Which weapon would you like to see for third elite ? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Which weapon would you like to see for third elite ?

2>

Comments

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Twin Daggers

    All the sheep picking GS again... Oh well.
    If we go Cantha, I'd like to see an actual assassin spec with maybe Nika as the legend with twin daggers, using more thief-like utility skills.
    Shiro is more DPS warrior than assassin IMO.

  • Catchyfx.5768Catchyfx.5768 Member ✭✭✭
    Greatsword

    I want gs for pictures. Doesnt matter which e-spec we get. It will be sw/sw + staff til end of this game(power perspective)

    Jokaurene

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Greatsword

    Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

    Just please don't make the GS a condition weapon....

  • InsaneQR.7412InsaneQR.7412 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Greatsword

    I wonder what happens if the next elite does not have a greatsword?
    Probably 90% of rev players will riot.

  • Kulvar.1239Kulvar.1239 Member ✭✭
    Longbow

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

    Just please don't make the GS a condition weapon....

    There's already shortbox / axe+mace for condition damage.
    But there's already hammer / sword+sword for melee direct damage.
    So everything is possible, and Arena.net like to make original things for revenant weapons (melee staff, range hammer)

  • Scoobaniec.9561Scoobaniec.9561 Member ✭✭✭
    Rifle

    @Kulvar.1239 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Greatsword is my favorite weapon in the game, and given my Rev is a Charr...well...

    Just please don't make the GS a condition weapon....

    There's already shortbox / axe+mace for condition damage.
    But there's already hammer / sword+sword for melee direct damage.
    So everything is possible, and Arena.net like to make original things for revenant weapons (melee staff, range hammer)

    Shortbow is a meme weapon. Melee condi gs has to happen

  • ZeftheWicked.3076ZeftheWicked.3076 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Main-hand Axe

    mainhand axe. revs need ranged power dps weapon. Hammer is ranged control/defense weapon. While something with burst would work wonders. A similar tool to necro's axe.

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Greatsword

    @DarkEmiLupus.2876 said:
    In a perfect world we would have GS as a core weapon, then dw pistols for the elite spec. imagine dw pistols are mid to close range massive aoe dmg(closer=more dmg) while GS focused target close-mid burst dmg(same: closer=BIG dmg but at mid distance you can at least reach the enemy). Anyone wants to kill some demons, huh?

    Gunslinger :)

  • Longbow

    this time it'll be good we promise :^)

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kulvar.1239 said:

    @Arkantos.7460 said:
    NO NEXT EXPANSION - NO NEXT NEW WEAPON

    I remember A.net posting about releasing an elite spec outside of an expansion.

    I would like to see a link to this.

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Twin Pistols

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Kulvar.1239 said:

    @Arkantos.7460 said:
    NO NEXT EXPANSION - NO NEXT NEW WEAPON

    I remember A.net posting about releasing an elite spec outside of an expansion.

    I would like to see a link to this.

    Pretty sure all they said was that LWS5 "Will have some features that are the types of things normally reserved for expansions." And then wishful thinkers assumed this meant new elite specs... But it could honestly mean anything.

  • mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @mindcircus.1506 said:

    @Kulvar.1239 said:

    @Arkantos.7460 said:
    NO NEXT EXPANSION - NO NEXT NEW WEAPON

    I remember A.net posting about releasing an elite spec outside of an expansion.

    I would like to see a link to this.

    Pretty sure all they said was that LWS5 "Will have some features that are the types of things normally reserved for expansions." And then wishful thinkers assumed this meant new elite specs... But it could honestly mean anything.

    Yeah that's the problem around here.
    The last time that phrase got used was actually about LW4.4, wasn't it? When they were hyping up Sun's Refuge? And this community largely took it as some signal we were getting a "proper player housing system" with the Jahai update.
    Well was Sun's Refuge "expansion level content"? I thought so in that it was a proper in-world, lore driven representation of collections. It was fantastic. But it certainly wasn't the player housing system that many in this community made it out to be. And many people got salty.

