What single major change would you like to see for Necro? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What single major change would you like to see for Necro?

I know everyone talks about overall issues like sustain, mobility, damage etc.. I also have read some elaborate overhauls to the necro class. I think most overhauls are probably far fetched. The devs may implement some changes but a complete top to bottom fix is unlikely unless it's for all classes. Thus I want to know what single major change would you like to see. It can be 1 skill or trait or 1 condition exchanged for another etc.

As a Reaper main I'd like to see Deathly Chill restored to its former glory. My ideal version would be accomplished by changing 2 stacks of bleeding to 1 stack of fire & 1 stack of torment. Is this OP? I think it would make the trait better and fit much more thematically to extreme cold. The biggest issue people had with the move to bleeding was that with all the condi cleanse in the game a slow damage dealer like bleeding is easily removed before full damage. Even if not removed it tics so slowly that with health management or regeneration it can just be healed through.

Like my change? What's yours?

Comments

  • Warscythes.9307Warscythes.9307 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2019

    @Akrasia.5469 said:
    I know everyone talks about overall issues like sustain, mobility, damage etc.. I also have read some elaborate overhauls to the necro class. I think most overhauls are probably far fetched. The devs may implement some changes but a complete top to bottom fix is unlikely unless it's for all classes. Thus I want to know what single major change would you like to see. It can be 1 skill or trait or 1 condition exchanged for another etc.

    As a Reaper main I'd like to see Deathly Chill restored to its former glory. My ideal version would be accomplished by changing 2 stacks of bleeding to 1 stack of fire & 1 stack of torment. Is this OP? I think it would make the trait better and fit much more thematically to extreme cold. The biggest issue people had with the move to bleeding was that with all the condi cleanse in the game a slow damage dealer like bleeding is easily removed before full damage. Even if not removed it tics so slowly that with health management or regeneration it can just be healed through.

    Like my change? What's yours?

    Yes is overpowered, 1 stack of fire is roughly 3 bleed stacks and 1 torment is roughly 1 bleed. So this just doubled the damage on deathly chill and made it harder to cleanse.

    Personally in terms of major change for me is really just reworking death magic.

    A smaller change would be a damage bump on well of corruption or at least tweak other wells so burst damage goes up but not overall damage.

  • Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭
    1. Staff overhaul/rework
    2. Minion Rework/overhaul
    3. Curses and hex's be brought back from guild wars 1
    4. Ritualist Elite spec.
  • Minion rework into valid power build seems logical, I would quite like managing health to summon more minions, they could balance this by putting a dps cap on individual minions. It would be really cool having to micromanage those kittens through raid mechanics and to have a valid power build.

  • VDAC.2137VDAC.2137 Member ✭✭✭

    I don’t think fire fits with the necro theme. Chill, bleeding, poison or vulnerability seem more in line.

    Personally, I’m happy with necro as is although if I could have one thing changed, it would be for damage not to carry over from shroud.

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

    death magic gm trait - 1 sec invuln when entering shroud, shroud cd reduced by 5 sec.
    get your tear buckets ready!

    The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

  • Akrasia.5469Akrasia.5469 Member ✭✭

    @Thornwolf.9721 said:
    1. Staff overhaul/rework
    2. Minion Rework/overhaul
    3. Curses and hex's be brought back from guild wars 1
    4. Ritualist Elite spec.

    People are not getting the 1 major change concept I'm asking here. Not asking about overhauls or new elite specs. There are a LOT of posts on here about that. I'm saying 1 major trait or skill that you'd like to see change. Instead of a full staff rework, I'd say I'd like Staff 1 to have an attack chain that also includes a knockback on the 3rd hit. (Just made that up off the top of my head) OR you could say I'd like staff 1 to have 1/4 sec cast time for more LF regen.. etc. Thanks for posting.

  • Akrasia.5469Akrasia.5469 Member ✭✭

    @Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    death magic gm trait - 1 sec invuln when entering shroud, shroud cd reduced by 5 sec.
    get your tear buckets ready!

    I'll second that. I've posted for 1 sec of invuln when entering shroud as well. Suits the class. Put it as a GM DM trait. Shroud cooldown may be pushing it though ;)

  • Akrasia.5469Akrasia.5469 Member ✭✭

    @Warscythes.9307 said:

    Yes is overpowered, 1 stack of fire is roughly 3 bleed stacks and 1 torment is roughly 1 bleed. So this just doubled the damage on deathly chill and made it harder to cleanse.

