What's a good/easy class and build for a total pvp newbies?

Neko.9541

The reason why you see warrior, ranger and necromancer on the far left side of the profession selection screen is because it symbolically tells players the profession's difficulty curve.

Play reaper if you want to be a more mobile necromancer and if you want to deal a lot of AoE damage. Scourge is great for holding nodes and can punish players who aren't careful, but they lack sustain which is why you should only play scourge if you have a good support, mainly a firebrand. Core necromancer is not bad, but the core shroud is a mess. Two out of the five skills are not worth using (Dark Path and Tainted Shackles) so that leaves you with two power skills (Life Blast and Life Transfer) and one utility skill (Doom), leaving you to play core necromancer with power builds than condition builds.

Core ranger and druid are solid. Core ranger has good damage if you can attack enemies from the distance and especially if you attack them from non-teleport spots. That way professions with teleport like thief, mesmer and revenant won't be able to burst you. Druid is a solid support. While it's lackluster compared to a firebrand, it can still hold nodes and keep allies alive. As for soulbeast... it's basically core ranger only without the need to carefully plan out your positioning and attack enemies from the distance. Just rush in there without a care in the world, knowing that your copy-pasted Unrelenting Assault animation will help you teleport to enemies and kill them.

If you want to have not such a hard time playing PvP, if you want a profession that has great damage, a fair amount of stability, cleansing and damage immunity while also feeling like an awesome juggernaut, play warrior. Whether you play core warrior or spellbreaker is all personal preference. Core warrior uses the axe and therefor has more damage whereas spellbreaker is about removing boons from enemies. The balance patch still hasn't been released so we don't know if the berserker spec overhaul will change berserker to the point of becoming viable in PvP.

Scourge is definitely the best new PvP player spec. It's very easy to play ( Stand on point press buttons) but needs to be babysat to truly shine. However as a new player, you will be inexperienced and thus you will need babysitting from your team no matter what you play. So you might as well play the spec where needing support is part of its design.

I’m not that great, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Scourge is a good start, it is easy to play and swings teamfights in your favour; it primarily stays in group during fights. Your AoE/corrupts create immense pressure and area denial. If you are sPvPing solo, it is best to bring the Blood traitline version, for more sustain. Scourge is an omnipresent class due to its effectiveness, so when you bring one, players are likely to know how to play off of you; if not, simply type in chat to request support, a lot of people have classes to switch to that can help you out: Firebrand support, Tempest bunker, Scrapper bunker, even Druid bunker. Anything that can peel (draw fire off you) for you, sustain you and save you from downed state. What all good Necros learn to do though, is doing the jump puzzles in sPvP maps; Necros in general are vulnerable to control effects followed by extreme burst damage (Soulbeasts with Longbow, Shatter Mesmers, Spellbreaker in Rampage etc), so you need to learn positioning and kiting (use obstacles for projectiles, and places accessible only with jump to avoid teleport skills), which is arguably a lot more important than mechanical skill for Necros.

Always remember whatever damage you avoid by positioning well instead of a powerful defensive CD, you are generating free value, and pulling ahead in terms of time, offensive skills, defensive skills, and health. And because Necro has very little in terms of getaway cards, you essentially benefit doubly so from good positioning. Scourge in the current meta-game is the primary target for enemy focus because of its teamfight-destroying power, and you’ll feel this as you get better and rank up.

Rangers are also good, Longbow Soulbeast builds designed to camp in Beastmode are easy for beginners and bring great single target damage; your role is mostly a Roamer with Longbow, popping Sic Em and Quickening Zephyr to greatly increase the spike damage of Rapid Fire. Beware of reflects, and as with Necro, positioning is important. What Ranger does better than the Necro though, is in the ability to disengage using stealth, Greatsword Swoop, and bird/rock gazelle Beastmode dash. Roamers need to make a bit more of a decision in terms of where to go to help out, so it is best to ask around/watch videos on what rotation is.

Warrior I won’t recommend to players new to PvP, since its role has always been Duelist, and your personal performance matters more as your job is to do well in 1v1 or hold out while outnumbered 1v2.

Guardian has the easy to play Core Guardian so you can look into that on build websites like Metabattle (good enough for general play). Firebrand plays off of other people and is team-dependent, more so than Scourge so is not recommended. Dragonhunter can be fun but it is closer in role to the Warrior.

Revenant, Thief, Mesmer are all classes that reward knowledge and skill in sPvP, as they are not big on passive defenses. Don’t listen to bitter players telling you “just spam skills and win lol” because it is very easy to make a mistake and contribute nothing to the team.

Engineer and Elementalist have quite a few skills and combos in their arsenal and there is a bigger learning curve; I don’t believe these should be the first ones to pick, as without practise you’ll be fighting with your toolkit as much as you’ll be fighting other players.

