Spoilers - Aurene

Bast.7253

So now that Aurene has replaced Kralk, what abilities does Aurene have now? As a complete rundown - spheres of influence and all that.

1. Prophetic - but natural to Crystal Dragons anyway.
  2. Mind/telepathy - attributed to Mordremoth.
  3. Death from Zhaitan.
  4. Immortal unless consumed/unbound - Joko. Which honestly seems like it could be applied to any of the elder dragons given their specific weaknesses/connection to the all or whatever as we see with Kralk.

Kralk never seemed to use any of Mordremoth's abilities though. We never saw vine touched branded. And it didn't seem like he really used any mind associated abilities.... Which is strange because he clearly uses Mordremoth's magic in episode 5 as part of his little super Saiyan power up.

Although small, is the fact Aurene's brand creates flowers indicative of Aurene having more of Mordremoth's abilites than just Mind?

Since this is a spoiler thread per the title I'll go ahead and speak freely about it starting now. Fair warning.

Aurene's basically a super Elder Dragon at this point. Even Kralkatorrik couldn't perfectly utilize these magics he acquired from the other elder dragons and Balthazar.

This reinforces the original thought that human god magic/divinity and Tyria's magic are incompatible.

You can "make" it work, but it causes suffering. While Kralkatorrik could power himself up and become stronger with it all, it was actually an agonizing process for him.

I'd figure Balthazar's lingering magic (or divinity, the part that "made" him a god/demi-god; even largely stripped of it he was still a part of that original alien paradigm) was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

It's hinted Kralkatorrik and possibly all the current EDs that aren't Aurene are actually suffering creatures and not just because of our actions in killing the previous EDs. That certainly didn't help, but we didn't know better.

This cycle they do is a result of them becoming insane from magic, a bit like the ley-line madness exhibited by a lot of the bounties (and even the PC a little bit before we got help from the Priory/Consortium).

I'd hesitate to call them "good" guys from our perspective just yet but they might not be intentionally malicious.

We don't know much about the EDs personalities. Kralkatorrik is the only ED we've had a chance to peek into and it was fractured between murder machine torment and a fairly approachable personality that we can assume was the true Kralkatorrik.

I imagine if the Forgotten had gotten to Kralkatorrik before his madness was further along they might have won over an Elder Dragon.

Of course the state they end up in might be due to countless cycles of magic gorging to the point of the world resetting and revolving around this slow release they do.

Aurene is a singular exception in that she can handle all these different magics (even utilize them per Joko; all hail the crystal lich dragon queen) including Balthazars, to no ill-effect.

Knowing what we know now maybe we can "fix" the remaining EDs by easing their pain and reasoning with them. Don't want to end up like the Forgotten that tried that though. They could be too far gone. Maybe we could try it on Primordus or Jormag since they're sleeping?

Absent scions to replace them (let alone the ones we've already killed), we couldn't just go kill them anyway.On an unrelated note: We (The Commander) are officially an Elder Dragon champion. That's pretty awesome.

@"CETheLucid.3964" said:Since this is a spoiler thread per the title I'll go ahead and speak freely about it starting now. Fair warning.

Aurene's basically a super Elder Dragon at this point. Even Kralkatorrik couldn't perfectly utilize these magics he acquired from the other elder dragons and Balthazar.

This reinforces the original thought that human god magic/divinity and Tyria's magic are incompatible.

You can "make" it work, but it causes suffering. While Kralkatorrik could power himself up and become stronger with it all, it was actually an agonizing process for him.

I'd figure Balthazar's lingering magic (or divinity, the part that "made" him a god/demi-god; even largely stripped of it he was still a part of that original alien paradigm) was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

It's hinted Kralkatorrik and possibly all the current EDs that aren't Aurene are actually suffering creatures and not just because of our actions in killing the previous EDs. That certainly didn't help, but we didn't know better.

This cycle they do is a result of them becoming insane from magic, a bit like the ley-line madness exhibited by a lot of the bounties (and even the PC a little bit before we got help from the Priory/Consortium).

I'd hesitate to call them "good" guys from our perspective just yet but they might not be intentionally malicious.

We don't know much about the EDs personalities. Kralkatorrik is the only ED we've had a chance to peek into and it was fractured between murder machine torment and a fairly approachable personality that we can assume was the true Kralkatorrik.

I imagine if the Forgotten had gotten to Kralkatorrik before his madness was further along they might have won over an Elder Dragon.

Of course the state they end up in might be due to countless cycles of magic gorging to the point of the world resetting and revolving around this slow release they do.