    It may be overpowered but bleed it so weak. The old Deathly Chill was a new condition (so harder to cleanse) and did higher damage. Fire is the closest to what the old trait was so I'd be ok with it just being 1 stack of fire. Fire is only 3x because the damage is done in a shorter duration. On paper bleed is about the same overall damage and it stacks higher. The key is cleanse. Fire is much less likely to be cleansed before decent damage sets in, not even great damage .. just decent.

    A smaller change would be a damage bump on well of corruption or at least tweak other wells so burst damage goes up but not overall damage.

    Sounds good

  • Akrasia.5469Akrasia.5469 Member ✭✭

    @VDAC.2137 said:
    I don’t think fire fits with the necro theme. Chill, bleeding, poison or vulnerability seem more in line.

    Personally, I’m happy with necro as is although if I could have one thing changed, it would be for damage not to carry over from shroud.

    Fire works for Necro if you think demonic more than zombie. Think of Ghost Rider as sick kitten Reaper. Spawn could be thought of as a necro as well.

  • TheSwede.9512TheSwede.9512 Member ✭✭✭

    Swap weapons skills around a bit to fix staff and open more possibilities for Life Force generation with other weapons through the Soul Marks trait.

    Staff
    1. Necrotic Grasp
    2. Mark of Blood
    3. Chillblains
    4. Deathly Swarm - From Dagger OH
    5. Enfeebling Blood - From Dagger OH

    Dagger Off-hand
    4. Putrid Mark
    5. Reaper's Mark

    With this change, Staff gets some more interactive gameplay and stronger Condition Damage game while still retaining a focus on Marks with the low-CD spammable ones. It also retains its Condition Cleansing utility with Deathly Swarm but trades its CC for more Bleeds, Weakness and Boon Corruption.

    Off-hand Dagger will now offer up more to Power-based builds while still retaining enough Utility to be interesting to Condition Builds. Now allows players to make some use of Soul Marks without being pidgeon-holed into playing staff for LF generation and grants them access to Fear to combo with Axe (Dread trait) or Scepter (Terror trait).

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If I had to choose a single one... I'd add to beyond the veil a leap finisher when leaving shroud and modify the prot so that it's given to allies instead of minions.

    Otherwise, there is plenty of minor or major change that I'd want to see but you got to choose a single one, that's the rule :)

  • EremiteAngel.9765EremiteAngel.9765 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019

    Reaper shroud cooldown is changed to 7 seconds baseline.

    Core Necro and Scourge shroud cooldowns unchanged.

  • Warscythes.9307Warscythes.9307 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2019

    @Akrasia.5469 said:

    @Warscythes.9307 said:

    Yes is overpowered, 1 stack of fire is roughly 3 bleed stacks and 1 torment is roughly 1 bleed. So this just doubled the damage on deathly chill and made it harder to cleanse.

    It may be overpowered but bleed it so weak. The old Deathly Chill was a new condition (so harder to cleanse) and did higher damage. Fire is the closest to what the old trait was so I'd be ok with it just being 1 stack of fire. Fire is only 3x because the damage is done in a shorter duration. On paper bleed is about the same overall damage and it stacks higher. The key is cleanse. Fire is much less likely to be cleansed before decent damage sets in, not even great damage .. just decent.

    A smaller change would be a damage bump on well of corruption or at least tweak other wells so burst damage goes up but not overall damage.

    Sounds good

    Duration doesn't matter much in PvP unless is drastically lower. Trying to design things based on theme is fine, trying to balance the game on it is not. Even at 1 burning it would be still overpowered because it is still stronger than 3 bleed stacks mathematically and that was deathly chill prenerf. You would have to dramatically decrease the duration for this to work.

    Also you are talking about 2 stacks of bleed, that's in PvE. PvP/WvW only has 1 stack of bleed. Now imagine tripling it.

  • dceptaconroy.7928dceptaconroy.7928 Member ✭✭✭

    @EremiteAngel.9765 said:
    Reaper shroud cooldown is changed to 7 seconds baseline.

