How is Firebrand?

Archivist.8109

Try condi guardian, if you like, then you'll like Firebrand.

In gameplay wise, the Axe is ok ish, matras are really bad and the class mechanic (tomes) is ok. I have a lot of fun playing Firebrand, since I already liked condi Guard before. But they still need to make mantras more usable.

If you have plan to use a power build, you should go Dragon Hunter instead. Healer's Retributuion that would make Firebrand somewhat interesting as Power build got a 20 second cooldown and is still bugged (doesn't work on Mantra of Solace Charges). Even if they fix the bug the trait won't be interesting to use as power because of the high cooldown.

The one that is used for fractals and raids looks something like this:

Full Griever's Stats. x6 Superior rune of Balthazar. Sigil of Smoldering + Sigil of Bursting. Axe + Torch weapons.

Zeal: Fiery Wrath, Kindred Zeal, Symbolic Avenger.
Radiance: Right-hand Strength, Radiant Fire, Amplified WrathFirebrand: Unrelenting Criticism, Legendary Lore, Quickfire

Utilities: Mantra of Solace, Mantra of Flame, Mantra of Potence, Signet of Wrath, Renewed Focus.

Griever's stats are a bit hard to get a hold of, so you can use either Sinister or Viper until people figure out how to do it. The build works by spamming Ashes of the Just as much as possible. When solo this skill is alright, but in a group it gives out the highest reliable DPS in the game. The general rotation looks like this:

Start in Tome of Justice. Use Justice 5, 4, 2, 1, 1 in that order. Then on axe use torch 4 to throw the fireball whenever it is up, using axe 2 and axe 3 when off cooldown. Every time Justice is renewed, repeat the same rotation. For a longer fight, after using all of the axe skills, use Renewed Focus to get Justice back, and repeat all over again. For the mantras, what you'll want to do is prep all 3 of the ones listed. Then, when in combat, use each mantra once, then wait for their ammo to climb back up to 3. The mantras proc Ashes of the Just and the Balthazar rune's AoE burn. Though it is temping, never blow the full mantras unless you really need to.

That is the DPS rotation. You are free to go into the tomes of resolve and courage for heals or defense as needed. If you need one of the guardian's other utilities, you can swap out the Signet of Wrath for anything else.

Firebrand is fun. That's the most important part to me. I don't raid and I haven't tried fractals with it yet, but it is a joy to play in open world. Besides using Shelter for my heal, I'm running mantras in the rest of the slots. They're like reduced range shouts that you can pop off repeatedly. Popping some quickness and might while using the axe feels mighty satisfying. As does popping out Tome of Justice and just watching all of the numbers popping above everything on screen's heads.

The other tomes are a lot more situational. They won't make you a dedicated support guy, but I still like to feel like I make a difference popping into them to drop boatloads of protection, aegis, and heals on people during a legendary bounty. The healing numbers aren't anything to write home about without healing power gear, but it is funny to see people still ticking regen on them 40 seconds later.

I'm not a prideful person, and I consider myself an honest one, so I'll just say it: I have NO idea what a lot of this means, lmao. I'm sure it'll make more sense as I level more, but as of now, a lot of terminology is gibberish to me. I really do appreciate the replies though!

@Archivist.8109 said:I'm not a prideful person, and I consider myself an honest one, so I'll just say it: I have NO idea what a lot of this means, lmao. I'm sure it'll make more sense as I level more, but as of now, a lot of terminology is gibberish to me. I really do appreciate the replies though!

Do you mean stat combinations? In caps are main stats:

Grieving = POWER/CONDITION/precision/ferocityCarrion = CONDITION/power/vitalitySinister = CONDITION/power/precisionViper = POWER/CONDITION/precision/expertise

For example, this is the build I run in open world:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAnfbn0ABtChNDBGBDEEhF/BzKAUBqT7X0O6INLJUhyQA-jRiAQBwY/hPp+jNVCCSleJ4IAII9BA4EAAtHAw1UGAA-e

I don't use food on open world, only on Fractals and WvW. But you could use a cheap one.

Even though this isn't exactly on topic, I have to ask about the gear part to this.I saw someone mention that they don't do raids, or fractals.So do people get the gear by crafting it?If so where can I see like a list of where these patterns are and how to obtain them?I am currently leveling armorsmith (225).I do not have the gold to just buy it all,specially if I want Griffon mount.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:The one that is used for fractals and raids looks something like this:

Full Griever's Stats. x6 Superior rune of Balthazar. Sigil of Smoldering + Sigil of Bursting. Axe + Torch weapons.

Zeal: Fiery Wrath, Kindred Zeal, Symbolic Avenger.

Radiance: Right-hand Strength, Radiant Fire, Amplified WrathFirebrand: Unrelenting Criticism, Legendary Lore, Quickfire

Utilities: Mantra of Solace, Mantra of Flame, Mantra of Potence, Signet of Wrath, Renewed Focus.

Griever's stats are a bit hard to get a hold of, so you can use either Sinister or Viper until people figure out how to do it. The build works by spamming Ashes of the Just as much as possible. When solo this skill is alright, but in a group it gives out the highest reliable DPS in the game. The general rotation looks like this:

Start in Tome of Justice. Use Justice 5, 4, 2, 1, 1 in that order. Then on axe use torch 4 to throw the fireball whenever it is up, using axe 2 and axe 3 when off cooldown. Every time Justice is renewed, repeat the same rotation. For a longer fight, after using all of the axe skills, use Renewed Focus to get Justice back, and repeat all over again. For the mantras, what you'll want to do is prep all 3 of the ones listed. Then, when in combat, use each mantra once, then wait for their ammo to climb back up to 3. The mantras proc Ashes of the Just and the Balthazar rune's AoE burn. Though it is temping, never blow the full mantras unless you really need to.

That is the DPS rotation. You are free to go into the tomes of resolve and courage for heals or defense as needed. If you need one of the guardian's other utilities, you can swap out the Signet of Wrath for anything else.

What do you mean, figure out how to get griever's? Are there exotic and ascended insignia in the game? If so, please tell us where. I know about the exotic weapon vendor but nothing else.

@Zoria.1392 said:What do you mean, figure out how to get griever's? Are there exotic and ascended insignia in the game? If so, please tell us where. I know about the exotic weapon vendor but nothing else.

Nobody has found them. So either they're not yet in the game or they're really well hidden. If you have some stat-selectable ascended gear, you can choose Grievers for one of the options, and I imagine if you have legendary armor you can change it to Grievers. But otherwise, there's no way to get it.

@Exiled.5781 said:Even though this isn't exactly on topic, I have to ask about the gear part to this.I saw someone mention that they don't do raids, or fractals.So do people get the gear by crafting it?If so where can I see like a list of where these patterns are and how to obtain them?I am currently leveling armorsmith (225).I do not have the gold to just buy it all,specially if I want Griffon mount.

Your armorsmith vendor sells ascended recipes and insignias. Gotta be level 500 to start crafting it tho.

ONT: I like the firebrand concept alot. Too bad with the current design it feels very slow/clunky. Therefore imma shelf my guardian until some changes has been made to the spec. Such as no cast time on tome activation.

Archived