@Hoodie.1045 said:The reason why you see warrior, ranger and necromancer on the far left side of the profession selection screen is because it symbolically tells players the profession's difficulty curve.

Play reaper if you want to be a more mobile necromancer and if you want to deal a lot of AoE damage. Scourge is great for holding nodes and can punish players who aren't careful, but they lack sustain which is why you should only play scourge if you have a good support, mainly a firebrand. Core necromancer is not bad, but the core shroud is a mess. Two out of the five skills are not worth using (Dark Path and Tainted Shackles) so that leaves you with two power skills (Life Blast and Life Transfer) and one utility skill (Doom), leaving you to play core necromancer with power builds than condition builds.

Core ranger and druid are solid. Core ranger has good damage if you can attack enemies from the distance and especially if you attack them from non-teleport spots. That way professions with teleport like thief, mesmer and revenant won't be able to burst you. Druid is a solid support. While it's lackluster compared to a firebrand, it can still hold nodes and keep allies alive. As for soulbeast... it's basically core ranger only without the need to carefully plan out your positioning and attack enemies from the distance. Just rush in there without a care in the world, knowing that your copy-pasted Unrelenting Assault animation will help you teleport to enemies and kill them.

If you want to have not such a hard time playing PvP, if you want a profession that has great damage, a fair amount of stability, cleansing and damage immunity while also feeling like an awesome juggernaut, play warrior. Whether you play core warrior or spellbreaker is all personal preference. Core warrior uses the axe and therefor has more damage whereas spellbreaker is about removing boons from allies. The balance patch still hasn't been released so we don't know if the berserker spec overhaul will change berserker to the point of becoming viable in PvP.

Although I am not a ranger main. I disagree what you don't need to position yourself as ranger.

A ranger absolutely needs to learn positioning. Else your burst will get line of sighted. You also need to know when to pull out n which spots is best suited for that. If u r going dps, a rev or warrior will absolutely wreck your hp in seconds if they catch you.

Ranger but there is a trick, to play a good ranger in pvp it takes alot of practice, this doesn't mean you can't go longbow and pew-pew from far if something wrong-run away.They say necro but luck of mobility will make you stay with group and hope .Warrior is tough chose, seems tanky enough but if you don't know what to do, you will find self downed quit alot.

@"Naga.9623" said:Thank you all for the recommendations. So it's necro, scourge, core ranger, soulbeast, & warrior the most suggested. Going to look thru them in metabattle & youtube guide. See & try out which 1 I can play comfortably.

I'm sure you've picked something by now, just by 2c though. This is without knowing your ability in even PvE.

The old "3left professions are the simplest" doesn't really hold true in my opinion with the Expansions. Most notably: core engineer is very difficult for a new player, but both holo and scrapper are very easy. Holo would be my suggestion for any new to pvp player, followed by scrapper/spellbreaker, then sic me Soulbeast (note if you dont learnt to position/setup, players will just dodge ur burst and eat you alive).Scourge is pretty good as mentioned, not all that hard, but also pretty squishy IMO.The only "core" classes I'd recommend for a new PvP player are warrior or guardian.Most other classes and elite specs have harder "rotations", especially in the heat of PvP combat, or are just too unforgiving. Eg. Druid bunkers on new players are just more meat for the grinder.Your biggest enemy though will be the match finder. Always restart your queue fi der when it gets to the average wait time as a minimum ;)GL

Ranger no matter what spec, Swordweaver, Bunkerscrapper, Coreguard/DH, Holo, Bunkerchrono, Condimirage in terms of they are easy to play and will carry you for quite a bit even tho not all are meta but still good to carry mistakes and unexperienced plays both mechanically and for rotations. Ok are also Warriors.You don't want Necro (isn't hard to play itself but needs skill for kiting and positioning), Powermes, Thief (except of some braindead condi or DE specs), Rev.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Absolutely
scrapper
! It's easy, it's straight forward, it's tanky. At some point you might fall asleep, but you don't need big positioning and kiting (which scourge might require, depending on your allies and enemies).

WhAT? But engineers told me Scrapper was 500 IQ to play.

You can play anything with 500 IQ or less. Depends on the player, not the build. Yeah some builds are easier to get into, but I'm sure there are always things you can learn in every build.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Absolutely
scrapper
! It's easy, it's straight forward, it's tanky. At some point you might fall asleep, but you don't need big positioning and kiting (which scourge might require, depending on your allies and enemies).

WhAT? But engineers told me Scrapper was 500 IQ to play.

It's easy to play at low levels and can carry you to gold 1 or so. Sure. My old guild leader who was in silver 1 thought he would get to plat 1 because of it. Nope he went to silver 3 n basically stayed there.