Just activated Soulbeast and...

PookieDaWombat.6209

...yeah, I was (rightfully so) under the impression that the whole idea behind the class was that (at least as far as its new weapon was concerned) it was a condi spec. The dagger is pretty much made to churn out conditions.

So imagine my surprise when the only stat combinations available to me were Cleric, Minstrel and Nomad. Not a SINGLE condi based stat set on a weapon explicitly designed as a condi weapon.

Deadeye rifle had assassin and zerker. Even the Spellbreaker and Holosmith starter weapons had stats that could compliment the "intended" play style pitched.

I get it, Anet really hates rangers and all, but holy kitten do they HAVE to be so obnoxious about the level of hate???

Your statement about not having the stat combos available to you confuses me...were they not in your inventory of you couldn't find them or craft them? There's rabid, sinister, viper....if its just the skin that you want, just transmute the appropriate stat weapon with the Soulbeast dagger skin.

@GussJr.1643 said:Your statement about not having the stat combos available to you confuses me...were they not in your inventory of you couldn't find them or craft them? There's rabid, sinister, viper....if its just the skin that you want, just transmute the appropriate stat weapon with the Soulbeast dagger skin.

maybe you haven't activated a elite spec for a while.The moment you unlock an elite spec the game gives you a pat on the back. Congratulations. You've unlocked X. Here have an achievement with a exotic weapon fitting for the spec you've just unlocked.Said weapon even allows you to select stats for it. Amazing right? After all it is supposed to help you getting started and they give you a little variety to fit into your preffered playstyle.Just not for soulbeast - the soulbeast dagger (aside form being ugly as hell) - you know the condition dmg melee weapon - only allows you to pick between cleric, minstrel and nomad.

It's an exotic freebee [insert "It's something meme"]

But, no really, I didn't even select the stats on my freebee as I just slotted it to test out the skills. If you want a true reward each spec has an associated Ascended weapon you can unlock. Not necessarily hard to unlock but it is a bit of a time crunch. Luckily you can work on the PoF Elite Weapon collectives at the same time.

OK, Yes, I know that this is just the exotic that is given at unlock of the spec, AND i know I can just as easily craft/buy/mystic toilet/etc a proper dagger with the stats i want on it HOWEVER, my bigger point here is that while I know this and have the means to do this a brand new player boosting a ranger to 80 to try to get into Soulbeast may not or will not and they will be set at a disadvantage by being given a new shiny weapon that doesn't even have a stat selection that marries up to the purpose of the weapon. There are things that Anet could have done here which would have maybe made using this infernal thing, but as of right now its just a new ugly skin and hopefully some decent materials when I salvage it.

@GussJr.1643 said:

@Sedlina.1097 said:

@GussJr.1643 said:Your statement about not having the stat combos available to you confuses me...were they not in your inventory of you couldn't find them or craft them? There's rabid, sinister, viper....if its just the skin that you want, just transmute the appropriate stat weapon with the Soulbeast dagger skin.

maybe you haven't activated a elite spec for a while.The moment you unlock an elite spec the game gives you a pat on the back. Congratulations. You've unlocked X. Here have an achievement with a exotic weapon fitting for the spec you've just unlocked.Said weapon even allows you to select stats for it. Amazing right? After all it is supposed to help you getting started and they give you a little variety to fit into your preffered playstyle.Just not for soulbeast - the soulbeast dagger (aside form being ugly as hell) - you know the condition dmg melee weapon - only allows you to pick between cleric, minstrel and nomad.

Well, honestly, since you came to the forums to complain about something as trivial as 3 weapons stats on an exotic...I figured you were a noob looking for help. My bad...guess you just like to complain.

First, you're directing that at the wrong person. Second, and more importantly this is more of a general systematic problem that Anet seems to have with regard to Rangers since day one, hour zero and which has only seemingly gotten worse.

Its not a trivial thing when something as basic as "we've designed this weapon to be condi based" should also have at least one basic condi stat combination to select from and it had none. This is just bad design or its meant to be intentionally mean spirited.

I've been playing GW2 since beta and go way back to GW1 early days and yes, for something like this I will complain because it comes off as the company not really caring what they do for an entire group of people that play this class almost exclusively.

