How OOC (Out of combat) works?

whoknocks.4935

Just wondering at what range OOC effectively procs.

And I wonder why, when I am ganked and chased by multiple enemies and without being attacked by them or receiving any damage, they always get OOC before me and so they are able to trashmount and get me.

OOC shouldn't proc at the same time for me as well for the chasers?

nerftrashmounts

For example:You are trying to cap a camp and a triplet of roamers enters. You skillfully notice and start to exit, stage right, before they get the jump on you. The thief dismounts and SB5-steps to you, and tags you, while the necro holds back to get OOC as you run away. The chrono drops a port, blinks up quickly and tags you, which helps the necro reach you on mount, while the thief can hold back getting OOC.

Leap frog for them, constant in-combat for you.

Alternative scenario - burst the thief as he tp in and go straight for them.

Worst case that could happen, you die and get back to the fight much faster than a futile attempt to escape 1v3 against enemies making an obvious coordinated attempt to keep you in combat.

@whoknocks.4935 said:Just wondering at what range OOC effectively procs.

And I wonder why, when I am ganked and chased by multiple enemies and without being attacked by them or receiving any damage, they always get OOC before me and so they are able to trashmount and get me.

This is the basic method now for mount mentality combat usage (hereby known as mmcu) - get one person to keep the single enemy in combat whilst the others ooc and pursue on mount, rinse & repeat until the guy is dead and insta stomp. As unfair as this seems, believe it or not there are people that want to defend it.

@Dawdler.8521 said:Alternative scenario - burst the thief as he tp in and go straight for them.

Worst case that could happen, you die and get back to the fight much faster than a futile attempt to escape 1v3 against enemies making an obvious coordinated attempt to keep you in combat.

Running away is fun too tho. It's kind of one of those pick your pleasure type things . . .

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@whoknocks.4935 said:Just wondering at what range OOC effectively procs.

This is the basic method now for mount mentality combat usage (hereby known as mmcu) - get one person to keep the single enemy in combat whilst the others ooc and pursue on mount, rinse & repeat until the guy is dead and insta stomp. As unfair as this seems, believe it or not there are people that want to defend it.

I know I for one long for that bygone era when the scales of justice in 1vX combat were fairly and honorably tilted in favor of the dude trying to run away . . .

if you have a condition on you while your opponent breaks combat distance, they can get ooc while you remain in it if they close the gap before your condition runs out.

people running single opponents down in a group of mounts will happen even more once we get the dismount skill many of the 1 vs X guys are asking for, so they then have an even harder time escaping. the next step after that is obviously cooldown on mount usage increased to 10-15s and allowing in combat mount usage!

Sending the teef (or revenant) in to slow down the target that the rest of the gank squad can follow is a common strategy since the game exists. This has nothing to do with mounts.

The dismount skill has to be dodgeable and needs a long cooldown (maybe as long as the regeneration of the full endurance bar (3 dodges) of the mount so that you need at least 4 players for a guaranteed coordinated dismount). I guess ANet is aware of potential problems and still adjusting the balance. Otherwise they would not hold back the skill this long.

@MUDse.7623 said:if you have a condition on you while your opponent breaks combat distance, they can get ooc while you remain in it if they close the gap before your condition runs out.

people running single opponents down in a group of mounts will happen even more once we get the dismount skill many of the 1 vs X guys are asking for, so they then have an even harder time escaping. the next step after that is obviously cooldown on mount usage increased to 10-15s and allowing in combat mount usage!

It's almost like these people have no game development or game theory backgrounds, and don't understand how things interact.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:if you have a condition on you while your opponent breaks combat distance, they can get ooc while you remain in it if they close the gap before your condition runs out.

It's almost like these people have no game development or game theory backgrounds, and don't understand how things interact.

So many times I have zero condis on me, receiving zero damage whatsoever and the chasers-gankers are all able to trashmount and get me while I'm still in combat tho.

@whoknocks.4935 said:

So many times I have zero condis on me, receiving zero damage whatsoever and the chasers-gankers are all able to trashmount and get me while I'm still in combat tho.

If you're in a certain range from the last enemy that hitted you, you wont get ooc, im not sure at what range you get ooc, but from my experience it would be around 1400

@spectrito.8513 said:

If you're in a certain range from the last enemy that hitted you, you wont get ooc, im not sure at what range you get ooc, but from my experience it would be around 1400

not just last enemy.if you are hit by 5 players, then you wont get ooc until you are out of the range of all of them at once. while each can be out of the range individually.