    Core Necro and Scourge shroud cooldowns unchanged.

    BINGO. Everytime this. Huge mistake they made doing what they did. The shroud dance is what we want back.

  • Anchoku.8142Anchoku.8142 Member ✭✭✭✭

    If it was only one thing, then the original Dhuumfire.

  • XECOR.2814XECOR.2814 Member ✭✭✭

    Completely rework staff away from passive marks. Its unfun and spammy.

  • Lahmia.2193Lahmia.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2019

    Lich Form rework so it is no longer a form. Unlike other recent reworks, that have disappointed me, they could do no wrong since I haven't used the skill in years and have no plans to.

    "Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death."

  • Psaro.6178Psaro.6178 Member ✭✭

    A bug fix to Sand Swell

  • Nimon.7840Nimon.7840 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2019

    @Psaro.6178 said:
    A bug fix to Sand Swell

    There's no bug. Only features xD

  • DanAlcedo.3281DanAlcedo.3281 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Increase Axe dmg.
    Axe Auto now inflcts 2 Stacks of bleeding.

  • MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I'll repost the changes to Staff I mentioned in another thread, along changes that would come with it to make the staff changes work and make staff a more support-oriented weapon that goes well with Blood Magic and dagger+warhorn as the other weapon set:

    Personally, I would prefer if marks were spread among different weapons like Guardian symbols, and that marks and traps got a flip-over skill to trigger them on demand so they can be used against world bosses and objects, since those do not trigger marks and traps.

    • Marks:

      • Marks are now on every main hand and 2h weapon instead on staff only. Each weapon gets only 1 mark.
      • Now marks flip over to a skill to activate the mark manually. Marks triggered manually take longer to recharge.
    • Soul Marks: This trait still makes Marks unblockable. Increase life force from marks to 15%.

    • Blood Bond renamed Vampiric Bond

      • Instead casting lesser Signet of Vampirism, now it heals allies around an enemy when you steal life from them (1s cooldown)
      • Also replaces Necrotip Grasp with Vampiric Grasp, that deals more damage, bleeding for 6s and steals life from bleeding enemies.
    • Staff:

      • Necrotic Grasp
      • Mark of Blood renamed Path of Blood

        • No longer a mark, now it's a cascading AoE with 600 range l like Legendary Dwarf stance's Inspiring Reinforcement, but starting at target enemy, so there won't be hits between caster and target like with revenant hammer 2 Coalescence of Ruin.
        • Still gives regen.
        • Increase bleeding stacks to 4 and damage by 15%.
      • Chilblains

        • No longer a mark, now it's a pulsing Poison Field AoE.
        • Each pulse deals damage and poison. Bleeding enemies receive more stacks of poison.
        • First pulse deals chilled.
        • Last pulse removes 2 boons.
        • Inflicts self-poison, 2 stacks for short duration, like 4 seconds.
      • Putrid Mark renamed Plague Sending

        • No longer a mark. Still a single strike blast that deals damage and transfers conditions.
      • Reaper's Mark renamed Mark of Fear

        • Effects would be unchanged, and remains as the Mark for Staff.
    • Scepter - Grasping Dead renamed Mark of Undead and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

    • Axe - Unholy Feast renamed Unholy Mark and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.
    • Dagger - Dark Pact renamed Dark Pact Mark (say that 3 times fast) and converted into a Mark. Bleeds self on cast, not on mark trigger. Same effects otherwise.
    • Spear - Deadly Catch renamed Deadly Mark and converted into a mark. When triggered, it pulls enemies to the mark location instead self. Same effects otherwise.
    • Trident - Feast renamed Mark of Hunger. Same effects on trigger.
    • Greatsword - Nightfall renamed Mark of Nightfall and converted into a mark. Same effects otherwise.

    Scourge won't get a mark in torch since marks would be in the main hand weapon for 1h weapons.

  • Methuselah.4376Methuselah.4376 Member ✭✭✭

    Soul Barbs - Two versions:
    Either:
    Increase damage to 15%. Lasts indefinitely while in Shroud and for 15 seconds after leaving Shroud.
    or
    Gain 10% damage increase when entering combat. Double that when in Shroud.

