New map/content, and the skyscale

Ok. The new map is amazing. Its so beautifully made, and I love it. The events are pretty fun, and a "dragons stand" type copy seems to have done quite well for itself. Story was okay as well (even though I'm the kind of person to just skip through story, i still got chills during it.

HOWEVER.

I think 99% of people will agree that story aside, the main highlight of this patch/episode was the new mount. And it's INSANE. It's so incredibly difficult to get, and that is ignoring the fact that it is time gated.

During the 10 events per lane collection, I was zipping around the map on my masteried out mounts, tagging every single event and it took me so long.

Today was my day off. I woke up at 12pm my time and played for a non stop 8 hours after cooking some fried dumplings for myself. My girlfriend is asleep all day since she stayed up all night. I literally just spent around 7 hours getting to where I am now (have just finished the egg collection, which in itself was a bit of a pain but oh well).

And i STILL HAVE MORE to do... so much more!!! Holy hell.

I know people that will not or can not do this. For the past week I have been pumping my friends that I introduced to guild wars up for this new mount, saying its gonna be amazing and stuff, and expected them to jump in and get hooked into gw2 again, but this is insane. I'm an experienced player, 251 mastery points (nothing impressive i know), full ascended gear on a few toons, and know how to play my toon but damnnnnnnnnn even events on the map are difficult. Doing it all day, for 8 hours, has only gotten me up to the eggs! I didn't have that much difficulty for the 10 event per lane thing; was pretty lucky there.

MAYBE my gf will go for it, coaxed along by me and helped by me. I've managed to get her into it and she enjoys the game quite a lot. But my other two friends? No way. The mount is INSANE to get. SO hard.

It feels like the skyscale is harder than the griffon to get, is this just me? Why.... for what possible reason is it THIS difficult. I could understand a time gate, but making it so difficult is crazy. Even as an experienced player, I found it difficult and straining. And I did literally stop to take my time and slow down when I felt I was getting too grindy; I loved the map so much, stopped to just take everything in, all the graphics, the fire, the brand storms all that jazz....

Please change this.

Rant over. Feel free to discuss! Time gate is not the focus here, there are plenty of those threads.. just how annoying and difficult the collections is....

It isn't just you.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/bomiqm/skyscale_scales_collection_unlock_thread/u/tgdm has compiled everything you need to do to get to the skyscale. Thing is, it is time gated so we don't know everything besides the two days. It is beyond a joke and idk if it is even worth getting the mount at this point, maybe ANET getting rid of some (or most) of the required stuff for the mount might pull me towards completing it but during the stream when they introduced the mount's capabilities one of them explained why they didn't tell us how to get it. 'Spoilers and stuff' yeah after finding out how to get it I wish I was spoiled with how to get it back so I can prepare myself mentally.

As weknow so far, the abilities are very simular tothat of the griffon. The Griffon was very expensive. If they would have pratically given away the Skyscale, people with Griffon's would pissed off. So it needed to be difficult. To make it different it seems they have chosen the path of time consuming instead of gold consuming.

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:As weknow so far, the abilities are very simular tothat of the griffon. The Griffon was very expensive. If they would have pratically given away the Skyscale, people with Griffon's would pissed off. So it needed to be difficult. To make it different it seems they have chosen the path of time consuming instead of gold consuming.

nah, griffon and the skyscale can both ""fly"" but that's where the similarities end. (they did a live stream showing off the skyscale)

also timegates aren't difficult or challenging, they're annoying

@derd.6413 said:

@"mercury ranique.2170" said:As weknow so far, the abilities are very simular tothat of the griffon. The Griffon was very expensive. If they would have pratically given away the Skyscale, people with Griffon's would pissed off. So it needed to be difficult. To make it different it seems they have chosen the path of time consuming instead of gold consuming.

nah, griffon and the skyscale can both ""fly"" but that's where the similarities end. (they did a live stream showing off the skyscale)

They both are airbourne. Besides, timegates are just as annoying, difficult and challenging as goldsinks as they require you to do the same thing (spent a lot of time in the game)

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:As weknow so far, the abilities are very simular tothat of the griffon. The Griffon was very expensive. If they would have pratically given away the Skyscale, people with Griffon's would pissed off. So it needed to be difficult. To make it different it seems they have chosen the path of time consuming instead of gold consuming.

They both are airbourne.yes? that doesn't make them the same or even similarBesides, timegates are just as annoying, difficult and challenging as goldsinks as they require you to do the same thing (spent a lot of time in the game)i'd argue they're more annoying because with gold sinks you at least can approach it how you want (go for hard grinding or more casually get gold as you go along or just gem to gold) while still making progress while the best approach to a time gate is to turn of the game and go to bed.

@derd.6413 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:As weknow so far, the abilities are very simular tothat of the griffon. The Griffon was very expensive. If they would have pratically given away the Skyscale, people with Griffon's would pissed off. So it needed to be difficult. To make it different it seems they have chosen the path of time consuming instead of gold consuming.

