Upcoming Bonus Events — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Upcoming Bonus Events

edited April 29, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Hey all,

While the team is working toward the release of Episode 6 and the future of Guild Wars 2 development, a few of us are building out a stable of bonus events. You’ve already seen the World vs. World weeklong bonus event with no down state, and the Queen’s Jubilee Boss Blitz weekend, but soon we’ll release other bonus events. The first iterations of two of the planned events are complete, and we have two more in active development. Our intention is to run these during times when there are no major releases, and reward players for participating.

The first of these events, World Boss Week, starts May 6 and will run until May 13. During this week, all world boss kills in core Tyria zones will reward a Bonus Box of Goods in addition to normal loot drops.

The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week. During this week, our intention is to remove the daily cap on all world meta event completion rewards and to reward additional loot for some of our Meta-Events to pair with some improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.

While I can’t talk too much about what we have planned beyond that, we aren’t restricting ourselves to “inside the box” design for future events. Some of them may make significant shakeups to their game modes during the time they run. Future iterations we’re thinking about are:

• No daily limit on world boss loot
  • Rare harvesting nodes spawn after world boss kill
  • Community goals and rewards
  • Collections and meta achievements with titles

This is where our community comes in! We want to make events that leverage existing content and resources, while being fun and rewarding for you to play. We welcome your ideas for additional events and would love to hear your feedback on the events you’ve heard about so far, including their rewards.

Tagged:
<1345678

Comments

• Frusen.3761Frusen.3761 Member ✭✭

Make the bugged dungeon recipes drop from World Bosses

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

@phs.6089 said:
    Shake is up, make raids bosses to spawn instead of world bosses randomly :) Don't drop LI, I don't wanna hear raiders riot.
    Just imagine usual zerg gets to daily Teq and surprise, it's Mat or someone esle.
    What is Bonus Box of Goods btw? 2 blues and a green?

Since it's been announced, this should be okay: Chat code for Bonus Box of Goods - [&AgE3YAEA]
    Among many mats, and a backpack, it has a rare (Super Rare category) chance of awarding Infusions.

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

I think one based on guilds and bonuses for doing guild missions would be cool. Maybe make all of the guild missions available each day and done multiple times a day during the event with an expansion of the weekly reward cap. Guilds are what bring the players together and should be celebrated. Plus it would be great for guilds looking to recruit.

• @Samnang.1879 said:
    Complete 10000 TD metas, get title; Chak God.
    Complete 10000 AB metas, get title; Octo God.

Complete every meta in HoT and PoF 10000 times, get God of PVE.

Complete 10000 DS metas - Dragon God.

• cNd.1096cNd.1096 Member ✭✭✭

Good to see that something is happening, I'm looking forward to this events and to more achievements and collections :)

• Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Incognito.3529 said:

@Samnang.1879 said:
    Complete 10000 TD metas, get title; Chak God.
    Complete 10000 AB metas, get title; Octo God.

Complete every meta in HoT and PoF 10000 times, get God of PVE.

Complete 10000 DS metas - Dragon God.

i need this title in my life--i was born in the year of the dragon =)

Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure someone could complete 10,000 events during a Bonus Event week. These are limited-time events.
    I don't think these are the same as Current Events?

• DiogoSilva.7089DiogoSilva.7089 Member ✭✭✭

Some of the content that has been historically attached to festivals could be available during bonus weeks, like SAB.

I'd wish some for:

• PvP Bonus (Maybe during off-season? To make up for the lack of rewards)
    • Dungeon Bonus (double token reward, perhaps)
    • Guild Mission Bonus (This would be a good opportunity to support guild communities again)
  • CETheLucid.3964CETheLucid.3964 Member ✭✭✭

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:
    The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week. During this week, our intention is to remove the daily cap on all world meta event completion rewards and to reward additional loot for some of our Meta-Events to pair with some improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.

improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.

I like the sound of that. I really want to see people run PoF meta-events.

