Requiem: Caithe - thoughts and feelings? — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

Requiem: Caithe - thoughts and feelings?

Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭✭

So the last short story for Caithe appears to be shorter and less informative than the other two. What did you get out of it?

Comments

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Are you reading the full version or the bugged half version?

I'll likely read it later, but again I don't like the artwork. I know it isn;t important, but after how dreadful the Rytlock pic looked I hoped they'd find something more representational.

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Fleabite.7528Fleabite.7528 Member ✭✭✭

I was really moved by the story. But I'm also terribly sad, having hoped there might be a secret Caithe had to tell as the final chaper approaches - something about her service to Aurene, some sort of hope after the needless sacrifice. Yet just as with Rytlock and Zafirah , Caithe is lost too.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Personally I hope they didn't bring it up because it will be a plot point in the episode itself. Who knows.

• Zalani.9827Zalani.9827 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019

I liked getting some more depth into Caithes side of things in the past, I’ve always been a little curious about that as a sylvari fan.

Apparently the commander has disappeared, I wonder if that’s going to be important next episode.

Jadis Narnia, Sylvari Ranger of [VoS]

Praise Joko!

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019

I liked the additional insight into Faolain as an abuser--Caithe as a victim of serious abuse puts a lot of her actions into perspective. Especially considering, this abuse began almost as soon as she was born. The nature of Sylvari makes it into an insidious combination of early child abuse as well as relationship abuse. I think Anet did a good job of putting Caithe's actions into perspective.
    Konig, I don't think the lore about Faolain having a different personality was retconned. Rather, we have been given additional insight into why her personality was different. Faolain has always been a sociopath--but when the world was new and she only had the other Firstborn to rely on, she put a nice face on for her own preservation. As she became more confident and secure, more of her true nature began to emerge--thus the "different personality"

• Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I was disappointed in this one too. Rytlock's and Zafirah's story gave a lot of new lore, this just felt hollow.

• @Weindrasi.3805 said:
    I liked the additional insight into Faolain as an abuser--Caithe as a victim of serious abuse puts a lot of her actions into perspective. Especially considering, this abuse began almost as soon as she was born. The nature of Sylvari makes it into an insidious combination of early child abuse as well as relationship abuse. I think Anet did a good job of putting Caithe's actions into perspective.
    Konig, I don't think the lore about Faolain having a different personality was retconned. Rather, we have been given additional insight into why her personality was different. Faolain has always been a sociopath--but when the world was new and she only had the other Firstborn to rely on, she put a nice face on for her own preservation. As she became more confident and secure, more of her true nature began to emerge--thus the "different personality"

Why did the Sociopath embrace the Darkness of the Dream's counterpart to Orr? What is the Darkness of the Dream's counterpart to Orr? It clearly helped her to subjugate and corrupt the Nightmare Court Members(turning the Fern Hounds darker and meaner) without subjugating her but what is it?

• Orr? what has Orr to do with this?

• Sir Vincent III.1286Sir Vincent III.1286 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    Overall this one was disappointing. It was the one I looked forward to the most in hopes it shared light on Aurene branding her, but instead we just go into more detail on a bunch of things we already knew from the sylvari blod posts, Season 2, and HoT/S3. They even seem to retcon the original lore of Faolain having a different personality before the two went traveling through Tyria.

In the end, Zafirah's and Rytlock's were far more interesting to me.

Yeah, I like Rytlock's story the most. The recent event really hurt his pride that he doesn't even want to hold Sohothin anymore.

In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

• @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    Orr? what has Orr to do with this?

It is stated that before Faolain took over the Nightmare Court she met a Great Darkness and while Caithe fled it Faolain embraced it. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dream_of_Dreams#cite_note-8 is the Ingame source of this information...

Interestingly enough Caithe mentions having saw Zhaitan personally at the end of Chapter 1 of the Sylvari Personal Story... Since Zhaitan obviously couldn't subjugate Faolain it lends to question what exactly did he give her or say to her that would make her bold enough to drop the nice act and be capable of permanently corrupting unwilling Sylvari of the Nightmare Court(the willing members seem sane) to the Nightmare?

• ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

It was interesting to see how she connected with Aurene. She didn't do it out of simply acting on her Wyld Hunt. She did it because Aurene was the only creature she saw fit to connect with (I'm using connect as a loose term for trust).

Everything she did was outside of everyone she should have trusted because her whole life is about being used. Even her whole existence as Sylvari was about being used by Mordremoth so it was definitely understandable.

Hit me quite hard when she spoke about the Commander as well since she never realized that out of all other people who would be affected by Aurene's death, it would be the person she should have trusted to begin with, which is the Commander.

• ThatOddOne.4387ThatOddOne.4387 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019

I'm quite pleased it seems the opening of the Episode will just be Caithe saying "Hey lets die together" and not something silly like "I have a plan", or anyone else turning around and saying "I have a plan", which I would have hated.

Still leaves open the possibilities for what is actually going to happen.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

Originally, the lore given to us was that Faolain's personality changed because Caithe and Faolain were the first sylvari discovered the Nightmare. That Faolain was not "always a sociopath" but became one after being warped by the Nightmare just as we see it warp other sylvari like Tiachren in the Shield of the Moon story. That after finding the Nightmare was when Faolain slowly became more obviously manipulative of Caithe.

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:

The very first original lore on Faolain, Caithe, and the Nightmare was that they first encountered the Nightmare on their travels through Orr.

As @Mickey Frogeater.1470 said, there's still an in-game source for Faolain embracing that "great darkness" while Caithe didn't, but the mention of Orr has been lost. I believe it was a forum post on Guildwars2Guru in the early days, but that's been taken down so it's pretty much impossible to find the source anymore (was pretty kitten hard before then to find any particular post). Though I don't think that Zhaitan personally is the great darkness Faolain embraced (doesn't make much sense to me unless we're talking about Zhaitan's shadow domain).

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:
    I'm quite pleased it seems the opening of the Episode will just be Caithe saying "Hey lets die together" and not something silly like "I have a plan", or anyone else turning around and saying "I have a plan", which I would have hated.

If anyone comes up with a plan at the beginning, it'd be the Commander - for once.

All these squares make a circle.

• DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

Originally, the lore given to us was that Faolain's personality changed because Caithe and Faolain were the first sylvari discovered the Nightmare. That Faolain was not "always a sociopath" but became one after being warped by the Nightmare just as we see it warp other sylvari like Tiachren in the Shield of the Moon story. That after finding the Nightmare was when Faolain slowly became more obviously manipulative of Caithe.

The very first original lore on Faolain, Caithe, and the Nightmare was that they first encountered the Nightmare on their travels through Orr.

As @Mickey Frogeater.1470 said, there's still an in-game source for Faolain embracing that "great darkness" while Caithe didn't, but the mention of Orr has been lost. I believe it was a forum post on Guildwars2Guru in the early days, but that's been taken down so it's pretty much impossible to find the source anymore (was pretty kitten hard before then to find any particular post). Though I don't think that Zhaitan personally is the great darkness Faolain embraced (doesn't make much sense to me unless we're talking about Zhaitan's shadow domain).

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:

If anyone comes up with a plan at the beginning, it'd be the Commander - for once.

I would like it more if the commander go‘s: kitten it! I gonna kill that kitten dragon!

Accepting his faith.
    We have lost, but lets go down with a fight.

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

Overall this one was disappointing. It was the one I looked forward to the most in hopes it shared light on Aurene branding her, but instead we just go into more detail on a bunch of things we already knew from the sylvari blod posts, Season 2, and HoT/S3. They even seem to retcon the original lore of Faolain having a different personality before the two went traveling through Tyria.

In the end, Zafirah's and Rytlock's were far more interesting to me.

Maybe they simply want to share her branding story in game - we're going to meet her for sure in the beginning of War Eternal, so we'll have a discussion with her. If they keep this juicy branding stuff to make this in game, then I want that 100 times more than it to be in a short story.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

H. P. Lovecraft

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ChronoPinoyX.7923 said:
    It was interesting to see how she connected with Aurene. She didn't do it out of simply acting on her Wyld Hunt. She did it because Aurene was the only creature she saw fit to connect with (I'm using connect as a loose term for trust).

