Break Bars on Block Skills

Gomes.5643

I think everyone knows the annoying little mantle warriors on the lake doric map ........ with their 5 sec block where you can absolutely do nothing against - no damage, no conditions, no cc .... nothing works. So I would suggest that these kind of block skill are attached with a break bar and end sooner if the break bar is depleted by cc. Therefore the primary goal of those blocks is to mitigate damage and not .... everything.

That also might be an idea for skill 5 of the schield from the warrior or other block skills from the player. Basically make them into "hold" skills where block any damage as long as you hold the button (ofc there is a maximum duration but you get the system right?). If the break bar breaks while the skill is active it goes on a long cooldown, if you realise it before the cooldown goes significally down.

I don't see how this would change anything as most players don't know of the significance of the Defiance Bar, let alone equip and efficiently utilize the appropriate kits. On the other hand, specific professions already have means to bypass the Blocks, therefore giving them a unique advantage over the White Mantle Clerics.

It's very, very difficult to "teach" players anything in an uncontrolled environment. When players are engaged in combat, most do not look further than their cooldowns, let alone observer, consider, and react to enemy mechanics. You'd be better off creating a new, optional tutorial zone to let players do drills.

@Gomes.5643 said:I think everyone knows the annoying little mantle warriors on the lake doric map ........ with their 5 sec block where you can absolutely do nothing against - no damage, no conditions, no cc .... nothing works. So I would suggest that these kind of block skill are attached with a break bar and end sooner if the break bar is depleted by cc. Therefore the primary goal of those blocks is to mitigate damage and not .... everything.

That also might be an idea for skill 5 of the schield from the warrior or other block skills from the player. Basically make them into "hold" skills where block any damage as long as you hold the button (ofc there is a maximum duration but you get the system right?). If the break bar breaks while the skill is active it goes on a long cooldown, if you realise it before the cooldown goes significally down.

Honestly, the real problem with those White Mantle is that even when you interrupt their block, they are still blocking.

When a mob pulls this on me, I just turn to another one or leave the area completely. I refuse to fight this. I don't even see what the point is in a 5 seconds block, they just delay the inevitable. Are they hoping help arrives in those 5 seconds? Would any player use a 5 second shield that basically locks you down in any situation?

I'm already annoyed by all the blocking and evading in PoF, it's almost like fighting karka. It is one of the reasons why I returned to the old maps already, only for my other characters' hero points I visit the desert. I play double pistol power thief mainly, and wasting initiative turns me off. Necromancer Scourge is probably the best option there, I'll try if they block conditions. Also, at events, there is a long delay for mobs before they can be damaged at all. I remember clearly one of my first events there, defending a town from attacks (one of the less creative events). You move from one gate to the other and back, and everybody was learning to wait for the mobs to be almost at the gate, because before that, they are invulnerable. People first wasted their skills, then slowly walked backwards and delayed their attacks. While in Tyria, you can attack event mobs from a long distance, in PoF you have to watch them stepping on your toes before they become vulnerable.

@Faaris.8013 said:People first wasted their skills, then slowly walked backwards and delayed their attacks. While in Tyria, you can attack event mobs from a long distance, in PoF you have to watch them stepping on your toes before they become vulnerable.

Not true. Anet often does this, even in the old maps. One noteable example that comes to mind is the pre-pre even to Modniir when the Centaurs are charging the camp - you cannot damage them until they are exactly at the gates.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Faaris.8013 said:People first wasted their skills, then slowly walked backwards and delayed their attacks. While in Tyria, you can attack event mobs from a long distance, in PoF you have to watch them stepping on your toes before they become vulnerable.

Not true. Anet often does this, even in the old maps. One noteable example that comes to mind is the pre-pre even to Modniir when the Centaurs are charging the camp - you cannot damage them until they are exactly at the gates.

Actually Oglaf it is true it's a known issue in the bug forums. Not only do they take forever before they become vulnerable but they also suddenly deaggro and run back to where they bounced in. Some even just suddenly start standing there in the middle of you fighting them and become invulnerable while not doing anything. A few moments later they are able to be hit again. Imagine that happening with veterans and with champions.

Archived