I've played just as long as you...always mained ranger...mained ranger in EQ2, and Eq before that...ranger is a tough class for dev's...always has been. Going off on something as trivial as a trash exotic is silly imo...I understand it's frustrating...and I get your point about new insta-80's...however, honestly, if you're an insta-80 ranger...you're not gonna know the class well enough to even know where to begin...so the stats on the weapon don't really matter.

In regards to the stat choices on the weapon recieved...

It's a "problem" across all of the new elite specs. For some mystifying reason all of the weapons have the same three stat combos to pick from as the HoT elite spec weapons. This means, as you saw, that the Soulbeast dagger gets the same three options as the Druid staff, which doesn't mesh well at all. For some of classes this does work out, since their PoF specs focus on the same damage type as their HoT spec (see thief, for example).

So yeah... this isn't so much a Ranger/Soulbeast problem as it is a lazy copy/pasta problem. Why, exactly, they didn't take a little extra time to assign proper stat choices for the new weapons is anybody's guess.

@GussJr.1643 said:I've played just as long as you...always mained ranger...mained ranger in EQ2, and Eq before that...ranger is a tough class for dev's...always has been. Going off on something as trivial as a trash exotic is silly imo...I understand it's frustrating...and I get your point about new insta-80's...however, honestly, if you're an insta-80 ranger...you're not gonna know the class well enough to even know where to begin...so the stats on the weapon don't really matter.

And there is the problem as I stated it: "you're not gonna know the class well enough to even know where to begin" if you're a new player, and so as a new player they won't know that their stat choices are meant for the prior elite spec and will wonder why they aren't performing as well as you or I that know what the weapon's main gimmick is and can build toward one that is correct.

My concern here is that this is yet another thing that could take a potential new player and completely turn them off to both the class and the game simply because Anet didn't think this one admittedly small thing through.

@savacli.8172 said:It's an exotic freebee [insert "It's something meme"]

But, no really, I didn't even select the stats on my freebee as I just slotted it to test out the skills. If you want a true reward each spec has an associated Ascended weapon you can unlock. Not necessarily hard to unlock but it is a bit of a time crunch. Luckily you can work on the PoF Elite Weapon collectives at the same time.

This may sound dumb....but really? I didn't know if truth be told. Learn something new I guess. I know, I probably should since I completed the story. But really do not do the stories much let alone PvE. So if you can obtain an ascended dagger that would be cool. A warhorn would also be nice but beggars can't be choosy. I'll check out the achievements and see what it is.

Thanks.

@Kreed.2768 said:In regards to the stat choices on the weapon recieved...

It's a "problem" across all of the new elite specs. For some mystifying reason all of the weapons have the same three stat combos to pick from as the HoT elite spec weapons. This means, as you saw, that the Soulbeast dagger gets the same three options as the Druid staff, which doesn't mesh well at all. For some of classes this does work out, since their PoF specs focus on the same damage type as their HoT spec (see thief, for example).

So yeah... this isn't so much a Ranger/Soulbeast problem as it is a lazy copy/pasta problem. Why, exactly, they didn't take a little extra time to assign proper stat choices for the new weapons is anybody's guess.

I believe its only 5 of them. Ele can choose Greiver for its weapon and Necro can choose Viper, both fitting the weapon perfectly. Mirage is in the middle in that it can choose between 3 condi stats but they are all sub par.

@Levetty.1279 said:

I believe its only 5 of them. Ele can choose Greiver for its weapon and Necro can choose Viper, both fitting the weapon perfectly. Mirage is in the middle in that it can choose between 3 condi stats but they are all sub par.

"Only five" out of nine still sounds pretty bad to me.

@Kreed.2768 said:

@Levetty.1279 said:

"Only five" out of nine still sounds pretty bad to me.

Yeah definitely.

@Sartharina.3542 said:

@anduriell.6280 said:i think the guy behind the spec was a little bit annoyed... maybe?I don't think there was anyone behind the spec.There must be someone, because nothing would evolve traits as terrible as Soulbeast on it's own.

@Ellisande.5218 said:Here's a dagger spec instead of the Rifle spec you've been begging us to give you for years.We'll hopefully never get a rifle spec. It's pointless and does not fit the class.

Archived