[merged] About the Skyscale Timegate...

First of all, I really think all other aspects of ep6 were excellent. However I see no reason at all for time gating the Skyscale collection, and making it so grindy . Today I ran around the map and collected 56 items, in most cases I had to go to the same location 2 or 3 times to interact or collect different items. Only to find out that I will only be able to get the mount on Sunday at best,since I actually finished the first part 10 minutes after daily reset (so today no progression at all for me).

I have to say that the whole thing feels really disappointing, it wouldn't be hard to believe that most people thought that they would end the story with the mount already unlocked. So please Anet, next time you release something that is going to be artificially timegated like this, at least tell us before hand. "You will be able to start unlocking the mount on the 14th and it may take a week to unlock it, maybe less" , that way we don't build up expectations about it. Also for the sake of future players that might try this, cut down on then number of things we have to interact and collect, maybe just enough so we don't have to back to the same area multiple times. If the goal is to make us come back and play the map as it is now you achieve the exact opposite. This entire aspect of the release was a big let down and all the hype about the new mount is actually gone now , at least for me.

• Like 1

@"tekhiun.8653" said:First of all, I really think all other aspects of ep6 were excellent. However I see no reason at all for time gating the Skyscale collection, and making it so grindy . Today I ran around the map and collected 56 items, in most cases I had to go to the same location 2 or 3 times to interact or collect different items. Only to find out that I will only be able to get the mount on Sunday at best,since I actually finished the first part 10 minutes after daily reset (so today no progression at all for me).

I have to say that the whole thing feels really disappointing, it wouldn't be hard to believe that most people thought that they would end the story with the mount already unlocked. So please Anet, next time you release something that is going to be artificially timegated like this, at least tell us before hand. "You will be able to start unlocking the mount on the 14th and it may take a week to unlock it, maybe less" , that way we don't build up expectations about it. Also for the sake of future players that might try this, cut down on then number of things we have to interact and collect, maybe just enough so we don't have to back to the same area multiple times. If the goal is to make us come back and play the map as it is now you achieve the exact opposite. This entire aspect of the release was a big let down and all the hype about the new mount is actually gone now , at least for me.

Yeah, I got excited when I finished the eggs and then realized I had 4 more daily resets worth of collections to do, which might be more exhausting than these. I can understand making a lot of collections, but this is overly excessive, and locking them behind daily resets? Aside from this it seems pretty good so far.

@Trise.2865 said:How many times do we have to tell people not to blast through content in 10 minutes? to take their time and enjoy it? They never learn...

I would be enjoying the content if I had the mount that I was told was going to be out today. Some people have more fun doing things at their own pace instead of having to deal with a gimmick to actually takes away the enjoyment of the map, i.e. going around pressing F and even going to the same place several times.

• Like 1

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

@"tekhiun.8653" said:First of all, I really think all other aspects of ep6 were excellent. However I see no reason at all for time gating the Skyscale collection, and making it so grindy . Today I ran around the map and collected 56 items, in most cases I had to go to the same location 2 or 3 times to interact or collect different items. Only to find out that I will only be able to get the mount on Sunday at best,since I actually finished the first part 10 minutes after daily reset (so today no progression at all for me).

Yeah, I got excited when I finished the eggs and then realized I had 4 more daily resets worth of collections to do, which might be more exhausting than these. I can understand making a lot of collections, but this is overly excessive, and locking them behind daily resets? Aside from this it seems pretty good so far.

Everything seems pretty good yeah, I am satisfied with all other things, the meta is fun and engaging , the map design is incredible, probably the best one we had so far. But regarding how we unlock the mount, they just dropped the ball there imo. I think that is unlikely to change now that it is out, but I hope they don't do this again or at least make it clear when they put this sort of limitation on how we get something they are going to release.

@tekhiun.8653 said:

@Trise.2865 said:How many times do we have to tell people not to blast through content in 10 minutes? to take their time and enjoy it? They never learn...

I would be enjoying the content if I had the mount that I was told was going to be out today. Some people have more fun doing things at their own pace instead of having to deal with a gimmick to actually takes away the enjoyment of the map, i.e. going around pressing F and even going to the same place several times.

And this mount is pretty heavily built around the new mount. It's great that we have rentals, but when so many mobs one shot you and you have to climb just to get to the rentals most of the time, it's pretty frustrating. You also don't have the masteries with the rentals, and you can't even unlock the mastery until you unlock the mount. It would be nice to at least be able to put some of this experience into it to have the masteries later. I don't know. This whole collection design is pretty insane.