  • Kuulpb.5412Kuulpb.5412 Member ✭✭✭

    Single major change: Complete Rework to focus more on necromantic things like Lifesteal and death and not "Oh, those boons you had, I could have stripped them really quickly but i'll slowly turn them into conditions so you can cleanse them one at a time"

  • Alchimist.4738Alchimist.4738 Member ✭✭✭

    I want a complete rework of the Death Shroud.

    Ever since the Reaper came out, the Death Shroud felt like a worst iteration of the Reaper's Shroud, it's worst at power and condition damage, and not really unique enough. Even without the comparison the Death Shroud is too slow and some of the skills are really clunky to use, such as Dark Path.

    I really like the idea behind Tainted Shackles, I think they should push the idea further so the Death Shroud is about binding yourself to your opponents, so all the skills of the Death Shroud would affect bound enemies, and the skill to bound would work on an ammo basis, and then you can play with sharing conditions with your foes and taking their boons, sort of like a parasite.

    Additionally I would make Plaguelands and Corrosive Poison Cloud grow in size similarly to Nightfall, and adjust some numbers in accordance.

  • From a support in WvW perspective...

    I would love to see the 'pulling to you' aspect of Transfusion moved to something else, like Signet of Undeath, at least in WvW. The support of Scourge can be powerful, but the pulling aspect in WvW, especially in a zerg environment, is despised for good reason. Just being able to heal regularly without the worry of pulling your friends into AoE bombs unintentionally would be a very welcome change. If you want the pull, pop the signet and it works just like it does now, but you have better control over the when and how it is used.

    And/Or...

    As Siphon Life is a widely represented, but rarely specced for ability of Necro's in general, lets increase it some to make it a viable, tanky, playstyle.

  • Dadnir.5038Dadnir.5038 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kuulpb.5412 said:
    Single major change: Complete Rework to focus more on necromantic things like Lifesteal and death and not "Oh, those boons you had, I could have stripped them really quickly but i'll slowly turn them into conditions so you can cleanse them one at a time"

    I think I've had enough of the lifesteal aspect with the recent change to focus and warhorn. The specific "lifesteal" that they force onto the necromancer is just bad in both damage and sustain even if from a metric point of view, if you add all the lifesteal sources, the sustain is awesome and the DPS good for a 0 crit build.

    No more lifesteal please, it honestly suck.

    @Drakh.2941 said:
    From a support in WvW perspective...

    I would love to see the 'pulling to you' aspect of Transfusion moved to something else, like Signet of Undeath, at least in WvW. The support of Scourge can be powerful, but the pulling aspect in WvW, especially in a zerg environment, is despised for good reason. Just being able to heal regularly without the worry of pulling your friends into AoE bombs unintentionally would be a very welcome change. If you want the pull, pop the signet and it works just like it does now, but you have better control over the when and how it is used.

    And/Or...

    As Siphon Life is a widely represented, but rarely specced for ability of Necro's in general, lets increase it some to make it a viable, tanky, playstyle.

    I see what you mean here, yet a the "pull" on a 3 seconds cast time skill would be as good as removing the pull from the game. I think better support/tanking options in other traitlines than blood magic would be more effective to create a "tanky playstyle". The point is that vampiric rituals is supposed to be the selfish tanky GM trait in BM, yet from a scourge's perspective it limited greatly your quality of life compared to transfusion.

    Ultimately, I think that traits that affect a specific kind of skills might either disappear for more "generic" forms like what we got with our "minion skills" or what they do with weapon traits. For example, I'd imagine vampiric ritual to drain life around you whenever you lose life force with a 1 or 1/2 second ICD and keep the CD reduction and prot on wells. This wouldn't benefit scourge a lot, obviously, but this would make core necromancer and reaper tankier, allowing the "tanky" playstyle with greater QoL. To make it benefit the scourge as well we could imagine a change on sadistic searing so that it allow punishments to sacrifice a low amount of life force (1% to 3%) on use for an initial extra effect (for example, it could give scourges this new dark aura whose effects fit the scourge's own effects).

  • Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭

    add a new f2 to core and reapsy

  • Add a way to call back minions. So many times I go to mount up (especially annoying when trying to follow a squad, the rest of whom are mounted and gone before I can get on) and my kitten minions are busy fighting something that looked at them funny. Especially on the new map.

  • Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

    Increase dagger chain damage by ~20% and allow it to hit 3 targets.

