Best race for Revenant lorewise Sylvari or Human?

I'd go with human (and my Rev main is a human). Lore-wise, there are more links between humans and the Rev's legends than any other race. Shiro was a human, Malyx was an antagonist primarily to humans. Ventari had a human friend that shaped his life, thus helping influence the Sylvari by proxy. Jalis affected humans more than any other playable GW2 race during the events of GW1. Glint was freed for Kralkatoric's influence by the Forgotten, who were servants of the Human gods.

The only link that Sylvari have with the legends is through Ventari. They aren't a race that is old enough to have legends of their own.

Asura may be an interesting choice. While they aren't big on legends themselves, the curious little buggers would definitely research the potential of drawing power from the legends of other races.

I think both can work. Humans have direct links with many of the legends through the events of GW1 (except Kalla Scorchrazor who was born just as GW1:Beyond ended). But sylvari all experience The Dream before they're born which can show them things from Tyria's history, present or potentially visions of the future (for example Caithe dreamed of fighting the elder dragons - something no one had done at that point), and we only see the very end of the player characters Dream. So your character could have seen visions of the legends in their Dream and that's why they were drawn to that type of magic.