REWORK LIFESTEAL

Kuulpb.5412

I think Lifesteal in this game is Not at all like it should be, it's currently " + bonus damage effected by power, + healing effected by healing power" , lifesteal should Either Be effected by both or JUST power, and Should A) allow for crits, or B) be reworked to act like Reaper's new souleater, where Lifesteal is healed for X amount of damage done. The changes to warhorn 5 and focus 4 in my opinion are just horrible changes.

While I can't and won't disagree with what was said about focus and warhorn.

The fact is that the current way necromancer's lifesteal effects work favor a tanky gameplay that might have been envisionned before release of the game. To put it simply, a cleric necromancer that focus on life steal is "metrically OP" with high sustain and above average (amongst cleric builds) damage that ignore defense. It's a relic of the past that don't fit the view that modern players have of the game but produce a level of sustain and associated damage that can be qualified as "OP" when all the stars align.

For example, you have to take into account that traited, each well have the potential to heal you for 6k to 7.5k without healing power. Which mean that you can litterally fill your utility bar with pseudo heal skills that also deal a similar amount of damage.

Moreover, if ANet were to allow lifesteal to crit and proc things it would favor DPS builds, which mean that you wouldn't give up offense for defense and this would lead tanky build to be less tanky than offensive build... In other words, a balance mess (even if gw2 isn't a tank-friendly game since it's well known that in this game the best defense remain offense).

The necromancer's defense is all about health points and lifesteal, as it is designed, is part of this original defensive system of the necromancer. ANet showed with the scourge that they aren't willing to change this philosophy of defending through health point, instead they are more than ready to expand on it and share it with other professions.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:While I can't and won't disagree with what was said about focus and warhorn.

The fact is that the current way necromancer's lifesteal effects work favor a tanky gameplay that might have been envisionned before release of the game. To put it simply, a cleric necromancer that focus on life steal is "metrically OP" with high sustain and above average (amongst cleric builds) damage that ignore defense. It's a relic of the past that don't fit the view that modern players have of the game but produce a level of sustain and associated damage that can be qualified as "OP" when all the stars align.

For example, you have to take into account that traited, each well have the potential to heal you for 6k to 7.5k without healing power. Which mean that you can litterally fill your utility bar with pseudo heal skills that also deal a similar amount of damage.

Moreover, if ANet were to allow lifesteal to crit and proc things it would favor DPS builds, which mean that you wouldn't give up offense for defense and this would lead tanky build to be less tanky than offensive build... In other words, a balance mess (even if gw2 isn't a tank-friendly game since it's well known that in this game the best defense remain offense).

The necromancer's defense is all about health points and lifesteal, as it is designed, is part of this original defensive system of the necromancer. ANet showed with the scourge that they aren't willing to change this philosophy of defending through health point, instead they are more than ready to expand on it and share it with other professions.

the main thing about that though is: because 212(base) x 5 targets = 1000 a tick sure, but that's also accounting for what is effectively an "enemy that doesn't have eyes" and if the enemy does more than 1000 per second, which is nothing unusual, then that doesn't help, especially since to heal for that 1k a tick (5k per well) you need 5 enemies, all of which have to do between 0-200 damage to get ANY benefit, otherwise you're just "reducing damage you take" at the end, since you have to stand inside the well and they have to stand inside the well. If you are ina well, 5 enemies and you, you heal for 1000, if each enemy does 1000 a hit, that's 4k you take as opposed to 5k, if you have 4k health left before this, you die, If you have 5k you survive on 1k and won't survive another. Lifesteal as it is now Heals for basically nothing except the most specific of specific circumstances, and IN those specific circumstances you have to be RIGHT in the line of fire to even be healed. Heal from shouts? you need 5 targets, Heal from well? 5 targets, any less and you aren't even being healed enough to warrant using any lifesteal. now that the focus and warhorn reworks gutted the entire thing, focus 4 hitting ONE target heals for basically nothing, warhorn with such a low duration, PBAoE and a large visual effect basically heals for nothing- At the BEST Possible outcome, Warhorn heals for 1850, this is less than dagger 2, which has - more range, shorter cast, but can be interrupted by looking away, Dagger 2 at BEST heals for: 4050, this will heal even if you are blocked, but not if you miss, so the warhorn in BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO heals Less than dagger 2.

