Haven't played since launch, so I'm basically new. Having a devil of a time picking main professi!!

I've been leveling classes to 15 and then shelving them to make a new one that looks "shiny" to me. So far I've got a Mesmer, Ranger (want to make Soulbeast), and Elementalist up to around level 15, but now I'm balking on those and looking to make a Necromancer. I'm looking for a class that can hold their own but won't bore me with ease. I know that people tend to tell new players to not take Mesmer and Elementalist, but the challenge they offer has drawn me in a bit. Overall, I'll be doing my leveling solo and would like a class that can handle content with ease to some degree.

Are there general tips for picking a main that any could offer? Or maybe how you settled on your main? Alt-itis is real with me and I'm not even into the game very much!

This is probably the most alt friendly game ever. I levelled my 5 character slots in parallel, the problem I had was selecting which classes to skip until I was more involved in the game to acquire the remaining slots.

Since gearing up is relatively easy, it's not too taxing to gear up all your characters. Even if you choose to go the fractal route and desire a full deck of ascended armor, I hear tier 4 rewards those quite frequently, so you'll just need one character there, and the rest will be geared up eventually via drops.

To be able to answer your question, OP, I'd need to know what bores you out of a class. I can recommend a minion necromancer, which is probably the easiest build to go through open world (and does both tanking and good damage later on via the reaper specialization).

If you want challenge, the most difficult builds for first timers will probably be mesmer and thief. Elementalist is also there depending on what utilities you use (picking glyphs and having a summon alleviates a lot of survival issues).

In closing, I'd say to embrace your altholism, don't deny it. :P

@"Llegien.6387" said:I've been leveling classes to 15 and then shelving them to make a new one that looks "shiny" to me. So far I've got a Mesmer, Ranger (want to make Soulbeast), and Elementalist up to around level 15, but now I'm balking on those and looking to make a Necromancer. I'm looking for a class that can hold their own but won't bore me with ease. I know that people tend to tell new players to not take Mesmer and Elementalist, but the challenge they offer has drawn me in a bit. Overall, I'll be doing my leveling solo and would like a class that can handle content with ease to some degree.

Sometimes what people don't tell you is as important as what they do tell you. Mesmer and elementalist can be challenging but that all depends on what sort of trade offs you are willing to make. In other words it depends on the build. Challenging and complex doesn't necessarily equal to good results. There was a time when condi engineer was one of the most challenging to play due to the complex rotation but the results it produced was still only slightly less than the best. In that case the challenge is only good if you like challenge for challenge's sake and didn't care about the results that much.

People also seems to have a tendency to oversell the difficulty and challenge of certain classes for whatever reason. My chronomancer is probably one of my easiest and safest character to play. Not quite on the same level as reaper but that also depends on what is being fought.

One of the negative consequences of playing multiple classes/builds is that it can be very easy to forget some of the useful details. Especially those that do not need to be used often like comboing focus 5 on guardian with one of my many light fields for additional condi cleanse.

• Alt-o-holic
  • Enjoys complexity

Kind of feel you answered yourself, and I'm not sure what to recommend, since you'd likely try it and find a new shiny afterwards ?

Best I can recommend is "Try all the classes, up to level 30" Simply because you unlock traits at level 21 which changes and adds much more complexity to the class, and you generally don't get enough skill points from leveling to unlock an entire trait line until around level 30. Add level 31 for trying the elite skill. And you sound like the kind of player that just has to try all the things first to see if you find something to stick with.

But if you enjoy complexity in a class, I can at least list the classes according to complexity:

Least:

• Warrior
  • Guardian
  • Ranger
  • Necromancer

Middle:

• Revenant
  • Thief

Most:

• Engineer
  • Elementalist
  • Mesmer

@joneirikb.7506 said:But if you enjoy complexity in a class, I can at least list the classes according to complexity:

Least:

• Warrior
  • Guardian
  • Ranger
  • Necromancer

Middle:

• Revenant
  • Thief

Most:

• Engineer
  • Elementalist
  • MesmerIt depends. I'd put mesmer lower. At least my core mesmer does not feel more complex than my scourge, but it's easier to stay alive on. Firebrand could be placed higher, perhaps.

I fall asleep playing warrior and ranger. Necro, guardian, mesmer and rev need a bit more attention, but are also still quite forgiving. Ele and engi are complex, but if you are not into raids and high-end gameplay, they are not too difficult to learn either.

I'd recommend not making decisions while leveling. When you have reached level 80 and unlocked your traits, the classes all feel very different than when you just start out. To get a first impression, you can take any low level character to the PvP lobby. There, everything is automatically unlocked and you can try playing around a little and get a more realistic impression of the classes. If leveling bores you, you can also just boost the class you like.