While I can’t talk too much about what we have planned beyond that, we aren’t restricting ourselves to “inside the box” design for future events. Some of them may make significant shakeups to their game modes during the time they run. Future iterations we’re thinking about are:

• No daily limit on world boss loot
    • Rare harvesting nodes spawn after world boss kill

These are good too, especially the second one. Adds more value to the core tyria maps and maybe offers access to rarer gathering nodes (Lemongrass and other harder to comeby mats).

An event focused on Jumping Puzzles and Adventures wouldn't be very well received, I think. It would probably lead to a lot of frustration.

• Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭
    1. Class based side stories ( Example, rangers get the ability to upgrade their pet and make them cosmetically unique or turn into their highest form of evolution?)
    2. Tie up some loose ends with small stories kind of like the caledbolg side story or the bandits, with say perhaps the pale tree and us visiting her while she recovers?
    3. Maybe add elite specs between expansions in the living world? Sounds odd I know, but going forward it might be nice. We have another whole living world season before the next expansion (If you guys still are going with the expansion concept.) That's a long time to wait between new toys to play with (At least in that regard.)
    4. To go along with three, a new class which sounds like alot but if it came out base wise during the events it could get its elite specs caught up in the living story season and be ready for the next expansion and caught up.

Some of my thoughts, not sure honestly what else Id like to see.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dungeon rush event with similar loot drops to the world one would be nice.

Also, with the scaling some of the world bosses are still kind of trivial. Maybe have these events scale a little higher? Idk.

I definitely think a dungeon event would be nice though. Especially for the new players that may have never experienced them and may not get to because nobody runs them.

With that we could also get a fractal event. There are so many different game modes that I could see this applied to.

Maybe add in some guild decoration tokens to more of the core world bosses?

MAYBE even have a general commendation token system like the elegy mosaics, with a vendor that can you purchase items from like specific cosmetic items.. I.e. weapon and armor models, combat tonics, guild decorations, minis, maybe a special chair you or something.

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sublimatio.6981 said:
    Some bonuses related to fractals would be cool. Jumping puzzles being made rewarding, adventures being rewarding, activities. Basically you have tons of content in the game but it's all not worth playing.

Exactly, so many things that could be touched on, and while having the same rewards for doing each could lead to people grinding the fastest ones possible for the rewards, if they implement at least a few unique rewards for each one it could cause people to step out of that efficiency grind.

• Krypticklown.1647Krypticklown.1647 Member
    edited April 29, 2019

Something to spark players to run dungeons or even something to spark interest in revisiting old zones in central tyria. Like repeatable zone quests that are in zones like POF and hot* that give bonus karma or even double xp for mysteries? I would love to have a super rare ascended quality mini of some of the world bosses, I understand you couldn't do them all but mini version of Teq and others would be awesome.

Some out-of-the-box suggestions:

• Core-profession-only queue for PvP as a Bonus Week. Have it so wins offer an unique loot box.
    • Hunting Bonus Week, where you get additional rewards for finding and killing specific champions?
    • Collection Bonus Week, where some unique loot items (for collections, wardrobe, etc) have higher chance to drop.
    • Gathering Bonus (x% chance for additional strikes, x% chance for unique loot) + champions drop gathering nodes on death (with x% chance of being rare nodes).
  • How about an only HoT/Core WvW week ?

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

@MetalGirl.2370 said:
    Double fractal relics and pristine relics.

Oh fractals!!! They never had any events. If not much work, can we have a week when bad instabilities affect bosses instead of players and vise versa.
    Give players boons when hit,make them spit fire and once in while I would love to see that tentacle hitting boss, lol.

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week. During this week, our intention is to remove the daily cap on all world meta event completion rewards and to reward additional loot for some of our Meta-Events to pair with some improvements to the Path of Fire map meta events. More info will come closer to the event.

This is the part that I'm looking forward to.