Aurene is a singular exception in that she can handle all these different magics (even utilize them per Joko; all hail the crystal lich dragon queen) including Balthazars, to no ill-effect.

Knowing what we know now maybe we can "fix" the remaining EDs by easing their pain and reasoning with them. Don't want to end up like the Forgotten that tried that though. They could be too far gone. Maybe we could try it on Primordus or Jormag since they're sleeping?

Absent scions to replace them (let alone the ones we've already killed), we couldn't just go kill them anyway.On an unrelated note: We (The Commander) are officially an Elder Dragon champion. That's pretty awesome.

Well I was about to post something about that actually.

With us being elder dragon champions, and us having this newfound Skyscale, would we potentially have the ability to empower these dragons ourselves?

I'm trying to think of a way to relate this to an earlier precedent but the only time I feel like we've seen an elder dragon champion having the ability to create new minions so to speak, or empower minions, is the Pale Tree and Sylvari. But could we effectively act as agents to Aurene our own branding process? I guess not, because I can't really think of any solid examples of this already being done. But it would be pretty cool.

It's a fun thought though.

I feel like this episode would have been a perfect time to add a new title showing that we're such. Elder Dragon Champion/Dragon Champion. Something along those lines.

Maybe we'll get a current event later before the next season starts that gives us an opportunity to explore this more.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Kralk never seemed to use any of Mordremoth's abilities though. We never saw vine touched branded. And it didn't seem like he really used any mind associated abilities.... Which is strange because he clearly uses Mordremoth's magic in episode 5 as part of his little super Saiyan power up.

Kralkatorrik did use Mordremoth's mind domain, as we saw in Sandswept Isles. He used it to give shared spatial awareness among his minions. Which is not very noticeable in gameplay.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:Although small, is the fact Aurene's brand creates flowers indicative of Aurene having more of Mordremoth's abilites than just Mind?

Only Caithe got flowers. The rest was just non-spikey crystals. Granted, Caithe is the only living being who was "imbued" with Aurene.

That said, I'm not fully sure Aurene kept the Death and Mind domains. Since her goal is to fulfill Glint's Legacy and rebalance The All with six benevolent Elder Dragons, it wouldn't do to take in Death and Mind on top of Crystal and <Kralk's Second Unstated Domain Here>. For the world to still exist . Balthazar's magic and Joko's immortality... who knows.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

@"CETheLucid.3964" said:Since this is a spoiler thread per the title I'll go ahead and speak freely about it starting now. Fair warning.

Well I was about to post something about that actually.

With us being elder dragon champions, and us having this newfound Skyscale, would we potentially have the ability to empower these dragons ourselves?

I'm trying to think of a way to relate this to an earlier precedent but the only time I feel like we've seen an elder dragon champion having the ability to create new minions so to speak, or empower minions, is the Pale Tree and Sylvari. But could we effectively act as agents to Aurene our own branding process? I guess not, because I can't really think of any solid examples of this already being done. But it would be pretty cool.

It's a fun thought though.

I feel like this episode would have been a perfect time to add a new title showing that we're such. Elder Dragon Champion/Dragon Champion. Something along those lines.

Maybe we'll get a current event later before the next season starts that gives us an opportunity to explore this more.

Well it's canon that dragons are dragons are dragons (even when they're wyverns and drakes). They're all kind of sorta related. You might think an ED is a Kodan to what a Skyscale would be to a Polar Bear.

Can the Polar Bear become a Kodan? According to Kodan thought, yes. Others say they're distant cousins of the Norn. Or rather that Norn come from a rebel offshoot of some Kodans.

Just depends. They do eat magic unlike most species. It's an interesting thought.

@"cptaylor.2670" said:

3. Death from Zhaitan.
  4. Immortal unless consumed/unbound - Joko. Which honestly seems like it could be applied to any of the elder dragons given their specific weaknesses/connection to the all or whatever as we see with Kralk.

She can also tear down the fabric of reality and travel through other dimensions which seems to be an ability she got from absorbing Balthazar's magic.

@Tails.9372 said:

@"cptaylor.2670" said:
  3. Death from Zhaitan.

She can also tear down the fabric of reality and travel through other dimensions which seems to be an ability she got from absorbing Balthazar's magic.

On that note it's also confirmed Aurene not only ate Joko's magic but has full use of it. It would make sense this is why the awakened continue to exist.

In theory that means Aurene can safeguard the current awakened in terms of their undead tier immortality. Should they choose to want to continue their existence as awakened. Aurene should be able to re-awaken fallen awakened or possibly even make new awakened.

