[Suggestion] Back Attack and Down Attack

Some of you might know from where I got this idea but I think It might be a nice idea to reward fight positionning and skill.

So the idea is : (mainly for PvP and WvW modes)

1. Decrease all dmg dealt by 25%
  2. Implement Back attacks that deal +10 or 15% DMG from the back
  3. Implement Down attacks that deal +20 % DMG when An enemy lie on the ground (afflicted by a knockdown or a float... you know the new flying cc)

PROS:

• Reduce the power creep (maybe?)
  • Promote classes such as thieves or revenant to play smartly and less about zerging
  • Increase the skillcap of games
  • Promote WvW flankers strategy, less zerg - more coordination

CONS

• Becomes harder for new players to learn the game (maybe?)
  • Current Strong Flankers classes might be OP after that change.
  • Bullying from veteran players on newbie by flanking (since matchmaking is pretty wide)

It could be applied to PvE too but it's less appealing as a new game mechanic.

Any comment ? :D friendly plz XD

I know bdo, that system with different directions resulting in different attack-types is horrible, at least in bdo due the devs incapability to even its availability out between all classes, resulting in many balance-issues.

I take the 25% damage-reduction across all classes all day but it´s better not to add additional modifiers that makes balancing even harder.

@Arzurag.7506 said:I know bdo, that system with different directions resulting in different attack-types is horrible, at least in bdo due the devs incapability to even its availability out between all classes, resulting in many balance-issues.

I take the 25% damage-reduction across all classes all day but it´s better not to add additional modifiers that makes balancing even harder.

Well ... in BDO it's more complex since all skills apply back attack but you need down smash to be able to proc down attacks

Maybe if all skills applies down attacks then just reduce the dmg multiplier but yeah ... might mess up things.

@kharmin.7683 said:

PROS:
  • Reduce the power creep (maybe?)

CONS
  • Current Strong Flankers classes might be OP after that change.

Not sure how one could reduce power creep but still have strong flankers become stronger?

Cause flankers would have a real benefit to engage ppl from the back than facerolling forward. The impact from the flank would have +15 % more effectiveness than if you would be facing them.

But overall yes... all damage would be slightly decreased when compared to the current numbers. But in this specific situation flanking would be an interesting tactic.

Some classes that already abuse the flanking to pick up some frags (such as deadeye or power mesmer) would have more benefits now ... or less dmg decrease on their overall kits than others. I'm talking in a roaming scale there. Most of these classes aren't in zerg anyway most of the time.But in spvp it might have a greater impact.

There are already plenty of things that benefit from flanking.

Decent commanders also try to do that when the opportunity arises as well. On the other hand if the commander only knows how to lead a brainless blob it won't matter what you add in. A stupid commander will be a stupid commander.

@Klowdy.3126 said:How would you implement this? New weapon attacks? Reworked utility? Bake this into the existing weapons? I'm just trying to wrap my head around actually putting it in the game.

It's a baseline mechanic ... not based on any traits or other existing mechanics ... it will be there in the code on how the game works. At least ... it was how I would have imagine that.Therefore classes that has flanking traits (basically thieves and rangers) will have more benefits than any other class.

While we're at it, here's a list of some things that should be implemented in competitive modes as well:

• aerial combos;
  • the ability to ride normal mounts in PvP (so we see more diversity);
  • the ability to mount during combat (so everyone has a fair chance to disengage);
  • an outgoing damage modifier +0.1% per each point of rank difference between you and your enemy (because surely a seasoned hero is much more combat-effective).

On a more serious note, what you're asking for is already in the game (more or less), just not baseline for everyone. Furthermore, it's already beneficial to stay behind your targets as it messes up targeting of some of their skills.

@Airdive.2613 said:While we're at it, here's a list of some things that should be implemented in competitive modes as well:

• aerial combos;
  • the ability to ride normal mounts in PvP (so we see more diversity);
  • the ability to mount during combat (so everyone has a fair chance to disengage);
  • an outgoing damage modifier +0.1% per each point of rank difference between you and your enemy (because surely a seasoned hero is much more combat-effective).

On a more serious note, what you're asking for is already in the game (more or less), just not baseline for everyone. Furthermore, it's already beneficial to stay behind your targets as it messes up targeting of some of their skills.

Sure ! i'm not really expecting this to come on live servers. Just wonder how this would be welcome by the commynity.