Recharging Teleport to Friend: Misfire design choice?? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Recharging Teleport to Friend: Misfire design choice??

Galeskyring.9617Galeskyring.9617 Member ✭✭
edited May 14, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

As it says on the page

"like a Teleport to Friend token, whisking you across Tyria to a party member’s location—but doesn’t disappear after you use it. Just give its internal reactor an hour to cool down and you’ll be ready to teleport again."

According to the patch notes this item costs 800 gems IE $10, why was this item given such an absolutely monstrous cooldown time?! Surely 15 or 30 minutes is far more reasonable then 1 whole hour......

I cannot honestly ever see myself buying or using this item when the consumable version has 0 cooldown. If this item gets a change to make its cooldown more reasonable it could be a very healthy thing to have but at current it's an over priced waste of time.

<13

Comments

• Tyncale.1629Tyncale.1629 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2019

Yeah, utility like this is always a sure buy from me. I very sparingly used the single-use ones but that is only because I find them very useful and have this weird fear of running out of my stack of 50+ I have. Not anymore with this item so I will definately be using them more freely from now on, for instance to port to an Event comm like Goettel said. Some maps are so confusing, try hooking up with a Comm that is doing a HP run who is already deep down in Tangled Depths ! I am going to love this item. :)

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

Meh ... I have a use for that at most a handful of times a year. A 1 hour cooldown wouldn't make much difference right after I use up these 100+ I have sitting around.

• To quote a friend's idea on this:

"What if it ran on charges that regen every 30 minutes or something and had a cap of like 5?"

Our immediate ideas for the item were both that it would make coordinating guild missions a lot smoother as far as bounties and such go. Considering that our guild is very small and most of the players are either new or super casual, it would make it possible for them to get to bounty locations easily even if they're missing the nearest wp, or if we're doing a guild event like tackling some world bosses or something, they could get there easily. As is, though, it doesn't really meet our needs for things like that.

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

It seems like some added value without devaluing the disposable ones. If I bought one, I'd be more inclined to occasionally use the temporary ones (if I needed one in a hurry and the permanent was on cool down), rather than hoarding them for things like a new open world jumping puzzle that's just way too hard for me to do, but is easier to do for a LW map meta, rather than something like "Hit Trevor 10x in 3.5 seconds while hanging upside down from the ceiling and you've invited a neighbor over to pour hot coffee on you. Excelsior!", which are always 'really' impossible for me to do, compared to a free-ride JP. :)

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• Majic.4801Majic.4801 Member ✭✭✭

An hour does seem a bit much. I think ten minutes is enough to quell zombie-zerging, if that's what they're concerned about.

But if that's the case, then why no cooldown on the existing TTFs?

"Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside. Always follow what is true." -- Sentry-skritt Bordekka
    "I am so much more important than whatever it is you're doing!" -- Explorer Hiffa
    "Harpy love hurts!" -- Shaman Shoba

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Galeskyring.9617 said:
    I cannot honestly ever see myself buying or using this item when the consumable version has 0 cooldown. If this item gets a change to make its cooldown more reasonable it could be a very healthy thing to have but at current it's an over priced waste of time.

Agreed. Won't buy it in this state, either.

• Zaklex.6308Zaklex.6308 Member ✭✭✭✭

I have NEVER used the TP to Friend items...and I have a stack of 250 in storage, all others I get are just trashed so for me this thing would be totally useless as I've never even had a need for the one time use ones. For some people that 1 hours CD on a character isn't anything to worry about, for others it's a non-starter, I'm pretty sure this device is not marketed at everyone, but to enough people to make it worthwhile.

Yes...no...maybe...what do you want, can't you see I'm busy saving the world...AGAIN!

• @Ubi.4136 said:
    It's not meant for you to just "teleport" your way to map completion on a new toon, they sell waypoint unlocks for that. It is a tool to endlessly teleport to a friend to play the destination with them (not map hop every few minutes). I rarely buy anything from the gemstore, but will likely get this for my wife and I. If I need to teleport again shortly after using it, I can use a disposable one. The hour cooldown is reasonable because it is permanent, and doesn't make other things sold/obtained (like the single use ones) obsolete.

