GW2 active player base

Where do we draw the line? Or where does ANet draw the line? Because I don’t see why the players need to be “drawing the line” on this. As a player all I care is that there are enough people playing and buying to keep the game going forward. If there isn’t, well honestly it’s Anet's job to figure out what is wrong and fix it. Anet can always make a thread and ask for suggestions but figuring out the active player base numbers is their concern, not ours.

@"Krzysztof.5973" said:Regarding " 11 million strong ". Just wondering how many of these have actual value.

Ah, kk. Anet is not likely to share with us the criteria they used, though I agree it would be neat to know . . .

But I'm sure all of those accounts have an actual value to someone . . .

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Who cares? Other than ArenaNet, I mean.If it's any consolation, there are 30,000+ distinct forum posters, and 10,000+ that have posted or logged in after a year.I'm sure every player doesn't post in the forum, so make of that what you will.

As far as forum activity from the playerbase goes, for perspective I'll just say from the 3 guilds I'm in I've only seen 3 other people here that I recognize, and only 1 other is a regular. 2 of those guilds are max sized, and 1 is medium-sized, so that's 4 out of about 1200 people that have posted here.

I'm sure Anet have their own definition, although I expect they're a bit more precise than calling them active players. They probably track things like number of accounts which have logged in during the past 30 days (or however long they consider relevant), peak concurrency (and what time that was) and activity 'hot spots' in the game. But since they're owned by NCSoft and don't have any of their own shareholders they have no need to make that information public, so they never tell us.

And unless they tell us we have no way of knowing, beyond how many people we see in game. Although even for players discussing it I'd say you need to be specific about what you're asking because it will change the answer. If you say an active account is one which logs in most days then I have 2 active accounts. If just logging in, collecting the login reward and closing the game doesn't count then it drops to 1. If you have to do the dailies to be considered active then most days I have no active accounts at all because even though I'm in-game I only do the dailies if they interest me and I don't have other plans. But if you're discussing active players because you want to gauge how easy it is to get a group together for Dragon's Stand (for example) then how many people are doing dailies is irrelevant, and other things like how many people are still making HoT legendaries and therefore need crystalline ore come into play instead.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:And it matters because??All you as a player need to ask yourself is.. when you log do you still have fun and enjoy your time in the game.

Anything else is inconsequential

Because MMOs are all about population, otherwise it would be a non MMO game. Skyrim has 1 player for instance. It's not a MMO. So that doesnt effect that game. Well GW2 is a MMO, having 1 player like skyrim would greatly impact gameplay.

@Danikat.8537 said:I'm sure Anet have their own definition, although I expect they're a bit more precise than calling them active players. They probably track things like number of accounts which have logged in during the past 30 days (or however long they consider relevant), peak concurrency (and what time that was) and activity 'hot spots' in the game. But since they're owned by NCSoft and don't have any of their own shareholders they have no need to make that information public, so they never tell us.

And unless they tell us we have no way of knowing, beyond how many people we see in game. Although even for players discussing it I'd say you need to be specific about what you're asking because it will change the answer. If you say an active account is one which logs in most days then I have 2 active accounts. If just logging in, collecting the login reward and closing the game doesn't count then it drops to 1. If you have to do the dailies to be considered active then most days I have no active accounts at all because even though I'm in-game I only do the dailies if they interest me and I don't have other plans. But if you're discussing active players because you want to gauge how easy it is to get a group together for Dragon's Stand (for example) then how many people are doing dailies is irrelevant, and other things like how many people are still making HoT legendaries and therefore need crystalline ore come into play instead.

I would love to see peak values for players across each gamemode, instance etc. Sadly I shall never receive this gift.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Krzysztof.5973" said:Regarding " 11 million strong ". Just wondering how many of these have actual value.

Wow they stated 11 million? Where they post that?

It was in an

Have link?

Click on info graphic on Justs link or see below

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-path-to-the-desert-in-numbers/

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Who cares? Other than ArenaNet, I mean.If it's any consolation, there are 30,000+ distinct forum posters, and 10,000+ that have posted or logged in after a year.I'm sure every player doesn't post in the forum, so make of that what you will.

@Yannir.4132 said:

As far as forum activity from the playerbase goes, for perspective I'll just say from the 3 guilds I'm in I've only seen 3 other people here that I recognize, and only 1 other is a regular. 2 of those guilds are max sized, and 1 is medium-sized, so that's 4 out of about 1200 people that have posted here.

If there are about 10,000 active forum posters, and 4/1,200 players (or 0.33 of 100 players) is a forum poster then you can do maths and--assuming the numbers you guys gave are accurate--we can estimate there are just over 3 million active GW2 players out of the 11 million total cited by arenanet.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

Wow they stated 11 million? Where they post that?

It was in an

Have link?

Click on the red part of my previous post, the word Infographic.

Thanks. Links like that dont show on my mobile view of the forum