Merged: Skyscale Collection: The Timegate is FINE

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longer, people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount - people are having fun figuring out the collection together, it's more of an event, etc. Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoever, we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and kitten around in DR/LA. Nice.

THE TIMEGATE IS FINE.

Let't take it one by one:

I'm SICK of people crying in map chat and on forums about a FIVE DAY timegate on the new mount. How impatient and entitled can you be?Well, the design of GW2 was not this. It is something new and unpleasant for many. It seems that you have good nerves and maybe you are well trained on other MMO's. But, maybe in the other MMO's you had other things to do while waiting to advance to the next step on a project. The veteran players had only this episode - already delayed. And what they found? They cannot play it. Because they have to wait. Doing nothing in this time. So, not the entitlement or impatience makes the players to be upset. But the way ANet delivers content. Slowly, rarely and ....

The timegate is going to keep the map populated for longerWell, you completed here my sentence "Slowly, rarely and ...." . Because if the time gate is keeping the players on map that means the quality of the content has nothing to do with this. With other words when the mount collection will be completed nobody will step again in the maps. One use map =)

people are going to be hyped for longer about getting the new mount.

I think you wrongly interpret the reality: people were hyped about the new mount. And by the ANet statement that the mount will be available TODAY (I mean in the release day). Now they are disappointed - by the design and by the "inaccuracy" of the ANet statement.

people are having fun figuring out the collection togetherAre you joking? From what I read on the Forum I can detect everything in the players attitude - excepting fun.

Imagine if we all just got the Skyscale for free at the end of the episode, great, now there's no prestige to it whatsoeverHM? What prestige in getting a mount? Are you serious? PRESTIGE? Think again.

we can all abandon the gorgeous new map, and hover and kitten around in DR/LA.This also explain how good is the new map and the implementation of the mount. If without time gate the future is an empty map, then, after getting the mount, what do you think about the future of this map? And the fact that the players are there is not the merit of the "prestigious" mount, but is caused by the time gate. A cheap, dirty, frustrating method. Anything you want, except fun.

So, if you have a lot of time to spend on the new map, is OK. You decide how to waste it. But other players have a tight schedule. And despite the schedule they decided to spend the free time in the game. This is admirable. I consider a person with 1 hour free time spending it in GW2 to be more dedicated to this game than a person with 24 free hours per day spending 6 in Gw2 and other 10 in other games.

What i dislike about this timegate, if the fact that you can't earn Mastery EXP unless you unlock Skyscale.I already did a map explore, once. Finished story ( oh yes you can't start unlocking Skyscale until you finish 6th episode, therefore Mastery is locked aswell ). During my story play, there was Desert Mastery Scrolls rewards, and they went into nothing. Adding to this, five more days of loorking around Dragonfall, even more EXP wasted. So, really don't like it.

While I think the massive collections themselves are fine, I genuinely don't think the timegate is — with how it's implemented anyways. It borderline forces you to undertake a huge collection in one go instead of allowing you to go at it at your own pace over multiple days (— or for that matter in one go if you got the time and drive to do that). And no, don't put words in my mouth, I ain't saying it literally forces you, but if you don't clear the collection's "stage" before a particular day's reset, you'll have to wait yet another day when you do finish it. That's annoying. If you don't got time due to real life obligations and/or get bored of flying around collecting collectibles for hours upon end, but only have a few things left to grab before it's done, the next time you grab those you're faced with an annoying timegate without anything to do for that particular piece of content, which is almost the entirety of this update. I find it to be absolutely garbage game design.

Timegates are what I consider to be the lazy developers approach to attempt to make things last longer, when in reality all it does is frustrate your players, especially in the way this collection is designed and how massive each part of it is. I'm losing interest already, once I'm done, I'm never going back to this map. Not because the map is bad or unrewarding, but because I am sick of it already. Before even getting the mount, the map is getting tedious, no matter how great of a world design I am finding it to have. The collection is rather massive when you go to do so much before a daily reset. Each step is rather large. It's stupidly timegated so you're pushed to get a huge sequence of the collection done in one go before the daily reset. I am not a fan of this design decision and it's borderline ruined the enjoyment I found in this update initially. I don't want to be "forced" to collect everything in a given collection just so I can have the next part unlock the next day. If I am tired of doing it any given day, I would like to be able to just take a break without feeling as if I am punished with this stupid daily reset requirement. As-is, I don't want to leave it unfinished and be forced to wait yet another day either. It's terrible design. It's almost making me hate this update.

I usually have patience for timegated content. I've made 21 legendaries to date. I weren't bothered by the timegating for the legendary WvW backpack in example. This however is just annoying in how it unlocks the next part only if you have fully completed the previous part at the daily reset. Seriously though, what's the genuine positive result from a timegate such as this? More players in the map? If the map is rewarding, there's going to be players there regardless. Timegating a mount is not a good way to create happy players in a map. All you do is pool together a bunch of frustrated souls who is less likely to promote the positivity this game's community have had since release and are more likely to be negative in the map chat, as the OP of this post mentions is on-going. That's what stupid design decisions such as these gets us. Negativity. In-game and around the web.