The way I've experienced OOC to work is by:

• First checking how long it's been since you've been tagged by physical damage or conditions. I think this time is around 3 seconds of not taking damage (after you finish a fight until OOC kicks in).
  • Second do a range radius check to see if the source of said damage is within range (skips if they are dead, other enemies who haven't tagged you don't count). This includes everyone who has tagged you since you entered combat.
  • Third if the range check is successful it adds a security delay of either 2 or 3 seconds just to give an opponent time to chase before finally freeing you. Note that if range check turns out positive or isn't needed, this step is skipped aswell.

As per your range question, I'd wager it's around 1500 or so since just teleporting out of a fight still apply stage 3 delay meaning it takes longer for you to get out of combat than if you killed the enemy. I also remember on my thief using 1200 range shadowstep out of a blob and then bouncing around 2 vaults would allow me instant OOC, the shadowstep alone would trigger the delay every time.

There are 2 factors, damage and distance.

If you get a certain distance from an enemy you've been in combat with, you lost combat with them. Simple.If you're still taking damage (from a DoT) and you get to that range, you don't lose combat with them.

That's why thieves will put DoTs on you, teleport away with their shortbow, get "out of combat" and heal then come back with full health while you've been unable to because you were suffering DoTs and therefore still "in combat".

My god, people here have no idea how out of combat works. the fact that nobody has mentioned the most breaking bug of all is shocking.Here is the most breaking out of combat bug or exploit and how to reproduce it with warclaw.

1.- Apply conditions on your enemy2.- Your enemy runs away with conditions3.- He reaches 1200+ units and disengages from battle4.- (according to stupid game code) if your enemy still has conditions, he will remain in battle, but if you don'thave any conditions, then you can remount and chase him.5.- If your enemy does not clear the conditions on time and you catch up with him. HE WILL REMAIN IN COMBAT but you will regenerate health because the game thinks you are out of combat. Your enemy is not so lucky, he is now low on health and is facing an enemy on mount and with full health.

The fact that nobody has pointed this out just goes to show you plebs don't play GW2.This is why I am a firm believer that warclaw NEEDS TO GO! The mount has no place in WvW.

@Hitman.5829 said:Here is the most breaking out of combat bug or exploit and how to reproduce it with warclaw.That is neither a bug nor an exploit.

Or put it another way: is it your contention that the person with conditions should have all their conditions cleansed because they were able to get 1500 units away from the player/NPC that applied them?

By the way: that still wouldn't have helped the OP. They were attacked by multiple foes, who were either clever or lucky enough to ensure one remained engaged with the OP.

The fact that nobody has pointed this out just goes to show you plebs don't play GW2.Several people explained the mechanics clearly. I'll leave it to others to remark on whether that goes to show anything or not.

Certain mechanics havn't evolved to the increased pace of the game .Combat speed needs to go in WvW and PvP .Seriously,Who would tip-toe and sneak around while being shot at. I believe that would fix the problem of being ganked also if you had a better chance of escape instead of a surprise slow penalty upon being attacked while the attacker is already set up for speed .Basically it would eliminate a surprise disadvantage.Also if mounts are to continue in WvW then it has to be on an even footing between attacker and defender.One speed for all mounts regardless which zone they may be in.

This is interesting, because for me the appearance is always the other way around: I've been fighting a ganker somewhat successfully, then they suddenly disengage with some teleport skills or other movement skill, I chase after, and obviously they always mount up before I can, and naturally get away.You see, the system goes both ways.

Bottom line: It's not a perfect system, but I guess it kinda works. It's not the thing about WvW that needs work, IMHO.

I can say from experience that for assuming you have no conditions, and are scaling this based off of the closest target that is keeping you in combat, then the minimum threshold is around 1900-2200 units from the enemy. If you are just barely outside of ranger's longbow range (1840 units) you can be out of combat, so my best guess is that Anet set this to an even number of 2000 units.

There is clearly some differences in how classes get ooc. I've been chasing enemies who still have ticking conditions I placed on them and watched them just mount up and ride off. Power mesmer has to wait literally forever to get out of combat because compounding power is up, and even if your enemy died 10 seconds ago, if it's on your bar, you can't mount. There are a lot of variances where some classes seem to be able to just mount, regardless of situation, and others have to run because the game seems to single them out.