The Skyscale.. it better be worth it

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@praqtos.9035 said:So far as I heard its taking you 22+ days ... and billion collections. I wont bother with it for sure xD

You forgot the Gold price. If the modest Griffon costs 250 Gold, I expect that the bill for all the fun you had by completing the collections and for ANet care for your health (keeping you away from exhaustion by gating them) to be considerable. Somewhere around 500 Gold. At least. This will be not time gated. You will be able to pay all at once.

the 22 days is ONLY if you dont have any charged quartz already. And both the grow lamp and skyscale food made with it can be sold on tp, if you arent able to craft it yourself. The tp barons is already price gouging.

Thankfully I had more than enough charged quartz already.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Someone was talking about story masteries having to be completed for the collection. Does anyone know if this is true? Because if it is I can probably give up right now...

I started the collection and im a newer player i have lw4 but had not done the previous stories cept the intro to get the raptor. It may be you need all the mount masteries to actually use the thing, i dont know. But you can start this LW anytime and then start the skyscale.

@elrin.4750 said:With all the hassle and unfun things we have to do to get it, I expect this should be the best mount in game.

Well then be prepared to be disappointed. There is not a single area where it excels at, it's just a gimmick and nothing more. People complain about it being to slow but TBH that's ok for what it is (or better supposed to be), it's the limits they put on its ability to fly that really kills it.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Untrue, you dont need all the story masteries. But theres leylines, lava tubes, updrafts and more. You will move around a lot easier if you got them.

I meant achievements, edited it a bit too late. :D Masteries would be no problem, I have all of those. Repeating story chapters over and over till I get a tough achievement is something I do not do and am not planning to start now.

Don't worry based on forum prices the mount will take merely 73.1415926535 years and cost you only 1,234,567,890 gold, 10 silver and 4 copper to get. Plus the deletion of your first toon (sorry for the spoilers there, oops).

Note as with all forum issues, your mileage may vary.

Haven't finished yet so can't state exact numbers or would share.

considering it's going to take most players well over a week to do it, it probably wont really be worth it unless they give it some really FUCKING good skins and let us chose which skin we want instead of giving us like 5 skins and our reward is random. after the hard work for this we all deserve to have starbound skyscale be the first skin released with guarentee that if we buy this skin we will get it, just like the that one griffon skin that looks like a hairless cat

@Tails.9372 said:

@elrin.4750 said:With all the hassle and unfun things we have to do to get it,
I expect this should be the best mount in game

Well then be prepared to be disappointed. There is not a single area where it excels at, it's just a gimmick and nothing more. People complain about it being to slow but TBH that's ok for what it is (or better supposed to be), it's the limits they put on its ability to fly that really kills it.

It excels at long distance climbing and precision flying.

With the air bar recharge mastery, you can climb further than a springer can jump and you don't need a floor to stand on. Skyscale has much greater control over the griffon. The griffon will fly forwards and always down. Skyscale can fly up, down, left, right, back, forward, etc.

@runeblade.7514 said:It excels at long distance climbing

Which is not of significance outside of JPs (which prohibit mount usage). It's often times more efficient to start at a higher part of the map and then use the griffon to get to X like if you want to get above the Modri Caverns in Istan and the springer is more than sufficient for everything else while also not feeling painfully sluggish in the process. The fact that you constantly have to cling to a surface in order to keep going is just an unnecessary pace breaker.

@runeblade.7514 said:and precision flying.

That's what it's supposed to excel at but it doesn't thanks to the limitations they put on this mount for no reason. It's like the turret system they implemented for episode 3. Remember those? Yeah, nobody cared. Great idea with a lot of potential ruined by bad execution.

I just started collecting scales, and bought a few things from a vendor. I've only finished 10 events from one of the 3 areas, so have a bit of work to do there so I can buy more medicine. I'm sure I have a long way to go, but I think I'm going to just pick away at it as best I can a little each day. I was a bit panicked about the whole thing at first, and not having some of my usual guides around, and decided to just slow my whole approach down and nibble away at it.

