What Weapons for which Profession in the Next Expansion?

I'm surprised I haven't seen this question constantly popping up! (If there has, it must've been titled something else, I did search for it and couldn't find one) I play all classes except Engi and Necro, but I'll just name four of the ones I play.

Since I play Ele the most, I'd love to see mainhand Mace. It's not a conjured weapon, and I don't see Mace being used very often. I imagine the skills would be slow, leaving you vulnerable, but strong, inflicting things like weakness, cripple and vulnerability, in addition to the conditions dealt with the elements. Also, here's a weird thought -- Elementalist gains access to a new element: Venom.Basically, Ele gets Condi-Mace.

Warrior is my second-most played, I'd love to see them get Pistols. Though I recall seeing Rytlock dual wielding Pistol-Sword and wasn't he a Warrior? I guess if they gave Warrior pistols, people would think Rytlock was running the new elite from the very beginning. In which case, maybe Warrior could get melee-Staff, which can dish out things like stun, knockdown, and even reflect projectiles.

Revenant is my third-most played, and I feel like they could come out with something that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been seen yet -- Melee Sceptre, which could be used to inflict the wrath of the channelled legend -- which I strongly believe should be Kuunavang from GW1, because there's a dozen dragon antagonists and scarce dragon protagonists. Yes, I know Glint exists, but dragons are cool. And if not a dragon, then a recently deceased character from PoF. There's a few, I won't name any to avoid spoilers.

Finally, I'll go ahead and say that I'd like to see Ranger use Rifle! I can understand why they shouldn't , because hunters, animals, pets, etc. But maybe they're using the gun to protect the animals, idk. Though I wouldn't want to encourage pewpew memes any further, it just seems Ranger can't escape it. It just feels like a Ranger would naturally carry a rifle around.

But that's just me. What about you?

@Thundabolt.8541 said:I'm surprised I haven't seen this question constantly popping up!

Maybe it's a wild guess but I'd say this question isn't popping up because there is no future expansion planned. Not only that but Anet has stated LS is their preferred method for content delivery at the moment. That might change (it has before) but it is what it is for now.

A discussion about introducing new elite specs via LS, if possible, would be more relevant imho.

thats becuz anet just fired 100s of their employees, and the guy wrote in his essay theres gonna be season 5 with no mention of an expansion. so the future looks grim and most of us dont expect a new exp any time soon...imo anet should just start an optional subscription model, ppl r gonna start a riot, but its better than the game dying or fading into oblivion due to no profits. i would pay a sub for 500 gems per month + exclusive mount skins or other skins.

I believe somebody said before on forums that Anet once claimed they won't ever again add new types of weapons to the game. What is understandable, current complexity is already way out of their control. It's better to spend efforts balancing current selection of classes and weapons, than making this mess even worse.

@MoriMoriMori.5349 said:I believe somebody said before on forums that Anet once claimed they won't ever again add new types of weapons to the game. What is understandable, current complexity is already way out of their control. It's better to spend efforts balancing current selection of classes and weapons, than making this mess even worse.

I recall an ArenaNet dev state the (more or less) opposite, actually. That it's not something they're currently looking at, but also not something off the table. Thought it was said in one of the AFCs but not finding it. So it was probably on reddit which means good luck finding it. :I

@LucianDK.8615 said:Weve known ls5 is comming for a long time now, was announced before the layoffs.It's not about LS5. It's about them being completely silent about possile expac at the time when merely mentioning it would do them a lot of good, and about any mention about expac significantly missing from their info about both near and far future plans for the game.

At this moment everything points to them not working on an expac, and not planning on doing any later on.

Back to the idea of the thread, I'd like to see warriors get "empty hand". Basically, if they equip a one-handed weapon in the main hand and leave the off hand empty, they gain bonuses. The stats of the main hand weapon apply twice, as does the Sigil. (Yes, that means that they can actually get the same sigil twice this way. Nobody else can do that, so it's an interesting bonus to doing this.) New mechanic: A "flow state" where they gain access to new weapon slot 4&5 skills when fighting single handed, to represent the increased skill they have while in this zen-like state. Duration is limited by adrenaline.