The thing about that is anet sells the living world updates on new features and contentStory(in this case) a MountA MapThe legendary weapon(some times) a raid or fractal

The issue is that you when these things were marketed in the past they could all be reasonably accessed within the same day if not 2 days at MOSTSo why is the one of the main winning point of this update hard locked to such a long span of time of which you CANT ENJOY IT.

All anet did here is likely for the majority cause frustration and annoyance

If you want something to require a bit of extra work thats fine but to time gate it through daily resets is not a good idea. Never before has anet done this with amount that was exposed as a new feature (not counting griff here even if i was it could be done in a day, a few hours, provided some one was helping you do it) all of which could be gained in the same day if not 2nd day of its release.

Ive already seen people running around with the new legendary GS because they saved mats for it etc. Why is that allowed as a thing yet (its also a main feature of the new update) players cant work for the new mount to get it on day of or 2nd, 3rd, 4th day after its release. Sorry but this was bad decision making at its finest this time.

I think its a big shock because anet has never done this before with a mount. In fact they teased us about it several times and i wont be surprised if i have an email promoting it in the next day or two as one of the main features of the living world. I HOPE THEY NEVER EVER do this kind of bamboozle again without obvious warning.

If they wanted people to enjoy they content they should have found other ways to time gate it that still allow you to progress via playing even if it still takes afew days to complete its not a dead stop in progress and allows people who really want it to go hard for it and get it a bit faster than normal means.They could have done that through

• Mount mastery xp itself
  • Rewards from bounties or map metas which can only happy every so often but they are bound to keep happening if people keep playing.

Doing it through daily rest just makes me want to close the game and stop till tomorrow thats not truly enjoying content.

That said the map was done well and the events are nice but this is a big kick between the legs. The mount was one of the main things i was looking forward too getting and that wont be for a few days then after that you still need to xp mastery grind to complete it.

i honestly cant understand whats the hurry, we are used to farming for months for the good stuff (ascended/legendaries, etc) so whats a few days for a mount?. me personally im gonna wait for someone to release a guide (because aparently Dulfy isnt doing guides anymore) before starting to farm it because im not fan of treasure hunting

@tekhiun.8653 said:

Indeed. God forbid we actually get something for finishing the story.

Also nice how you can't unlock the mastery until you get it, well after the story is done, so all that mastery XP you earn during it JUST GOES INTO THE KITTEN ETHER!

@Tora.7214 said:i honestly cant understand whats the hurry, we are used to farming for months for the good stuff (ascended/legendaries, etc) so whats a few days for a mount?. me personally im gonna wait for someone to release a guide (because aparently Dulfy isnt doing guides anymore) before starting to farm it because im not fan of treasure hunting

When even Dulfy is done with this grind, you know we're in trouble.

@Tora.7214 said:i honestly cant understand whats the hurry, we are used to farming for months for the good stuff (ascended/legendaries, etc) so whats a few days for a mount?. me personally im gonna wait for someone to release a guide (because aparently Dulfy isnt doing guides anymore) before starting to farm it because im not fan of treasure hunting

Well ascended and legendary gear are generally marketed as such and the expectation of time gated is rationalized within most players heads. Even if some one did not have per say legendary gear but was working on it the time gate in most cases does not stop their progress 100% to a dead stop as many many things are required to complete a ascended or legendary gear.

The mount as far as we know is not an ascended mount or legendary mount it was not marketed as such and infact was shown to us pretty early on in the story. If any mount should have been this annoying to unlock it should have been the griffion as it was literally a hidden easter egg mount that acts as a super glider. And to some people that was much less work than what this requires simply due to the time out that haults all progress.

Not saying people still wont do it but it certainly not a good feeling to get 2-3 hours into the first part of the collection and realize

• you didnt unlock the base mount
  • you have more collections to do
  • you cant progress those collections till the next day
  • even once you finish the next one you will hit another dead stop

Overall it was just a bad choice of how to gate player progress. I get they dont want people to finish the content too fast because this is the final episode of season 4 and season 5 is likely some time away from being ready but of all things to do this with the mount really....

Sometimes dulfy can take a while to post a guide for new coronet even more so when she wants the guides to be highly detailed and well written and easy to follow that takes time to do. In this case it might take several days to do a full guide and then its the matter of if they want to post it in parts or just one full section if one full section you may not see a guide till next week at the moment the earliest some one can get a full base skyscale is sat.

When I did the story I found the map really annoying to traverse. Now, around 5 hours later, I don't find it difficult at all anymore. I have rarely used a Skyscale Roost to get somewhere, but I do have to mention that my Griffon felt extremely bad to traverse the map with. Most places were just slightly out of reach and even the masteries didn't help. Did they make it lose altitude faster? Kind of felt like it.

