[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate... — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

CJtheBigBear.9610CJtheBigBear.9610 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 15, 2019 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Okay, I'll preface by saying that I actually really liked this Episode. It's probably my favorite episode of the season. It really felt like a proper ending to not just Season 4, but the official end to Path of Fire with its 3 main antagonists; Balthazar, Joko, and Kralkatorrik finally out of the way. The story, I think was really nice [despite some people's feelings I don't think the "beginning bit" was unwarranted], and the new map, meta, and cinematics were all done beautifully, and I think really shows how far the devs have come since the Personal Story. But...
What's up with the timegating?

With how much hype everything I just mentioned had filled me with, finding out the next 4 collections are separately time-gated was like all that hype just slammed full-stop into a brick wall. I was honestly willing to stay up all night just to get my hands on the skyscale, only to get them slapped away and told to wait for the next daily-reset. While I understand you wanted to implement something to discourage people from blazing through the content you just spent months creating but... being honest? I think the collections do that just fine? I know plenty of people who still haven't gotten the beetle or griffon on account of the many collections for them. I've personally never minded them, and I didn't mind these either. I might understand the timegate if the collections were super easy to do, but just the first collection alone, took me 6 hours of constant play to complete. Now, with almost 1.5k hours on this game, extended periods of play are not abnormal for me. Hell, on the topic of daily resets, I already log in to do dailies pretty much every day, so it's not like this is coercing me into playing more. The reason I disliked that 6 hours so much, is because this is the first time I genuinely felt didn't want to play for that time. 6 hours of running around the same map, going to the same places, picking up the same items, and all the while knowing that if I didn't, I'd just be delaying myself further by passing up another daily reset and still having to do it at a later time. And I really don't like that feeling.

One of the main reasons I love Guild Wars so much, is because I never feel like I have to keep playing. I can sit down, pick a task to do, and do it on my own time. I hated it when other MMOs would hang some kind of superficial play-timer above my head [yes, especially WoW], where if I weren't playing, I was wasting time. And when I feel like I'm playing on a deadline, I stop having fun. I'm luckily not one of them, but also I've seen dozens of people in map chat talking about how they don't have the time to do this, thanks to work or school hours making free-time a very rare commodity for them, which makes the other points even worse. I sincerely doubt the devs had any intention of doing so, but by timegating each of the collections through daily resets, they've done exactly that. Instead of going to sleep, waking up, and continuing on my own time, I'll have to wait until 8pm EST to even start doing the next collection, and all the while, I'll have that superficial timer hanging above me, reminding me that unless I hurry up and do this, I'll have to wait even longer for the next one. Which, due to the nature of how the timegate works, means I'll also be setting back the next 3 collections at the same time. The net result: anger and disappointment.

Now, I'm not going to say that this has ruined the Episode for me, or made me lose faith in the game enough to make me quit. Because that's just not true. I'm not going anywhere, and I still stand by the statement that this is my favorite Episode of Season 4. I hardly ever come to the forums to complain, because I genuinely don't have that many problems with the game. This time though, I really needed to vent this. Above all else just, please, get rid of the time gate. Let people clear this on their own time.

Tagged:
<13456736

Comments

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

It's either this or paying a ton of money for it. This sort of "journey" works well for guild wars in general and to be fair we have to remember that a large majority of people isn't going to get it all done day by day regardless.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• Blocki.4931Blocki.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

When I did the story I found the map really annoying to traverse. Now, around 5 hours later, I don't find it difficult at all anymore. I have rarely used a Skyscale Roost to get somewhere, but I do have to mention that my Griffon felt extremely bad to traverse the map with. Most places were just slightly out of reach and even the masteries didn't help. Did they make it lose altitude faster? Kind of felt like it.

Smugly chuckling forever.
    My sentence doesn't make sense? Well, I probably forgot to write half of it before posting.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

@Blocki.4931 said:
    When I did the story I found the map really annoying to traverse. Now, around 5 hours later, I don't find it difficult at all anymore. I have rarely used a Skyscale Roost to get somewhere, but I do have to mention that my Griffon felt extremely bad to traverse the map with. Most places were just slightly out of reach and even the masteries didn't help. Did they make it lose altitude faster? Kind of felt like it.

I had to be creative with the materies to make it work. This map has actually gotten me to use them more.

My only concern in regards to the time-gate is that by the time you complete the collections, you'll have finished everything else on the map and will not be able to make much use of it. But then, that's how a lot of games are.

• The very first thing I noticed when I hit the new map today was my experience gain towards spirit shards being locked due to the new Skyscale mastery track showing up locked in my masteries.

"Well", I thought, "This is going to be a little unpleasant since I am currently low on spirit shards. I'll have to hurry a little with this story and then put all my time into the mount to enable spirit shards again so that I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the map/achivements of ep 6 at my own speed."