Sorry but you've made a short sighted remark.

People can wvw and skip all region based hp challenges due to mass of the item in question. way point to friend is seldom used in it's consumable state due to being an rng drop from black lion chests however it has no cooldown so if it was desired people could expend them on mapping, a permanent item with a reasonable cooldown of 15-30 minutes cannot do that. It does not by pass way point unlocks, it is an item which by it's very name is meant to improve social interaction. Having to wait 60 minutes between uses defuses that very purpose and will result in the same lack of use as those hording the consumable variant as they won't want to use it outside of very exclusive moments due to the huge down time..

Another item of similar concept was pulled off far better years ago. I am of course referring mesmer portals VS the white mantel portal device. The later doesn't invalidate or obstruct mesmers or their portals due to the fact mesmer portal has an average cooldown and is class locked while the portal device has an acceptable 30 minute cooldown and is usable by anyone.

And then there are the more reason boss portals for tyria and maguuma, neither have a cooldown and respectively cost less then this permanent wptf which was 400 gems apiece IE 5 dollars, boasting no cooldowns and a rotating portal destination based on upcoming fights and currently in progress ones.

A social item costing 10 dollars and barred use more then once per hour is a poorly executed product when so many other already existing items have been around doing similar things. Such as the town scrolls, home portal stone, living world scrolls/tombs etc. Were this item to hold anything from a 10,15 or even 30 minute cooldown it would be far more appealing, reasonable and would certainly not make akin items obsolete.

• Worlds.7530Worlds.7530 Member ✭✭

To be fair if cooldown around 10-15 min or stack (can usable three times before cooldown 1 hour).

• VDAC.2137VDAC.2137 Member ✭✭✭

I save my TP to friend primarily for if I should want to take part in an event train crossing maps that I may not have unlocked on that character — I’ve used them in HP trains and bounty hunter trains and I can keep the fun going if I happen to die or get lost or stuck or whatever. The hour cooldown kills this utility.

If this device had something more like 5 minutes cooldown I’d be very tempted... and if I could trade in my single use ones for lion statues I’d be sold! I had to laugh as I got so many of the single use ones from the BLCs I unlocked with the keys from the supply drop. It was like RNG telling me not to buy the rechargeable version, lol.

• Daishi.6027Daishi.6027 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

Yeah this is just anti fun and terrible, I will absolutely not be buying it even if I ran out of what I have. (I barely use the kitten things, saving them for when I really would need it.... which is even more rare.)

I always wanted an unlimited one, but if I can't spam teleports then it's boring.
    If it's to make sure the game doesn't crash or something fine, but anything longer than 5 min is worthless to me, and realistically unless there is a stability concern it should just be 1 min. (or 1min 12 sec on part with portal)

Unlimited no cooldown, and just warping onto or between party members split up and just chilling in maps, or to help them out on a moments notice, or for jokes constantly warping in on their heads was the dream, and I'd be willing to pay up to about 2000 gems for something like that.

• Stalkingwolf.6035Stalkingwolf.6035 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

@Pirindolo.9427 said:
    For all that people that think 1h CD is too long... how often do you use the consumable TtF versions? I believe that I used 4 in 3 years. You seriously complain because it has not a 5 min CD? wth are you planning to do with it, if it ever gets such a reduced CD? Come on folks, TtF is a feature that, exploits aside, you rarely will use ever.

well but you could use it then to teleport around. Grab a guild friend, let him waypoint around and follow him.
    and i think anet dont want that to happen and added a 1h cooldown.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster

@Pirindolo.9427 said:
    For all that people that think 1h CD is too long... how often do you use the consumable TtF versions? I believe that I used 4 in 3 years. You seriously complain because it has not a 5 min CD? wth are you planning to do with it, if it ever gets such a reduced CD? Come on folks, TtF is a feature that, exploits aside, you rarely will use ever.

I used a bunch the other day to take part in a bounty train in PoF. Two of the maps I had almost no WPs unlocked yet so I wouldn’t have been able to join if I wasn’t able to use 5 in less than an hour.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

Could lead the way to a recharging transmutation charge. Say, usable once per day if user has less than 10 charges, gives 10 charges.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Quench.7091Quench.7091 Member ✭✭

I'm okay with the 1 hour cooldown. It's just there to get to friends initially. After you get to your friends, you just link the waypoint in party chat to keep in sync.