    Just this week That_shaman datamined some reference to a new tutorial area for "something" and at least one of the forum's resident hype-hounds said "this means they are working on restoring season 1"
    Not one person figured the obvious... that its likely a small tutorial for the WvW event.

    So yes. I would very much like to see a direct developer quote that backs up this "elite specs out side of an expansion" claim that is being claimed as remembered.

  • phokus.8934phokus.8934 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I can see scepter being the next weapon as some sort of spellcaster support.

    Greatsword would be fine as long as it is unique and not just swing and do damage.

  • Greatsword

    Greatsword for next elite pls. I wanted more unique skill moves that involves more mist skills like their sword 3 animation. We should've gotten either scepter or/and daggers as an additional core skills.

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Greatsword

    Afte been playing shiro, shiro Is in need of another legend with power melee build GS or daggers would be nice.

  • Alek Seven.2374Alek Seven.2374 Member ✭✭✭
    Scepter

    Master Togo as the Legend with Dragon Empire Rage as the Elite skill or Vizier Khilbron with Chimera of Intensity.

  • Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭
    Rifle

    Rifle because Tybalt

  • Yasai.3549Yasai.3549 Member ✭✭✭
    Twin Daggers

    More offhands to compete with offhand sword.

    Offhand dagger
    Offhand focus
    Offhand horn
    Offhand torch

    If I play a stupid build, I deserve to die.
    If I beat people on a stupid build, I deserve to get away with it.

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Frankly, I'm inclined to think it's the wrong question for revenant...

    Which legend should revenant get next?

    Balthazar is an option I'd definitely be up for from a mechanical perspective (it could be based on the Avatar of Balthazar from the defence of Lion's Arch story step) - story-wise, though, there are a couple of issues with this. There's the issue of potential spoilers, and generally speaking, ArenaNet seems to have shied away from deity-level legends (example: getting Mallyx instead of Abaddon).

    Other possibilities could draw from the legends of other cultures.

    Currently, we have at least one human-associated legend, a charr-associated legend, and arguably a sylvari-associated legend in Ventari. We do not have a norn-associated or asura-associated legend. Asgeir Dragonrender would make a good candidate for the former - possibly with the greatsword people are asking for (although, tbh, I don't really subscribe to the "every profession must have a greatsword" meme). An asura legend would probably be related to magic and/or building things.

    If we go into Cantha in the next expansion, a Canthan-related legend might be appropriate. Urgoz (longbow) and Kanaxai (mainhand axe) are both solid possibilities there. Togo (scepter or scepter+focus) might be another possibility, since we don't strictly have a ritualist profession (I'm inclined to think that any candidate that would simply be a typical, if exceptionally skilled, practitioner of an existing GW2 profession is unlikely), but Togo's spirit skills might overlap too much with Kalla.

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Twin Pistols

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    If we go into Cantha in the next expansion, a Canthan-related legend might be appropriate. Urgoz (longbow) and Kanaxai (mainhand axe) are both solid possibilities there. Togo (scepter or scepter+focus) might be another possibility, since we don't strictly have a ritualist profession (I'm inclined to think that any candidate that would simply be a typical, if exceptionally skilled, practitioner of an existing GW2 profession is unlikely), but Togo's spirit skills might overlap too much with Kalla.

    I think the GW team is done with Cantha due to all of the drama it caused them in the overseas market (it's the reason DR has a giant sinkhole instead of the Canthian District that originally there.) So I'd say it's unlikely to be a future expansion...

    But, if they were to give a Togo/Legendary Ritualist spec, there's nothing that says it has to be spirits... While most gw1 players have the nostalgia of how op SoS or ST builds were, I don't even think Togo used spirits--he was a straight resto-heal-spam ritualist when he was an NPC. They could make a pretty interesting Ritualist spec tho utilizing Weapon Spells... Or even all of the Urn skills. Or both. (Urns as upkeep based utilities and weapon spells as f-keys. Or even vice versa.)

