Should ANET have referral program?

Hey guys, what do you think?This might help to bring a lot more "fresh blood" to the game.IMO should be implemented for the expansions + the gem store.The people who will promote the game will be incentivized in one or another way and more players will join the game itself.Both ANET and the constantly raising player base will be happy about this.

It was abused hellaciously in swtor. Because it granted cartel coins(gems), people would be spamming channels selling their codes for millions because you could buy a cartel coin outfit for the coins and sell for many millions.

While most gem store items here are account bound I am still somewhat leary.

I'm not sure how much benefit there would be, especially at this point. Do people really meet someone who might like GW2 then decide not to tell them about it because they won't get a prize from Anet for doing so?

I know the only reasons I haven't told my friends they should play is because they already do (or they tried it and didn't like it for reasons that aren't going to change) because it's really not their kind of game or because they don't like computer games or fantasy. I've never met someone I thought would like GW2 and kept it secret hoping Anet would reward me if I do it later on.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm not sure how much benefit there would be, especially at this point. Do people really meet someone who might like GW2 then decide not to tell them about it because they won't get a prize from Anet for doing so?

I know the only reasons I haven't told my friends they should play is because they already do (or they tried it and didn't like it for reasons that aren't going to change) because it's really not their kind of game or because they don't like computer games or fantasy. I've never met someone I thought would like GW2 and kept it secret hoping Anet would reward me if I do it later on.

There are literally thousands of blogs and social media influencers which make content relevant to PC games/MMOs etc niches.Every single one of you, on this forum, have read articles on the internet, saw social media things related to PC games or have just watched some live streaming on twitch, or videos on Youtube.Yes, some of these influencers are doing this for the sole reason that they are fans of the content they are promoting, but most of them are doing this for the money.If ANET gives them a bigger reason to promote GW2, they will do it, and believe me - there are a lot of content creators relevant to our niche who aren't even mentioning us. Why not give them a small push?It was never about telling this and that to some of your friends. It is about promoting it right. It is for people with a serious amount of followers and supporters where one good written article or nice stream can bring a lot of people to the game or even pull back some of the people that don't play it anymore.

@Etria.3642 said:That isn't a referral program; that's paid advertising.

Influencer marketing is considered a form of referral marketing, as influencers often share their favorite products with followers via organic sharing and sponsored posts. Referral marketing can come from friends, influencers, celebrities, and even online reviews (TripAdvisor and Yelp are good examples of this); again, people trust “real reviews” more than traditional advertising.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"Etria.3642" said:That isn't a referral program; that's paid advertising.

Influencer marketing is considered a form of referral marketing, as influencers often share their favorite products with followers via organic sharing and sponsored posts. Referral marketing can come from friends, influencers, celebrities, and even online reviews (TripAdvisor and Yelp are good examples of this); again, people trust “real reviews” more than traditional advertising.

"Not traditional advertising" and "not advertising" are two different things. I actually wish it was that simple, because then I wouldn't have spent 1/2 my day at work re-wording articles for a newsletter to make sure they're not advertising and therefore GDPR compliant. It may be 'non-traditional' or 'organic' or whatever other terminology you want to use, but at the end of the day it's still Anet paying people to advertise GW2 for them, which is different to a referral program.

And like @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said that already exists. You can read about it here: https://welcome.guildwars2.com/en/affiliate-program?_ga=2.216472534.1794713879.1556314396-606264775.1497391403

I am guessing OP wants to get ANET to pay for him/her to put something up online to counter not getting enough from youtube or such channel traffic.... simple, get on partner program if your worthy otherwise it's for you to get your traffic moving to make that youtube channel pay off these days :)

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:I am guessing OP wants to get ANET to pay for him/her to put something up online.. simple, get on partner program if your worthy otherwise it's for you to get your traffic moving to make that youtube channel pay of these days :)

Nope, I don't have a website or youtube/twitch channel at all.I want more people in-game - that's all.But I will follow your logic and will say "You want GW2 to die, that's why you don't want this"

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

"Not traditional advertising" and "not advertising" are two different things. I actually wish it was that simple, because then I wouldn't have spent 1/2 my day at work re-wording articles for a newsletter to make sure they're not advertising and therefore GDPR compliant. It may be 'non-traditional' or 'organic' or whatever other terminology you want to use, but at the end of the day it's still Anet paying people to advertise GW2 for them, which is different to a referral program.