And Dagger isn't even that strong because it has no mobility and no way to counter anything, ( made a post about weapon rework yada yada),

Sorry if this started to rant on a bit - but they need to focus more on "average" than "best outcome", and even then their best outcome is worse than a skill that is easier to use.

I constantly feel like they nerf necromancer and don't take anything players say into consideration, yeah some people complained about focus 4, but I think the unanimous idea was make it Home like dagger 4, instead it's now worse as it doesn't home, does less damage, Less healing because regeneration lasted longer less vulnerability, but more life force which we don't even need because when things die we get life force. They also certainly didn't balance it for Pvp/WvW as it doesn't pierce, and can be blocked etc.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:it just needs to be a stronger heal in most cases.

But that won't actually fix any problem, Lifesteal is "lifesteal" not "Deal X damage to heal for Y", it's supposed to be "Deal X damage, heal for X" you are Stealing a Set amount of health, so why do they grow at different rates?

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

@Kuulpb.5412 said:so why do they grow at different rates?

cuz balance. you cant have blood magic traits doing the same as dagger siphon.

Dagger siphon grows at different rates, what do you mean?

Edit: they literally do the Same thing, but have different base numbers and growth.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Kuulpb.5412 said:so why do they grow at different rates?

cuz balance. you cant have blood magic traits doing the same as dagger siphon.

Dagger siphon grows at different rates, what do you mean?

Edit: they literally do the Same thing, but have different base numbers and growth.

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

you said you can't have traits do the same as dagger siphon, but that's what they do, both have a Damage aspect which is effected by power and a healing aspect effected by healing power, not sure what you're not understanding but I hope this helps clarify. both aren't "lifesteal" but are more heal when you do damage, and not a % of the damage you do.

Lifesteal is in absolutely no way underwhelming in this game..

If you play even a slightly durable minion master with blood magic traitline you would know that lifesteal is amazing.

If they changed it to benefit from power and crits like you suggested it would literally make one of my favorite builds unkillable.

If they made lifesteal more powerful like that you'd have Necro MM's AFK farming world bosses and tons of other group events as the minion lifesteal would easily be enough to outheal many of those more powerful creatures.

@"Teratus.2859" said:Lifesteal is in absolutely no way underwhelming in this game..

If you play even a slightly durable minion master with blood magic traitline you would know that lifesteal is amazing.

If they changed it to benefit from power and crits like you suggested it would literally make one of my favorite builds unkillable.

If they made lifesteal more powerful like that you'd have Necro MM's AFK farming world bosses and tons of other group events as the minion lifesteal would easily be enough to outheal many of those more powerful creatures.

one main issue I have is: Things seem to basically "require" other things to even function normally, lifesteal as it is now, is more "50-100 healing a hit" which is Almost nothing when you consider necromancers have 20-30,000 health and very low armour, so healing already has a lower "effect" on necromancers as Healing benefits from toughness over vitality.

the build you mention I assume is a Blood magic and Death magic thing, but as death magic outside of some general use PvE builds is REALLY bad it doesn't really mean much if you're "unkillable" when you do very low damage, Minions don't benefit from your power etc at all and for you to get any noticeable healing from it you need healing power or to hit lots of things fast: reworking lifesteal would mean reworking traits too, so the "unkillable" build wouldn't be unkillable since it'd be tweaked from a balance standpoint, although having said that necromancers need something they excel in because they have nothing atm, Healing is druid, condition is Mirage, tankinees is spellbreaker, Power is basically anything.

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:While I can't and won't disagree with what was said about focus and warhorn.

