Next Elite Suggestion -- Master/Samurai

Jawbreaker.5968

Very simple suggestion I'd like to drop here for discussion on possible elite specializations for the thief (I know, probably way early to start talking about it)But I've been playing gw2 for years and never thought to ask... what would thief greatsword look like? And immediately am thinking the best way to pull it off is turn them into a sword-master who's main weapon is the "tachi", a small samurai sword more covert agents would use to assassinate their targets

I dunno if that's already in the works or on the creative collage for if/when you bring out the Canthan hype train, but if you are gonna do Cantha, I'd say greatswords for Thief, and make it similar to how Sekiro fights. And if you're all, "But greatsword is a bit much on a thief no? So big!" you can have deflect abilities, and they hold the weapon so if they've got a bigger sword on the new specialization, it looks like a shield instead of a samurai sword, lol

That's all I wanted to say, hopefully the devs consider it! Would keep me for another five years, heheh~

No greatsword, scepter, or focus for Thief please...they are not very Thief like. We're not soldiers, mages, or shaman.

Mainhand mace = burglar/highwayman style - very bandit-esque which follows the Thief flavor.Offhand Sword = swashbuckler or mercenary style - less bandity, but still follows Thief flavor. (Though Mainhand Dagger/Offhand Sword seems very silly)

Mainhand Axe could fit the profile somewhere, but not as easily as Mace or o/h Sword

@"Turk.5460" said:No greatsword, scepter, or focus for Thief please...they are not very Thief like. We're not soldiers, mages, or shaman.

Mainhand mace = burglar/highwayman style - very bandit-esque which follows the Thief flavor.Offhand Sword = swashbuckler or mercenary style - less bandity, but still follows Thief flavor. (Though Mainhand Dagger/Offhand Sword seems very silly)

Mainhand Axe could fit the profile somewhere, but not as easily as Mace or o/h Sword

I really hope it's not a highwayman/burglar/swashbuckler. While it does fit the flavor it's super boring and more or less already what thief is. The e-specs need to contrast the core profession but not to the point of breaking the fantasy of it. I think maybe a "Gorilla Fighter" that uses axe and specializes in short bursts of brawling before ducking out would be neat. Steal could become a disengage instead that breaks stuns, resets your heal, and gives you stealth. Maybe a "Shadowcaster" that uses scepter for team support and debuffing and you could 'steal' to allies, giving them unique buffs. Even though it would be more of a stretch I think greatsword could work with an "Executioner" style spec that focuses on control and well timed heavy blows. The steal in this case could be some kind of pull that strips boons.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@"Turk.5460" said:No greatsword, scepter, or focus for Thief please...they are not very Thief like. We're not soldiers, mages, or shaman.

I really hope it's not a highwayman/burglar/swashbuckler. While it does fit the flavor it's super boring and more or less already what thief is. The e-specs need to contrast the core profession but not to the point of breaking the fantasy of it. I think maybe a "Gorilla Fighter" that uses axe and specializes in short bursts of brawling before ducking out would be neat. Steal could become a disengage instead that breaks stuns, resets your heal, and gives you stealth. Maybe a "Shadowcaster" that uses scepter for team support and debuffing and you could 'steal' to allies, giving them unique buffs. Even though it would be more of a stretch I think greatsword could work with an "Executioner" style spec that focuses on control and well timed heavy blows. The steal in this case could be some kind of pull that strips boons.

did you mean Guerrilla fighter?

@derd.6413 said:

did you mean Guerrilla fighter?

No, you transform into a gorilla with axes and go ape kitten on them.(yeah, that's what I meant. )

@Jawbreaker.5968 said:Very simple suggestion

DUDE!!!On these forums we all have been over this topic billiom times -.- and the answer was ALWAYS NO!!!It doesnt fit thematicaly it doesnt fit gameplay wise majority of ppl doesnt want it we had evrn poll on it.JUST NOif you wanna play final fantasy go play final fantasybeaides Anet needs to deal with all the mess i this game state new elite specs should be at the very bottom of their list of prioritiesAnd NO greatsword will not be wellcome for Thief EVER

@Zexanima.7851 said:

ROFLMAOSHMBFOTFAN EXECUTIONER HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAyou made me spit my drink matewith our dmg output???Da kitten would we execute?Drakes?

