Why not just make Dragon Emblem Clothing Outfit for sale on the gemstore for 0 gems — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why not just make Dragon Emblem Clothing Outfit for sale on the gemstore for 0 gems

It would make it fair for everyone EU and US
From what I've heard even some US players didn't get the codes because they ran out of codes
Seems like greedy people abused this promotion to make easy money and sell these codes for 40~80$ on virtual shops.

It happned before with your kung fu tea thingy promotion and now its happening again.
Just sell it for 0 gems, that way everyone will enjoy and obtain it and the people who were greedy enough to make dozens of users will get absolutely nothing.

Reward your playerbase and punish the exploiters seems like a fair deal right?!

<1

Comments

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭

    I imagine there is some business reason the give away is region locked, still think it's kitten of them to do.

    "Maining" necromancer now but I play all professions really.
    Lets work together to improve the player's experience.

  • phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    I have another question really, why not change that dragon emblem to HoT and/or PoF icon for such giveaways?
    On the topic, doesn't VPN works this time?
    It's aweb-site, almost sure you guys that want the t-shirt can VPN

    "There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

  • Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭

    A 0 gem item doesn't market the game to new players, and it doesn't market Alienware/Dell to existing players. It's a marketing campaign.

    signature

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

    Why when you spent your gems on things and got value from them?

  • I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @kharmin.7683 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Prestige skin, lol. You post screenies of that on Instagram or something?

    To OP: the reason is that this promotion is designed to drive traffic towards a promotional partner, in this case Alienware, said traffic which is then remunerated to ANET.

    In other words, players go to Alienware site to get "prestige" skin, Alienware sends money to ANET.

    If players go to ANET gem store to get "prestige" skin for 0 gems, ANET pockets $0 in revenue.

    Don't mistake the re-release of this "prestige" skin as something ANET did because of their love for the community - this was purely a business decision (as most of their decisions are, because spoiler alert, they are a company that exists to make money)

    Right. How much is Alienware paying Anet for the player data that is being freely given when players "register"? To whom else is Alienware then selling that data?

    This is the point of the promo.. ANET get something in return for steering traffic over to Alienware for you to pass your juicy details to them.. Outside of NA that may cause issues and lawsuits.
    But the fact ANET are prepared to "yet again" push a 2 tier community is what leaves the bad stink. So as I said previously the only thing players can do if they want to show their disapproval of this kind of thing is keep the wallet shut.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • Setz.9675Setz.9675 Member ✭✭

    Thankfully I was able to get the outfit during this event and its by far the best thing Ive gotten in the past 5 years of the 6 im playing, trenchcoat and buttcape wars is over for me.
    That being said imo there should be a promotion akin to buy 4k gems for 50$ and get the outfit for free during xx:xx date. That will boost gem sales, same with that ingame gw2 hat, if you group that with a $$ for gems promotions Im sure anet will bank hard.

  • FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    @InvaGir.9158 said:
    Just sell it for 0 gems, that way everyone will enjoy and obtain it and the people who were greedy enough to make dozens of users will get absolutely nothing.

    Reward your playerbase and punish the exploiters seems like a fair deal right?!

    They could change it, but they wont. Because they have no other unique item to give away for promotions to make said promotions effective enough, and making a new item for promotions like these would meet with similar problems, with more investment.

    They could ofcourse pick anything else in the gemstore, but those are specifically bought with gems and thus people spend effort/gold or actual money on those, giving those for free would be slightly controversial as well.

    I dunno, I think that such promotional items given away for free misses the point of advertising completely.

    However, if they had regular promotions like this, where everyone could get the skin in the end, that would be nice to know. Now its like: i need to wait for a random promotion Arenanet does to get lucky.

  • Zalani.9827Zalani.9827 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:
    I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

    I made the mistake of registering my second account and now I have to go contact [email protected] to get it deleted.

    Jadis Narnia, Sylvari Ranger of [VoS]

    Praise Joko!

  • Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Zalani.9827 said:

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:
    I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

    I made the mistake of registering my second account and now I have to go contact [email protected] to get it deleted.

    Great promotion arenanet.

    How is that their fault?

    If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

  • Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:
    I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

    So you didn't participate in the promotion, didn't get the reward, decided to continue not participating, and now you're mad at them?