For example, you have to take into account that traited, each
well
have the potential to heal you for 6k to 7.5k without healing power. Which mean that you can litterally fill your utility bar with pseudo heal skills that also deal a similar amount of damage.

the main thing about that though is: because 212(base) x 5 targets = 1000 a tick sure, but that's also accounting for what is effectively an "enemy that doesn't have eyes" and if the enemy does more than 1000 per second, which is nothing unusual, then that doesn't help, especially since to heal for that 1k a tick (5k per well) you need 5 enemies, all of which have to do between 0-200 damage to get ANY benefit, otherwise you're just "reducing damage you take" at the end, since you have to stand inside the well and they have to stand inside the well. If you are ina well, 5 enemies and you, you heal for 1000, if each enemy does 1000 a hit, that's 4k you take as opposed to 5k, if you have 4k health left before this, you die, If you have 5k you survive on 1k and won't survive another. Lifesteal as it is now Heals for basically nothing except the most specific of specific circumstances, and IN those specific circumstances you have to be RIGHT in the line of fire to even be healed. Heal from shouts? you need 5 targets, Heal from well? 5 targets, any less and you aren't even being healed enough to warrant using any lifesteal. now that the focus and warhorn reworks gutted the entire thing, focus 4 hitting ONE target heals for basically nothing, warhorn with such a low duration, PBAoE and a large visual effect basically heals for nothing- At the BEST Possible outcome, Warhorn heals for 1850, this is less than dagger 2, which has - more range, shorter cast, but can be interrupted by looking away, Dagger 2 at BEST heals for: 4050, this will heal even if you are blocked, but not if you miss, so the warhorn in BEST POSSIBLE SCENARIO heals Less than dagger 2.

And Dagger isn't even that strong because it has no mobility and no way to counter anything, ( made a post about weapon rework yada yada),

Sorry if this started to rant on a bit - but they need to focus more on "average" than "best outcome", and even then their best outcome is worse than a skill that is easier to use.

I constantly feel like they nerf necromancer and don't take anything players say into consideration, yeah some people complained about focus 4, but I think the unanimous idea was make it Home like dagger 4, instead it's now worse as it doesn't home, does less damage, Less healing because regeneration lasted longer less vulnerability, but more life force which we don't even need because when things die we get life force. They also certainly didn't balance it for Pvp/WvW as it doesn't pierce, and can be blocked etc.

I understand how you feel, but you can't rule out the maximum potential of something with arguments like: ennemies will avoid it. It's like saying that an invuln skill do nothing because players don't hit you when you use it.

The defensive mechanism of the necromancer is flawed at it's core but the whole necromancer is balanced around it. Modifying the lifestealing effects the way you suggest would shatter the balance and give to much potential sustain to dps spec like I've said before. Each time ANet add a bunch of lifesteal effects on the necromancer they do it very carefully, truth be told I think the GS trait was them being very daring but considering all the previous nerfs to reaper's sustain (shroud uptime and spectral skills nerf) they had some margin to do it.

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:Lifesteal is in absolutely no way underwhelming in this game..

one main issue I have is: Things seem to basically "require" other things to even function normally, lifesteal as it is now, is more "50-100 healing a hit" which is Almost nothing when you consider necromancers have 20-30,000 health and very low armour, so healing already has a lower "effect" on necromancers as Healing benefits from toughness over vitality.

the build you mention I assume is a Blood magic and Death magic thing, but as death magic outside of some general use PvE builds is REALLY bad it doesn't really mean much if you're "unkillable" when you do very low damage, Minions don't benefit from your power etc at all and for you to get any noticeable healing from it you need healing power or to hit lots of things fast: reworking lifesteal would mean reworking traits too, so the "unkillable" build wouldn't be unkillable since it'd be tweaked from a balance standpoint, although having said that necromancers need something they excel in because they have nothing atm, Healing is druid, condition is Mirage, tankinees is spellbreaker, Power is basically anything.

