just boosted...

Not trying to discourage but that was a bad move. Take it slow please, i will keep it short :

• First, click the PvP icon on top left of your screen, go to PvP lobby, in here you will find all traits, specs related to your class fully unlocked as long as you have expansions (for elite specs, thief would be Deadeye and Daredevil). Do this and test every single class in game.
  • Leave your thief alone, he/she isn't going anywhere, reroll another class, learn the game. Jump right into the end-game won't do anything good and 8 out of 10 new players i've met didn't make it to a month at the least.
  • Learn about combat, mechanics, etc of your class and the game.If you have to ask then.
  • There is no gear treadmill, get gold and settle yourself with right stats exotic gears then slowly build your way to ascended, then you're good.
  • Doing WvW (massive open world PvP if you wonder), do crafting Raids, Fractals, Dungeons, collecting skins, make yourself shiny and pretty, do ton of achievements, learn the story.......the list went on !!!
  • Get enough Hero Point for your elite specs (500 for both specs) by doing HP in expansion maps (HoT and PoF) which would be extremely difficult right now even with someone carries you around.

@notoriousace.1385 said:

@melandru.3876 said:so, you skipped the initial tutorial (lvl 1-80) you are now end-game ready, but absolutly clueless?

yes. that's why i'm here.

but that's just bad if you ask me

you learn the game by playing it

cross combo (combo finnishers in combo fields)dodgingcrowd controlproffesional mechanics

the instant boosters is great for people who played the normal game, bought the expansion and want to make a new char or whateverfor any new player (as you admit you were) the slow rute is often the best route

play along complete maps, do some story learn a craft or two and progress them as you make progress on your char

Boosting doesn’t have much of an impact in this game as it does in others. The same things you would have been doing can still be done. The only difference is that you now have access to all of your skills and traits to experiment with.

As far as what to do, there’s the story missions, map/world completion, dungeons, fractals, achievements, farming, etc. It all depends on what one wishes to do.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Boosting doesn’t have much of an impact in this game as it does in others. The same things you would have been doing can still be done. The only difference is that you now have access to all of your skills and traits to experiment with.

As far as what to do, there’s the story missions, map/world completion, dungeons, fractals, achievements, farming, etc. It all depends on what one wishes to do.

yeah, true. not sure why these people are making such a big deal out of it. was just looking for some direction.

@notoriousace.1385 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Boosting doesn’t have much of an impact in this game as it does in others. The same things you would have been doing can still be done. The only difference is that you now have access to all of your skills and traits to experiment with.

yeah, true. not sure why these people are making such a big deal out of it. was just looking for some
direction

I don't think it's necessarily that they want to make a big deal about it, however GW2 has much different mechanics than most MMO's that I've seen, and immediately boosting a character before learning the game can cause you too kinda be ahead of yourself in comparison to your counterparts. I believe Tyria is a rather large map with lots to do and lots to learn.

With that being said Ayrilana has a valid point, because of GW2's scaling system it truthfully does not matter much about boosting a character level as far as the things you'd be able to do. For instance, in many other games you may not be able to enjoy questing in certain areas that you are too high level for, but in GW2, if you went to a lower level area, it will scale your character level down to match the mobs in the area.

I think you're best bet for the time being is to complete the story. You'll most likely have a green quest arrow on the top right of your screen reading: ( Chapter 1 ).I believe the progression for the story is every 10 levels the next chapter unlocks, however you will have them all unlocked. I would start with that for now at least to kinda get a concept for the game. Additionally, you should go to metabattle and look into a build that you like for Thief and keep playing around until you can match a play style that you like.

Possibly play some PvP to get a concept for the fighting mechanics afterwards?

Goodluck!

P.S. Don't be afraid to put a hold on your thief for now. I'd even suggest rolling another class or two that you are interested in and test them out in the PvP to see what you like. PvP in GW2 is always scaled up, so even as a level 3 player you will have all skills and builds accessible. It's a great way for you to learn a profession without having to do the lv1-80 questing.