I recently decided to add Junundu Rising and Maw of Torment to my daily rotation, and it has been a gigantic pain in the butt. The reason being that they don't have a set schedule. I arrive in The Desolation 15 minutes after the even hour, since this is when I finish with Auric Basin. And each time, Maw or Junundu will either be currently up, have yet to have started, or will not start for awhile. Why? No idea. This makes planning and organizing the events nigh impossible.

As a side effect, I can practically solo these now. Maw is impossible, but one of these days I'm going to take Junundu Rising all by myself.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

• WhatLiesBeneath.9018WhatLiesBeneath.9018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

• Collections and meta achievements with titles
    • You had me at Collections and Achievements <3

• If its possible, the return of the Marionette fight from Season 1 would be awesome to have as a event now and then, if its not too much work.

• And to add maybe a armor-set + weapon-set hidden behind a currency only obtainable during these events would be a really nice reward.

• Jumping Puzzle events is something I'd like too.

Golemancer Tixx - Far Shiverpeaks (EU). Achievement Hunter (+35k) ~750 on the AP Leaderboards.

• lokker.9107lokker.9107 Member
    edited April 29, 2019

Ok i'm happy for the events, but i'm mad at the fact that we're not getting ep6 anytime soon, for someone who has anxiety and has been anticipating the new episode since the teaser and the mount trailer came out, this is really torturing me.

• Ywhre.9734Ywhre.9734 Member
    edited April 29, 2019

I'd love to see some focus on Activities. They are actually fun but neglected.

• It would be awesome to see some updates to them (for example Crab Toss skill 3 - "Dash" is extremely clunky in use) but also to see Living World season 1 Activity-related achievements make a comeback (the World-Boss Week could see achievements and reward - Wings of the Sunless skin - from the season 1 Boss Week, Sanctum Sprinter title and so on).
    • Another great thing would adding and re-adding achievements and rewards for Festival Activites like Aspect Arena (which returned with Festival of the Four Winds 2018 but had no rewards whatsoever) or Reaper's Rumble.
    • One last thing is something I care about very much - Basket Brawl. It was implemented for player-testing in August 2016, was fun and pretty much ready for release, needed only small touchups and achievements/rewards. However, it was removed when testing phase ended and was never heard of again.
  • For PoF metas, I would love to see Desert Highlands treasure bonus event to be more streamlined, let's say, similar how you can loot SW chests...so you can actually take a party of people and run the map in circle (probably single circle in time limit, but still). And add Amalgamated gemstone as rare loot from those superior treasures (so gettable only in the bonus time window). Would make getting those treasures definitely interesting for many, those map kits would not be deemed trash anymore, and would fix the zero ability to get amalgamated gemstones by playing PoF only.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ywhre.9734 said:
    I'd love to see some focus on Activities. They are actually fun but neglected.

• It would be awesome to see some updates to them (for example Crab Toss skill 3 - "Dash" is extremely clunky in use) but also to see Living World season 1 Activity-related achievements make a comeback (the World-Boss Week could see achievements and reward - Wings of the Sunless skin - from the season 1 Boss Week, Sanctum Sprinter title and so on).
    • Another great thing would adding and re-adding achievements and rewards for Festival Activites like Aspect Arena (which returned with Festival of the Four Winds 2018 but had no rewards whatsoever) or Reaper's Rumble.
    • One last thing is something I care about very much - Basket Brawl. It was implemented for player-testing in August 2016, was fun and pretty much ready for release, needed only small touchups and achievements/rewards. However, it was removed when testing phase ended and was never heard of again.

Wasn't Baslet brawl generally regarded as unfit for release though? I admit a sketchy memory and so could be wrong but I thought it generally not well received

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Amazing! I would really love to see more bonus events like this. Maybe a bonus event for raids would be awesome too!

• HyperLooser.2698HyperLooser.2698 Member ✭✭✭

Make a event for dungeons being rewarding.