Blood, Death, Reaper yes, used to use Soul Reaping pre HoT.Designed largely around maximizing minions and heal sustain.. it's very hard to kill in PvE and prior to minion changes and the addition of Elite specs it was really hard to kill in PvP too pre HoT.I don't actually use Healing power (except the 150 I get from Last rites).. I use Soldier stats so my damage isn't as terrible as you might expect neither is the incoming healing.In many fights I can maintain around 10-11 minions sometimes 12 depending on what i'm running and how many enemies are around and that does add up both in damage and in incoming life steal.Sure I'm not going to win any DPS awards or anything but it's good enough to go toe to toe with just about anything solo.

Adding to that I have access to regen on dodge (Lesser Mark of Blood) and protection when leaving shroud (Beyond the Veil)Sometimes I use Death Nova for more minions = more lifesteal + more damage and tons of poisonfields when they die :D or Corrupter's Fervor for more toughness.I get more toughness per minion with Flesh of the Master amd More damage from minions and they take conditions with Necromantic Corruption.Minion and Player Lifesteal with Vampiric and Vampiric Pressence as well as stopping ally bleedout and being able to pull rez them in shroud.

Then in Reaper line I have lifesteal on shout + reduced cooldown for Rise per target, 15% damage increase to chilled foes which is easy to exploit with focus 5, Reaper Shroud and GS auto and lastly I get 300 ferocity and quickness while in shroud which goes really nicely with Decimate Defences 2% crit chance per stack of Vulnerability on foes allowing me to get 50% crit chance without needing any precision stat in the build at all.I can get more ferocity and power from food etc too if I want extra damage as well as more crits from Superior Sigil of Preception(25 stacks combined with 25 stacks of Vulnerability = 66.90% Crit chance without a single investment in precision)

Contributing to the healing factor as well I have constant health regen from Superior Rune of the Dolyak and I AoE heal on crits with Superior Sigil of Water.

So as you can see I have a lot of constant incoming healing from multiple sources mostly life steal from on average 10ish minions. (can also get more from food)Likewise multiple pockets of damage being done by myself, minions and poison fields caused by their death which are numerous thanks to timegated minions I get when I kill stuff and the minions summoned with Rise.I can get almost 70% crit chance without precision (which is ridiculous)My stats bounce around 2,382 Power + 2,340-2,500 Toughness depending on how many minions I have (2660 in shroud) which gives me a max Armor rating of 3,307- 3,500 (3600+ in shroud) Not so "very low" after all is it :PCombine that with 29,812 base Hp (30K + with food) and 20,571 Life force and you can see what I mean when I say lifesteal is already capable of making you nearly unkillable as it is without needing to completely sacrifice your damage.

Functions great as a solo build and benefits from a moderate damage buff when playing with others thanks to 25 vulnerability and perma chill being extremely easy to maintan with a small group.Dagger 2 even functions as a main healing skill thanks to it's bigger heal and 6 second shorter cooldown than sacrificing the Blood Fiend.

I highly recommend giving it a try sometime if you like the power tank playstyle, more than happy to give you the exact build I use, all traits, gear etc.It's never going to be best DPS meta or anything but it's still very capable, definitely the kind of build you use to help people out when they get in over their heads which is a fun pastime for me.Oh yeah the Shroud skill 4 does AoE healing too, I've managed to get upwards of 6K AoE healing on it in some situations (around 4-5K normally) which is a nice boon for fractals and stuff, I've saved a lot of people with this build over the years not to mention being the main reason my fractal pug group hasn't wiped multiple times in the same encounter ^^

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:I agree that lifesteal feels underwhelming. Frankly life stealing should do more to benefit the necromancer

For example, siphoning resources from your enemy rather than just health...like draining endurance, cooldowns(making enemy cooldowns higher) or siphoning life force in addition to health.

Having so many effects on life steal would just make it overpowered and lead to it being nerfed into oblivion.There's already Weakness and Chilled for lowering endurance and cooldown recharge rate, both available to Necromancer.

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

But that won't actually fix any problem, Lifesteal is "lifesteal" not "Deal X damage to heal for Y", it's supposed to be "Deal X damage, heal for X" you are Stealing a Set amount of health, so why do they grow at different rates?