I imagine current Vabbian culture would be down with that. As long as the power that subsists Joko exists (Aurene), I imagine it's possible the judges of Vabbi could make awakened indirectly just as they did while Joko was absent in the Domain of The Lost. Aurene isn't Joko though.

So she could just say no more awakened and poof.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:That said, I'm not fully sure Aurene kept the Death and Mind domains. Since her goal is to fulfill Glint's Legacy and rebalance The All with six benevolent Elder Dragons, it wouldn't do to take in Death and Mind on top of Crystal and <Kralk's Second Unstated Domain Here>. For the world to still exist . Balthazar's magic and Joko's immortality... who knows.

That's the long-term plan, but in the short term, it might be better for Aurene to hold onto as much as she can take than to re-release the energy into the environment. The important thing is that she's actually looking to manage magic rather than going through a cycle of overeating and excreting.

Referring back to the OP, though:

We probably can do some analysis on just how much of each magic she has. She's got all of Joko's, and all of Kralkatorrik's, which means she now effectively has all or nearly all of Balthazar's as well. She probably also has absorbed a lot of Mordremoth's, since she had a ley line directed straight at her, but there's a good chance that's still less than half. She probably has relatively little of Zhaitan's magic, since she hadn't hatched yet when he died.

Mind you, the Balthazar aspect is worth considering, since Balthazar absorbed a significant amount from Primordus and Jormag, as well as a good proportion of a Bloodstone. The Bloodstone in particular could be a wild card, giving her a strong dose of magic from one of the four core schools.

What I wonder about is: did Aurene also get their weaknesses... Like Kralkatorrik's was his own blood, then by consuming his weakness, she also got it, or that the magics don't torment her and she control them, she is just free from the dragons' weaknesses.

Also will Aurene also have her specific domain of power like Balance magic and her specific weakness?

What did Kralk exactly mean with "She is the first of her kind.". Does it mean she is free from anything the regular EDs had dealt with?

@"cptaylor.2670" said:So now that Aurene has replaced Kralk, what abilities does Aurene have now? As a complete rundown - spheres of influence and all that.

3. Death from Zhaitan.

Kralk never seemed to use any of Mordremoth's abilities though. We never saw vine touched branded. And it didn't seem like he really used any mind associated abilities.... Which is strange because he clearly uses Mordremoth's magic in episode 5 as part of his little super Saiyan power up.

Although small, is the fact Aurene's brand creates flowers indicative of Aurene having more of Mordremoth's abilites than just Mind?

in episode 2 of season 4 one of the inquest mention that branded show evidence of a mordremoth-type hivemind.

but for your overall question: we don't know, anet specificly was coi about it during the live stream meaning it's future story material. i find it safe to say that aurene isn't gonna become the one true ED so she'll probably loose some of her powers when other ED.2s show up

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The "first of her kind" line was about the magic not being conflicted in her like it is in him. As for weakness, I kind of feel like she always had it (could be used to explain why she couldn't mend herself while pierced by branded spikes, too; as silly as that instance was).

I thought that part of the "first of her kind" was that her acceptance of mortals (that retained free will) was at least part of what sets her apart. The Torment says that she betrays her own kind, and the sane part of Kralkatorrik that she is the first of her kind as a rebuttal to that.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:The "first of her kind" line was about the magic not being conflicted in her like it is in him. As for weakness, I kind of feel like she always had it (could be used to explain why she couldn't mend herself while pierced by branded spikes, too; as silly as that instance was).

I thought that part of the "first of her kind" was that her acceptance of mortals (that retained free will) was at least
part
of what sets her apart. The Torment says that she betrays her own kind, and the sane part of Kralkatorrik that she is the first of her kind as a rebuttal to that.

It's both. Aurene was pure from the moment of birth so she has no corruption of any sort and she's the first out of the Elder Dragons to fully bond with mortals from the moment of their birth. Glint was already corrupted despite cleansing and Vlast never bonded. Aurene was the first to have both a clean slate and a true bond.

Aurene is nothing but "the Messiah" concept which also have power of prophesy. Then you get the typical 12 followers (6 from Dragon's watch, Braham, Zafirah, Gorrik, Logan, Sayida, and Caithe) to complete the apostles. Aurene died and resurrected, just like the Messiah, then ascended to basically godhood state. With that said and following this logic, everyone will live their lives waiting for Aurene's second coming. As an Elder Dragon, she has the power to perform the destruction in "Judgment Day" and to save those she deemed worthy. Justice will be based on her will, not on human standard. Sure these may all be coincidents, but the similarity is undeniable.