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Pirindolo.9427 said:

I used a bunch the other day to take part in a bounty train in PoF. Two of the maps I had almost no WPs unlocked yet so I wouldn’t have been able to join if I wasn’t able to use 5 in less than an hour.

This is a good use for friend teleports, but I do think that it is a small obstacle if you plan on playing a character long enough. Once you got that waypoint you got it forever. I'll probably hold onto my consumable versions on my alts just for this purpose.

@Quench.7091 said:
    I'm okay with the 1 hour cooldown. It's just there to get to friends initially. After you get to your friends, you just link the waypoint in party chat to keep in sync.

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Pirindolo.9427 said:

This is a good use for friend teleports, but I do think that it is a small obstacle if you plan on playing a character long enough. Once you got that waypoint you got it forever. I'll probably hold onto my consumable versions on my alts just for this purpose.

That’s true, but I’m an alt-oholic and so often am playing a character without all WPs in these zones to unlock elite specs and if there’s a fun meta or train that starts while I’m there, so much the better! :)

I’m not sure what the reason is behind the one hour cooldown. To make the single use TPs still relevant? That hasn’t seemed to be a concern with other permanent unlocks, but maybe those are all RNG drops. Maybe because no or short cooldown would lessen the value of the world boss and HoT meta portals?

• Taelac.7036Taelac.7036 Member ✭✭✭

Given the way I use the single-use item, I think 800 gems for an infinite item with an hour cool-down is a great deal. I'll definitely pick this up at some point when it's a better match for my pay cycle.

Good luck, have fun.

• Quench.7091Quench.7091 Member ✭✭

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Quench.7091 said:

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Pirindolo.9427 said:

That’s true, but I’m an alt-oholic and so often am playing a character without all WPs in these zones to unlock elite specs and if there’s a fun meta or train that starts while I’m there, so much the better! :)

I’m not sure what the reason is behind the one hour cooldown. To make the single use TPs still relevant? That hasn’t seemed to be a concern with other permanent unlocks, but maybe those are all RNG drops. Maybe because no or short cooldown would lessen the value of the world boss and HoT meta portals?

Consumable status as well as cooldowns make players think twice about using an item. An MMORPG that comes to mind would be how WoW used to keep teleport cooldowns high and teleports scarce to make the distance between regions feel impactful. GW2 though doesn't have that reasoning to back it, but what they do have is respawning at a waypoint with full health. Perhaps the idea is to keep players from using teleport to friends just like Revive Orbs?

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

This seems like it would only be of use the first couple of years, especially to altoholics.

The first few years of birthday rewards do not have them at all and they are not on the TP. Then when your first characters hit their (3rd?) birthday they start dropping so you are pretty miserly about them. Eventually more and more characters hit that age and you are getting more than you know what to do with

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

@Quench.7091 said:

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Quench.7091 said:

@VDAC.2137 said:

@Pirindolo.9427 said:

Consumable status as well as cooldowns make players think twice about using an item. An MMORPG that comes to mind would be how WoW used to keep teleport cooldowns high and teleports scarce to make the distance between regions feel impactful. GW2 though doesn't have that reasoning to back it, but what they do have is respawning at a waypoint with full health. Perhaps the idea is to keep players from using teleport to friends just like Revive Orbs?

But I don’t think you can use teleports instances where you could use revive orbs — dungeons or fractals — so I don’t see how that could hurt. The only other place I use revive orbs is if I’ve gotten someplace that was difficult to reach, got downed and am by myself — teleport would be no use there either.

• Adenin.5973Adenin.5973 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

@Galeskyring.9617 said:
    As it says on the page

"like a Teleport to Friend token, whisking you across Tyria to a party member’s location—but doesn’t disappear after you use it. Just give its internal reactor an hour to cool down and you’ll be ready to teleport again."

According to the patch notes this item costs 800 gems IE $10, why was this item given such an absolutely monstrous cooldown time?! Surely 15 or 30 minutes is far more reasonable then 1 whole hour......