There is no intrinsic rule that make it wrong to have the damage and healing separated. That's a way to get more control on the metrics to balance them.Having the healing part scaling of Power (1:1 with damage) would remove any usefulness to the Healing Power attribute and allow huge sustain on glass cannon characters.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Lifesteal is in absolutely no way underwhelming in this game..

Blood, Death, Reaper yes, used to use Soul Reaping pre HoT.Designed largely around maximizing minions and heal sustain.. it's very hard to kill in PvE and prior to minion changes and the addition of Elite specs it was really hard to kill in PvP too pre HoT.I don't actually use Healing power (except the 150 I get from Last rites).. I use Soldier stats so my damage isn't as terrible as you might expect neither is the incoming healing.In many fights I can maintain around 10-11 minions sometimes 12 depending on what i'm running and how many enemies are around and that does add up both in damage and in incoming life steal.Sure I'm not going to win any DPS awards or anything but it's good enough to go toe to toe with just about anything solo.

Adding to that I have access to regen on dodge (Lesser Mark of Blood) and protection when leaving shroud (Beyond the Veil)Sometimes I use Death Nova for more minions = more lifesteal + more damage and tons of poisonfields when they die :D or Corrupter's Fervor for more toughness.I get more toughness per minion with Flesh of the Master amd More damage from minions and they take conditions with Necromantic Corruption.Minion and Player Lifesteal with Vampiric and Vampiric Pressence as well as stopping ally bleedout and being able to pull rez them in shroud.

Then in Reaper line I have lifesteal on shout + reduced cooldown for Rise per target, 15% damage increase to chilled foes which is easy to exploit with focus 5, Reaper Shroud and GS auto and lastly I get 300 ferocity and quickness while in shroud which goes really nicely with Decimate Defences 2% crit chance per stack of Vulnerability on foes allowing me to get 50% crit chance without needing any precision stat in the build at all.I can get more ferocity and power from food etc too if I want extra damage as well as more crits from Superior Sigil of Preception(25 stacks combined with 25 stacks of Vulnerability = 66.90% Crit chance without a single investment in precision)

Contributing to the healing factor as well I have constant health regen from Superior Rune of the Dolyak and I AoE heal on crits with Superior Sigil of Water.

So as you can see I have a lot of constant incoming healing from multiple sources mostly life steal from on average 10ish minions. (can also get more from food)Likewise multiple pockets of damage being done by myself, minions and poison fields caused by their death which are numerous thanks to timegated minions I get when I kill stuff and the minions summoned with Rise.I can get almost 70% crit chance without precision (which is ridiculous)My stats bounce around 2,382 Power + 2,340-2,500 Toughness depending on how many minions I have (2660 in shroud) which gives me a max Armor rating of 3,307- 3,500 (3600+ in shroud) Not so "very low" after all is it :PCombine that with 29,812 base Hp (30K + with food) and 20,571 Life force and you can see what I mean when I say lifesteal is already capable of making you nearly unkillable as it is without needing to completely sacrifice your damage.

Functions great as a solo build and benefits from a moderate damage buff when playing with others thanks to 25 vulnerability and perma chill being extremely easy to maintan with a small group.Dagger 2 even functions as a main healing skill thanks to it's bigger heal and 6 second shorter cooldown than sacrificing the Blood Fiend.

I highly recommend giving it a try sometime if you like the power tank playstyle, more than happy to give you the exact build I use, all traits, gear etc.It's never going to be best DPS meta or anything but it's still very capable, definitely the kind of build you use to help people out when they get in over their heads which is a fun pastime for me.Oh yeah the Shroud skill 4 does AoE healing too, I've managed to get upwards of 6K AoE healing on it in some situations (around 4-5K normally) which is a nice boon for fractals and stuff, I've saved a lot of people with this build over the years not to mention being the main reason my fractal pug group hasn't wiped multiple times in the same encounter ^^

It is very low since you're ENTIRELY specced for toughness/survivability.

