Mouse Turning the character using only the right-mouse button

In games with similar control styles I can left click with my mouse and freely control the camera (gw2 does that no problem) but I can also right click, move mouse, and turn the character but as far as I can tell gw2 doesn't turn the character to where my mouse is pointing until I initiate movement in some other way like hitting the keyboard, or holding both mouse buttons down to move (not an option in most situations, like when I'm in a jumping puzzle)

I'm far more comfortable mouse turning than keyboard turning. It's faster and more fluid for me as well. Is there a way to turn the character using only the right mouse button and without triggering any other movement?

The only other option you have to turning the camera is using the action camera. This is a feature that was included in the HoT release. What it does is it makes your character use the auto attack on the left click and select items with the right click. Personally, I'm not a fan of it and playing some of the professions with the action camera in game modes like PvP and even high end PvE content is not beneficial.

If you're playing a profession that doesn't require a ton of aiming with ground targeted skills and if you're doing PvE content such as open world or dungeons, then try it out and see if you like it. It's located under the camera section in the control options, just set a bind to it so you can easily toggle it.

I don't think you can turn the character using the right mouse button without moving, but you don't need to.

Firstly it's extremely rare to find a platform so small that you can't afford a single step. I'm trying it right now on top of one of the vertical bamboo poles in Drytop (the smallest platform I could think of) - I can turn using the right mouse button then tap the forward key (or left mouse button, keeping the right one held down) and my character will turn and take a kind of 1/2 step in the direction she's now facing. The animation is quite jerky because it's cutting short the walking animation but she doesn't move far enough to fall, even though she's on a platform smaller than 1 of her feet.

But more importantly there's no need to turn before moving. If you're holding the right mouse button then press the left button or forward key (W, arrow, whatever you've got it bound to) your character will instantly turn and move in the direction the camera is pointing. It works with jumping too.

It sounds strange but you can try it in game - find a spot where you can easily tell how far you've jumped (doesn't have to be exact, but something with start and end points, not just flat ground), line up the jump with your character facing the right way, and watch where they land. Then repeat exactly the same actions with them facing the opposite direction and you'll see they'll land in the same spot. It would be impossible in real life but in GW2 it works.

The action camera won't help with this problem, you'd still have to turn the same way, but I do find it useful in jumping puzzles because it saves having to hold the right mouse button down. I almost never use it in combat because I'm too used to fighting normally, but I use it a lot when I'm jumping.