You can create chaos aura with a blast too. Hmmm....so Frozen Burst, Sand Squall, and Aftershock....interesting.

Edit: Yep, just tested ethereal field with a blast, got the chaos aura, but no boon procs. Thanks for the info Sir, did not know that. So many synergies with this build I overlooked that one lol.

@Ganathar.4956 said:I noticed that about the magentic leap rework too. Since it seems to be a dash type skill it is up in the air if it will remain a leap finisher. Maybe it will turn out to be a net buff for some builds even if they remove the leap finisher, but it would be a shame for them to introduce a new aura and take away tempest's ability to use the finisher that generates that aura in the same patch. Then you also have them finally fixing chaos armor so that it works with tempest traits, which would also be another nice use for the leap finisher, since now you could share that chaos aura and also proc aura traits from it. If the leap finisher does remain then you have some pretty decent synergy with mesmers and necros. At least chaos aura can still be generated from blast finishers though, so the aura changes will still help support tempest slightly even if the leap finisher is removed.

I never liked using Dragons Claw for that purpose but it's the most reliable skill since the removal of Air and Fire Sigils to track a stealthed target.I did ask for a functional replacement in my OP because once it's gone, there's nothing.Reveal would be nice but im also happy scraping the barrel by using skills like I do with Dragons Claw.

For all I know maybe the way I used the skill was unintentional and needed a fix but considering every other class can use thier autoattack until it chains to track stealthed targets I doubt this is the case.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Ganathar.4956" said:I noticed that about the magentic leap rework too. Since it seems to be a dash type skill it is up in the air if it will remain a leap finisher. Maybe it will turn out to be a net buff for some builds even if they remove the leap finisher, but it would be a shame for them to introduce a new aura and take away tempest's ability to use the finisher that generates that aura in the same patch. Then you also have them finally fixing chaos armor so that it works with tempest traits, which would also be another nice use for the leap finisher, since now you could share that chaos aura and also proc aura traits from it. If the leap finisher does remain then you have some pretty decent synergy with mesmers and necros. At least chaos aura can still be generated from blast finishers though, so the aura changes will still help support tempest slightly even if the leap finisher is removed.

I never liked using Dragons Claw for that purpose but it's the most reliable skill since the removal of Air and Fire Sigils to track a stealthed target.I did ask for a functional replacement in my OP because once it's gone, there's nothing.Reveal would be nice but im also happy scraping the barrel by using skills like I do with Dragons Claw.

For all I know maybe the way I used the skill was unintentional and needed a fix but considering every other class can use thier autoattack until it chains to track stealthed targets I doubt this is the case.

I don't believe that the devs even took stealth tracking into account when changing dragon's claw. They are either unaware of or do not pay attention to such intricacies when balancing. I very much doubt that they wanted to "fix" this auto to not help with stealth tracking, even though they never created it for stealth tracking in the first place. Other classes chaining autos to find stealth is also one of those interactions that I believe Anet has never considered. This is very niche stuff and I have a hard time believing that they balance around it. They just changed dragon's claw this way because they think that it's a buff, which it kind of is when your opponents don't have stealth.

@Ganathar.4956 said:

I don't believe that the devs even took stealth tracking into account when changing dragon's claw. They are either unaware of or do not pay attention to such intricacies when balancing. I very much doubt that they wanted to "fix" this auto to not help with stealth tracking, even though they never created it for stealth tracking in the first place. Other classes chaining autos to find stealth is also one of those interactions that I believe Anet has never considered. This is very niche stuff and I have a hard time believing that they balance around it. They just changed dragon's claw this way because they think that it's a buff, which it kind of is when your opponents don't have stealth.

I can see the upsides of the skill changes especially when fighting through Mesmer clones and such, and I wouldn't have even mentioned it in my OP if I knew of atleast 1 skill on the DD weapon set that could accomplish the same functionality...

I think you may be right in your assessment of being unaware, but this is why the game is fantastic in combat because there's so many mechanics and niche stuff to use but maybe it was never intended because I'm reminded of the camera trick that was removed recently that let us shorten the range of our dashes/leaps.

It's not overly important in comparison to Magnetic Leap but hopefully someone at Anet can chime in or take it into consideration.