Suggestion: Legendary Mounts (and aquabreather)

Since we're gonna have legendary runes and sigils, why not go 2 steps further and implement legendary mounts and aquabreather?

Here are my suggestions:

• Raptor ~ can go further than non-legendary raptors. visual effect: 3 baby raptors running alongside its momma
  • Springer ~ can jump higher. visual effect: leaves trails of carrots
  • Skimmer - can float higher. visual effect: emanate bubbles
  • jackal - 4th dodge bar, can teleport us to any wp we want. visual effect: leaves trails of sandcastles
  • beetle - now has a brake and sharp turns. visual effect: leaves trails of acids
  • warclaw - we can fight on it. visual effect: lightning auras
  • skyclaw - it breathes fire and doesn't disappear after dismount for 30 seconds. visual effect: fiery auras

that would be pay to win, while legendaries are just "unqiue" ascended with quality of life on-demand stat swap

your option, would be just bad

fighting on warclaw???i mean lol?

so ranger can now pew pew on a mount from 2000 range and anyone wanting to close (which will be dismounted by the ranger) will now just get kited to death

I wouldn't mind certain legendary mount skins that require mats beyond what legendary weapons already require to obtain. I also would love to see special mount skins for players who place on the top 250 leaderboard and in the Monthly Automated Tournaments. But gameplay advantages? Nah.

I'm sorry but those designs aren't in the concept of what "Legendary" is in this particular game. They aren't exactly QoL, they are actual functions that can cause serious imbalance.

Legendary at best is cosmetic, and in terms of QoL, mounts themselves are already a QoL so there's nothing that can be added to mounts aside from improved Mastery skills which wouldn't work as Legendary functions.

@"melandru.3876" said:that would be pay to win, while legendaries are just "unqiue" ascended with quality of life on-demand stat swap

so ranger can now pew pew on a mount from 2000 range and anyone wanting to close (which will be dismounted by the ranger) will now just get kited to death

That would not be pay to win

Your suggestions would improve in quality if you would stop seeing GW2 as your personal single player power fantasy and instead recognize it as the MMO it is. Would it be cool to have a higher tier(i.e.P2W) mount that added some more stuff to it? Sure. Would it keep the game as it is when it comes to P2W/Geargrind? Nope. Would it be cool to fight from your Warclaw, Jump Higher, Dash further? Sure. Would it be good for balance or fun in in WvW? Nope.

More does not automatically mean better. Why stop there, to go down the slippery slope? After your suggested legendary mounts, let's go for superultramegaawesomeepic mounts, turning all stats up by 100000% and give every player mounted on such an abomination a skill with instant cast and w/o cooldown that instantly downs all other players/npcs/mobs on your current map. Wouldn't that be super fun because more=better?

@Samnang.1879 said:Since we're gonna have legendary runes and sigils, why not go 2 steps further and implement legendary mounts and aquabreather?

Here are my suggestions:

• Raptor ~ can go further than non-legendary raptors. visual effect: 3 baby raptors running alongside its momma
  • Springer ~ can jump higher. visual effect: leaves trails of carrots
  • Skimmer - can float higher. visual effect: emanate bubbles
  • jackal - 4th dodge bar, can teleport us to any wp we want. visual effect: leaves trails of sandcastles
  • beetle - now has a brake and sharp turns. visual effect: leaves trails of acids
  • warclaw - we can fight on it. visual effect: lightning auras
  • skyclaw - it breathes fire and doesn't disappear after dismount for 30 seconds. visual effect: fiery auras

I feel as if little of what you suggested is possible (in terms of functions). Perhaps with a later expansion (if they ever make one) they could implement legendary mounts and new masteries that pertain to those specific mounts. I'd like that idea more.. maybe not even of the current mounts, but new ones with entirely new skill sets. Perhaps one that can actually do more than function just as a mount.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"melandru.3876" said:that would be pay to win, while legendaries are just "unqiue" ascended with quality of life on-demand stat swap

That would
not
be pay to win

that would be exactly pay to win

a legendary has same stats as an ascended both weapon and armor with an added qol(stat swap) that ascended is also capable off in a mystic forgehis legendary mounts would have gameplay advantages (read: improvements)

as i allready explained on his warclaw suggestion.

hiding effects behind a paywall (both real money and in game money) to give advantages over others, is whay pay to win stands for

@melandru.3876 said:

@melandru.3876 said:that would be pay to win, while legendaries are just "unqiue" ascended with quality of life on-demand stat swap

That would
not
be pay to win

a legendary has same stats as an ascended both weapon and armor with an added qol(stat swap) that ascended is also capable off in a mystic forgehis legendary mounts would have gameplay advantages (read: improvements)

hiding effects behind a paywall (both real money and in game money) to give advantages over others, is whay pay to win stands for

The OP never stated that this would be available through the gemstone. You’re misrepresenting what pay to win actually is in order to back up your dislike for this. A better argument against it would be that this would never happen due to how existing mount abilities have been acquired.

