PoF Story Fallout: Making the Lore Stronger

Gray.8635

This thread is for any and everyone to post Guild Wars Lore suggestions, or Predictions they think should or will happen.

I am going to start this asking simple questions and adding short/broad thoughts for the sake of discussion to either be elaborated or disagreed upon. Looking forward to hearing others responses and ideas. :)

Why are the human gods disinterested in Tyria?What if the lore took a step into another direction for the human gods introducing another threat unseen only to the human gods? This could also open the door for previous fallen gods who have been in the story like Dhuum to reemerge.

Who has been chosen to replace Balthazar?"The Judge," instance in the story showed us that not only humans are judged once entering the mist, but also Asura's, Norn,s etc. How can the Norn Spirits and Eternal Alchemy tie into this?

Is Kralkatorrik trying to harness godly power?Now that Balthazar is defeated has the Elder dragon Kralkatorrik trying to harness something that is beyond their control furthering the destruction of Tyria?

The gods of Tyria need our help?The Eternal Alchemy, The Six gods, Spirits of the Wild, are in need of Tyria's help with something they can not do alone.

The Pale Tree evolving?The Pale tree evolving into a dragon to replace the former jungle dragon.

How did Palawa Joko backstory?How did Palawa become immortal and how can we put an end to him once and fore all.

I don't know how this will really strenghten the story. I don't get what you really want to acomplish with this thread. A general question thread based upon PoF? Critic on the established and some musing on how it would have been better?

Why are the human gods disinterested in Tyria?Because appearently they can go somwhere else. The human gods are said to come from somwhere else and bringing the humans with them. Now I don't say that is a good reason for their disinterest, but that is what has been given as an explanation.A better reason for why they are absent would simply be: if they intervene, the colleteral damage would be too much and they are doing their best, to keep the balance that has been shifted, allready. There, done. No need to write them off, or introduce some other mystical stuff from otuside, or another threat at this time. I think the writers made clear that right now GW2 is about the Elder Dragons and their purpose, with the rest of the lore filling in the gaps and adding flavour.

Who has been chosen to replace Balthazar?Why The Judge? What makes him special? What makes him different from any other henchmen of the gods? He is a follower of Grenth, so why would he become the new god of war?The other questions about other pantheons are of course another thing and actually a good point. Why did other races appear there and do they watch something more aligned to their believe?

Is Kralkatorrik trying to harness godly power?Not really. Only if Balthazar was able to convert other magics in divine ones, however the nature of these was never be clear. So to simplyfy, there shouldn't be something special about Kralkatorik right now, because Balthazar was scrapping for magics from all sources, but divine, in his striving to regain his former powers.

The gods of Tyria need our help?Everything is kinda in danger right now. All need help. The Eternal Alchemy however doesn't, because it is more or less the rules, on which everything works, so it doesn't work as a living beeing.

The Pale Tree evolving?No real reason why it should. The Pale Tree was nothing more than a sentient minion manufacture, that god purified and instead of Mordrem, produced Sylvari. Even if it got some of the energy, most of it was split towards several others, so it might only got a little power boost. othing indicates that the pale tree would be able to wield that power anyway.

How did Palawa Joko backstory?Most of it can be found in the wiki. How we kill him? Well like any other undead with a vast amount of magical power, however we have to get to him first and wittle him down. Something the people of the past weren't able to.Otherwise, throw another rock on him.

@Jaken.6801 said:

Why are the human gods disinterested in Tyria?Because appearently they can go somwhere else. The human gods are said to come from somwhere else and bringing the humans with them. Now I don't say that is a good reason for their disinterest, but that is what has been given as an explanation.A better reason for why they are absent would simply be: if they intervene, the colleteral damage would be too much and they are doing their best, to keep the balance that has been shifted, allready. There, done. No need to write them off, or introduce some other mystical stuff from otuside, or another threat at this time. I think the writers made clear that right now GW2 is about the Elder Dragons and their purpose, with the rest of the lore filling in the gaps and adding flavour.