• Warscythes.9307Warscythes.9307 Member ✭✭✭

How likely would it be to have some sort of event similar to the branded vs human event in beta?

• Zaraki.5784Zaraki.5784 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    I think something like the Black Moa Chick quest (which was similar to the Caladbolg collection/quest, I guess) would be nice. And if it offered a Black Moa Chick as in Guild Wars, that would be great!

It's a nice idea but if I remember correctly, in GW1 it required all campaigns (+EotN) so I would save it until (and if) we get the next expansion to have a big quest invonving all 3 expansions!

"Sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never be able to injure you!"
    The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy

• I don't have any suggestions, but I do want to say that what you are doing is good for the game. Keep it up.

• Susy.7529Susy.7529 Member ✭✭✭

Sorry to say that but to me it looks just like a bait-and-switch, to shift players attention from the huge delay of Ep 6.

• Westenev.5289Westenev.5289 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

A Jumping Puzzle rush sounds like fun, but most core JP's can be cheated by using mounts or mesmers...

• jonG.8369jonG.8369 Member ✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

This is really welcome news! Thanks Irenio! It's great to hear that PoF maps are getting some extra love. My suggestion is to look at the Bitterfrost Meta and add a legendary boss of some sort after all of Jormag's champions have been defeated during the nighttime event. Another suggestion maybe add a new currency awarded for killing World Bosses that you can use to purchase a new weapon skin set. Challenge your team to try and come up with interesting ways to put a new spin on some of the older content that was perhaps rushed during development.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Bonus dungeon or fractal rewards

Guild Missions opened up for pugs. Or double Guild Mission rewards

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• insanelyapple.2870insanelyapple.2870 Member ✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

The idea is great and I'll sure participate to what I was used few years ago on daily basis.

Wile we're at this I'd like to ask: what are chance that in preparation of the World Boss Week some mobs of champion tier would be added into World Boss schedule and in some cases got proper events structure (pre-event, boss spawn, chain restart)? I'm thinking mostly about Dredge Commissar in Dredgehaunt Cliffs and Siegemaster Lormar in Plains of Ashford; the latter is the only starting zone without World Boss-type encounter. I believe that Lornar's Pass could use own World Boss as well since this map is quite large, events are scattered across long distances; perhaps something related to Marionette remains could revive a bit this place? There's also Fire Shaman aka Drakin Cinderspire in Iron Marches which at some point if I'm not mistaken was sharing spawning time with Fire Elemental in Metrica Prov.
    Edit: I just tossed this as a separated thread for better attention

Then there are the Orr maps and Temple encounters which since introduction of Megaservers system are bit neglected - sometimes events are blocked for days and in order to for example, fulfill collection objectives, community advises to visit map around Tuesday patch releases, since that's the time events scripts are being restarted. The uniqueness and sense of accomplishment of these encounters practically doesn't exist because it's hard to find map where events structure isn't broken; maybe a separated schedule for the Orr maps could solve this issue and revive maps beyond farming Cypress Saplings?

• Ever since the release of Path of Fire, Jumping puzzles have all but been put on the backburner IMO (heck, even prior to that, methinks)
    I'd love to see an event around those, as, to me, these little gems are what drew me to this game in the first place, some 7 years ago.

On-topic regarding the upcoming bonus-boss-loot:
    Is this an achievement collection where you can only get the bonus chest once per every boss, or will you always get the additional box, regardless of how many times you beat a particular boss?

• Lith.
  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

While the team is working toward the release of Episode 6 and the future of Guild Wars 2 development, a few of us are building out a stable of bonus events. You’ve already seen the World vs. World weeklong bonus event with no down state, and the Queen’s Jubilee Boss Blitz weekend, but soon we’ll release other bonus events. The first iterations of two of the planned events are complete, and we have two more in active development. Our intention is to run these during times when there are no major releases, and reward players for participating.

The first of these events, World Boss Week, starts May 6 and will run until May 13. During this week, all world boss kills in core Tyria zones will reward a Bonus Box of Goods in addition to normal loot drops.

