Does anyone use dagger in spvp

You could probably make a gimmicky condi build and use it with torch and shortbow in unranked to surprise some folks on occasion. I wouldn't take it into ranked though, as you're most likely going to drag your team down.

I’m assuming you’re talking about main hand? Cause off hand dagger is still alright, adds a nice evade frame, and then it has the 5 I guess.

The main hand though, I’ve tried so hard to do something with, the auto attack chain just feels like it takes too long without quickness, the leap has way too long of a CD recharge (fucking 15s for a 400 range leap?), and the 2 skill doesn’t really do anything of note.

The weapon as a whole is just horribly undertuned, and I can’t see it working well competitively compared to any other weapon choice.

It’s like Anet has the idea of “let’s give rangers a super aggressive dagger weapon.” For the theme, and then just decided 0 defensive skills and only meh damage and 0 cc, and poor mobility was good enough.

Yes, i do. Tried different builds for it in both wvw and pvp. Got into plat 2 season ago or the season before that. I play led 3 versions of it actually. Cele amulet with traps, demolisher amulet with gs d/d using skirmish line - x - soulbeast. And the last one is d/d wanderer with sword/warhorn for a bleef build. I Just returned after a 4 months break so i cannot exactly give you the details of what I was runnin.

But;I enjoy both main hand and offhand dagger and i am quite succesfull with em.Offhand dagger is viable. The dodge is a Quality of life skill imo and i run it on all of my ranger mêlee builds actually. And i Just like to play a dodge machine (i hate thief tho).

Tip for mainhand: if ur merged and use nummer 2 it triggers on your Own attacks so don't spam it but plsplspls time it right. Use bristleback as your pet if u go for the condi route.

I am an advocate of retard builds tbh. Just go for it because this game needs some actual diversity. An ez example is the amount of durability runes in wvw. Or the axe soulbeasts since a couplet of seasons ago (i used axe before the cool kids did, now i dont use it anymore cuz i see too many of em).

Pm me anytime u want. It late here atm and i am typing on my shitty Phone. Cant be kittened to check the grammar

Ive tried Mainhand+Offhand a few times, mostly with Celestial and Axe+Axe and D/D for a somewhat hybrid build. Its not too bad but a bit underwhelming.I just feel like they should merge Leading Swipe and Serpent Stab into one attack in the auto-chain instead of having to complete a sequence of 4 strikes.That and adding a small daze to Double Arc for some Twice as Vicious synergy and it would be a lot better as a mainhand

@Euthymias.7984 said:Ive tried Mainhand+Offhand a few times, mostly with Celestial and Axe+Axe and D/D for a somewhat hybrid build. Its not too bad but a bit underwhelming.I just feel like they should merge Leading Swipe and Serpent Stab into one attack in the auto-chain instead of having to complete a sequence of 4 strikes.That and adding a small daze to Double Arc for some Twice as Vicious synergy and it would be a lot better as a mainhand

Top it off with making the leap less clunky. It has that same stupid 3/4 second activation time as the evade on the sword. Make it 1/2 second. And perhaps buff the distance of the leap.

The off-hand could use the ammo treatment while at it.

One very experienced Ranger has used it to pull off the super stealth Worldly Impact Combo

I have a friend that likes to play a gimmicky sort of build that is framed around Worldly Impact and he uses it in niche ways.It can be good on downs and its fast.

It's not a solid 'Meta' type of weapon choice where everyone can figure out how to make it work.

Speaking of which

Oil

@Engal.6359 said:

@Fyrestorm Rayevnsky.5497 said:As title says, I'm trying to make use of the dagger skill set but it seems clunky as kitten, has anyone had any luck using dagger in pvp?

No. If you enjoy getting farmed, be my guest. But it it sucks and no one plays it.

Meet Vinegar!

@HamBetwing.8397 said:Yes, i do. Tried different builds for it in both wvw and pvp. Got into plat 2 season ago or the season before that. I play led 3 versions of it actually. Cele amulet with traps, demolisher amulet with gs d/d using skirmish line - x - soulbeast. And the last one is d/d wanderer with sword/warhorn for a bleef build. I Just returned after a 4 months break so i cannot exactly give you the details of what I was runnin.

But;I enjoy both main hand and offhand dagger and i am quite succesfull with em.Offhand dagger is viable. The dodge is a Quality of life skill imo and i run it on all of my ranger mêlee builds actually. And i Just like to play a dodge machine (i hate thief tho).

Tip for mainhand: if ur merged and use nummer 2 it triggers on your Own attacks so don't spam it but plsplspls time it right. Use bristleback as your pet if u go for the condi route.

I am an advocate of kitten builds tbh. Just go for it because this game needs some actual diversity. An ez example is the amount of durability runes in wvw. Or the axe soulbeasts since a couplet of seasons ago (i used axe before the cool kids did, now i dont use it anymore cuz i see too many of em).

Pm me anytime u want. It late here atm and i am typing on my kitten Phone. Cant be kittened to check the grammar

I had a d/d a/t Condi build that was in plat 2, it worked before the stance nerf but even then I dont think the build deserved to be that high. I just pushed far and stalled/did 1v1s. Dagger needs some love before its viable imo. It's too slow mobility wise, offers no defense for too little offense (especially for a melee range wep).

@Eurantien.4632 said:I had a d/d a/t Condi build that was in plat 2, it worked before the stance nerf but even then I dont think the build deserved to be that high. I just pushed far and stalled/did 1v1s. Dagger needs some love before its viable imo. It's too slow mobility wise, offers no defense for too little offense (especially for a melee range wep).

Nailed it, I kinda hope they just double down on the offensive side of things, but I feel like that’d have negative effects in PvE or something, so they could at least throw a short short short interrupt style daze on the 2 skill, and an evade on the 3, or hell, just make the 3 skill recharge and leap faster.

• 1 month later...

When you say Dagger, are you talking about the ranger's Sword/Dagger? If you find me in the game, I can show you the implementation. I used to train the rangers in Eotm in Sword/Dagger, and it has to do with the approach to the enemy target. If your using Sword/Dagger, the trick is not to go head to head against the enemy, but move towards the enemies "right" side of the body, your going to be moving to the left of the enemy body, when you activate the Dagger skills. The dagger skills were programmed to make you dodge "Counter-Clockwise" until your facing the enemies back, strangely we can trait to do more damage to the enemies backside arc, but only if we're holding certain weapons. It took several weeks to get the structure down. As your dodging to the enemies back side, you then could harrass the enemy with the sword, or if the enemy was too strong, jumped BACK and away from the enemy to break contact. You just rinse and repeat. Will say the build went to hell after the release of Staff Thief. The dodging became problematic, when the thief quickly re-engaged you, when they did the same thing wish shadowstep, and then kept pulverizing you into the ground with the staff while they perma-dodge. Probably reason why no ranger uses Sword/Dagger anymore.