@Blocki.4931 said:When I did the story I found the map really annoying to traverse. Now, around 5 hours later, I don't find it difficult at all anymore. I have rarely used a Skyscale Roost to get somewhere, but I do have to mention that my Griffon felt extremely bad to traverse the map with. Most places were just slightly out of reach and even the masteries didn't help. Did they make it lose altitude faster? Kind of felt like it.

I had to be creative with the materies to make it work. This map has actually gotten me to use them more.

My only concern in regards to the time-gate is that by the time you complete the collections, you'll have finished everything else on the map and will not be able to make much use of it. But then, that's how a lot of games are.

The very first thing I noticed when I hit the new map today was my experience gain towards spirit shards being locked due to the new Skyscale mastery track showing up locked in my masteries.

"Well", I thought, "This is going to be a little unpleasant since I am currently low on spirit shards. I'll have to hurry a little with this story and then put all my time into the mount to enable spirit shards again so that I'll be able to enjoy the rest of the map/achivements of ep 6 at my own speed."

Then a very annoyed guildie breaks the news in guild chat, The Skyscale collections are timegated.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against timegated stuff in general. It can be frustrating but also fun to dedicate yourself to the Henge backpack (and Aurora that require the Henge) for example. BUT, in this case, ALL my experience towards spirit shards in EVERY Path of Fire and LS4 map are now timegated as well and everything I do in those maps on any of my characters is wasted experience. This is going to limit any activity in those maps to only absolutely necessary things for me until I get the Skyscale down.

So here is my main point with this little rant: I don't see any drawbacks in this case to gain the mastery track for the Skyscale first AFTER you have completed the timegated collections. Just to make sure that the experience gain/Spirit Shards won't be timegated together with the mount. :/

I expect there will be people with other opinions out there and it would be intresting to hear them and how they reason around it (in a nice and civil way ofc). But in my case it felt a bit like a punishment because I am now locked out of getting something I need while playing the new content (and everything PoF xp related).

@Obtena.7952 said:I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

250 g is not that much for an average player and even if you want to put that as a gating feature there is not a cap on the amount of gold youcan get in single day thus progress toward it is never truly stopped at any time... you are missing the point.

@Obtena.7952 said:I think it's funny someone complains about the time gate ... I guess spending 250G is more to your liking?

I would easily pay 500g as an alternative to waiting 5 days, or not being able to progress an entire day because I finished the collection 10 minutes too late. However, why didn't they gave us the mount during the story ? Or actually told us that we wouldn't be able to get the mount until Saturday due to time gate ? They could let all this boring grind to a mount skin and make getting the mount actual part of the story. That way getting the mount would be something cool to remember and not something that you would rather forget like collecting 61 items just to find out that there is more and you can't progress anymore just because.

This is the kitten worst. I logged in a bit late so I couldn't get everything done before reset, only delaying my acquisition longer.

This kills any amount of hype and good merits leading up to this. I took the day off tomorrow expecting to play with the new toy and my initial investment and hype for the release, but now I learn that not only is my investment for this release being met with a spit in the face, but now I am locked behind anyone who happened to finish it before reset. I don't care if people get it first or whatever but a hard line "complete these objectives before X time" is absurd.

I could have lived with something reasonable like a 3-5 hour time game, pad some of it out, make you wait a little to wet your appetite, but hard locking it to the daily reset is THE kitten WORST design. All A-net did was go: "Hey here is something cool: Comes out 'this' day!. day arives "Lol JK! enjoy blowing your entire week on this. Oh you didn't finish it early enough? Enjoy waiting longer!"

You want to make something last a week a-net maybe make it actual story content.

Yes actually. FARRRR more to my liking.

Everything in the episode was excellent to me. Except this. The highest point of the patch became the most frustrating one. Time gating like this, just creates so many issues. A lot of frustration from players due to how they expected to be unlocked during story, people that like me finished the first part a few minutes after reset and now have to wait a whole day to continue progress, not getting XP for 5 days at least and not to mention the expectation of actually using the mount around other maps that won't be fullfilled for a week or so depending on how grindy the rest of the collection becomes. Legendary and ascended items are expected to take their time, but mounts aren't supposed to be like this, specially due to the mastery lock and that it has never been done so. I am still perplexed at how they could think this was a good idea. Again I really wish we would get this mount just like we got the raptor and leave this collection for something like a mount skin.

It really doesn't make any sense. Hopefully ANET will chime in soon because as of right now, it really left a bad taste. I'm looking for a positive in this but due to how my RL is set up...I mean the only positive yet annoyance is if the rest of the collections aren't like the new born. If so then yea one of the worst ideas I've seen in a videogame.

Could be worse, but the thought of thinking that'd be "fun" or "rewarding"...is umm...well absurd. Shrugs