By your twisted definition of it, all expansions would be pay to win has those that pay for them get advantages over those that don’t. Anything that can be bought in the game such as ascended gear is pay to win since someone can just buy the gold with money to fund the crafting and materials.

Something that is available by playing the game is not pay to win.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@melandru.3876 said:that would be pay to win, while legendaries are just "unqiue" ascended with quality of life on-demand stat swap

That would
not
be pay to win

The OP never stated that this would be available through the gemstone. You’re misrepresenting what pay to win actually is in order to back up your dislike for this.

By your twisted definition of it, all expansions would be pay to win has those that pay for them get advantages over those that don’t. Anything that can be bought in the game such as ascended gear is pay to win since someone can just buy the gold with money to fund the crafting and materials.

OP never stated that it would not be obtainable through the gemstore by using your logic. or is only you allowed to bring this up as a point?

and interesting that you bring up expansions!have you been in wvw after warclaw mounts? tell me those that don't have expansions (and no mounts) they do not last very long, or did you miss the dozens of threads on this very subject?"in some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or ===>> downloadable content <<=== may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free" straight from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play lol" For example, games—such as Dota 2 and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty— ===>> only allow the purchase of cosmetic items <<=== , meaning that a "free-to-play player" will be on the same level as a player who has spent money on the game."

so lets now add a mount where you can sit on, and fight on. so that free to play account has now to eat soulbeast bursts from 1800 range ONTOP of a mount,

in the odd case that said free to play account has decent mobility, and managed to close the 1800 range distance while ranger just sits there, he can dodge three times and make again distance

ffs that i even had to explain this....

@"melandru.3876" said:that would be pay to win, while legendaries are just "unqiue" ascended with quality of life on-demand stat swapI agree completely, that would definitely be pay to win.

Legendary equipment is not any more powerful than non legendary. It wouldn't make sense if legendary mounts were more powerful than non legendary ones.

@melandru.3876 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

The OP never stated that this would be available through the gemstone. You’re misrepresenting what pay to win actually is in order to back up your dislike for this.

OP never stated that it would not be obtainable through the gemstore by using your logic. or is only you allowed to bring this up as a point?

and interesting that you bring up expansions!have you been in wvw after warclaw mounts? tell me those that don't have expansions (and no mounts) they do not last very long, or did you miss the dozens of threads on this very subject?"in some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or ===>> downloadable content <<=== may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free" straight from the wiki
lol" For example, games—such as Dota 2 and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty— ===>> only allow the purchase of cosmetic items <<=== , meaning that a "free-to-play player" will be on the same level as a player who has spent money on the game."

so lets now add a mount where you can sit on, and fight on. so that free to play account has now to eat soulbeast bursts from 1800 range ONTOP of a mount,

in the odd case that said free to play account has decent mobility, and managed to close the 1800 range distance while ranger just sits there, he can dodge three times and make again distance

kitten that i even had to explain this....

Then you're making an assumption by stating it would be pay to win. The OP gave legendary weapons and runes/sigils as an example which are obtainable without the gemstore. Well we technically don't know about runes/sigils but it's fairly safe to say those will be obtainable within game.

It is not pay to win if the primary means to obtain something is from playing the game.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

and interesting that you bring up expansions!have you been in wvw after warclaw mounts? tell me those that don't have expansions (and no mounts) they do not last very long, or did you miss the dozens of threads on this very subject?"in some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or ===>> downloadable content <<=== may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free" straight from the wiki
lol" For example, games—such as Dota 2 and StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty— ===>> only allow the purchase of cosmetic items <<=== , meaning that a "free-to-play player" will be on the same level as a player who has spent money on the game."

Then you're making an assumption by stating it would be pay to win. The OP gave legendary weapons and runes/sigils as an example which are obtainable without the gemstore. Well we technically don't know about runes/sigils but it's fairly safe to say those will be obtainable within game.