I'm slightly concerned with missing out on being able to tag along with the locusts, but it'll be what it is in the end. If I end up with something I can't finish because everyone has moved on and you need 50 people, then I'll have to look around for some guilds that pick up running it. There's always a few guilds that pick up running some things like that. I suspect people might be here for a bit, though. Perusing the achievements, there are a few longer term things in there.

I'm actually becoming fonder of the whole concept of the zone with each passing day too. It's a bit like a mash up of Silverwastes, VB and Dragonstand (if I named those correctly, I'm terrible with GW2 names). When I did DS, and needed to do DS, it was a lot of fun, and I came through for the first time maybe 15 months after it was released, and there was 'still' quite a few people doing that successfully. There aren't a lot of zones like it, and ultimately, I think it was a good idea to include it in the mix.

@Tails.9372 said:

@runeblade.7514 said:It excels at long distance climbing

Which is not of significance outside of JPs (which prohibit mount usage). It's often times more efficient to start at a higher part of the map and then use the griffon to get to X like if you want to get above the Modri Caverns in Istan and the springer is more than sufficient for everything else while also not feeling painfully sluggish in the process. The fact that you constantly have to cling to a surface in order to keep going is just an unnecessary pace breaker.

@runeblade.7514 said:and precision flying.

That's what it's supposed to excel at but it doesn't thanks to the limitations they put on this mount for no reason. It's like the turret system they implemented for episode 3. Remember those? Yeah, nobody cared. Great idea with a lot of potential ruined by bad execution.

It excels at precision flying over the griffon. It’s even better when there are UM/VM orbs.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:

It excels at precision flying over the griffon. It’s even better when there are UM/VM orbs.

Like I said it's not really "excelling" with all the limitations. Right now it's just a differentiator but it's not really good at it to the point where it's more of a gimmick than anything else.

I'm disappointed that there is no mastery that either increases the flight bar or slows down it's use to allow for longer flight.And again disappointed that Skyscales much like Griffons are unable to utalize updrafts when they should be able to.

At least once we've unlocked the last mastery we'll be able to exchange endurance to charge flight time while clinging to a wall so theoretically it might be possible to fly forever if endurance regens as it does on normal mounts.Unless that flight bar is used for the jump and depleates instantly afterwards which will kinda suck.

@Teratus.2859 said:I'm disappointed that there is no mastery that either increases the flight bar or slows down it's use to allow for longer flight.And again disappointed that Skyscales much like Griffons are unable to utalize updrafts when they should be able to.

At least once we've unlocked the last mastery we'll be able to exchange endurance to charge flight time while clinging to a wall so theoretically it might be possible to fly forever if endurance regens as it does on normal mounts.Unless that flight bar is used for the jump and depleates instantly afterwards which will kinda suck.

If you glide downward, even at a sight angle, the bar stops depleting.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Like I said it's not really "excelling" with all the limitations.

It is. I’d play around with it some more and especially after you have all of the masteries unlocked.

Nope, even with masteries it's still to limited for it to be called "excelling". Like I said it's a a differentiator but nothing more.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I'm disappointed that there is no mastery that either increases the flight bar or slows down it's use to allow for longer flight.And again disappointed that Skyscales much like Griffons are unable to utalize updrafts when they should be able to.

I know, so long as there is some flight juice in the bar you can hover indefinitely.What I want to know is if while mounted on a Skyscale the endurance bar regenerates like it does on all other mounts.If it does then we can cling to walls, restore our flight bar and jump off the wall, hover a while then climb and repeat allowing us to essentialy gain as much hight as the terrain will allow for and fly for as long as we like more or less wherever we like.

@Teratus.2859 said:

I know, so long as there is some flight juice in the bar you can hover indefinitely.What I want to know is if while mounted on a Skyscale the endurance bar regenerates like it does on all other mounts.If it does then we can cling to walls, restore our flight bar and jump off the wall, hover a while then climb and repeat allowing us to essentialy gain as much hight as the terrain will allow for and fly for as long as we like more or less wherever we like.

It does regenerate slowly as you glide downward but not enough for infinite flight.

What you described with the wall also won’t happen as the mastery only restores a small amount and requires endurance.