Berserker Warrior: Why the Direction was good but poorly made from a PvE perspective.

mordefelix.5826

The idea of making Berserker having tradeoffs to use Berserk is a great step thematically speaking but it fails it multiple areas from a PvE perspective. Here's why...

1. It's not at all a DPS heavy long duration burst mode for warrior at its current state. Full DPS power zerkers don't have comparable burst to other classes at the moment. That means for lots of raid bosses and in fractals there are plenty of better options.
  2. Its current rotation for the Condi BS variant is extremely clunky now and the removal of F1 abilities such as combustive shot really makes me wonder if they put these changes into testing or practice to see how badly the rotation flows now. It feels like condi warriors were just ignored.
  3. The current damage in berserker mode doesn't seem to really signify any sort of meaningful trade off. If anything Berserker damage is not as comparable to other classes and are without any useful/meaningful CC. This is the case for Power Berserkers or Condi BS/DPS variants.
  4. The removal of always angry's previous abilities just made the class an overall nerf as opposed to giving us that "Beserker" concept that Arenanet seemed to be going for. DPS condi variants aren't even doing more than damage than Condi BS pre-patch.
  5. Was also removing adrenaline gain on rage abilities necessary? Why dumb down the rotation more when it wasn't that difficult to begin with?
  6. Additional note: I've always thought Condi BS specifically needed a nerf and 4k damage is acceptable especially with the stats they provide, the issue is that Anet has completely ignored their practical rotation when it was doing wonderfully before in that aspect. Removing certainly abilities is baffling and I'm not sure why that direction was taken. Anet can still keep the thematic part of warriors while allowing them to keep baseline F1 abilities. Allow us to do something on our downtime and if we're doing too much damage it's as easy as adjusting numbers.
  7. Additional Additional Note: I have no idea where Anet is going with this class. I respect all arguments about banners not being needed and making us full dps, it's just that full dps options are mediocre at best. Warriors just have no place right now without banners. That option to DPS that Anet tried to give warriors is nonexistent still and because of that +including the issues listed above, this was a poorly executed patch.

P.S (Why is there a banner bug now too?)

The balance between condi and power looks to have shifted. It used to be that power and condi was optimal each for half of the bosses, but now I fear condi bs has lost and will be deprecated as a build.

The way they are going with warrior, it would be better if they changed berserker so it could not bring banners. That way it could be balanced as a dps class with the theme of short burst of very high dps. The current build for that is dragon hunter.

Imo:Increase adrenaline cap to 50 for the Berserker espec (5 bars)Rage skills once again generate adrenaline instead of increasing the duration of BerserkBerkserk cost 10 adrenaline to activate, and consumes 10 additional adrenaline every 4 seconds thereafter (this can proc traits)Primal Bursts still cost adrenaline, and you still do not have access to regular bursts.+some number tweaks (above values are obviously just examples)

I feel this would make your time spent outside of Berserk feel worthwhile. You now have this large pool of adrenaline to try to build up, and the more you are able to fill during your berserk mode downtime, the longer you'll be able to maintain Berserk/the more primal burst you'll be able to spam during that window. I think the big weakness of the current system isn't that you're weaker outside of berserk mode (that's kind of the point), it's that you don't feel you have anything worthwhile to do during that time. The other big weakness I see is that you can easily end up sitting on full adrenaline with nothing to spend it on, which never feels good.With the above system you won't feel so put-out for not having normal burst skills to spend adrenaline on because this is now your "saving" or "build up" period.

Could rename "adrenaline" to "rage" in this spec for flavour.

(the spec's damage is a separate issue, adjustable through number tweaks, and is as such not under consideration here)

edit: if being able to stay in Berserk indefinitely becomes a concern, the adrenaline cost could be incurred more frequently the longer you are in berserk. For example, 10 adren every 5 secs for the first 10 secs, then every 4 seconds for the next 12 secs, then every 3 second for the next 12 second, etc). The cost being 10 adrenaline is important for triggering traits such as adrenal health, thus the reason for changing the frequency instead.

edit2: I'm realizing this could make the spec even more susceptible to kiting though, as you'll run out of berserk that much faster if you're not attacking to continue generating adrenaline. Fits the theme though, and Berserk's cool down could be adjusted to compensate.

@"Arewn.2368" said:Imo:Increase adrenaline cap to 50 for the Berserker espec (5 bars)Rage skills once again generate adrenaline instead of increasing the duration of BerserkBerkserk cost 10 adrenaline to activate, and consumes 10 additional adrenaline every 4 seconds thereafter (this can proc traits)Primal Bursts still cost adrenaline, and you still do not have access to regular bursts.+some number tweaks (above values are obviously just examples)

I feel this would make your time spent outside of Berserk feel worthwhile. You now have this large pool of adrenaline to try to build up, and the more you are able to fill during your berserk mode downtime, the longer you'll be able to maintain Berserk/the more primal burst you'll be able to spam during that window. I think the big weakness of the current system isn't that you're weaker outside of berserk mode (that's kind of the point), it's that you don't feel you have anything worthwhile to do during that time. The other big weakness I see is that you can easily end up sitting on full adrenaline with nothing to spend it on, which never feels good.With the above system you won't feel so put-out for not having normal burst skills to spend adrenaline on because this is now your "saving" or "build up" period.

(the spec's damage is a separate issue, adjustable through number tweaks, and is as such not under consideration here)

edit: if being able to stay in Berserk indefinitely becomes a concern, the adrenaline cost could be incurred more frequently the longer you are in berserk. For example, 10 adren every 5 secs for the first 10 secs, then every 4 seconds for the next 12 secs, then every 3 second for the next 12 second, etc). The cost being 10 adrenaline is important for triggering traits such as adrenal health, thus the reason for changing the frequency instead.

edit2: I'm realizing this could make the spec even more susceptible to kiting though, as you'll run out of berserk that much faster if you're not attacking to continue generating adrenaline. Fits the theme though, and Berserk's cool down could be adjusted to compensate.

Adjust Berserker to generate adrenaline based on damage taken out of range (no single hit ranged burst to cheese). The rage machine only respects those who enter close combat and risk it all, but if you take cheap shots from a distance it just makes him angrier and keeps his traits running.

Solves the kiting problem.

@Kiroshima.8497 said:

@"Arewn.2368" said:Imo:Increase adrenaline cap to 50 for the Berserker espec (5 bars)Rage skills once again generate adrenaline instead of increasing the duration of BerserkBerkserk cost 10 adrenaline to activate, and consumes 10 additional adrenaline every 4 seconds thereafter (
this can proc traits
)Primal Bursts still cost adrenaline, and you still do not have access to regular bursts.+some number tweaks (above values are obviously just examples)

Adjust Berserker to generate adrenaline based on damage taken out of range (no single hit ranged burst to cheese). The rage machine only respects those who enter close combat and risk it all, but if you take cheap shots from a distance it just makes him angrier and keeps his traits running.

Solves the kiting problem.

This sounds more like a Berserker to me!Core is your soldier of the line.Spellbreaker is your tactical fighter with counter strikes and boonstripping etc.And Berserker is your Hulk!

Make Rage (alt mechanic of andrenaline) work like a reverse retaliation, every tick of damage gives adrenaline. In other words, burst them down before they "get angry" as if you just keep poking at then, the pain train is coming! Keep the rage skills extending, but remove the stun from headbutt and make it cause some self damage; have you seen a brawler headbutt someone!

After a small mechanic change, work on numbers of the burst skills and done, we have a true rage fuelled destruction machine.

After that, fix swords so they are a decent condi weapon ;)