@notoriousace.1385 said:

yeah, true. not sure why these people are making such a big deal out of it. was just looking for some
direction

Because its huge game, you skipped tutorial and expect people here to take their time and EXPLAIN it all to you.I gave you direction, you refuse it. You didn't even bother to search forum for similar topics.Where you should be heading? Anywhere. anywhere you go will teach you bit of the game.

The problem is there isn't really a right answer to that question. This game has never had just one path for progression and at level 80 it becomes even more open - there's a lot of things you can do but nothing you have to do, so everyone's answer is likely to be different and there's no guarantee any of our answers will be right for you.

For example one person might say you should complete the Path of Fire story as quickly as possible to unlock all the mounts then use them to speed up unlocking waypoints on the core game maps and completing Heart of Thorns then focus on doing world bosses and big meta-events. But if you're anything like me that will result in going into the first PoF story instance and dying over and over because boosting your character gave you no opportunity to learn how to play them, feeling pressured to rush through a story you don't understand at all and then disappointed that all that's left for you is farming. But equally if I told that first person to play through the story in order, starting with the level 10 story and taking your time to explore the maps on the way between story instances, which is what I enjoy and what helps me learn combat mechanics, they might conclude that GW2 is a painfully slow, boring single-player game scamming MMO players into wasting their time on it.

Other people might tell you to focus on World vs World or PvP or Fractals or Raids or getting achievement points....and none of them would be any more right or wrong. They're all viable options, but none of them are things you have to do. The only one who can decide what you want to focus on is you, and you can't do that until you've spent some time in-game seeing what's available to you.

So, my advice is this: What you've got is a max level character with most of their skills unlocked (certainly enough to make a functional build) and decent equipment. They can go anywhere in the game and can play any of it's content. But this game has always been about player skill more than character level or gear. If you try to jump straight into end-game zones even the smallest and weakest enemies will wipe the floor with you (especially if you go to HoT, because then the smallest, weakest enemies are pocket raptors and those are vicious). Even in low level zones you'll struggle with some enemies, because you'll be down-scaled to an appropriate level for the area.

So take your time learning how to play - either experiment yourself in low level maps and the PvP lobby, or go to youtube and check out builds and guides, or both. Join a guild which helps new players learn the game. In the course of doing that you'll learn about different types of content and get the opportunity to try them, and then you'll know what you want to focus on. Or you could do a bit of everything.

@phs.6089 said:

direction

Because its huge game, you skipped tutorial and expect people here to take their time and EXPLAIN it all to you.I gave you direction, you refuse it. You didn't even bother to search forum for similar topics.Where you should be heading? Anywhere. anywhere you go will teach you bit of the game.

i'm really not interested in your childish comments. just take it somewhere else mate.

@notoriousace.1385 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Boosting doesn’t have much of an impact in this game as it does in others. The same things you would have been doing can still be done. The only difference is that you now have access to all of your skills and traits to experiment with.

direction

i'm really not interested in your childish comments. just take it somewhere else mate.

Oh, you think you are so original? Check the date on this video and think how many before you did the same, so it's became a meme here

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Boosting doesn’t have much of an impact in this game as it does in others. The same things you would have been doing can still be done. The only difference is that you now have access to all of your skills and traits to experiment with.

direction

Oh, you think you are so original? Check the date on this video and think how many before you did the same, so it's became a meme here

ok. bye buddy.

@Danikat.8537 said:The problem is there isn't really a right answer to that question. This game has never had just one path for progression and at level 80 it becomes even more open - there's a lot of things you can do but nothing you have to do, so everyone's answer is likely to be different and there's no guarantee any of our answers will be right for you.

