Server without level scaling

I know alot of people like level scaling, but i hate it. Theres enough 80+ content to keep you busy. Plus whats the point of keeping hero points and levels seperate? levels are obviously pointless now since the only reason both levels and hero points are for skills now. I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by :(. I know there are more people like me that feel the same way that don't like the level scaling, so I was wondering if a non level scaling server could be made at least. I'd switch to wow but i don't want to do the monthly subscription thing. There are so many group events i cant solo at lvl 80 and theres not enough ppl to do them with... its annoying.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d be surprised they could make this work given how the mega servers operate and manually switching to a specific server doesn’t seem to be feasible.

Downscaling has been one of the huge successes of the game and whilst you are likely right that others share your feelings, I’d expect them to be far too small a group to warrant Anet investigating and implementing such a thing (at a cost no doubt). I’m not even sure what the incentive for them to do do is for it to be honest.

That’s my guess/opinion though

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by :(... you trying to solo behemoth or something while 100 people nearby are scaling it up and having a laugh? Theres literally nothing in the lowlevel PvE zones that can substantially hurt a level 80 except major bosses and some very specific champs that has a tendancy to selfheal over the downscaled dps you can do.

So I have to ask - what event in queensdale are you talking about?

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:I know alot of people like level scaling, but i hate it. Theres enough 80+ content to keep you busy. Plus whats the point of keeping hero points and levels seperate? levels are obviously pointless now since the only reason both levels and hero points are for skills now. I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by :(. I know there are more people like me that feel the same way that don't like the level scaling, so I was wondering if a non level scaling server could be made at least. I'd switch to wow but i don't want to do the monthly subscription thing. There are so many group events i cant solo at lvl 80 and theres not enough ppl to do them with... its annoying.

dunno what youre trying to do, but u have far more skills to use when ur maxed out and traits aswell u should be able to do pretty much anything beside a handfull of bosses.

i kinda solo everything in these zones beside the obvious bosses.

@"GordonFreeman.6392" said:I know alot of people like level scaling, but i hate it. Theres enough 80+ content to keep you busy. Plus whats the point of keeping hero points and levels seperate? levels are obviously pointless now since the only reason both levels and hero points are for skills now. I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by :(. I know there are more people like me that feel the same way that don't like the level scaling, so I was wondering if a non level scaling server could be made at least. I'd switch to wow but i don't want to do the monthly subscription thing. There are so many group events i cant solo at lvl 80 and theres not enough ppl to do them with... its annoying.

Won’t do you any good to go to WoW. They have their version of level scaling they’re putting in, zone scaling. I suppose they feel it’s a good idea for people not to be able to hulk smash low level zones but instead still have a challenge possible wherever they go.

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

• It's not hard to get to L80 in this game
  • This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

@"GordonFreeman.6392" said:so I was wondering if a non level scaling server could be made at least.

Getting back to this question, no. It’s because of how the servers are set up. They have megaservers, which means in PvE there is just one big server in NA and one big server in EU that everyone plays on and map shards are created and destroyed depending on the map population. To do what you suggest means they would need to break up the megaserver system and create another server system that people would need to get on to play. If popular it would divide the PvE population into two groups with increased number of map shards and if not popular then it would be a lot of work that would be underutilized.

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:I know alot of people like level scaling, but i hate it. Theres enough 80+ content to keep you busy.

You posted the above and then mentioned the below:

I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by :(

So why are you in Queensdale if there’s plenty of 80+ content to keep you busy? Why go to any of the sub-80 zones at all?

If we do not bother with how difficult it would be to implement for a second, what you are asking for is basically a complete split of the player base per region which in and of its self is not a good idea.

Having non scaling zones gives a direct advantage to players subject to those rules. As such, these players would require:

• separate servers which causes a split
  • a separate trading post per region
  • very likely a start from scratch design as to not contaminate the new game rules on the additional servers with existing characters

Adding a non scaling rule set goes beyond just flipping a switch and having some players not scale down.

TL;DR:There is almost no chance something like this gets implemented and even if it did, you would most certainly not be able to use your currently existing characters for this.

There's a lot of technical difficulties they would need to work on to develop this game (such as making a completely new server and reconstructing damage calculations to coincide with level).

Alongside community based difficulties that the dev team will need to deal with such as dead zones where new players literally can't find anyone to play with because everyone who plays is already over levelled and there's no incentives to even go to low level zones, or if there is, high level players will literally monopolise it because of the drastic difference in potential between low and high levels.

The bog standard MMORPG concept of higher levels = easier time in lower level areas are outdated in my opinion. That's how power creeps begin with most MMOs as they start to add new game equipment for new content and higher level caps per update patches, GW2 already has certain power creeps that people are well aware of and level scaling being removed will more than likely cause a much larger problem with regards to power creep. The level scaling design mitigates a good portion of a serious power creep in this game.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...
  • This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

Its actually not that easy to get to 80 but because gw2, the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:

Its actually not that easy to get to 80It actually can be that easy to get to L80, unless you don't leave the cities. Everything in this game generates experience and there are more XP buffs available than ever, many for coppers. You can level crafts or complete maps (even cities) and so on.

the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boostersNo, it's really not because (a) it's been in the game since day 1 and there weren't L80 boosters until recently and (b) because, again, it's a design feature to ensure that sub L80 content remains interesting for more people for more time than in other games.

instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...In other games, I find myself having to replay content
for the same character
in order to level up.

This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

Its actually not that easy to get to 80It actually can be that easy to get to L80, unless you don't leave the cities. Everything in this game generates experience and there are more XP buffs available than ever, many for coppers. You can level crafts or complete maps (even cities) and so on.

the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boostersNo, it's really not because (a) it's been in the game since day 1 and there weren't L80 boosters until recently and (b) because, again, it's a design feature to ensure that sub L80 content remains interesting for more people for more time than in other games.

instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...In other games, I find myself having to replay content
for the same character
in order to level up.

