What if Mirage Cloak had a short blink instead of superspeed?

Creaitov.6328

There was a reason for Mirage Cloak having 1s of iframes compared to the regular dodge, and that is because unless you're dodging forward it actually hurts your mobility and is overall a worse dodge than the normal one.

The way superspeed works makes evading defensively pretty clunky, forcing you to turn around while dodging to create some distance or avoid AoEs, and some nerfs like axe ambush not working if you're facing away from your target (despite it being an attack that seeks your opponent) accentuate this problem.

If we replace the superspeed with a short instant blink*, similar to the jackal mount skill for example, the dodge distance gets normalized across all directions and in my opinion it would make mirage cloak feel a lot better without losing its trademark ability of allowing you to cover other skills or using ambushes.

*As I was typing this I almost forgot, another benefit of mirage cloak is that it allows you to dodge without moving. I imagine doing a "neutral" dodge roll would just either skip the blink or do a "fake" blink leaving you in the same place as before.

You keep forgetting that there are additional perks to the Mirage Cloak: Ambush Attacks and doding in space. In WvW for example you can easily walk out of a gate, spam your mirage Cloak and execute ambush attacks - or other attacks, while the cloak protects you - and make it back in again without being harmed at all. Generally being able to keep attacking while dodging is quite a perk. No need to alter your position either.I sure would not mind at all, if the superspeed would allow the same travel distance in all directions, making the Mirage Cloak even more versatile, but as it is, it's not really a broken thing IMO.

@"everyman.4375" said:Ambush attacks are not realy an advantage of mirage cloak. Since most of your damage lies in ambush attacks, you have to use endurence to actually deal any kind of meaningful damage.

Ambush attacks suck. Axe and Scepter ambushes will struggle to do 3k even with 3 clones on realistic builds. Warrior's dodge minor trait hits fucking harder. The only good ambushes damage wise is staff.

Mirage cloak is strong to cover skills, for example is a good tactic to always cover your healing skill with a dodge so you can't get interrupted.But yeah for example you cannot dodge backwards because you move so slowly and you cover almost no distance.And another thing is, in every single profession, the dodge is used defensively, in many cases mirage cloak is used aggressively for ambushes, so it's like investing dodges not to evade, but to attack.I find the state right now pretty balanced.If you propose or buff something about it people will immediately restart whining everywhere and it will get gutted to the ground as always.

I agree that making it so superspeed works in all directions would be better, but it would have to be a mirage exclusive effect because we're not the only class that has access to it.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@"everyman.4375" said:Ambush attacks are not realy an advantage of mirage cloak. Since most of your damage lies in ambush attacks, you have to use endurence to actually deal any kind of meaningful damage.

Ambush attacks suck. Axe and Scepter ambushes will struggle to do 3k even with 3 clones on realistic builds. Warrior's
hits kitten harder. The only good ambushes damage wise is staff.

And lets not forget that scepter ambush has a 1.5s channeled cast time while mirage cloak itself lasts .75s lol

@Creaitov.6328 said:I agree that making it so superspeed works in all directions would be better, but it would have to be a mirage exclusive effect because we're not the only class that has access to it.

Ambush attacks suck. Axe and Scepter ambushes will struggle to do 3k even with 3 clones on realistic builds. Warrior's

And lets not forget that scepter ambush has a 1.5s channeled cast time while mirage cloak itself lasts .75s lol

Staff is longer than Mirage cloak as well.

Also there is an inherent delay before you can ambush so the only ambush that is actually 100% cover able by Mirage Cloak is Axe.

IF this was implemented as follows:

• press dodge button only = gain mirage cloak without moving
  • use directional key with dodge button = gain mirage cloak and blink in direction

Then yes it could be interesting.

Alternatively this maybe could be a new grandmaster major trait if IH was moved to minor.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

@Creaitov.6328 said:I agree that making it so superspeed works in all directions would be better, but it would have to be a mirage exclusive effect because we're not the only class that has access to it.

Also there is an inherent delay before you can ambush so the only ambush that is actually 100% cover able by Mirage Cloak is Axe.

One of the things that bothered me about the Mirage Cloak nerf is how short-sighted it was. You have this entire set of skills that rely on it to work yet they nerfed MC without even thinking about the consequences it would have on the rest of the class. I wish some of the longer ambushes were sped up a little bit to compensate but we got nothing =/ but oh well that is another topic.

@"Curunen.8729" said:IF this was implemented as follows:

• use directional key with dodge button = gain mirage cloak and blink in direction

Alternatively this maybe could be a new grandmaster major trait if IH was moved to minor.

I like the trait idea. Maybe just replace the garbage Elusive Mind with this effect + some other small bonus like increased distance (like daredevil's "Unhindered Combatant" trait does).

@Creaitov.6328 said:

One of the things that bothered me about the Mirage Cloak nerf is how short-sighted it was. You have this entire set of skills that rely on it to work yet they nerfed MC without even thinking about the consequences it would have on the rest of the class. I wish some of the longer ambushes were sped up a little bit to compensate but we got nothing =/ but oh well that is another topic.

@"Curunen.8729" said:IF this was implemented as follows:

I like the trait idea. Maybe just replace the garbage Elusive Mind with this effect + some other small bonus like increased distance (like daredevil's "Unhindered Combatant" trait does).

I actually suggested this exact mechanic back during the demo weekend when we first got our hands on Mirage and it was complete garbage.

I do think I'd rather see super speed velocity in all directions more now.

@nthmetal.9652 said:You keep forgetting that there are additional perks to the Mirage Cloak: Ambush Attacks and doding in space. In WvW for example you can easily walk out of a gate, spam your mirage Cloak and execute ambush attacks - or other attacks, while the cloak protects you - and make it back in again without being harmed at all. Generally being able to keep attacking while dodging is quite a perk. No need to alter your position either.I sure would not mind at all, if the superspeed would allow the same travel distance in all directions, making the Mirage Cloak even more versatile, but as it is, it's not really a broken thing IMO.

The perk part would be true, If mirage cloak still covered most of the ambushes. Right now, the mirage cloak duration vs the activation of ambush skills makes it basically a non-factor

I remember posting in the past, but if anyone played mass effect 3 multiplayer there was a character in that - the Turian Cabal - that had excellent sound and visual effects for a blink dodge (MEA also had some blink dodge characters like the infiltrator dodge but personally I think me3mp cabal was the best).

Go to 1:15 if the video doesn't start at it:

It had an additional benefit where you could dodge through walls, but I think for gw2 there's enough problems with no line of sight burst issues so that wouldn't be healthy here.

@"Curunen.8729" said:I remember posting in the past, but if anyone played mass effect 3 multiplayer there was a character in that - the Turian Cabal - that had excellent sound and visual effects for a blink dodge (MEA also had some blink dodge characters like the infiltrator dodge but personally I think me3mp cabal was the best).

Go to 1:15 if the video doesn't start at it:

It had an additional benefit where you could dodge through walls, but I think for gw2 there's enough problems with no line of sight burst issues so that wouldn't be healthy here.

Although thematically that would be sweet

As cool as this sounds, I don't think it would fly alongside Jaunt, the Mirage target breaks, or other Mesmer teleports. That would be lot of un-telegraphed movement options on one class. I also don't think it would interact well with Infinite Horizons.. it's shame we don't get a full second of superspeed.