For example one person might say you should complete the Path of Fire story as quickly as possible to unlock all the mounts then use them to speed up unlocking waypoints on the core game maps and completing Heart of Thorns then focus on doing world bosses and big meta-events. But if you're anything like me that will result in going into the first PoF story instance and dying over and over because boosting your character gave you no opportunity to learn how to play them, feeling pressured to rush through a story you don't understand at all and then disappointed that all that's left for you is farming. But equally if I told that first person to play through the story in order, starting with the level 10 story and taking your time to explore the maps on the way between story instances, which is what I enjoy and what helps me learn combat mechanics, they might conclude that GW2 is a painfully slow, boring single-player game scamming MMO players into wasting their time on it.

Other people might tell you to focus on World vs World or PvP or Fractals or Raids or getting achievement points....and none of them would be any more right or wrong. They're all viable options, but none of them are things you have to do. The only one who can decide what you want to focus on is you, and you can't do that until you've spent some time in-game seeing what's available to you.

So, my advice is this: What you've got is a max level character with most of their skills unlocked (certainly enough to make a functional build) and decent equipment. They can go anywhere in the game and can play any of it's content. But this game has always been about player skill more than character level or gear. If you try to jump straight into end-game zones even the smallest and weakest enemies will wipe the floor with you (especially if you go to HoT, because then the smallest, weakest enemies are pocket raptors and those are vicious). Even in low level zones you'll struggle with some enemies, because you'll be down-scaled to an appropriate level for the area.

So take your time learning how to play - either experiment yourself in low level maps and the PvP lobby, or go to youtube and check out builds and guides, or both. Join a guild which helps new players learn the game. In the course of doing that you'll learn about different types of content and get the opportunity to try them, and then you'll know what you want to focus on. Or you could do a bit of everything.

yeah well i'll still be leveling my necromancer to learn the basics was just looking for some kind of goal on the max level, or something that i should be doing or working towards... guess i'll go unlock some mounts or something....

@notoriousace.1385 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:The problem is there isn't really a right answer to that question. This game has never had just one path for progression and at level 80 it becomes even more open - there's a lot of things you can do but nothing you have to do, so everyone's answer is likely to be different and there's no guarantee any of our answers will be right for you.

So, my advice is this:
What you've got is a max level character with most of their skills unlocked (certainly enough to make a functional build) and decent equipment. They can go anywhere in the game and can play any of it's content. But this game has always been about player skill more than character level or gear. If you try to jump straight into end-game zones even the smallest and weakest enemies will wipe the floor with you (especially if you go to HoT, because then the smallest, weakest enemies are pocket raptors and those are vicious). Even in low level zones you'll struggle with some enemies, because you'll be down-scaled to an appropriate level for the area.

yeah well i'll still be leveling my necromancer to learn the basics was just looking for some kind of goal on the max level, or something that i
should
be doing or working towards... guess i'll go unlock some mounts or something....

The problem with you question, besides those pointed out by others is:

You are approaching this game like traditional MMOs. Asking basically: which carrot should I chase, what should I work towards (gear most of the time in traditional MMOs). Most of those things simply do not apply here.

The 1-80 process introduces you to the game and your base class gradually hopefully instilling some interest to dig deeper. Boosting to 80 deprived you of this experience and now you have no connection to your character, no knowledge of your skills, no nothing with a max level character 5 minutes into the game.

Here is some general things you can start with if you decide to keep playing your thief:

• finish the story
  • start working on unlocking those leite specializations
  • start working on masteries
  • improve your gear and build (the exotic boosted gear is okayish as valkyrie)
  • try out Spvp and WvW
  • try out fractals and dungeons
  • join a guild
  • play a new character

There is a ton of guide videos and threads from people who did the same and were just as lost. I still don't understand why Arnenanet doesn't finally lockout the level 80 boost until at least 1 character is 80 on the account.

I have to agree with most folks on the account that boosting a character Immediately after starting is generally a one shot way to get bored of the character due to not understanding how it works and what to do with all you're given.