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    If we go into Cantha in the next expansion, a Canthan-related legend might be appropriate. Urgoz (longbow) and Kanaxai (mainhand axe) are both solid possibilities there. Togo (scepter or scepter+focus) might be another possibility, since we don't strictly have a ritualist profession (I'm inclined to think that any candidate that would simply be a typical, if exceptionally skilled, practitioner of an existing GW2 profession is unlikely), but Togo's spirit skills might overlap too much with Kalla.

    I think the GW team is done with Cantha due to all of the drama it caused them in the overseas market (it's the reason DR has a giant sinkhole instead of the Canthian District that originally there.) So I'd say it's unlikely to be a future expansion...

    But, if they were to give a Togo/Legendary Ritualist spec, there's nothing that says it has to be spirits... While most gw1 players have the nostalgia of how op SoS or ST builds were, I don't even think Togo used spirits--he was a straight resto-heal-spam ritualist when he was an NPC. They could make a pretty interesting Ritualist spec tho utilizing Weapon Spells... Or even all of the Urn skills. Or both. (Urns as upkeep based utilities and weapon spells as f-keys. Or even vice versa.)

    Togo has spirits in the Mission Pack - in fact, the reworked Signet of Spirits was based off one of Togo's skills.

    That said, it is reasonable to say that there'd be a distinction between having one spirit-summoning utility skill and having a bar full of them.

    Regarding the drama thing... I recall that, and I suspect the sinkhole was largely a matter of "didn't have the time to fix it properly". The main issue was the mashup of different Asian elements, which is something that part of the world is sensitive about. Going into Cantha proper would give them the ability to either stick to a single theme, or to explicitly have different subcultures with different themes, which would probably be more acceptable to the people concerned.

    Alternatively, they might not care as much nowadays. I have the impression that GW2 failed in China, for instance.

  • Alik.9651Alik.9651 Member ✭✭

    To me, it would be nice to have dual Focus work like boxing gloves and a Legendary Monk Stance ... but well ... we don't have main hand focus ...

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Twin Pistols

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

    As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

    As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

    He uses a sword with both one hand and two in the Factions trailer.

    However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

  • KidRoleplay.3615KidRoleplay.3615 Member ✭✭✭
    Main-hand Axe

    Needs moar double axes.

  • LucianTheAngelic.7054LucianTheAngelic.7054 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Focus

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

    As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

    He uses a sword with both one hand and two in the Factions trailer.

    However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

    I think it’s worth noting Togo had already made a name for himself before he helped deal with Shiro in Factions. In terms of lore he was a celebrated hero who directly influenced the end of the Tengu Wars. And of course he’s also the respected headmaster of Shing Jea Island, which isn’t just some “nobody” role in terms of canthan culture. Most of our time playing with him is spent with him fighting Shiro, true, but his legend and lore is certainly not entirely based around Shiro and he’s definitely not important solely because of Shiro. While other figures mentioned above like Archemorous wouldn’t be nearly as important without Shiro, Togo absolutely would have been due to his entire life’s work prior to the short amount of time before he’s killed in Factions with the Shiro resurrection.

  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

    As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

    He uses a sword with both one hand and two in the Factions trailer.

    However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

    I think it’s worth noting Togo had already made a name for himself before he helped deal with Shiro in Factions. In terms of lore he was a celebrated hero who directly influenced the end of the Tengu Wars. And of course he’s also the respected headmaster of Shing Jea Island, which isn’t just some “nobody” role in terms of canthan culture. Most of our time playing with him is spent with him fighting Shiro, true, but his legend and lore is certainly not entirely based around Shiro and he’s definitely not important solely because of Shiro. While other figures mentioned above like Archemorous wouldn’t be nearly as important without Shiro, Togo absolutely would have been due to his entire life’s work prior to the short amount of time before he’s killed in Factions with the Shiro resurrection.