This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1. After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class. (all the classes aren't particularly balanced) so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets. And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

@"GordonFreeman.6392" said:Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1.In fact, it was in the game from Day 1.

After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class.And how does that relate to level scaling?

all the classes aren't particularly balanced so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets.They have added lots of content. Apparently, it's not the type of content you enjoy.

And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

I'm not sure how either of us are equipped to decide what "should have been in the game" from the start. It's a design decision, which ANet made based on their ability to deliver mounts in the way they saw fit, their ability to make a world environment suitable for mounts, and their priorities for all sorts of other things.

For myself, I love having done Core Tyria without gliding and HoT without mats, because I got to enjoy it multiple times, from different perspectives.

@"GordonFreeman.6392" said:Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1.In fact, it was in the game from Day 1.Idk what game u played thenAfter Heart of thorn they just added 1 class.And how does that relate to level scaling?It relates to scaling because im making a point they are being lazy with their content creation, by adding strict level scaling.all the classes aren't particularly balanced so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets.They have added lots of content. Apparently, it's not the type of content you enjoy.They have lots of content so why recycle the old content and not push out new? because they are lining their pockets with your gem purchasesAnd the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

I'm not sure how either of us are equipped to decide what "should have been in the game" from the start. It's a design decision, which ANet made based on their ability to deliver mounts in the way they saw fit, their ability to make a world environment suitable for mounts, and their priorities for all sorts of other things.yeah after like 6 years...For myself, I love having done Core Tyria without gliding and HoT without mats, because I got to enjoy it multiple times, from different perspectives.cool.

This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.I have an open mind to good ideas not ones that are poo. I am just trying to get a conversation going so maybe something will happen to help me and others like me enjoy the game.

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:

@GordonFreeman.6392 said:Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1.In fact, it was in the game from Day 1.Idk what game u played thenMaybe you can describe what you think level scaling is.

Here's the definition I'm usinghttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character#Dynamic_level_adjustment"Dynamic level adjustment is a game mechanic that automatically scales a character's base attributes to match the effective level of the current area. Level-based unlocks like skill slots and traits are retained. "

That's always been in the game.

After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class.And how does that relate to level scaling?It relates to scaling because im making a point they are being lazy with their content creation, by adding strict level scaling.So you agree that it bears no relationship to level scaling, other than more professions is something you'd prefer over more elite specializations for the same profs.

all the classes aren't particularly balanced so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets.They have added lots of content. Apparently, it's not the type of content you enjoy.They have lots of content so why recycle the old content and not push out new?And they keep adding content. Despite not being the sort of content you enjoy, it's still content.

because they are lining their pockets with your gem purchasesThis is how the company funds its development: with gem purchases.

And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

I'm not sure how either of us are equipped to decide what "should have been in the game" from the start. It's a design decision, which ANet made based on their ability to deliver mounts in the way they saw fit, their ability to make a world environment suitable for mounts, and their priorities for all sorts of other things.yeah after like 6 years...PoF was released 5 years after launch, not 6.

Regardless, you specifically claimed it should have been in the game at launch, without giving any reason. ANet wasn't ready to deliver mounts suitable for Guild Wars. I think it was worth the wait, because these are some of the most interesting and fun mounts in MMOs 2019.

For myself, I love having done Core Tyria without gliding and HoT without mats, because I got to enjoy it multiple times, from different perspectives.cool.Yes, it was.

This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.I have an open mind to good ideas not ones that are poo.If you think ANet's ideas are bad, then why play this game? The reason people like GW2 is partly because ANet has been very careful about what they release and when.

I certainly don't like everything in the game and there's some stuff I hate (including some stuff that they have doubled and trebled down on over time). On balance, though, I like the philosophy that PvE should encourage cooperation, that content should remain playable and relevant no matter how veteran one is, and that there's no subscription fee.

When it comes down to it, removing scaling essentially makes the lower level areas much much easier and much much less rewarding. What you're saying it, Queensdale at 80 is too difficult for you, which kind of boggles my mind. Yes, I can still die there(I decide to sit and harvest something while letting a slew of enemies whale on me, oops) but if I'm somewhat aware it's fine. I've noticed you responding to Ill-Conceived but not other's questions: what on earth is in QD that is killing you? And why would you want zero rewards?

In other games, once you level above the enemies, they gray out, and you get nothing from them.

You still have not clarified how it is possible for a lvl 80 character to die from mobs in queensdale. Most champs could be solo'd before the expansions, now with new skills and builds it can't be harder. If you are dying on low level maps due to downscaling I have to guess you are also dying on lvl 80 maps.

I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by

The last time I nearly died on a low level map was because I was mining something and chatting in guild chat and ignoring the mob chewing on me. If you’re dying on a low level map it’s either because you’re not paying attention or...... what were you doing?

And if you die on a low level map and you’re doing your best then you might want to check your gear and traits.

Theres enough 80+ content to keep you busy

That’s true. No reason to be on a low level map that you don’t enjoy when you could be playing on a level 80 map.

@Yargesh.4965 said:You still have not clarified how it is possible for a lvl 80 character to die from mobs in queensdale. Most champs could be solo'd before the expansions, now with new skills and builds it can't be harder. If you are dying on low level maps due to downscaling I have to guess you are also dying on lvl 80 maps.

Why can't i one shot them though? if don't do anything they still shouldn't be able to damage me, I can die if i have 5 moa's agrroed on me and don't do anything. Should be invulnerable in that situation if I am 80. I don't want to have tp try to fight lvl 20 bandits in kessex they should just die from my auto attack.