As I understood it, the collateral damage pretty much is the reason the gods buggered off. That they then decided to go elsewhere, rather than just chill in the mists, is mostly irrelevant to the situation on the ground, the point is they realized god vs elder dragon would go as bad or worse than god vs god, to the extent they demoted one of their own when he wanted to do it anyway. Kormir fiarly directly tells the player this (though I suppose one could wonder if she was being truthful, but given that she was the god closest to mortals, having been one until relatively recently, she's the most likely to be giving it to us straight.)

To my understanding there is no difference between the power of the gods and that of the elder dragons. Balthazar had no trouble absorbing power from a Bloodstone (effectively captured magic, the kind dragons eat), and from Jormag and Primordus themselves. Kralkatorrik, in turn, consumed the bulk of that power after Balthazar fell.

This mean Kralk doesn't go specifically after this power, rather he just goes after the magic, much like any other elder dragon does. This basic drive which the dragons share is the actual reason for the Exodus. No matter if the gods wanted a conflict or not, the hunger of the dragons would ensure one. Hence the gods did the only thing they could to avoid said conflict - they left Tyria to a place where the dragons couldn't follow.

@Gray.8635 said:This thread is for any and everyone to post Guild Wars Lore suggestions, or Predictions they think should or will happen.

I am going to start this asking simple questions and adding short/broad thoughts for the sake of discussion to either be elaborated or disagreed upon. Looking forward to hearing others responses and ideas. :)

Why are the human gods disinterested in Tyria?What if the lore took a step into another direction for the human gods introducing another threat unseen only to the human gods? This could also open the door for previous fallen gods who have been in the story like Dhuum to reemerge.

Who has been chosen to replace Balthazar?"The Judge," instance in the story showed us that not only humans are judged once entering the mist, but also Asura's, Norn,s etc. How can the Norn Spirits and Eternal Alchemy tie into this?

Is Kralkatorrik trying to harness godly power?Now that Balthazar is defeated has the Elder dragon Kralkatorrik trying to harness something that is beyond their control furthering the destruction of Tyria?

The gods of Tyria need our help?The Eternal Alchemy, The Six gods, Spirits of the Wild, are in need of Tyria's help with something they can not do alone.

The Pale Tree evolving?The Pale tree evolving into a dragon to replace the former jungle dragon.

How did Palawa Joko backstory?How did Palawa become immortal and how can we put an end to him once and fore all.

1. The gods are disinterested in Tyria because they did not create Tyria. Nothing calls them to protect Tyria. Even the "beloved" kids of the gods, the humans does not originally belonged to Tyria. Who knows how many humans are still in the original location? The gods may still have a large number of humans at disposal. The "worry" that by their intervention they can hurt Tyria and the life is hilarious. If the history of Tyria is correct and the Forgotten were brought by the gods in Tyria to watch over the new races, we know the rest. The Forgotten, allied with the Seers, the Dwarves, the Jotun and the Mursaat lost the fight with the Elder Dragons. At this moment only the Jotun survives as barbaric tribes. So, the gods knows very well what will happen without their intervention. And still the choice is to leave.

2. Who will replace Balthazar? Without any intention to be malicious, but I think nobody can answer this question. This depends entirely on the lore team. And as we saw several times, the decision made by this team are sometimes outside of any logic or desire to respect the history of Tyria.

3. Kralkatorrik - I don't think he is able to do this. For countless thousands of years the dragons only absorbed Tyrian magic. The god magic is something new. I don't think the dragons can absorb this magic too. This is only my opinion - this can be invalidated anytime by a lore team decision :#

4. The gods of Tyria don't need our help. They left Tyria and are at safety now. The only endangered in this moment are the living. I don't think the Spirits too need our help - because the awakening cycle of the dragons occurred several times before the time we are now - and the Spirit survived without our help. The Alchemy ? I don't even know if the Alchemy can be labeled as something "alive" or "conscious" or .... if something can even touch it. It seems (to me at least) more like a philosophic concept, rather than something you can touch and destroy.