    He wasn't a nobody, but he just hasn't had the impact that the others have had. Jalis, Ventari, and Kalla transformed entire races. Mallyx essentially represents Nightfall and the war of the gods that preceded it (being the most powerful servant of Abaddon, noting that gods seem to be too powerful to be eligible), while Shiro represents the Jade Wind and the Affliction, and Glint the Flameseeker Prophecies and the effort to rebalance magic.

    Compared to this... Togo was a diplomat and the master of a school that he didn't found himself. He likely has other achievements, but they weren't major enough for us to hear about them. This isn't insignificant, but he's not on the level of the existing legends.

    (It's also worth noting that Viktor and Archemorus likely had some impressive achievements under their respective belts to be appointed as the Kurzick and Luxon champions. It's just that fighting Shiro became the climax (and end) of their careers and the part that gets remembered because Shiro's impact was that much greater.)

  • narcx.3570narcx.3570 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Twin Pistols

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

    As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

    He uses a sword with both one hand and two in the Factions trailer.

    However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

    I think it’s worth noting Togo had already made a name for himself before he helped deal with Shiro in Factions. In terms of lore he was a celebrated hero who directly influenced the end of the Tengu Wars. And of course he’s also the respected headmaster of Shing Jea Island, which isn’t just some “nobody” role in terms of canthan culture. Most of our time playing with him is spent with him fighting Shiro, true, but his legend and lore is certainly not entirely based around Shiro and he’s definitely not important solely because of Shiro. While other figures mentioned above like Archemorous wouldn’t be nearly as important without Shiro, Togo absolutely would have been due to his entire life’s work prior to the short amount of time before he’s killed in Factions with the Shiro resurrection.

    He wasn't a nobody, but he just hasn't had the impact that the others have had. Jalis, Ventari, and Kalla transformed entire races. Mallyx essentially represents Nightfall and the war of the gods that preceded it (being the most powerful servant of Abaddon, noting that gods seem to be too powerful to be eligible), while Shiro represents the Jade Wind and the Affliction, and Glint the Flameseeker Prophecies and the effort to rebalance magic.

    Compared to this... Togo was a diplomat and the master of a school that he didn't found himself. He likely has other achievements, but they weren't major enough for us to hear about them. This isn't insignificant, but he's not on the level of the existing legends.

    (It's also worth noting that Viktor and Archemorus likely had some impressive achievements under their respective belts to be appointed as the Kurzick and Luxon champions. It's just that fighting Shiro became the climax (and end) of their careers and the part that gets remembered because Shiro's impact was that much greater.)

    If you're basing it on impact alone, I just want to point out that Mallyx did literally nothing. Sure, he was Abbadon's most powerful Lieutenant or whatever, but he never even left the the realm of torment... Before he could even do one thing, he got curb stomped into oblivion by 8 people who invaded the Domain of Anguish and spammed SoS all over him.

    There's a much better case to be made for Varesh if they really needed a NF-based, non-god badguy... She's the one who tore reality asunder to unleash Nightfall... Mallyx just sat in his room.

  • Greatsword

    My 2copper:

    Greatsword - Rurik Legend. Hybrid Power/melee condi (burning duh).

    OR

    Scepter - Snaff Legend. Make it ranged power dps with some support in it.

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Main-hand Axe

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    Frankly, I'm inclined to think it's the wrong question for revenant...

    Which legend should revenant get next?

    • I wouldn't be against a mursaat legend named Komalie. The e-spec could either develop the traits of the mursaats, the idea of sealing titans (since it was the purpose of the door of komalie) or both.
    • I'd also like a an e-spec using the hylek goddess Ameyalli as a legend. The e-spec could embodie the traits of the hileks (ex: poisonous) and the jungle (since Ameyalli is supposed to be the spirit of the jungle).
    • I'd love to see an e-spec with the owl as a legend. The e-spec granting the revenant the norn ability to transform into the owl and the traits of the owl as utility skills.
    • Asuras also ought to have a legend to channel. It could be linked to their belief in eternal alchemy with each "traitline" enforcing the idea of one of their college: statics (expertise/concentration), synergetics (combos) and dynamics (chaotic/random effects)
    • Kaits can also make for a great underwater e-spec concepts. The e-spec could borrow the name of Oratuss from the krait priests and have skills revolving around dark magic... It could even be closer to the gw necromancer than the gw2 necromancer is.
    • A skriit e-spec could be a fun idea featuring the legendary shinny collector. The e-spec's mechanism skill could a forage like skill and the legend utilities some trap like skills.
  • draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:

    @narcx.3570 said:

    @draxynnic.3719 said:
    A couple of other considerations with Togo that crossed my mind:

    First, I don't think Togo is really a credible choice unless we go to Cantha. He's a human of Canthan origin, and we already have a human of Canthan origin in the form of Shiro. There's not much reason to double that up without Cantha being a significant part of the story.

    Even then... I'm not sure Togo actually meets the requirement. Togo isn't the one who defined the legend he took part of - it was Shiro whose impact on Cantha echoed into the Mists, and Togo was essentially just part of the conclusion of Shiro's story. Without Shiro, Togo would have just been another illegitimate offshoot of the imperial line. Kaineng Tah could be an interesting alternative, however...

    As much as I hate the idea of rev's getting Greatsword... If it came to a Cantha legend, I would want something like a Viktor zu Heltzer legend, where they turn greatsword skills into a full on chain sword and just straight rip off a real Castlevania vibe with it. Even though he never expressly used a GS, I think it would make for some cool animations and fun gameplay. Like just a super control weapon.

    He uses a sword with both one hand and two in the Factions trailer.

    However, Viktor has the same problem Togo has - his claim to fame is that he took part in bringing down Shiro. Shiro is the focus of the legend - we primarily know about Togo, Viktor, Archemorus, and Vizu due to their interactions with Shiro. It's possible that without Shiro, they would have all made names for themselves independently - but it's Shiro who's the dominant figure in their stories, and it's Shiro's impact on the world that echoed into the Mists and created a source of revenant power.

    I think it’s worth noting Togo had already made a name for himself before he helped deal with Shiro in Factions. In terms of lore he was a celebrated hero who directly influenced the end of the Tengu Wars. And of course he’s also the respected headmaster of Shing Jea Island, which isn’t just some “nobody” role in terms of canthan culture. Most of our time playing with him is spent with him fighting Shiro, true, but his legend and lore is certainly not entirely based around Shiro and he’s definitely not important solely because of Shiro. While other figures mentioned above like Archemorous wouldn’t be nearly as important without Shiro, Togo absolutely would have been due to his entire life’s work prior to the short amount of time before he’s killed in Factions with the Shiro resurrection.

    He wasn't a nobody, but he just hasn't had the impact that the others have had. Jalis, Ventari, and Kalla transformed entire races. Mallyx essentially represents Nightfall and the war of the gods that preceded it (being the most powerful servant of Abaddon, noting that gods seem to be too powerful to be eligible), while Shiro represents the Jade Wind and the Affliction, and Glint the Flameseeker Prophecies and the effort to rebalance magic.

    Compared to this... Togo was a diplomat and the master of a school that he didn't found himself. He likely has other achievements, but they weren't major enough for us to hear about them. This isn't insignificant, but he's not on the level of the existing legends.

    (It's also worth noting that Viktor and Archemorus likely had some impressive achievements under their respective belts to be appointed as the Kurzick and Luxon champions. It's just that fighting Shiro became the climax (and end) of their careers and the part that gets remembered because Shiro's impact was that much greater.)

    If you're basing it on impact alone, I just want to point out that Mallyx did literally nothing. Sure, he was Abbadon's most powerful Lieutenant or whatever, but he never even left the the realm of torment... Before he could even do one thing, he got curb stomped into oblivion by 8 people who invaded the Domain of Anguish and spammed SoS all over him.