    Either that or increase greatsword AA speed by 33%. Melee is just too ineffective unless you are in Reaper shroud, and you can't stay in RS for any appreciable amount of time.

    WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

  • Totite.6543Totite.6543 Member ✭✭

    I all times remember the days of GW1 when the master sacrificed her blood to feed the minions . It is desired that skill added in. The other wish is to order the minions to focus to a single target.

  • Kuulpb.5412Kuulpb.5412 Member ✭✭✭

    @Dadnir.5038 said:

    @Kuulpb.5412 said:
    Single major change: Complete Rework to focus more on necromantic things like Lifesteal and death and not "Oh, those boons you had, I could have stripped them really quickly but i'll slowly turn them into conditions so you can cleanse them one at a time"

    I think I've had enough of the lifesteal aspect with the recent change to focus and warhorn. The specific "lifesteal" that they force onto the necromancer is just bad in both damage and sustain even if from a metric point of view, if you add all the lifesteal sources, the sustain is awesome and the DPS good for a 0 crit build.

    No more lifesteal please, it honestly suck.

    @Drakh.2941 said:
    From a support in WvW perspective...

    I would love to see the 'pulling to you' aspect of Transfusion moved to something else, like Signet of Undeath, at least in WvW. The support of Scourge can be powerful, but the pulling aspect in WvW, especially in a zerg environment, is despised for good reason. Just being able to heal regularly without the worry of pulling your friends into AoE bombs unintentionally would be a very welcome change. If you want the pull, pop the signet and it works just like it does now, but you have better control over the when and how it is used.

    And/Or...

    As Siphon Life is a widely represented, but rarely specced for ability of Necro's in general, lets increase it some to make it a viable, tanky, playstyle.

    I see what you mean here, yet a the "pull" on a 3 seconds cast time skill would be as good as removing the pull from the game. I think better support/tanking options in other traitlines than blood magic would be more effective to create a "tanky playstyle". The point is that vampiric rituals is supposed to be the selfish tanky GM trait in BM, yet from a scourge's perspective it limited greatly your quality of life compared to transfusion.

    Ultimately, I think that traits that affect a specific kind of skills might either disappear for more "generic" forms like what we got with our "minion skills" or what they do with weapon traits. For example, I'd imagine vampiric ritual to drain life around you whenever you lose life force with a 1 or 1/2 second ICD and keep the CD reduction and prot on wells. This wouldn't benefit scourge a lot, obviously, but this would make core necromancer and reaper tankier, allowing the "tanky" playstyle with greater QoL. To make it benefit the scourge as well we could imagine a change on sadistic searing so that it allow punishments to sacrifice a low amount of life force (1% to 3%) on use for an initial extra effect (for example, it could give scourges this new dark aura whose effects fit the scourge's own effects).

    You know, they could rework lifesteal, and THEN rework necro for lifesteal,

  • Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2019

    actually probably the best change necro can get is to have good life force generation on all weapons auto attacks.

    The horror...…….the horror...…….the horror...…….

  • Sublimatio.6981Sublimatio.6981 Member ✭✭✭
    1. rework entire staff, new skills new unique animations
    2. swapping minion skills while they are summoned doesnt put the skill on cooldown
    3. finally give animation to casting wells while holding gs... 2015 was 4 years ago srsly
    4. focus #4 i would change to some aoe dmg ticking field
    5. well of darkness smoke field for stacking stealth (niche)
    6. life force generation on underwater spear is crippled, add some!
    7. give some leap/blink on necro weapons like dagger main hand

    "clang clang shriiiiek clang!" -Belinda Delaqua
    When I join your LFG

  • trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭

    Remove shroud degeneration and make shroud abilities cost life force.

  • Etterwyn.5263Etterwyn.5263 Member ✭✭✭

    @trixantea.1230 said:
    Remove shroud degeneration and make shroud abilities cost life force.

    That would be way too strong for Reaper though, with the quickness/ferocity buff it just got. With Spite and SR traits you can easily maintain 25 Might and 25 Vuln, which makes almost everything melt like warm butter as it is.

    I'd prefer to have ways to build life force back up faster, but we won't get that due to Scourge.

    WvW™ - where you find more Red Rings of Death than an Xbox repair facility.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.