It is not pay to win if the primary means to obtain something is from playing the game.

so will you ignore the expansion part complelty? you did bring it up afterall

expansions (that you brought up) have been pay to win since the warclaw mount came to wvw

an easy solution would be: a warclaw mount rental service (they did have one for mount race events in pve afterall) that you paid for using in-game currencies, or a 2-week contract or whatever

untill any of those above methods (or something simmular) is not included, expansions will remain pay to win

@melandru.3876 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

Expansions are not pay to win. They're a common feature in all MMO's and it's generally expected all players will purchase them over the course of a game's lifespan (or while they're still playing the game). GW2 was also not free to play until the end of August 2015 which was only months before HoT was due to release.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

Expansions are not pay to win. They're a common feature in all MMO's and it's generally expected all players will purchase them over the course of a game's lifespan (or while they're still playing the game). GW2 was also not free to play until the end of August 2015 which was only months before HoT was due to release.

"in some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or ===>> downloadable content <<=== may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free" straight from the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-play

an expansion is not downloadable content? i'm pretty sure an expanion expands the game, through downloadable content.in a perfect game, with perfect balance te 9 core proffessions, the 9 hot elite specs and the 9 pof elitei specs would all be balanced properly

i'm not even talking about specs, or elite specs. i don't need to to proof my point

since the warclaw came to wvw (for those who have pof) the free to play player (which, is still a rather large % of the playerbase unlike you try to make it sound like) are now miles behind in terms of usefullness. they get picked appart by literally anything.

trying to follow a zerg/squad? nop you'll be to late for every cap (camp, tower, sentry, ..)trying to run back to your zerg? goodluck dealing with the roamers, and gankers who are on their mount

for your info, i own both expansions i have zero issues with any of the above, but that doesn't mean that the issues are still there.you would know, if you played wvw

@melandru.3876 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

"in some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or ===>> downloadable content <<=== may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free" straight from the wiki

an expansion is not downloadable content? i'm pretty sure an expanion expands the game, through downloadable content.in a perfect game, with perfect balance te 9 core proffessions, the 9 hot elite specs and the 9 pof elitei specs would all be balanced properly

i'm not even talking about specs, or elite specs. i don't need to to proof my point

since the warclaw came to wvw (for those who have pof) the free to play player (which, is still a rather large % of the playerbase unlike you try to make it sound like) are now miles behind in terms of usefullness. they get picked appart by literally anything.

trying to follow a zerg/squad? nop you'll be to late for every cap (camp, tower, sentry, ..)trying to run back to your zerg? goodluck dealing with the roamers, and gankers who are on their mount

for your info, i own both expansions i have zero issues with any of the above, but that doesn't mean that the issues are still there.you would know, if you played wvw

You can repeat that wiki excerpt all that you want, it still won't make expansions P2W. If you're really going to make the argument that expansion are P2W then well every MMO has expansions so maybe those that have issues are playing the wrong genre. The game was also buy to play well before free to play was a thing so those that already owned the game had advantages since free to play comes with restrictions.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

"in some games, players who are willing to pay for special items or ===>> downloadable content <<=== may be able to gain an advantage over those playing for free" straight from the wiki

You can repeat that wiki excerpt all that you want, it still won't make expansions P2W. If you're really going to make the argument that expansion are P2W then well every MMO has expansions so maybe those that have issues are playing the wrong genre. The game was also buy to play well before free to play was a thing so those that already owned the game had advantages since free to play comes with restrictions.

other mmo's don't have the mount locked behind a dlc thowow first mount at lvl 40 second mount at lvl 60

your analogy would be correct if wow mounts came with the burning crusade(like flying mounts did), and not base game....

@melandru.3876 said:

That would
not
be pay to win

other mmo's don't have the mount locked behind a dlc thowow first mount at lvl 40 second mount at lvl 60

your analogy would be correct if wow mounts came with the burning crusade(like flying mounts did), and not base game....

Yeah but they have other things that you'd consider P2W simply because they're only available to those who have the expansion.I never made an analogy but ok...

EDIT: I'll add onto this post as I don't really want to bump the thread.

How is adding legendary mounts (I assume the OP is referring to abilities) any different from the two added abilities or two mounts from LS4? I guess three if you count the WvW one. It just seems like you're complaining about something that has been happening repeatedly (and quite often) based on your definition of 'P2W'.