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:If we're going to graft real-world specific careers onto Tyria, Ninja would be a better fit for Thief, and Samurai should be warrior. And then Ranger can be Cowboy, emphasizing mount skills. =)

Daredevil... EhhhOh wait they already deleted that classforget i have mentioned it

I want less weeabo crap; It's everywhere else and the last thing I want is some naruto crap in guild wars. If anything AT ALL; Bring the assassin back from guild wars 1 and make their weapon a Ax + Mace deal. Their four and five would be hard cc's and their ax would be a burst damage style of combat; With some condi's. Change their steal to "Assassinate" And have it be a high burst teleport slash that does more damage depending on health percentage; The lower the health the higher the damage. Then have them contain a crap ton of life-steal and or siphon on their kit. Make them a brawler who is alot more akin to the assassins in guild wars 1.

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

ROFLMAOSHMBFOTFAN EXECUTIONER HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAyou made me spit my drink matewith our dmg output???Da kitten would we execute?Drakes?

That's what the e-spec would add, heavy burst damage. Maybe have an "execution" ability replaces the steal that gets stacks per ini spent (if that skill damages the enemy). The execution damage could go up like 10% per stack to something like a max of 200% damage then if you're target is below 50% health it goes up by another 100%. Then when you execute it clears the stacks. GS abilities would revolve around blinds, CC, and blocks to keep you alive while you build stacks and whittle down your enemy.

Just some GS ideas since everyone seems to think it's the worst thing every. Not really dedicated to any of them:

1. 3 move auto chain that applies 1s AoE blind on last swing on up to 5 targets
  2. Hold the blade in front of you and block 3 attacks. If three are blocked, release a shadow eruption and knock down 3 targets. If fully channeled, gain 3 seconds of stealth
  3. Slam your sword in the ground and cause a shadow sword to erupt at the target location knocking enemies back. Activate again to shadow step to the sword.
  4. Swing the sword in an overhead arc, summoning hidden blades from above. The AoE has three pulses, first cripple, then slow, then immobilize. If all three hit, the target is also dazed for 1/2 second. 3 targets.
  5. Channeled skill: Cost-2 ini/sec. Gain quickness every second. All GS attacks steal 1 boon.

@"Zexanima.7851" said:

That's what the e-spec would add, heavy burst damage. Maybe have an "execution" ability replaces the steal that gets stacks per ini spent (if that skill damages the enemy). The execution damage could go up like 10% per stack to something like a max of 200% damage then if you're target is below 50% health it goes up by another 100%. Then when you execute it clears the stacks. GS abilities would revolve around blinds, CC, and blocks to keep you alive while you build stacks and whittle down your enemy.

Just some GS ideas since everyone seems to think it's the worst thing every. Not really dedicated to any of them:

2. Hold the blade in front of you and block 3 attacks. If three are blocked, release a shadow eruption and knock down 3 targets. If fully channeled, gain 3 seconds of stealth
  3. Slam your sword in the ground and cause a shadow sword to erupt at the target location knocking enemies back. Activate again to shadow step to the sword.
  4. Swing the sword in an overhead arc, summoning hidden blades from above. The AoE has three pulses, first cripple, then slow, then immobilize. If all three hit, the target is also dazed for 1/2 second. 3 targets.
  5. Channeled skill: Cost-2 ini/sec. Gain quickness every second. All GS attacks steal 1 boon.

Man you realize that just one Elite traitline will not fix our whole DPS in competetive modes rightIf it even is goign to fix it ppl are going to make such cheesy builds out of it combining it with our most powerful triats we already have that Anet will have to nerf it under the ground OR they do it like they did it with DE by nerfing anything and everything else. That is just not what we can afford atm.I mean cool Executioner yea sure nice. But mate that will not happen surely not now with this unbalanced state of game.Specualting over new especs atm is completely useless. nice idea but not now

@Jack Redline.5379 said:

@"Zexanima.7851" said:

Man you realize that just one Elite traitline will not fix our whole DPS in competetive modes rightIf it even is goign to fix it ppl are going to make such cheesy builds out of it combining it with our most powerful triats we already have that Anet will have to nerf it under the ground OR they do it like they did it with DE by nerfing anything and everything else. That is just not what we can afford atm.I mean cool Executioner yea sure nice. But mate that will not happen surely not now with this unbalanced state of game.Specualting over new especs atm is completely useless. nice idea but not now

I'll come up with fun ideas whenever I please, thank you very much. I don't see the correlation between starting a discussion with "Hey, I think this would be a cool idea" and game balance. I'm not even sure thief has that major of a DPS problem as we shouldn't have super high dps. At the most we should have a fairly strong burst. Thief is suppose to rely on mobility and it's ability to control the fight. We don't need more 1 shot power houses. For the most part though I think the issues is that other professions are now able to do what a thief can do but better all across the board. It's also the amount of sustain now that makes thief seem like it's lacking in damage. All we have left is our slightly superior mobility (which is falling behind by the update) and easier access to stealth. I'm not denying thief needs to see some changes but I don't think its damage is the major issue, it's other professions growing amount of sustain. Anyway, I came here to comment on and brainstorm cool ideas, not argue about balance.