And like @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said that already exists. You can read about it here:

A referral program is simply a process in which you prime and reward customers for spreading the word about you.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"Bloodstealer.5978" said:I am guessing OP wants to get ANET to pay for him/her to put something up online.. simple, get on partner program if your worthy otherwise it's for you to get your traffic moving to make that youtube channel pay of these days :)

Nope, I don't have a website or youtube/twitch channel at all.I want more people in-game - that's all.But I will follow your logic and will say "You want GW2 to die, that's why you don't want this"

As stated, in case you missed it.. ANET have a partner program already.The game is 6-7 yrs old now and like all games it suffers decline, it's inevitable in a flooded market. No matter how many blogs, youtube channel ads, twitch plays etc are put out, the inevitable always happens... pretty sure ANET have already thought of all those options long ago.BTW, what is this thing called logic and who said anything about wanting the GW2 to die.... how did your logic arrive at that???

The OP's post is probably better presented as:

Should ANet Pay MMO|Gaming Social Influencers More to Refer People to GW2?

The OP even admits that, this "was never about telling this and that to some of your friends." Rather, it's "for people with a serious amount of followers and supporters."

To that question... I don't think we as players can offer a helpful opinion. We have no idea how much this would cost to setup or how many people might be added to the game (new or returning). It's not inherently a good idea nor a bad one; it needs to be evaluation in terms of costs & benefits, like any other business decision and we lack any sort of data to know if it would work.

From a personal standpoint, I've always liked the fact that ANet has tried to promote the game on its merits, not using clever marketing. On the other hand, clever marketing works. It's why people pay oodles of coin for bottled water or think that there's a huge difference between major manufacturers of shoes. So maybe ANet should rethink their policy of old fashioned adverts.

Partner Program"Are you a content creator playing Guild Wars 2? Do you run a podcast, fansite, video channel or live stream channel and would you like to collaborate closely with ArenaNet? We are opening a new program where we will be working closely with content creators to help them grow their channels, gain visibility and even help them with revenue generation doing what they like doing the most.

With the form below we are inviting content creators to tell us about their channels to be part of the ArenaNet Partner Program. If you are creating Guild Wars 2 related content please tell us using the form below!"https://welcome.guildwars2.com/en/partner-program?_ga=2.139394931.1794713879.1556314396-606264775.1497391403

Affiliate ProgramArenaNet is a studio brimming with creativity and expertise. We make online worlds infused with innovation and handcrafted excellence. Our passion is game development that defies convention, because we believe that is how games move forward.

We're not the only ones who share this passion. Our fans have made Guild Wars 2 the fastest-selling MMO game in the West, and press have called it one of the best entries of all time in the genre. The Guild Wars 2 Affiliate Program is excited to work with great partners to help us put some of the best games into the hands of gamers around the world.

Why join the ArenaNet Affiliate Program?

What's the difference between these two and what you're suggesting? What would this idea offer that the existing programs don't?

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

The OP's post is probably better presented as:

Should ANet Pay MMO|Gaming Social Influencers More to Refer People to GW2?

The OP even admits that, this "was never about telling this and that to some of your friends." Rather, it's "for people with a serious amount of followers and supporters."

To that question... I don't think we as players can offer a helpful opinion. We have no idea how much this would cost to setup or how many people might be added to the game (new or returning). It's not inherently a good idea nor a bad one; it needs to be evaluation in terms of costs & benefits, like any other business decision and we lack any sort of data to know if it would work.

From a personal standpoint, I've always liked the fact that ANet has tried to promote the game on its merits, not using clever marketing. On the other hand, clever marketing works. It's why people pay oodles of coin for bottled water or think that there's a huge difference between major manufacturers of shoes. So maybe ANet should rethink their policy of old fashioned adverts.

Hmmm.. what other shoe manufacture could pump me up 2 inches taller or tie my shoe laces for me... :)

And no.. I am not Forest Gump, I have no gratuity payments coming in for there use!