Request for cache information headers for cached resources — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Request for cache information headers for cached resources

Flomix.3982Flomix.3982 Member
edited April 24, 2019 in API Development

If I'm not mistaken there are a lot of endpoints that are cached, so the result might be off by up to 5 minutes or so.
It would be really helpful if that could be reflected by header values, so it is transparent if / when / how long data is cached.

Example:
1. I access https://api.guildwars2.com/v2/account/raids to get the raid progress. The first call takes a bit longer than subsequent calls, sometimes 5000 vs 100 ms, so I assume the first call has fresh data, subsequent not.
2. I finish a raid encounter.
3. I access /account/raids again, but the just finished encounter is missing.
4. I have to poll /account/raids for up to 5 minutes to see the updated encounter list.

What that implies is that whenever I read such data, I have to delay for at least 5 minutes and read the data again, to be sure that the data is current and not cached.

Suggestion
1. Add a header value indicating the "age" of the data. I first thought of the "Last-Modified"-Header you recently added to some endpoints. (But maybe a different header would be more useful, see explanation below)
2. In cases where you know the caching timings, add an "Expires" header. If the resource was cached at 12:00:00 and I access it at 12:01:00, the "expires" Header could be 12:05:00, so I would know that polling the resource for the next 4 minutes would be of no value, reducing your server load.
3. That would also mean that caching mechanisms like "If-Modified-Since" would work. A 304 for a large resource like /account/achievements would also reduce server load quite a lot.

Last-Modified or other Header?
There is a scenario where it would be better to use a separate header than Last-Modified, because both informations (cache date and actual modification date) are needed.
"This achievement list did not change since 5 days" and "this achievement list is from 2 minutes ago, so fairly up to date but not entirely fresh" are two completely different informations that are both valuable.
If I use an endpoint like /account/achievements, which can be quite large and expensive to build / parse, using the If-Modified-Since mechanism can be quite powerful. That means I want to get a 304 as much as possible until the locally cached version did not change. But I still want to know if the resource is fresh or deprecated, for reasons stated above. With 2 different headers I could

• know how up-to-date the information is
  • know when I can re-read the resource to get a fresh version to minimize polling
  • still use the If-Modified-Since-Header to drastically save up bandwith
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.