@Turk.5460 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I want less weeabo kitten; It's everywhere else and the last thing I want is some naruto kitten in guild wars...

@Thornwolf.9721 said:Change their steal to "Assassinate" And have it be a high burst teleport slash...

:smirk:

I was thinking more in like with the assassin in the first game; They had a teleport finisher that would knock the enemy down, which did tons of bleed/burst. I mean it was an actual profession thing prior to GW2 so I wouldn't mind to see it return as it was pretty cool.

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:I want less weeabo kitten; It's everywhere else and the last thing I want is some naruto kitten in guild wars. If anything AT ALL; Bring the assassin back from guild wars 1 and make their weapon a Ax + Mace deal. Their four and five would be hard cc's and their ax would be a burst damage style of combat; With some condi's. Change their steal to "Assassinate" And have it be a high burst teleport slash that does more damage depending on health percentage; The lower the health the higher the damage. Then have them contain a kitten ton of life-steal and or siphon on their kit. Make them a brawler who is alot more akin to the assassins in guild wars 1.

I'll start by saying I do like your idea's on the mechanics but I want less boring, bland kitten; That last thing I want is a bleh e-spec that doesn't do anything daring with the profession. Also, lets not resurrect old ideas and instead move forward and come up with different equally as fun ones. I'm fine with using something as inspiration but for the love of the six if our next e-spec for thief is a 'bandit' or 'assassin' I'll go fire Anet's design department myself. Tropes are useful and all but I think Anet is good enough with their design to take a leap and try to bend the 'rouge' trope to make something unique with it.

@Zexanima.7851 said:

@"Thornwolf.9721" said:I want less weeabo kitten; It's everywhere else and the last thing I want is some naruto kitten in guild wars. If anything AT ALL; Bring the assassin back from guild wars 1 and make their weapon a Ax + Mace deal. Their four and five would be hard cc's and their ax would be a burst damage style of combat; With some condi's. Change their steal to "Assassinate" And have it be a high burst teleport slash that does more damage depending on health percentage; The lower the health the higher the damage. Then have them contain a kitten ton of life-steal and or siphon on their kit. Make them a brawler who is alot more akin to the assassins in guild wars 1.

I'll start by saying I do like your idea's on the mechanics but I want less boring, bland kitten; That last thing I want is a bleh e-spec that doesn't do anything daring with the profession. Also, lets not resurrect old ideas and instead move forward and come up with different equally as fun ones. I'm fine with using something as inspiration but for the love of the six if our next e-spec for thief is a 'bandit' or 'assassin' I'll go fire Anet's design department myself. Tropes are useful and all but I think Anet is good enough with their design to take a leap and try to bend the 'rouge' trope to make something unique with it.

You don't understand thief as it is right now, relies more on hit and run. They don't brawl or have more of a sustain to them like the Assassin did in guild wars 1; The assassin was a warrior slaying badass. They could stay in the thick of it and do some serious damage; And sustain themselves while doing it. I condemn that they removed it for this piece of shit we have now and I miss the hell out of my old assassin especially when it could steal necro minions and turn them on the enemy thus rendering some nercomancers useless.

I was only spit-balling but Id rather have some guild wars 1 professions that I KNOW Can't come back be baked in to an elite spec to pay homage to the first game. Ritualist and Assassin can be baked into necro/thief and it would be fine. The only one who can't be is dervish and it would need a new list of powers because we no longer have the six gods (Channeling dragon magic?)

The assassin would basically be the sustain/tankier version of the thief and give it alot of abilities we don't have currently on them. Focused less on stealth and more on having the tools to walk right up to someone and go full John Wick on them, it also would change the class as E-specs tend to do. I mean think about it a lifesteal/High cc build on a thief with hard punishing skills for daring to get in melee with them. No need for stealth but you still have it as an option? I think that giving them those tools make them way more interesting; Because it sets them apart from what has already been done. We have a stealthy variant, we have a dodge happy variant and we have an even more stealth dependent version as well. How about one that just isn't, who can say "Screw you" And walk up and brawl with it's own variant of endure pain to boot.

@"Crab Fear.1624" said:I bet it is torch or shield.

We got people crying the loudest for better condi thieves or a duelist.

Either of those have the potential to satisfy at least one of those groups.

Money is on torch because of PVE potential greatness.

These bandits carry torch:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bandit_Scout

We all wish that. All condi thieves wish that. We were good all year Santa could give us gift