They both are airbourne.yes? that doesn't make them the same or even similarBesides, timegates are just as annoying, difficult and challenging as goldsinks as they require you to do the same thing (spent a lot of time in the game)i'd argue they're more annoying because with gold sinks you at least can approach it how you want (go for hard grinding or more casually get gold as you go along or just gem to gold) while still making progress while the best approach to a time gate is to turn of the game and go to bed.

What is simular or same is subjective and so an opinion. Why question my personal opinion and position yours as "true".As for timegated vs goldsink. I fail to see why a goldsink forces you to turn of the game and go to bed. You are allowed to do as you wish while waiting. It is correct that a goldsink gives somewhat control over the method and speed, but it also forces you to do something that makes you earn gold, while with a timegate, you can do whatever you want to do.

What is simular or same is subjective and so an opinion. Why question my personal opinion and position yours as "true".no it isn'tAs for timegated vs goldsink. I fail to see why a goldsink forces you to turn of the game and go to bed. You are allowed to do as you wish while waiting. It is correct that a goldsink gives somewhat control over the method and speed, but it also forces you to do something that makes you earn gold, while with a timegate, you can do whatever you want to do.

it doesn't force you to go to bed but unless you never sleep you're gonna go to bed in between the timegates. also name me one thing in this game that doesn't make gold besides going AFK in divinity's reach and such

I don't think it's difficult at all. I mean it is difficult in a sense to get the patience to get through the most tedious and boring colections that are stretched over what 10 days or months?

It's difficult to experience any fun or excitement during that progress. The gameplay itself is rather braindead tbh. At least if you use a guide and click over and over and over again through the images, but then again, I don't know many ppl that have the patience to search 100 randomly scattered objects on their own, sow I think most ppl will do it this way.

The one thing that annyos me with the events is that the maps is now 100% requiring you to use mounts, srsly, sometimes you get trapped in places that are obviously made for players to be there, yet you can't get on your mount because you get attacked by some NPC on the cliff above you, a cliff you can't reach from your place, without using a mount, which you cant use unless you get to the cliff and kill the mob....

So you have to walk away far enough to get out of combat but you get constantly attacked out of thin air which keeps you in combat. Just very annoying and frustrating, especially since the game promotes you rushing through the map on your mount to klick on stuff before daily reset.

What is simular or same is subjective and so an opinion. Why question my personal opinion and position yours as "true".As for timegated vs goldsink. I fail to see why a goldsink forces you to turn of the game and go to bed. You are allowed to do as you wish while waiting. It is correct that a goldsink gives somewhat control over the method and speed, but it also forces you to do something that makes you earn gold, while with a timegate, you can do whatever you want to do.

Everything in the game earns you gold. Even just logging in and immediately logging back out will earn you gold.

You cannot make progress towards the timegated mount by doing whatever you want to do.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Everything in the game earns you gold. Even just logging in and immediately logging back out will earn you gold.

You cannot make progress towards the timegated mount by doing whatever you want to do.

Actually you do. Time will always pass, no matter what you do. Although observations seems to vary, science has proven that time is a constant (atleast here on earth). So the progress made is always the same and it gives you the full freedom to pass it in anyway you want. When you want to make gold (specially quickly, to be efficient, as many people in this game like to do), you need to do specific things, you got many options, but it requires you to do things, but time will always pass.

Actually you do. Time will always pass, no matter what you do. Although observations seems to vary, science has proven that time is a constant (atleast here on earth). So the progress made is always the same and it gives you the full freedom to pass it in anyway you want. When you want to make gold (specially quickly, to be efficient, as many people in this game like to do), you need to do specific things, you got many options, but it requires you to do things, but time will always pass.

Log into the game and go to LA and have your character stand around while you participate in map chat for an hour. At the end of that hour you have made zero progress toward completing the time gate. You have to do the specific things that are time gated, not just allow time to pass.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Log into the game and go to LA and have your character stand around while you participate in map chat for an hour. At the end of that hour you have made zero progress toward completing the time gate. You have to do the specific things that are time gated, not just allow time to pass.

The issue with timegated is that you have to wait to do specific things. This can be done in any way you want.

The issue with timegated is that you have to wait to do specific things. This can be done in any way you want.

ppl don't like waiting, they'd rather grind gold for a couple of days then wait for one day because with grinding you're at least working towards your goal (compared to the timegate's doing nothing towards your goal)

Once you get past the apprehension of seeing all the collections spring up like a virus it isn't actually that bad. Once you're past the initial grindy part(which isn't too bad) it goes quickly. I reached the 4 part feeding stage before reset. Once it activated after reset I just sat back and did the collections(which went real fast). You can get the treats of the common mobs anywhere. Only the POF specific ones require you to go to those zones.

Anyway, now the time gates are truly active and I'll just do something else in GW2 and the new zone while I wait.