Everything she did was outside of everyone she should have trusted because her whole life is about being used. Even her whole existence as Sylvari was about being used by Mordremoth so it was definitely understandable.

Hit me quite hard when she spoke about the Commander as well since she never realized that out of all other people who would be affected by Aurene's death, it would be the person she should have trusted to begin with, which is the Commander.

yeah, that's really good way to think about it.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

H. P. Lovecraft

• Fleabite.7528Fleabite.7528 Member ✭✭✭

All three Requiems speak to the end of all things. That is, that the failure to defeat Kralk now heralds the apocalypse, the end of days for Tyria. Maybe that's the real takeaway here :'(

Rytlock: "Aurene was the only way to save Tyria.

She was supposed to kill the Crystal Dragon, absorb his magic, and—I don’t know. It’s not like we had better options. Every other plan ends with the annihilation of all existence.

Even if we somehow did manage to end Kralkatorrik without her, all that magic inside him—from Zhaitan, Mordremoth, and Balthazar…

The boom wouldn’t be pretty.

All of my friends, my family—they’re going to die in this doomed world because I’m a failure."

Zafirah: "Maybe what I had for that short time between my lowest point and the end of all things was as good as it will ever get for me.

Or maybe the vision that saw me standing there at her side during the final battle against Kralkatorrik was meant as a warning for me stay away.

There is no solace in what lies ahead. "

Caithe: "Here, at the end, all I can think about is the beginning... The end has come. Without you, what hope does Tyria have? My duty now is to bear witness to the end of all things. To stand beside your shell as I wait for reality itself to crumble away."

• ThatOddOne.4387ThatOddOne.4387 Member ✭✭✭

Correct, which means something ultimately unexpected is going to happen. I look forward to it.

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:

I would like it more if the commander go‘s: kitten it! I gonna kill that kitten dragon!

Accepting his faith.

Finally going solo, I'd love it.

• ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

@DanAlcedo.3281 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 said:

@ThatOddOne.4387 said:

Accepting his faith.

Let's be honest, the Commander already died once, they could just as well jump in to fight Kralk, all guns blazing, all swords swinging and do it with reckless abandon without a care in the world. That sounds like breaking point to me which seems to suit the narrative moving forward since we're at that point where the Commander doesn't know what to do.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

The best thing we have to take away is the setup for the beginning of the episode. Nobody had a plan and we all know it won’t be long before kralkatorrik destroys the world. We’re basically going “screw it, let’s try to kill him anyway”. Caithe will mail us and somebody will have some location to attack him at (new map), and we’re probably just going to go for it

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

Felt like a missed opportunity. I already pretty well knew or could have guessed she had a messed-up, psychologically abusive relationship with Faolain. I would have been interested to know how she was processing her transformation in light of everything that happened. Is she just Caithe, with an Aurene infusion in her armor? Or is she different somehow? Did being branded alter her connection to the Pale Tree? We've already had some deep dives on Sylvari lore in LS, there isn't much else to be learned from it.

• Erasculio.2914Erasculio.2914 Member ✭✭✭✭

I wasn't expecting much from Caithe's story; all of them followed the same model of being heavily about the past, instead of talking much about the present, and we have already seen Caithe's past over and over (and over and over) again.

The most interesting thing was seeing how the "present" is a few days after Aurene's death, not immediatelty after. I wonder if they are going to show how the Commander was mourning.

"Tomorrow my master chokes on his own whip!" - Lore of Skaen, PoE

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Erasculio.2914 said:
    I wasn't expecting much from Caithe's story; all of them followed the same model of being heavily about the past, instead of talking much about the present, and we have already seen Caithe's past over and over (and over and over) again.

The fact we actually know Caithe's past is why I was hoping it'd be about more modern times. Zafirah and Rytlock, we didn't know their past.

• ugrakarma.9416ugrakarma.9416 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019

Yeah im with u guys above - For those played LS2 its just more of the same: immersion on Caithe past...... the writers should have thought of that.

main pvp: Khel the Undead(power reaper).