5. The Pale Tree :) I don't think we will hear to many things from her. Because HoT is a past thing. And (according to the playerbase) the focus on sylvari should stop, in order to let other races to step in the light. So, I think at the end of LS4 the status of the Pale Tree will be: "A little better than in the past, but still weakened" :-))

6. Joko is not immortal. He is an undead. If he is indeed immortal, that means he evolved on a higher place than the gods - we saw that the gods are still mortals - see Balthazar. So, I think we can get rid of him only by destroying him piece by piece. This is a hard and difficult task, because Joko is a kind of Zhaitan 2. If we loose warriors, he can resurrect them and his army will grow. An attrition war is not in our advantage, so we should think to a method to get him very fast. Maybe the lore team will help us :) A commando mission? Or Kralky will swallow him alive? (well .... in the state Joko is now)

@Gray.8635 said:"The Judge," instance in the story showed us that not only humans are judged once entering the mist, but also Asura's, Norn,s etc. How can the Norn Spirits and Eternal Alchemy tie into this?

Both the norn and the asura acknowledge that the gods are something important. To the asura, the gods are 'important cogs in the Eternal Alchemy' - they recognise that they exist and are important, but they prefer to look at the whole picture than focus on specific parts of it, however significant. The norn, on the other hand, prefer to focus their attention on spirits that are closer to themselves and thus are more likely to offer direct help, but still consider the gods to be 'spirits of action' with power over the things they have power over.

You could view human religion as being something of a midpoint between asura and norn religion. Asura beliefs focus on an impersonal everything, that encompasses the entire universe but which will not respond to any form of prayer or worship. Norn religion worships relatively weak beings that regularly intervene in their follower's lives, providing a concrete benefit. Humans have a middle point of worshipping beings that are more powerful and important than the animal spirits, but which are increasingly less likely to directly intervene in the lives of their worshipers.

With all this said, though, ArenaNet did pull off something subtle in the instance - while the Judge is Grenth's delegate, the bird that leads you to your memories is a raven. This fits in with the norn belief that Raven is a guide to the dead in the afterlife. It's subtle, but the instance actually had references to both human and norn religion.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@Gray.8635 said:"The Judge," instance in the story showed us that not only humans are judged once entering the mist, but also Asura's, Norn,s etc. How can the Norn Spirits and Eternal Alchemy tie into this?

Both the norn and the asura acknowledge that the gods are something important. To the asura, the gods are 'important cogs in the Eternal Alchemy' - they recognise that they exist and are important, but they prefer to look at the whole picture than focus on specific parts of it, however significant. The norn, on the other hand, prefer to focus their attention on spirits that are closer to themselves and thus are more likely to offer direct help, but still consider the gods to be 'spirits of action' with power over the things they have power over.

You could view human religion as being something of a midpoint between asura and norn religion. Asura beliefs focus on an impersonal everything, that encompasses the entire universe but which will not respond to any form of prayer or worship. Norn religion worships relatively weak beings that regularly intervene in their follower's lives, providing a concrete benefit. Humans have a middle point of worshipping beings that are more powerful and important than the animal spirits, but which are increasingly less likely to directly intervene in the lives of their worshipers.

With all this said, though, ArenaNet did pull off something subtle in the instance - while the Judge is Grenth's delegate, the bird that leads you to your memories is a raven. This fits in with the norn belief that Raven is a guide to the dead in the afterlife. It's subtle, but the instance actually had references to both human and norn religion.

There is a very non-subtle reference in that instance. While the Raven guides you, there is a couple from the Pact - a Norn woman and a human - that died while fighting Mordremoth. The Norn claims they found love in each other and have decided to stay there for Eternity, rather than her joining Raven and him going towards his "celestials" (not sure if this was the wording, must replay this instance).

Archived