    There's a much better case to be made for Varesh if they really needed a NF-based, non-god badguy... She's the one who tore reality asunder to unleash Nightfall... Mallyx just sat in his room.

    I think there's more to Mallyx's story than just our ending of it. Game mechanics-wise, sure, he just sat in his room until we got to him, but he was presented as a serious threat in the Domain of Anguish, and it was pretty clear that allied forces were taking a beating before we intervened. And that's without considering what Mallyx might have done to help bring about Nightfall from the inside before we arrived, and even what he might have done before being sealed in the Realm of Torment in the first place (he's said to be a Margonite, so he was human once). There's also the element of him being the most powerful of the demons, and therefore, more representative of Nightfall and the Realm of Torment on the whole than Varesh, who was human apart from the last few minutes of her existence.

    I don't think you rise to become Abaddon's second-in-charge without doing some seriously impressive stuff along the way, even if we haven't heard of it.

    In Varesh's case... I definitely see your argument, but I think the distinction is that Varesh only came in over the last few years of something which had been brewing for centuries. From the perspective of Tyrians, Varesh might be the more significant, but from the perspective of the Mists, Mallyx had been a driving force behind the efforts to pull Tyria into the Realm of Torment right from the beginning, and Varesh was just the final puppet of that. Granted, Abaddon is more important, but if my hypothesis that gods and elder dragons aren't valid candidates is correct, Mallyx comes up right behind Abaddon.

  • Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2019

    Being forced to use mace/axe for condi builds is a little obnoxious. Revs need a hybrid or condi-focused melee weapon option. I'd be mostly fine with either Greatsword or MH Axe. We arguably should just get MH Axe as core, with Greatsword being the next elite.

    I actually wish they would stop making weapon choices so focused on power or condi and try to hybridize them more with the power vs condi focus coming more from traits and gear. This would lead to a lot more flexibility.

  • Focus

    Duel-wielding foci so I can have a punchie elite spec. Though I would not mind having a greatsword or twin daggers either, but it all depends on the legend for me.

    For the foci: Killroy Stonekin, chances are this would never happen
    Greatsword: asgeir dragonrender
    Twin daggers: Svanir, because I believe that we need more antagonist legends in the revenants arsenal

    Do not rush,
    But move with a purpose.
    Dual- focus Martial arts elite spec please, Anet

  • DonArkanio.6419DonArkanio.6419 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Warhorn

    @Einlanzer.1627 said:
    Being forced to use mace/axe for condi builds is a little obnoxious. Revs need a hybrid or condi-focused melee weapon option. I'd be mostly fine with either Greatsword or MH Axe. We arguably should just get MH Axe as core, with Greatsword being the next elite.

    I actually wish they would stop making weapon choices so focused on power or condi and try to hybridize them more with the power vs condi focus coming more from traits and gear. This would lead to a lot more flexibility.

    We could go full hybrid if Revenant had Trident Treatment across all weapons. No need to design a specific weapon for it. I think Trident Treatment would give a lot more than a single weapon added to Core.

  • Scoobaniec.9561Scoobaniec.9561 Member ✭✭✭
    Rifle

    @DonArkanio.6419 said:

    @Einlanzer.1627 said:
    Being forced to use mace/axe for condi builds is a little obnoxious. Revs need a hybrid or condi-focused melee weapon option. I'd be mostly fine with either Greatsword or MH Axe. We arguably should just get MH Axe as core, with Greatsword being the next elite.

    I actually wish they would stop making weapon choices so focused on power or condi and try to hybridize them more with the power vs condi focus coming more from traits and gear. This would lead to a lot more flexibility.

    We could go full hybrid if Revenant had Trident Treatment across all weapons. No need to design a specific weapon for it. I think Trident Treatment would give a lot more than a single weapon added to Core.

    And have 0 condi dmg when in any other stance than Mallyx. No i dont think thats good idea.

  • Greatsword

    Greatsword, and make it a semi-ranged weapon like hammer was. I love how they broke the de facto hammer == melee weapon mold, would like to see something similar for GS.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.