Black Screens / connectivity issues — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home

Black Screens / connectivity issues

TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

Since today I frequently get a black screen in Guild Wars 2. The game continues to run, does not crash, and displays no error message.

I can press F12 for a log out screen, showing that the game is still running. The graphics driver does not crash and continues to display other windows. The problem is limited to the Guild Wars 2 client. I did not change anything to my system that ran Guild Wars 2 fine before.

Yesterday everything still worked fine. Today I get these Black Screens of Death. I did not make any changes to my computer, including the graphics card or driver.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

Comments

• TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm also having connection issues to the GW2 forum today, including forum replies failing to post in one time and images not loading. I suspect there is some kind of connection problem.

My ISP is ZeelandNet.nl and I'm connected from The Netherlands to GW2 EU servers.

Forum error:

Ascalon Will Prevail!

This is what it looks like when it happens:

Ascalon Will Prevail!

• Xarnaroth.4589Xarnaroth.4589 Member ✭✭

Exact same issue. Nothing support suggest seems to be working

Whatever it was, it has gone after one day. I hope it never comes back.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

• FunKiller.6570FunKiller.6570 Member
    edited May 16, 2020

2020 and still getting this. Sometimes I can play 2h without error to appear. Sometimes I get like 3 black screens in 10 minutes.
    Tried running on port 80, port 443. Disabling port filtering, disabling firewall, reinstalling nvidia drivers, running on low specs, still getting this, and it happens only in GW2.
    Pretty sad they can't fix this for years.

edited May 17, 2020

In my case, I found out much later that it was triggered by a specific "problematic" version of Malwarebytes Anti Malware.

Namely component version 1.0.586

It solved itself when malwarebytes updated and it never happened again with newer versions. I'm currently running Malwarebytes 4.1.0.56 which is way newer. I only realized this was the problem when I restored my system from a backup which had the 'bad' version of Malwarebytes and the problem returned until i manually updated the program.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

• Alik.9651Alik.9651 Member ✭✭

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:
    This is what it looks like when it happens:

Exactly what I facing these week ...

• Hi All

Was plagued by repeated crashes during story line boss battles .... extremely frustrating at HOT & POF mega battles it err codes indicated server related issues.

Thank you QuickFox above for the MalwareBytes tip...

Have used MB for 10+ years and it is great........ BUT when i shut down MB the reliable "Server crashes" during mega battles have seemed to completely end ... at least so far.

I would add that i was running the latest version Malwarebytes 4.1.0.56 and it was still seemingly causing crashing, which could be a timing issue depending on sys.

I had just spent mega bucks upgrading to the latest & best MOBO - M2 & 1660 to no avail ......... the fix appears to be turnoff Malwarebytes during play, hope this helps others, look at your resident antivirals they maybe intercepting Guildwars server calls.

There have been some recent problems with Malwarebytes slowing down DNS requests. Especially on computers who have not been restarted for some time.

I downgraded to version 4.0.4.49 + component version 1.0.750 to be sure. I never had black screens again tho.

Ascalon Will Prevail!

• Galeskyring.9617Galeskyring.9617 Member ✭✭✭

I've been having a similar issue for the last 2-3 days where the game random freezes and when I try too exit o go too character select it just black screens. Forcing me too tab out of game and force close it.