Forum Archives: A Terrible Fashion Statement

Piogre.2164

As many are aware, the old forums are going away quite soon, and with them, hundreds of pieces of GW2 history.

We can't save everything, but we should try to save and archive as many of these historical threads as possible using archive.org.

As an example, here's a piece of history from the old Engineer board. [Hobosacks Hobo Sack Kit Engineer]

So that future generations can easily find archived threads, post your archive.org links here with searchable tags like you see above, so that archived threads can be searched down later.

Remember that if you want to save a whole thread, you need to save every page individually

Here's a Python script that can be used to archive every page of a thread

To use this script, replace the URL at the top with the URL of the FIRST page of the thread you want to archive, and replace lastpage with the number of pages of the thread (or at least, the last page you care about archiving) then run with Python 3

Be sure to check that the thread you're plugging in has not already been archived, to avoid undue stress on archive.org's servers as well as arenanet's servers.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Wait a second, I thought it was said that the old forum was going to be archived. Therefore, nothing will be lost.

Did I misread that?

Not forever I think.

The existing forums will be locked later today, but our plan is to keep the current forums accessible in an archived, read-only mode until the end of October.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Wait a second, I thought it was said that the old forum was going to be archived. Therefore, nothing will be lost.

Did I misread that?

You very much misread it - the old forums will be around for about six weeks then they'll vanish

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Gaile, will those old posts still be available after the old forums are closed in October? As in will there be any publicly accessible full archive of the forums? The blog post suggested it's all going to go (edited:) bye bye :( (Ok, feline filter, in what way is "proof" without the r in it a dirty word?)

I would "mention" you since there's an option to be notified when one is mentioned but I don't know how to do that. Is it like in Twitch or ESO forums where you use the @ before the user name?

As I have explained, we will not be hosting an archive of the forums after around October 31st. However,
you
have the ability to archive any post that you like, using Archive.org. Go check it out!

This should be the entirety of Game Update Notes - every page and thread there should be available in the archive, with a most-recent date of 9/13/2017 or more recent.

If a thread there isn't in the archive, let me know because part of my script broke -- I'm working on a script that can archive an entire subforum at a time and this was the first live run

@Piogre.2164 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Wait a second, I thought it was said that the old forum
was
going to be archived. Therefore, nothing will be lost.

Did I misread that?

You very much misread it - the old forums will be around for about six weeks then they'll vanish[...]

Thanks for finding that quote for me, I did indeed miss it. Well, guess that's settled then. ;)

UPDATE: I think my newest version of the script is working properly now. If it is, it should be capable of saving a whole subforum to archive.org -- I'm currently running it on the dev tracer with a peekthrough to those threads, so if it goes overnight with no problems then by sometime tomorrow morning every thread in the old forum that has a dev response should be scraped into the archive.

If this test is successful, it may yet be possible to upload the entirely of the old forum threads to archive.org before they go away (at least the visible ones -- the hidden archived ones such as wvw matchup threads, etc can't be accessed by the script.)

Archived