• Zalani.9827Zalani.9827 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Zalani.9827 said:
    I liked getting some more depth into Caithe a side of things in the past, I’ve always been a little curious about that as a sylvari fan.

Apparently the commander has disappeared, I wonder if that’s going to be important next episode.

Once the Commander has finished venting on every major boss in mainland Tyria via a timeloop, they'll reappear

Lol it’s either that or they disappeared into the happy-fun world of Super Adventure Box, never to be seen again.
    Until Moto kicks them out.

Jadis Narnia, Sylvari Ranger of [VoS]

Praise Joko!

• CETheLucid.3964CETheLucid.3964 Member ✭✭✭✭

I thought it was pretty good. It's definitely the weaker story of the bunch but it does add a lot of extra depth to Caithe's past and really works to 'humanize' Caithe. She's a very loving and emotional person under her stoic visage and while a lot of us suspected as much it's good we got a solid look into that side of her.

I also like how at the end it offers a kind of third person look at the Commander. We've kind of gone afar and fallen silent. I feel like @Konig Des Todes.2086 said, we'll come back and concoct a plan but we'll be angry and grief-stricken. We'll be a bit reckless, a little too unconcerned for our own safety. Maybe our guildies end up bringing us back out of our head before we end up getting ourselves killed.

My bets on Braham being the guy that does this... if it pans out like that. I'm just thinking out loud.

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

@CETheLucid.3964 said:
    I also like how at the end it offers a kind of third person look at the Commander. We've kind of gone afar and fallen silent.

Well, you know, content drought.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:
    We'll be a bit reckless, a little too unconcerned for our own safety. Maybe our guildies end up bringing us back out of our head before we end up getting ourselves killed.

My bets on Braham being the guy that does this... if it pans out like that. I'm just thinking out loud.

That sounds like Tony Stark in his drunken stupor and the Avengers (guildies) bringing him back. Instead of Captain America, you used Braham. That would be some boring cliché if they take that path.

We need the writers to be creative and not rehash or retell existing stories.

• Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

I actually think it provided an essential piece of Caithe's motivation that'd been missing up to this point. For the last 4+ years, everything Caithe has done has revolved around Aurene, but except for some vague references to a Wyld Hunt and the PC not letting her get involved with anything else, she's never had a reason of her own to do so. The first instance of E5 gave her a better stake, but it still needed a better fleshing out, particularly since she's not a very expressive character. (And it also answers why she ever loved Faolain to begin with, which was a frequently asked question after the flashbacks in S2. I just don't know how many people still care enough four and a half years later to still be asking.)

Like with Rytlock and Zafirah, though, the test is going to be what happens next. If these three character arcs just go right back on the shelf for another couple years, then all the Requiem stories will really be is a neat marketing gimmick, and we've had plenty of those in the past.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

@Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:
    We'll be a bit reckless, a little too unconcerned for our own safety. Maybe our guildies end up bringing us back out of our head before we end up getting ourselves killed.

That sounds like Tony Stark in his drunken stupor and the Avengers (guildies) bringing him back. Instead of Captain America, you used Braham. That would be some boring cliché if they take that path.

You would know. Not too long ago it was Braham who was hurt and acting out. It'd make sense he'd end up being the guy to confront us about acting out in grief. It's a fairly common trope. It's not exclusive to the Avengers.

• brenda.9723brenda.9723 Member ✭✭✭

The story told us nothing new.
    They only made the relationship between faolain and caithe less interesting. Instead of telling a story how faolain became evil, she was evil from the start.
    There was a lot of nightmare court lore (and sylvari lore in general) missing in HoT, but they missed again another opportunity to give it to us.

I liked the other two stories way more.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

You would know. Not too long ago it was Braham who was hurt and acting out. It'd make sense he'd end up being the guy to confront us about acting out in grief. It's a fairly common trope. It's not exclusive to the Avengers.

Ah yes, "common" a.k.a. cliché .

I still have faith that the writer team can be creative.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

You must be fun at movie night.

We agree on that much.

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

@CETheLucid.3964 said:

You must be fun at movie night.

We agree on that much.

And I'm glad that they didn't take the cliché path.