(Spoilers) Memories of Vlast - not useable in instances :( — Guild Wars 2 Forums

(Spoilers) Memories of Vlast - not useable in instances :(

When I first got this item my immediate reaction was to use the Exalted Portal Stone to visit Aurene so I could play it for her. Seemed logical to me since the message is apparently for her. But for some reason it's not possible to use it in instances, and since Aurene only appears in instances that means it's impossible to play the message for her.

I can't be the only one who is disappointed by this can I?

Is there something I've missed that makes it possible to play her the message? At first I thought it would happen as part of the story, but it immediately went back to the fight against Balthazar and there's been no mention of visiting Aurene.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

Comments

  • Renai.9256Renai.9256 Member ✭✭

    Since its an item from a previous living story I don't beleive they'd let us. In the story theres this sense of being landlocked in Elona once we arrive.
    Theres no asura gates, so travel to and fro 'In Cannon' has to be done by traditional means (Chartering a Airship, and such.)
    So I think of it in this way- We're on the other side of the world, the exalted had some impressive magic but it can't reach that far. When you visit Aurene in PoF using the portal stone you're technically going back in time to Living World season 3.
    And (I'm going to put this in a spoiler, but keep it as spoiler free as possible)

    At one point in PoF Aurene isnt in her egg chamber, and I bet if you used the portal stone during that story step she'd still be in the egg chamber. I haven't had the chance to test this, though.

  • probably because lore-wise, there wasn't enough time to travel to tarir and then back to the crystal desert. Waypoints are an iffy point in lore, so it seems like while they are in the crystal desert, it's not really possible lore wise to pop back and forth across the world, especially because the threat of balthazar is so imminent lore-wise, and taking that much time to travel between tarir and the crystal desert (even if assissted by an airship) would take too long, and possibly have lead to bad things happening.

    As for the being unable to play messages in an instance, can't really tell you why. First thing that comes to mind are bugs with it happening, second thing would probably be griefing by friends who have it during instances with important dialogue, a couple of other things that i can't probably think of.

    they also would not have wanted players to do that, since they don't require players to have heart of thorns when buying path of fire, and that was, as you pointed out, something everyone would have thought of (while it is technically season 3, season 3 is exclusive to heart of thorns, and that's where that thinking lies).

    If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate. Veterans can make signatures apparently.

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Renai.9256 said:
    Since its an item from a previous living story I don't beleive they'd let us. In the story theres this sense of being landlocked in Elona once we arrive.
    Theres no asura gates, so travel to and fro 'In Cannon' has to be done by traditional means (Chartering a Airship, and such.)
    So I think of it in this way- We're on the other side of the world, the exalted had some impressive magic but it can't reach that far. When you visit Aurene in PoF using the portal stone you're technically going back in time to Living World season 3.
    And (I'm going to put this in a spoiler, but keep it as spoiler free as possible)

    At one point in PoF Aurene isnt in her egg chamber, and I bet if you used the portal stone during that story step she'd still be in the egg chamber. I haven't had the chance to test this, though.

    I (finally) got to that story step and I checked - when you use the portal stone Aurene is still there. So it looks like it is supposed to be in the past.

    Maybe Anet could update it/add a new one when Season 4 starts which will allow us to visit Aurene after the events of PoF and play her the message.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • @Danikat.8537 said:
    I (finally) got to that story step and I checked - when you use the portal stone Aurene is still there. So it looks like it is supposed to be in the past.

    Maybe Anet could update it/add a new one when Season 4 starts which will allow us to visit Aurene after the events of PoF and play her the message.

    PoF ending spoilers (like legit ending, post final battle stuff, be warned).

    It's pretty obvious that Aurene doesn't return to Tarir, considering the ending that shows the now bigger Aurene surrounded by what looks like branded crystals around her. The footage is intentionally vague in this manner but you can clearly see the contrast of the bright blue with the dark purple in the background.

    If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate. Veterans can make signatures apparently.

  • OriOri.8724OriOri.8724 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    When I first got this item my immediate reaction was to use the Exalted Portal Stone to visit Aurene so I could play it for her. Seemed logical to me since the message is apparently for her. But for some reason it's not possible to use it in instances, and since Aurene only appears in instances that means it's impossible to play the message for her.

    I can't be the only one who is disappointed by this can I?

    Is there something I've missed that makes it possible to play her the message? At first I thought it would happen as part of the story, but it immediately went back to the fight against Balthazar and there's been no mention of visiting Aurene.

    While that is disappointing, I was more upset that visiting Aurene after we finished this story step didn't change the instance and have be brooding and somber. After all, it is an instance, they have the tech to update what goes on in instances based on what we have done in the game

    Eyyyy I unlocked signatures

  • Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @castlemanic.3198 said:

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    I (finally) got to that story step and I checked - when you use the portal stone Aurene is still there. So it looks like it is supposed to be in the past.

    Maybe Anet could update it/add a new one when Season 4 starts which will allow us to visit Aurene after the events of PoF and play her the message.

    PoF ending spoilers (like legit ending, post final battle stuff, be warned).

    It's pretty obvious that Aurene doesn't return to Tarir, considering the ending that shows the now bigger Aurene surrounded by what looks like branded crystals around her. The footage is intentionally vague in this manner but you can clearly see the contrast of the bright blue with the dark purple in the background.

    Putting this in spoilers too, because otherwise I have to be unhelpfully vague.

    Importantly I didn't say the upgraded/new version would take us to Tarir. Just that it would let us visit Aurene. So far she's only appeared in story instances, so the only way we can visit her is by entering an instance of some type. Maybe during Season 4 she'll begin to establish a lair like Glint and Vlast and we could visit her there.

    However it happens I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of Aurene and having been given a message specifically for her I'd very much like to be able to play it to her.

    "You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

  • castlemanic.3198castlemanic.3198 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017

    @Danikat.8537 said:

    @castlemanic.3198 said:

    @Danikat.8537 said:
    I (finally) got to that story step and I checked - when you use the portal stone Aurene is still there. So it looks like it is supposed to be in the past.

    Maybe Anet could update it/add a new one when Season 4 starts which will allow us to visit Aurene after the events of PoF and play her the message.

    PoF ending spoilers (like legit ending, post final battle stuff, be warned).

    It's pretty obvious that Aurene doesn't return to Tarir, considering the ending that shows the now bigger Aurene surrounded by what looks like branded crystals around her. The footage is intentionally vague in this manner but you can clearly see the contrast of the bright blue with the dark purple in the background.

    Putting this in spoilers too, because otherwise I have to be unhelpfully vague.

    Importantly I didn't say the upgraded/new version would take us to Tarir. Just that it would let us visit Aurene. So far she's only appeared in story instances, so the only way we can visit her is by entering an instance of some type. Maybe during Season 4 she'll begin to establish a lair like Glint and Vlast and we could visit her there.

    However it happens I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of Aurene and having been given a message specifically for her I'd very much like to be able to play it to her.

    Some more spoilers.

    While I hate the idea of an item bloat, the item itself is specifically for aurene's egg chamber in tarir, not simply to aurene, and as such we'd have to have a different item to visit aurene while we're in the crystal desert, whether it's her own lair, her mother's or some other location we can't currently think of right now. Hopefully we do get an item like that, cause I definitely think it's a cool idea to show aurene the messages and to see her reaction.

    If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate. Veterans can make signatures apparently.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.