    Oh well.

    If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

  • Dahkeus.8243Dahkeus.8243 Member ✭✭✭

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

    This outfit hasn't been rare for a long time. It was already given out for free with some bubble tea promotion a while back.

  • Zexanima.7851Zexanima.7851 Member ✭✭✭

    @Trise.2865 said:

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:
    I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

    So you didn't participate in the promotion, didn't get the reward, decided to continue not participating, and now you're mad at them?

    Oh well.

    A multibillion dollar company doesn't need you to defend them. I participated in the promotion and didn't get the reward. They can spend more than 5 seconds planning a promotion and think ahead of how the player base will view it instead of jumping on the first company that makes an offer and waves a dollar bill in front of their face.

    "Maining" necromancer now but I play all professions really.
    Lets work together to improve the player's experience.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    ArenaNet has billions of dollars? Well done, then!

  • moonstarmac.4603moonstarmac.4603 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    That's ok, the Dragon Emblem Outfit is "Out of Stock" now anyway.
    Just curious, is it this one?
    Dragon_Emblem_Clothing_Outfit_human_female_front.jpg

    Wolf Moonstar
    Dragon Council, Third Seat: Jade Sea Haven (Jade) of Ehmry Bay
    My Ryzen Rig

  • Jaquelidor.2618Jaquelidor.2618 Member ✭✭
    edited April 25, 2019

    @Trise.2865 said:

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:
    I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

    So you didn't participate in the promotion, didn't get the reward, decided to continue not participating, and now you're mad at them?

    Oh well.

    I would have been quite willing to participate but the one item I was interested in, the one item it seems most of the players in these threads was interested in, was of such a limited quantity it was gone before the blast even reached some players. To me that seems very poor planning on ANet, Dell, and Alienware's part. I would think they would want as many people participating as possible in their campaign rather than create a situation that would turn players away and create ill will.

    Also, I'm not "mad at them". I think the word "disappointed" would be more apt. Perhaps with a touch of "bewildered" at their executing such a poorly thought out promotion.

  • Leablo.2651Leablo.2651 Member ✭✭✭

    The purpose of running promotions through third parties is to have access to the audience that the third party has, which presumably includes people who are not yet part of your own audience; it would be completely self-defeating to give away a promo-exclusive item from within the game since you are not bringing in any new players. While it would make things convenient for existing players, it is not a realistic answer as it does not achieve any of the company's goals for giving away these items.

    That said, it is true that Anet seems to be choosing some very questionable partners to be working with. But on the flipside, I think players here are missing another reality of the marketing business: such partners may be the only ones willing to work with Anet under the terms that they are seeking. To wit, you get what you pay for.

  • Yamazuki.6073Yamazuki.6073 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't understand why people complain often about something they won't ever use. You only want it because others have it and you don't. It's not like this promotion gave out anything of value in terms of in-game items.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dahkeus.8243 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

    This outfit hasn't been rare for a long time. It was already given out for free with some bubble tea promotion a while back.

    Yeah it became even rarer after that shambles of a promotion or did you miss the fact that players got duped into handing over details then have the terms of the promo suddenly changed on them so that all non US players could not participate... so yeah it is a rare skin that unless you hopped on a plane many moons back and gone to Paris.. no dice!
    TBH I said it at the time of the KFT debacle, it felt poorly thought through even sniffing of desperation, this doesn't feel much different tbh.. but hey I guess you reap what you sow.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • coso.9173coso.9173 Member ✭✭✭

    is there some way to preview it?

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Might try this vendor; see if the NPC has previews: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Trader_(Merchant)#vendor19

  • MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

    Too late. Lots of people getting keys beforehand to give away or sale have completely devalued it already.

    The smartest thing ANet could do is waiting some time from the promotion, give it away to everyone in-game for something easy to do like a survey about certain game changes, or to anyone with an account that is old enough, then in future promotions make sure it's one item per player by requiring API keys to check accounts, and if possible avoid using exclusive items that can't be obtained any other way, but everyone will still want anyways, like BL keys or a RNG mount license.

  • Zeivu.3615Zeivu.3615 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2019

    So many people think they are entitled to 'free' pixels. Go and fight your gov't for a bill that allows giveaways that have no monetary value across the boarders before you start picketing Anet. You know how many exclusive weapons and minis gw1 had for China and other Asian territories in their promos? Geebus, most people with codes only got a mini egg that is sold in the Gem store that isn't worth more than 5 bucks.

  • Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

    We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

    These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

    I take it you ignored the part where they mentioned that they're working on other promotions for those outside of the U.S.? You also realize that part of the issue is because of the stupidity of EU? Yes, I said the stupidity of the EU, because of their draconian measures it restricts how businesses can promote themselves, to many regulations and laws telling individuals how to live and/or raise their children(it's not the governments job to tell me how to raise my children, that is my responsibility alone).

    Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

  • Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

    We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

    These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

    Preach, sis. As someone from Aus, i can't even get a mini egg :'(

    Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2019

    Since the game is about aesthetic, everything should be available for everybody.
    Which doesn't mean that it should be for free, but only available.

    Want a skin which is unlocked after 10 cm achievements? You can go for it.
    Want a skin which is worth 9999 golds? You can go for it
    Want a skin which is part of a bundle which cost 2k gems? You can go for it
    Want a skin which is randomly dropped from BLC? Then it should be to be traded through tp, because skins locked within random chests are just a scam.

    edit: about this specific one, isn't it sometimes for sale through streams/events/etc? A seasonal stuff i mean.

  • @Zaklex.6308 said:

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

    We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

    These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

    I take it you ignored the part where they mentioned that they're working on other promotions for those outside of the U.S.? You also realize that part of the issue is because of the stupidity of EU? Yes, I said the stupidity of the EU, because of their draconian measures it restricts how businesses can promote themselves, to many regulations and laws telling individuals how to live and/or raise their children(it's not the governments job to tell me how to raise my children, that is my responsibility alone).

    cry me a river.

    After the kung fu tea disaster, they could have done that. They didn't.

    This is not about 'the EU'. Because, guess what, Canadians can't participate either. Or South Africans. Or Indians.

    So that is 2x outfit for US/NA 0x outfit for everybody else.

    Looks good, doesn't it?

  • It's obvious that people just want a chance to get the Dragon Emblem outfit and don't really care much for the other prizes, even the cash prizes, so I'm wondering why ANet won't just have an event where EVERYONE can have the opportunity to earn the outfit regardless of what region they're from.

  • Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:

    @Zaklex.6308 said:

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    This is the second (third?) time they pull off things like this. Always NA and US, never the rest.

    We DESERVE equal treatment and WE DESERVE an apology from ANETS top employees for this. They screwed up with kung fu tea, now they repeat the same stupid mistake? Does that sound like a good business decision? Yes? No?

    These are the moments, where I wish I could demand all the money back I spend on gems.... which is quite a lot.

    I take it you ignored the part where they mentioned that they're working on other promotions for those outside of the U.S.? You also realize that part of the issue is because of the stupidity of EU? Yes, I said the stupidity of the EU, because of their draconian measures it restricts how businesses can promote themselves, to many regulations and laws telling individuals how to live and/or raise their children(it's not the governments job to tell me how to raise my children, that is my responsibility alone).

    cry me a river.

    After the kung fu tea disaster, they could have done that. They didn't.

    This is not about 'the EU'. Because, guess what, Canadians can't participate either. Or South Africans. Or Indians.

    So that is 2x outfit for US/NA 0x outfit for everybody else.

    Looks good, doesn't it?

    Can you get Alienware or Dell products in those countries? If you can then it's a design fault of whomever put the site together, if however, you can not purchase products from those companies in those countries, then it's working as intended and some other program will be rolled out(except probably for South Africa and India, neither of which are considered major markets for such a promotion, heck, they might not even be a market at all for all we know...we don't know every country the game is sold in or available, so it's a lot of speculation on your part).

    Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

  • Dahkeus.8243Dahkeus.8243 Member ✭✭✭

    @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

    @Dahkeus.8243 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

    This outfit hasn't been rare for a long time. It was already given out for free with some bubble tea promotion a while back.

    Yeah it became even rarer after that shambles of a promotion or did you miss the fact that players got duped into handing over details then have the terms of the promo suddenly changed on them so that all non US players could not participate... so yeah it is a rare skin that unless you hopped on a plane many moons back and gone to Paris.. no dice!
    TBH I said it at the time of the KFT debacle, it felt poorly thought through even sniffing of desperation, this doesn't feel much different tbh.. but hey I guess you reap what you sow.