Then a very annoyed guildie breaks the news in guild chat, The Skyscale collections are timegated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against timegated stuff in general. It can be frustrating but also fun to dedicate yourself to the Henge backpack (and Aurora that require the Henge) for example. BUT, in this case, ALL my experience towards spirit shards in EVERY Path of Fire and LS4 map are now timegated as well and everything I do in those maps on any of my characters is wasted experience. This is going to limit any activity in those maps to only absolutely necessary things for me until I get the Skyscale down.

So here is my main point with this little rant: I don't see any drawbacks in this case to gain the mastery track for the Skyscale first AFTER you have completed the timegated collections. Just to make sure that the experience gain/Spirit Shards won't be timegated together with the mount. :/

I expect there will be people with other opinions out there and it would be intresting to hear them and how they reason around it (in a nice and civil way ofc). But in my case it felt a bit like a punishment because I am now locked out of getting something I need while playing the new content (and everything PoF xp related).

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

At least I got to get a taste of if from the loaner version. Not at all impressed enough to even go after it. Oh, FYI, don't gather while on the loaner, you loose it on dismount and have to go back an get another. Game over, man...

Fàther - Create a mount then kill it until it's more useless than PvE. "Smart"
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• Zushada.6108Zushada.6108 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

I agree with the OP. I have no problem putting in the work for a collection; no problem with time gating and the eventual reward of the mount but would like to see my XP at least go towards something related to the mount mastery. It could be as simple as training first mastery in order to unlock the mount. So we would still do all of the collection stuff but we would not be able to access the mount outside of the new map until we had it trained. I spent a boatload of time in Dragon Fall today and while the spirit shards are nice, it is still a huge deterrent for me to not be able to train the first mastery for the mount while I am in the zone completing the collections. Time gating is fine because with all the mounts we already have this is a nice extra that is not required but nice to have.

• Tora.7214Tora.7214 Member ✭✭

there seems to be a rumor though that Dulfy isnt updating anymore, the last time she updated was when the video teaser was released a couple of weeks ago, and since then she hasnt updated anything else not only in his gw2 thread but neither in the other games she covers

• Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2019

Preamble: I'm slow.

Just yesterday, I completed all the Desert/Path of Fire Mastery tracks and unlocked the Spirit Shard 'reward'. Not that I want or need them, but it was a first for me. (Don't have HoT or Core completed.)

And today.....gone. Again. Sigh. I've got the Mastery Points saved up. I've got countless Desert Mastery chests and consumables saved in the bank and on characters. I was looking forward to finally being able to use them, and clear out some space. Oh, well.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don’t care about xp, that comes in endless waves. If I lose some it’s ok. What makes me pissed as hell is that a piece of content as major as a mount is timegated. Not to mention, this was advertised as being released on May 14th. But really, we can’t own it until the 19th. I walked away from the egg collection feeling cheated because I was planning to play all day and into the next to get the mount, not be unceremoniously stopped against my will. I’d rather be working towards other timegated stuff (like crafting and gear) WITH my dragon. And worst of all, we can use it in the new map. So, I know EXACTLY what I’m missing out on and how awesome it is. I vastly prefer shoveling out gold, or even real money that waiting, at least in the case of larger content like mounts. I was planning to buy gems to continue supporting anet and because I was happy with the update. But so great is my displeasure I’ve decided not to buy any. Maybe some dragon skins will change my mind, but it will be a few weeks before I feel better.

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• I did the griffon over a span of 5 days. I haven't beaten the episode yet so I don't know what's all involved to get skyscale. I would prefer it not to be behind time gated events .

• Rukario.1695Rukario.1695 Member ✭✭✭

@Fenom.9457 said:
    I don’t care about xp, that comes in endless waves. If I lose some it’s ok. What makes me pissed as hell is that a piece of content as major as a mount is timegated. Not to mention, this was advertised as being released on May 14th. But really, we can’t own it until the 19th. I walked away from the egg collection feeling cheated because I was planning to play all day and into the next to get the mount, not be unceremoniously stopped against my will. I’d rather be working towards other timegated stuff (like crafting and gear) WITH my dragon. And worst of all, we can use it in the new map. So, I know EXACTLY what I’m missing out on and how awesome it is. I vastly prefer shoveling out gold, or even real money that waiting, at least in the case of larger content like mounts. I was planning to buy gems to continue supporting anet and because I was happy with the update. But so great is my displeasure I’ve decided not to buy any. Maybe some dragon skins will change my mind, but it will be a few weeks before I feel better.

Current mood.

More violence, less violets I say. I'm rich you know, because I watch the ledges.

• ChronoPinoyX.7923ChronoPinoyX.7923 Member ✭✭✭

@RavenRecoil.6103 said:
    I did the griffon over a span of 5 days. I haven't beaten the episode yet so I don't know what's all involved to get skyscale. I would prefer it not to be behind time gated events .

Best way to put it, we're basically chickens until the 19th

• I have to agree with the sentiment here... though i personally don't mind too much waiting out a few days, this game has been about offering an enjoyable experience for casual players, not a min-max system that's very typical of vertical-progression games and in the end only thwarts and stresses people out; but on top of that we have the Spirit Shards XP bar locked out... this is really bad.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.