So what is the new map name?

I suspect the new map is somehow a spoiler for the plot. They seem to be going out of their way to avoid showing much of, or telling us anything about it. For example this is the first time I remember the trailer for an episode not showing off the new map, instead it was one long cut scene. (Which was great, and very fitting, but unusual for a living world trailer.)

That makes me think the people saying we might be going into the Mists could be right. Or at least that it's going to be somewhere distinctive. If it was just another part of Elona they could probably show it without giving away what's going to happen while we're there.

Or we could just wait till May 14th to find out.

In all seriousness I think they said going forward they might begin expanding some older maps instead of making entirely new ones, but I can't remember where I read that (or if it was starting with this episode if it is true)

@Karnasis.6892 said:Or we could just wait till May 14th to find out.

In all seriousness I think they said going forward they might begin expanding some older maps instead of making entirely new ones, but I can't remember where I read that (or if it was starting with this episode if it is true)

I remember reading that too, but I thought it was about season 5 (and onwards). Although I can't remember where I read it so maybe not.

This episode definitely does have a new map, they just haven't said much about it or shown it in the trailer like they normally do.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72842/what-s-next-for-guild-wars-2#latest

So, what does this mean for Guild Wars 2?

We are taking the opportunity now to reorganize ourselves into four fully staffed content teams with additional teams dedicated to supporting the core game like Skills and Balance, Rewards, WvW, and sPvP.

Content teams will have more flexibility to decide what makes sense for a given release—for example, we could focus on expanding the boundaries and content of an existing map if that would provide a better experience than creating a new one. Ultimately, this will mean a relatively steady release of new content that will allow us to continue telling the story of Tyria in exciting new ways.

A few possibilities from what we have seen of the map

1. The area west of Desert Highlands. Could include part of Scavanger causeway. Not sure why they would withold the name as this is a completely new place that we have never gone to in any Guild Wars game.
  2. Alcazia Tangle (between Rata Sum and The Grove). Withholding this one would make sense as it would indicate that the plot will involve the the Sylvari again..
  3. Cantha. Yes, I know this is a long shot, but there are areas in Cantha that would look like this map. For instance, the Jaya Bluffs. They definitely would withhold the name on this one as it would be a major, major spoiler as to where we are not only going for this final episode, but for next season.

It's possible that is has some name that's a spoiler, like "Jahai Bluffs" told us almost exactly where that map would be. More likely, they wanted to do the trailer in this different way and showing off the map didn't fit into that so they decided to leave it a complete mystery. They're testing how people react to it, I think