    It became "rarer"? Umm, do you realize that outfits aren't ever taken away? Just because it didn't saturate the playerbase with these outfits as much as it could have hardly means that the outfits somehow became more scarce.

    Hell, I got two copies of the outfit at this point because I got my first from the game's release when I met the devs at a signing event in a Gamestop and the second from that bizarre bubble tea event.

    I also remember Divinity's Reach after the Bubble Tea event was filled with everyone running around in the outfit. Just because people got bored of using it doesn't mean less people have it now.

  • Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

    People don't want it because its rare
    People are angry its unavailable.
    This is a big finger to over half of the playerbase.
    I'm fine with lotteries and the like, but I'm angrier than a robbed skritt because only US people had a chance.
    All prestige it has is artificial.

    To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

  • kitten Anet. This stupid outfit is just a carrot to further exploit their player base with stupid promos with kitten companies whose websites don't work. They also do these things when most of NA are at work so mostly scalpers get the keys. And poor EU didn't even get a chance. But after firing your community manager who was with the company for 18 years you can tell they don't have a clue. It's like a Dilbert cartoon meets Farside.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dahkeus.8243 said:

    @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

    @Dahkeus.8243 said:

    @DanAlcedo.3281 said:
    Because then, everyone would have it and devalue it.

    There was a Mini that was only given out at a contest.

    It had prestige.

    Years later anet gave it out for free.

    Now it is a worthless mini nobody cares about.

    People want the outfit because its rare and not because it looks good.

    If it looses its rarity, it would be a dead skin.

    This outfit hasn't been rare for a long time. It was already given out for free with some bubble tea promotion a while back.

    Yeah it became even rarer after that shambles of a promotion or did you miss the fact that players got duped into handing over details then have the terms of the promo suddenly changed on them so that all non US players could not participate... so yeah it is a rare skin that unless you hopped on a plane many moons back and gone to Paris.. no dice!
    TBH I said it at the time of the KFT debacle, it felt poorly thought through even sniffing of desperation, this doesn't feel much different tbh.. but hey I guess you reap what you sow.

    It became "rarer"? Umm, do you realize that outfits aren't ever taken away? Just because it didn't saturate the playerbase with these outfits as much as it could have hardly means that the outfits somehow became more scarce.

    Hell, I got two copies of the outfit at this point because I got my first from the game's release when I met the devs at a signing event in a Gamestop and the second from that bizarre bubble tea event.

    I also remember Divinity's Reach after the Bubble Tea event was filled with everyone running around in the outfit. Just because people got bored of using it doesn't mean less people have it now.

    Whoosh.. I think you missed the sarcastic point being made, but oh well.

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • People complaining about privacy. Just make a dummy email account, and erase it afterwards. The rewards are code base that you plug into the redeem codes section. Does not have to be tied to your account.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Shadow Order.7258 said:
    kitten Anet. This stupid outfit is just a carrot to further exploit their player base with stupid promos with kitten companies whose websites don't work. They also do these things when most of NA are at work so mostly scalpers get the keys. And poor EU didn't even get a chance. But after firing your community manager who was with the company for 18 years you can tell they don't have a clue. It's like a Dilbert cartoon meets Farside.

    'They' didn't fire their community manager; she left of her own accord, to allow others more opportunity.

  • AlexxxDelta.1806AlexxxDelta.1806 Member ✭✭✭

    @Zaklex.6308 said:
    You also realize that part of the issue is because of the stupidity of EU? Yes, I said the stupidity of the EU, because of their draconian measures it restricts how businesses can promote themselves, to many regulations and laws telling individuals how to live and/or raise their children(it's not the governments job to tell me how to raise my children, that is my responsibility alone).

    Do you have a source, like a dev quote, claiming the issue is with EU legislation ? I can't find it in Anet's comments in this thread. Or is it unfounded speculation presented as a fact?

  • I'm liking the consistency regarding oceanic players such as myself tbh. Get offered Jack, receive Jack. But as we say down here DILLIGAF.