It definetely need some sort of CD . But as a compromise use the "ammo" mechanic, where it has 3 charges or whatever with each one being on a seperate1hr cd

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

BTW, why not sell the consumable T2F on the marketplace now?

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• Udolpho.1209Udolpho.1209 Member ✭✭✭

@VDAC.2137 said:
    I save my TP to friend primarily for if I should want to take part in an event train crossing maps that I may not have unlocked on that character — I’ve used them in HP trains and bounty hunter trains and I can keep the fun going if I happen to die or get lost or stuck or whatever. The hour cooldown kills this utility.

@VDAC.2137 said:

@VDAC.2137 said:

Yep, this my main (only?) use for these. Playing on a character who hasn't happened to been to Tangled Depths and there's a daily to do events there, or bounties in a map that character hasn't gotten to... instead of having to play another character, I can join a squad and teleport to them every time they zip around the map. The point isn't to unlock waypoints, it's to be able to participate using the character I happen to enjoy paying atm. I'd probably use 3-4 in under half an hour.

I was interested in purchasing an unlimited version, but that cool down defeats the only reason I'd actually use it.

I have a stack of free ones, so it's not a big deal... I just can't fathom a use for this item as is.

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

i have about 100+ of them, why would i ever have any need for that....

• Josiah.2967Josiah.2967 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

We bought this. Were are two new players. Recently leveled to 80, recently completed the base story in HOT, and we find the 1 hour timer too restrictive. I thinks 30 minutes would be much better, possibly 15 min. This item with the timer is counter-intuitive. Instead of keeping us in the game. We just do something else for the rest of the timer and maybe get back to what we were doing.

• @Goettel.4389 said:
    Just found out the CD is a debuff on your character, so you can use it instantly on another character.
    Maybe not a big deal, but it adds even more value :-)

Well i just found out that debuff doesn't expire when you aren't on that character so until that changes this item has SERIOUS issues that go beyond a probably too long CD

• Gambino.2109Gambino.2109 Member ✭✭✭

@MokahTGS.7850 said:
    Yeah, I won't buy it with a cool down like that. An hour in insane. 5-10 minutes would be plenty to stop any potential "abuse", if that even can be abused.

What abuse? Abuse maybe your friend doing all the hard work LOL

@Gambino.2109 said:

@MokahTGS.7850 said:
    Yeah, I won't buy it with a cool down like that. An hour in insane. 5-10 minutes would be plenty to stop any potential "abuse", if that even can be abused.

What abuse? Abuse maybe your friend doing all the hard work LOL

Lol, I know, right? :lol: I can’t think of how it could be abused... maybe if someone wanted to use the device to troll someone? So long as blocking the person prevents that... I can’t think of anything else. Anyway, I wouldn’t even consider buying this TP unless the CD was 5 minutes at most.

• Altion.9576Altion.9576 Member ✭✭

I like the item, I would buy it if the cooldown were 30 min, 1 hour is too much for 800 gems.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

Who know? once you've used it, you got so busy playing that 1 hour has passed, just wondering why do you need to use it again right after you've teleported to your friend? it isn't like Living World Portal Scroll

• I have it for lore reasons. My 42 disposables are enough for actual use. By the time I need to use the reusable again, the cooldown time is long up.

Pardon me, I'm an Asura nut.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@KazukoHimura.2314 said:
    I have it for lore reasons. My 42 disposables are enough for actual use. By the time I need to use the reusable again, the cooldown time is long up.

Its cooldown is tied to character tho so you can use it on any alts aswell.

• Glider.5792Glider.5792 Member ✭✭✭

People clearly dont know how easily "abusable" this item is, there is a fix coming, but i hope its not for the thing i think it is....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFWMeskOJhk8N-SvOFCJXA
    Fractal speed kills, raids, Black Lion Chest Openings, random.

• @Linken.6345 said:

@KazukoHimura.2314 said:
    I have it for lore reasons. My 42 disposables are enough for actual use. By the time I need to use the reusable again, the cooldown time is long up.

Its cooldown is tied to character tho so you can use it on any alts aswell.

Actually noticed that when I swapped characters to grab an item.

Pardon me, I'm an Asura nut.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.