Elementalist: Longbow. Elementalist staff is more of a long range AoE weapon. Longbow could be long ranged, but focused down on single targets. New mechanic: Stacking charges to your element when you attack while staying in that element. When you change elements, the more charges you have, the bigger the bonus (or boom) you get when you change.

Ranger: Rifle. Basically, a ranger answer to the Deadeye. Instead of using stealth and malice, their Rifle 1 skill grows stronger the longer you hold the button down. But this Reveals them while building power. Rifle 5 to kneel can be kept, though. Or maybe make it a "drop prone" skill, so that they can't dodge and have to rely on the pets to keep things off of them while they build up to that big shot. New mechanic: Loss of pet swapping, only one pet. New skill: Nature spirits that generate elemental fields.

Assuming they don’t add any new weapon types with the next expansion (id guess 4th is the earliest we may see that):

Elementalist: id love to see longbow or greatsword! Or, if we get the chance to combine weapons for other specs, offhand sword because I desperately want to dual wield!

Warrior: since before PoF, I’ve been hoping for a Gunslinger spec with both pistols. Spell breaker showed us that Anet is willing to add 2 weapons in one spec.

Engineer: I think mace would be really cool as others have said. That or staff.

Mesmer: warhorn could be cool. I’d like to see how distorting sound could add to the mesmer’s ability to confuse enemies.

Guardian: daggers would be cool I think! Warhorn could also be cool, some kind of support spec

Ranger: a focus, and a specialization expanding on nature magic, and less so on pets.

Necromancer: I think hammer could be unique, a heavy hitting knight of death.

Revenant: greatsword would be epic, particularly if we got a norn legend. Depends on where the next expansion is though.

Thief: scepter, id like to see a spec expanding on shadow magic

This wasn't meant to be so much of a speculation post, nor a prediction or even a presumption.

I enjoy talking about this subject simply because it's fun to think about the possibilities.

But, if I had to argue, I'd say that it's healthy to discuss things like this, especially in public where Aenet can see our thoughts, you never know what you might accidentally inspire them to do.

There's no harm in just thinking about it, right?

@Thundabolt.8541 said:Revenant is my third-most played, and I feel like they could come out with something that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been seen yet -- Melee Sceptre, which could be used to inflict the wrath of the channelled legend -- which I strongly believe should be Kuunavang from GW1, because there's a dozen dragon antagonists and scarce dragon protagonists. Yes, I know Glint exists, but dragons are cool. And if not a dragon, then a recently deceased character from PoF. There's a few, I won't name any to avoid spoilers.

Finally, I'll go ahead and say that I'd like to see Ranger use Rifle! I can understand why they shouldn't , because hunters, animals, pets, etc. But maybe they're using the gun to protect the animals, idk. Though I wouldn't want to encourage pewpew memes any further, it just seems Ranger can't escape it. It just feels like a Ranger would naturally carry a rifle around.

But that's just me. What about you?

I think what each class gets would depend on the setting. I'm getting the impression you're assuming Cantha, which would certainly offer plenty to work with.

For the Revenant legend, what about Talon Silverwing? Sword-and-shield is already available unfortunately, but there's no reason Talon couldn't provide a different pair of skills than Glint for the shield, and he could easily be relevant to the story and Canthan exiles in a number of ways.

Ranger, I'm going to go back to GW1 as well and say hammer. Bunny thumper was something of an icon and a CC-focused ranger spec is not really available at the moment.

Some specializations would be grasping at straws a little owing to the number of weapons already available - the Warrior being one you also mentioned and I think that one is down to pistols as you suggested or a shortbow for realistic options.

Mesmer has just about run out of sensible options as well I have to say. The big archetype that it doesn't do very well right now is denial however, and I think a focus on auditory hallucinations - a Siren for example - would be a good way to approach that theme, and lends itself nicely to the Warhorn.

Guard sword offhand / because it’s cool and guard rarely get cool stuffMesmer bow / sirens landing has Mesmers with bowRanger war horn main hand / calling a second petRev great sword / death knight theme finally admittedEle hammer / some world builder specThief focus / because we had that ninja style fan in the gemstoreWarrior staff/ banner commander specEngi mace / we have hammer skin maces in gameNecro sword/ it matches the sacrifice theme clunky weapons like hammer seems not to fit

Next xpact if ever but anet can deliver those without xpact as well

Archived