  • Zeivu.3615Zeivu.3615 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2019

    @wulfheart.8206 said:
    It's obvious that people just want a chance to get the Dragon Emblem outfit and don't really care much for the other prizes, even the cash prizes, so I'm wondering why ANet won't just have an event where EVERYONE can have the opportunity to earn the outfit regardless of what region they're from.

    International Laws. That's why. To make it available to everyone they would literally have to design a contest that abides all known (and unknown) countries and their laws. Good luck with that.

    Edit: And if it is worldwide, you know how abysmal those odds would be? Far worse than the original Halloween skin giveaways (back before the destruction of LA). To want that is almost as bad as having them removed because of a 'if you can't have them, no one will' mentality.

  • wulfheart.8206wulfheart.8206 Member ✭✭

    @Zeivu.3615 said:

    @wulfheart.8206 said:
    It's obvious that people just want a chance to get the Dragon Emblem outfit and don't really care much for the other prizes, even the cash prizes, so I'm wondering why ANet won't just have an event where EVERYONE can have the opportunity to earn the outfit regardless of what region they're from.

    International Laws. That's why. To make it available to everyone they would literally have to design a contest that abides all known (and unknown) countries and their laws. Good luck with that.

    Edit: And if it is worldwide, you know how abysmal those odds would be? Far worse than the original Halloween skin giveaways (back before the destruction of LA). To want that is almost as bad as having them removed because of a 'if you can't have them, no one will' mentality.

    Then why not give everyone the opportunity to just earn the outfit in another way which doesn't have to be a contest with odds? Something where just simply joining will net the outfit. This is the second time people have been upset about the outfit being only available to players in the US.

  • ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

    With what's currently happening in ANet regarding staff layoff and munny problems? I really don't think they'd do any sort of events outside of their already established seasonal events to give out free outfits.

    And I think this promo was terribly done to begin with. It shouldn't have been a case of a promo code being given out, it should have been the same as the glowing eyes promo for their news letter where the outfit gets delivered to the character's mail and remains account bound. But of course, that would mean they'd have to share data to Alienware/Dell meaning that to confirm the outfit and have it delivered to you without promo code, you'd need to have your GW2 account linked in some way, shape of form when you register to Alienware.

  • Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:

    @Trise.2865 said:

    @Jaquelidor.2618 said:
    I literally just got the email blast. When I went to the link the outfit codes were already gone. Just how few codes did they have?

    Anyway, closed the window and didn't bother to register.

    Oh well.

    So you didn't participate in the promotion, didn't get the reward, decided to continue not participating, and now you're mad at them?

    Oh well.

    I would have been quite willing to participate but the one item I was interested in, the one item it seems most of the players in these threads was interested in, was of such a limited quantity it was gone before the blast even reached some players. To me that seems very poor planning on ANet, Dell, and Alienware's part. I would think they would want as many people participating as possible in their campaign rather than create a situation that would turn players away and create ill will.

    Also, I'm not "mad at them". I think the word "disappointed" would be more apt. Perhaps with a touch of "bewildered" at their executing such a poorly thought out promotion.

    You can have one of mine then. I got three of them when people started crying about how unavailable it was just to prove that it wasn't.

    If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

  • ANet has two choices when it comes to giveaways:

    • They offer them to a subset of players.
    • They offer no promotions at all.

    There is no option C of "offer all promotions everywhere" because no company can afford to do that. Rules for sweepstakes and such vary with each country and it's a nightmare trying to keep track.

    For instance, here's why Quebec gets excluded:
    https://www.thebalanceeveryday.com/why-are-so-many-competitions-void-in-quebec-896835
    It's a great example of how the government has protected their citizens so well that hardly any international giveaways include that slice of Canada.

    It should be obvious that because ANet is located in the US, it's far, far easier for them to comply with US regulations than any of the others.


    Similarly, ANet has given away codes for this same T-Shirt in the past, but only at conventions or "meet & greets." And those are even more restrictive, because they take place so rarely in so few cities that the vast majority of players never had any opportunity to get them. I've never seen complaints about that.


    For what it's worth, I've yet to participate in any of these contests, despite being eligible. I'd be pleased if they offered a Euro-centric or Aussie-centric contest, with different prizes (or the same ones).

    My feeling is: if it brings in new players or generates new revenue, then great. That means ANet can afford more of whatever they are doing. And that's good for all of us.

    "Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.