You've started a thief, and you think it's the right class for you, which to my mind say you're interested in one or several of those things :-Mobility-Fast Damage-Stealth

If that would be the case, I recommend putting the character on hold, and looking into classes with similar features to get a feel of how combat works at the normal pace, and develop your skills on both classes while not being biased by having too strong of a character. I would recommend a Ranger, or a Warrior, for damage and mobility at the very least. Other classes can have access to Stealth, like Engineer or Mesmer, but thieves are really in a category of their own when it comes to that. Ranger is probably your closest match, but may seem a bit 'vanilla' in comparison.

I certainly do Not recommend skipping to expansion content without doing the main story first on atleast 1 character. Similarly to boosting, doing Expansion storylines for their respective Masteries (Mounts for Path of Fire, and Glider for Heart of Thorns) is a terrible idea, and will get you disinterested in a storyline that is otherwise fairly well written and well paced. It'll also disconnect you from a world that is equally built with love and is coherent with itself. It'll lose that interest and coherence if you start at the end and work your way backward.Another thing you may try is create a different character of a different race. As one of the devs once said, one of strangest thing is that many players are race centric, and thus never experience the backgrounds of all 5 races combined, when they are actually a good way to introduce you to their culture and the world itself and how they are a part of it. Play a Sylvari and then a Charr, and you'll have a pretty different outcome and feel of it. The writing of that part is also pretty good. Reeva is still one of my favorite charr character 6 years after I started playing.

As a lot of people said, that was a pretty bad move to boost your first character to level 80.

Now the best thing I can tell you is...go around the map, do the story, work on map completion, check the Wiki to experiment the world bosses,...

Any PvE thing you can do that will help you understanding your skills and what build you want.Start working on you crafting if you're interested in that...

Basically do everything you would've done from 1 to 80 :/

The only thing post level 80 that you could maybe do is doing the first chapter of PoF to get the mount. Just to make moving around in the world a bit better.

The problem is that there are a lot of things to do in the end game. Like a LOT.It'll honestly be a miracle if you don't end up bored and quit the game...the thing with having to much to do is that you risk to not know what to do, and to do nothing.

What you could do: Well, if you want to play thief, make a thief. Don't boost it. Just play the game to level 80, and discover the game while playing.

That L80 boost item is not really geared towards new players. It is perfect if you want a second character of a profession you already know out of your head.

There is no goal - this is more open ended as a game so you can pretty much do whatever you want. If you want a breadcrumb trail tho, the story will guide you through the game which then allows you to breakaway and explore maps, collections, achievements, dungeons/fractals, raids, competitive modes, making legendaries. GW2 lets you set your own goals and paths. Being a less linear approach is what GW2 was meant to be about.

The story in order;Personal story (core game)Living Story 1 (no longer available)Living Story 2Heart of ThornsLiving Story 3Path of FireLiving Story 4

If you don't care about story, you can just use them to access playing areas, gliding, mounts etc and do them out of order (depending what you bought)

If you want fractals, there in the South of the Lions Arch map. Raids can also be accessed there

Competitive modes can be accessed from the panel at the top of your screen

@notoriousace.1385 said:new player. just boosted a Thief. i think it's the right profession for me. just not sure what to do now. what's the goal? what am i aiming to achieve and where should i be headed?

Well, I say begin at the beginning. Just because you're LV 80 doesn't mean you can't go to the early level areas, as you will be level reduced and the loot that drops will be level appropriate.

So, I say start with your personal story.

I would also keep an eye out for gear upgrades. The gear you got with the boost is Soldiers, which has Power, Toughness and Vitality. Problem is, Thief is very dependant on critical hits, which come from the Precision stat (crit chance) and Ferocity stats (crit damage). So while you are wearing Exotic quality armor, ostensibly 'endgame gear', you would put out better damage wearing Rare quality (yellow) gear with Power/Precision/Ferocity stats. Not a big deal while you're learning the game, but something to keep in mind.