Feature request: Team chat above character

Dreggon.6598

Sometimes I need to talk to my team, calling them over to where I am (maybe to stomp someone), but I don't want to use /say chat because enemies can read it. My team is focused on a fight, so they won't be looking at the chat box. If /team chat also showed up above my character like /say chat does (but isn't visible to the enemy team) I would be able to do this.

If it’s just a chat bubble it would add to the visual clutter; one more thing to track on-screen.

For example, damage numbers can actually hide a quickness Prime Light Beam animation at range causing you to be unable to dodge it in time. With these bubbles you might actually hide the approach of a class capable of teleports - that split second of seeing them at around 1200 range can decide if you have your finger on a defensive to save yourself or not. Or any of a bunch of things like signet casts, being distracted by an appearing chat bubble, big damage casts etc.

I would say letting us have a free chat window we can put anywhere for team chat would be great, and to have an option for absolutely minimalist UI so it doesn’t add to visual clutter, but rather grant the player a controlled option.

@Ralkuth.1456 said:If it’s just a chat bubble it would add to the visual clutter; one more thing to track on-screen.

For example, damage numbers can actually hide a quickness Prime Light Beam animation at range causing you to be unable to dodge it in time. With these bubbles you might actually hide the approach of a class capable of teleports - that split second of seeing them at around 1200 range can decide if you have your finger on a defensive to save yourself or not. Or any of a bunch of things like signet casts, being distracted by an appearing chat bubble, big damage casts etc.

I would say letting us have a free chat window we can put anywhere for team chat would be great, and to have an option for absolutely minimalist UI so it doesn’t add to visual clutter, but rather grant the player a controlled option.

New strat: keep spamming @'s in say chat to cover up your team's animations

I like the idea. Default each teammate had the bubble when talking and it shows where it's coming from maybe like a translucent bubble seen thru the map. Then have a right click on the name option to disable their bubble if abused.

I'm for this so I can quickly see where the message is coming from.

@SaltyDogs.9073 said:Then giving players the option to toggle them on or off would be the better option.

There is. There are options in the chat box to change these things. I keep them off for example because people only try to taunt you and it's easier to ignore if I don't see it. I also hide chat completely once the game starts and rely on map commands and targeting to communicate.