@Kulvar.1239 said:

@JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:I agree that lifesteal feels underwhelming. Frankly life stealing should do more to benefit the necromancer

For example, siphoning resources from your enemy rather than just health...like draining endurance, cooldowns(making enemy cooldowns higher) or siphoning life force in addition to health.

Having so many effects on life steal would just make it overpowered and lead to it being nerfed into oblivion.There's already Weakness and Chilled for lowering endurance and cooldown recharge rate, both available to Necromancer.

There is no intrinsic rule that make it wrong to have the damage and healing separated. That's a way to get more control on the metrics to balance them.Having the healing part scaling of Power (1:1 with damage) would remove any usefulness to the Healing Power attribute and allow huge sustain on glass cannon characters.

Well, the main idea of "lifesteal" is You deal X damage and steal that much damage as healing, In guild wars 1 this was the case, Vampiric gaze would do X damage, say 50, and you would heal for 50, and this would increase in healing as you increased in damage, Separating the damage and healing makes it no longer lifesteal.

@"Kuulpb.5412" said:Well, the main idea of "lifesteal" is You deal X damage and steal that much damage as healing, In guild wars 1 this was the case, Vampiric gaze would do X damage, say 50, and you would heal for 50, and this would increase in healing as you increased in damage, Separating the damage and healing makes it no longer lifesteal.

This is because it was the case in GW1 that devs choose to avoid it in GW2. Lifesteal in GW1 was considered as too strong a mechanism, the devs didn't want a second "ranger touch".

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Kuulpb.5412" said:Well, the main idea of "lifesteal" is You deal X damage and steal that much damage as healing, In guild wars 1 this was the case, Vampiric gaze would do X damage, say 50, and you would heal for 50, and this would increase in healing as you increased in damage, Separating the damage and healing makes it no longer lifesteal.

This is because it was the case in GW1 that devs choose to avoid it in GW2. Lifesteal in GW1 was considered as too strong a mechanism, the devs didn't want a second "ranger touch".

Ranger touch was fun though D:. but I see your point :/ Bleh

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Lifesteal is in absolutely no way underwhelming in this game..

I'm not though.As I said it's main stat is power not toughness and despite no stat investment I can still hit 70% crit chance quite often.That's why I call it a Power Tank not just a Tank.

You'll just have to try it yourself to understand, it's by far the best build I've used that you could call a highly proficient Jack of all trades.It could be more tanky, it could be more dps focused, could be more healing focused but it sits nicely in the middle being respectably competent at all 3.I've attempted to make similar builds on other classes but they simply cannot replicate the same level of tankyness while possessing the same level of damage output and sustain, that's mainly where the minions and lifesteal come in and Necro is the only class that can use summons to that effect.There are ways to make other classes play Jack of all trade playstyles but they cannot compete with the Necromancer on that front.. not even remotely close.

@Teratus.2859 said:

I'm not though.As I said it's main stat is power not toughness and despite no stat investment I can still hit 70% crit chance quite often.That's why I call it a Power Tank not just a Tank.

You'll just have to try it yourself to understand, it's by far the best build I've used that you could call a highly proficient Jack of all trades.It could be more tanky, it could be more dps focused, could be more healing focused but it sits nicely in the middle being respectably competent at all 3.I've attempted to make similar builds on other classes but they simply cannot replicate the same level of tankyness while possessing the same level of damage output and sustain, that's mainly where the minions and lifesteal come in and Necro is the only class that can use summons to that effect.There are ways to make other classes play Jack of all trade playstyles but they cannot compete with the Necromancer on that front.. not even remotely close.

Two of your stats are defensive, meaning the MAJORITY of you stats are defensive. that makes it Defensive.

Well they are damn wrong if they think hp can make necromancers tanky anywhere except open world.

@Kuulpb.5412 said:

Two of your stats are defensive, meaning the MAJORITY of you stats are defensive. that makes it Defensive.