The second event, Meta-Event Rush, will start a few weeks after the World Boss Week.

OK, so first of all, thank you for telling us this, secondly what kind of timeline are we talking about for Episode 6?

If the first of these events, "World boss week" will take us up to mid May, the second event will start "a few weeks after the World Boss Week" and then we'll have Episode 6 (which would probably be June)? Or will Episode 6 come a few more months down the line after the other two bonus events you have in active development are released?

Also, "Queen’s Jubilee Boss Blitz weekend"? I haven't logged in for a week, I heard about the WvW week but what did I miss there?

• I'm glad there's an effort to revive interest and incentive to do older content, particularly between releases. So thank you!

• Aaralyna.3104Aaralyna.3104 Member ✭✭✭

I do like achievements and collections but I rather see them for a longer period than just a bonus weekend (as it then becomes a chore to get them instantly while I rather take my time and do them when I feel like doing them).

Some idea's for weekend events:

• WvW events (like we saw with bonus progression and loot progression as during Warclaw introduction). I am not for ONLY core or the likes as this will leave people out (something with swapping weapons, using other gears/stats and the likes). Do fix the WvW servers first tho as the queues are massively long during such events.
    • Fractal events (bonus loots) are fine with me (even tho I never do them). Just make it available for every fractal level and tier tho.
    • Dungeon events are fine with me as well but fix dungeons first, way too many bugs...
    • Races (rollerbeetle/griffon). Like the rollerbeetle weekend event we had with bonus loot.
    • Meta events / map events. This is nice but do check thoroughly that these events cannot stall and fix them before (we have seen this happen with Orr meta when we needed this for a fresh collection).
    • Jumping puzzle event (I still miss jumping puzzles in PoF)
    • Fashion event. Maybe we could do something with costumes/skins. In another game I know of an event with a catwalk and some bidding and you could win skins/costumes tho this copy pasta wouldn't work in GW as the playerbase is too big since in the other game you always ended with at least 1 skin a day. But I guess some dev(s) could come up with something creative.
    • Something with Activities could be nice (tho we have seen those still abandonned during festival like Festival of Four Winds that had an activity in it)
    • Some gathering weekend / craft weekend
  • MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

The Pact Commander mastery line has only 5 masteries.

It'd be nice if it got a 6th tier that makes those unique appear once in a while. I always wanted to chop off a piece of the Claw and get a couple of corrupted lodestones from that.

• Skotlex.7580Skotlex.7580 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2019

One of the best features in GW2 is level scaling, as characters cannot outgrow a zone, unlike most other mmos. however, I feel this isn't being taken advantage of to its full potential as there might be few to no reasons to revisit old maps.

My idea for an event is based on LS1 map invasion events. Back then watchwork mechanisms would flood a specific map, and killing enough would trigger a boss. Thinking of a way of adapting this, what I'd recommend as an event:
    1. Randomly between 1.5 and 2 hours start an invasion, any map is up for selection, including LS ones.
    2. During an invasion, have the map display a progress bar which is filled by killing monsters or completing events(the latter grants more progress).
    3. If the bar gets filled within 15 minutes, spawn some map wide bosses (3 legendaries would be fine by me), which have 10 minutes to be defeated. On defeat, the other bosses get a buff (something like the enrage mechanic the draconic Mons wyverns have). This would encourage players splitting up rather than zerging.
    4. To remove the usual snoozefest that some maps become due to lax scaling, during an invasion all events get aggressive scaling, so that champions start spawning when you have as few as five players participating. Rewards need to be beefed up as well (maybe make every champion level monster drop twice as much loot).

This event (which I'd actually love if it were made permanent) should bring life to most of the game's open world content, and it probably would reduce player wearout.

Edit: for bonus points, include doppleganger adds to the bosses, I always enjoyed that mechanic from the riverlands map. :o

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.