Defensive yes but that's not what you said.You said i'm "ENTIRELY specced for toughness/survivability." and that's not true.

I may only be using 3 defined stats on my gear.. Power(Main), Toughness and Vitality but my traits and skills give me the ability to function as a character that's utalizing 4 different stats at high investment, therefore i'm not entirely specced for toughness/survivability.The 69.90% Crit chance I can get upto through the combination of my Sigil stacks and the enemies applied Vulnerability (which like I said is almost constantly 25 in any group based content) effectively means that my build can operate with more base crit chance than a character running a full set of Bezerker gear without me needing to put a single point into the precision stat on any of my weapons, trinkets or armour.

My Ranger in full bezerker gear has 2,145 precision giving him a base total of 59,52% Crit chance.. that's 10.38% crit chance lower than what my Necromancer can get without any gear precision stat investment at all.Granted the Ranger can self apply Fury and Might and my Necro build can't but it can get that from allies easily and often.The difference comes down to Ferocity and that's the only real weak point of the build, high crit chance but low ferocity crit damage.

It's still enough to make a noticable difference when I am operating at my peak though.High crit chance and raw power combined with high toughness and health.. and add to that a significant amount of constant incoming healing.No other class in Gw2 can function like that.. i've tried to replicate it in various ways on most classes but none of them can gain the same level of tank, damage and sustain at the same time.. Necro is the only class capable of it thanks to it's unique traits and skills.

The way the build works essentially means I am more or less running the exclusively PVP Paladin stat set in PvE and WvW.Power, Precision Main - Toughness, Vitality minor..Only i'm doing it with higher stats than the Paladin stats can provide.

Paladin Amulet + Superior Rune of Dolyak2050 Power2050 Precision (55.00% Crit chance, easily caps 100% crit chance with Vulnerability)1860 Toughness1660 Vitality (25,812 health, 17,811 Life Force)

My PvE Build + Superior Rune of Dolyak2381 Power1000 base precision (5% crit chance) +250 Precision Sigil (19,90% Crit chance) + Decimate defences Vulnerability (69,90% Crit chance)2261 Toughness2061 Vitality (29,822 health, 20,578 life force)

2 Primary stats are defensive yes but with maxed sigil and Decimate Defenses taking advantage of 25 Vulnerability it technically remains as offensive as it is defensive since when my crit chance is at 69,90% i'm effectively functioning as if my precision stat is 2384 which is higher than my base toughness, vitality and power.Factor in additional Toughness from traits though my two main stats are typically Power and Toughness.. but when operating at my peak they are Toughness and Precision.So either way my two highest stats at any one time are one offensive and one defensive, so I cannot be as you said "ENTIRELY specced for toughness/survivability" when the offensive capabilities of the build are equally present.If anything at best combining Power/Precision against Toughness/Vitality i'm technically more offenisve than defensive stat wise.

@XECOR.2814 said:

For example, you have to take into account that traited, each
well
have the potential to heal you for 6k to 7.5k without healing power. Which mean that you can litterally fill your utility bar with pseudo heal skills that also deal a similar amount of damage.

Well they are kitten wrong if they think hp can make necromancers tanky anywhere except open world.

It's been the case since core release and there have been plenty of players complaining about how necromancers and their "2nd health pool" are tanky. And in fact using HP to tank is more effective in PvP/WvW than it will ever be in PvE open world or not. Mobs design isn't kind for players that let themselve being hitten and the scaling in group event make it worst in open world. The only saving grace of this system in PvE is that with no ally around outside of your minions you can outsustain most of the non-scaled things you'll encounter there.

So all in all tanking with HP is like that:

• Non-scaled Open world PvE: Top defense.
  • Scaled Open world PvE: Below average defense.
  • Dungeon/fractal: Slightly above average defense.
  • Raid: Slightly above average defense.
  • PvP (teamfight): Above average defense.
  • Solo PvP/WvW: Low defense.
  • WvW (large scale fight): Below average defense.
  • WvW (smale scale fight): Above average defense.