What the heck is Charged Quartz & where to get it?

I've been playing since launch, but I've never had any interest in crafting, mystic toilet, or legendaries. I assume charged quartz was used for that sort of stuff--hence why I never noticed it even existed until the Skyscale collection.So.... where and how do I even get the stuff?I never bothered to get material nodes in the home instance (again, they seem to benefit crafters and legendary makers, which I am not), so I definitely don't have whichever one gives you charged quartz. Beyond that, I'm clueless.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charged_Quartz_Crystal

You can convert 25 normal Quartz into 1 Charged Quartz at a place of power per day.

All the Skyscale relevant items are traded on the trading post though and directly buying them would be cheaper than trying your luck on Winterday Gifts or Trick-or-Treat bags (which have a rare chance to drop a Charged Quartz).

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:Also if you see someone offering in map chat to let you farm their home instance that might have a quartz node as well as a Krait Obelisk Shard where you can quickly charge them if you have 25.

Plus, there is a rare chance that home instance node will drop a charged crystal or an extra 5 quartz on any of the three strikes.

@MachineManXX.9746 said:I find it very hard to believe that you have played since launch and don't already have a bunch. I've never intentionally made charged quartz and I have over 100 in inventory, and I have used them for other things in the past. Have you actually looked to see if you already have some?

i'm playing since release and only farmed this stuff once for something. you dont need the Crystals for anything. so why farming this stuff?same was for Silver and Gold needed for Aurora.

• Like 1

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@MachineManXX.9746 said:I find it very hard to believe that you have played since launch and don't already have a bunch. I've never intentionally made charged quartz and I have over 100 in inventory, and I have used them for other things in the past. Have you actually looked to see if you already have some?

i'm playing since release and only farmed this stuff once for something. you dont need the Crystals for anything. so why farming this stuff?same was for Silver and Gold needed for Aurora.

If you read what the person you replied to said they dident farm it and still had 100, thats the point of that post.

@Linken.6345 said:

If you read what the person you replied to said they dident farm it and still had 100, thats the point of that post.

only because he said this, doesnt mean thats true. for example if you do not play the winter event, you dont have crystals.you have to go to the maps and farm it. every day. and you can only get around 25 each day. enough for one charged crystal. so having 100 you had to farm this stuff.

but anet loves this. putting stuff in collections, nobody has anymore and call it content.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

only because he said this, doesnt mean thats true. for example if you do not play the winter event, you dont have crystals.you have to go to the maps and farm it. every day. and you can only get around 25 each day. enough for one charged crystal. so having 100 you had to farm this stuff.

but anet loves this. putting stuff in collections, nobody has anymore and call it content.

I'm saying I never tried to get any, and when I realized I would need 43 of these? ... I looked to see what I had, and I have 107 charged quartz in material storage. I never charged any quartz crystals, these are just drops that I have gotten through the years. I'm not saying you should also have that many, but it's surprising you have zero after playing since launch.

I think they only way to get them without trying (i.e., charging regular quartz or getting the quartz home node) is by opening Wintersday gifts, right? Or maybe there’s also a node in Dry Top? I’ve been playing for the past few years but am always busy around the holidays (few Wintersday gifts) and never cared for Dry Top that much. I’m not complaining about the charged quartz requirement as there are ways around it and I can work on stockpiling it now, but to imply that anyone who plays a lot should already have a lot is incorrect in my opinion.

@VDAC.2137 said:

I think they only way to get them without trying (i.e., charging regular quartz or getting the quartz home node) is by opening Wintersday gifts, right? Or maybe there’s also a node in Dry Top? I’ve been playing for the past few years but am always busy around the holidays (few Wintersday gifts) and never cared for Dry Top that much. I’m not complaining about the charged quartz requirement as there are ways around it and I can work on stockpiling it now, but to imply that anyone who plays a lot should already have a lot is incorrect in my opinion.

There are nodes in Dry Top and Crystal Oasis. I don't mine enough enough to know it they have a chance of giving charged. Actually I am pretty sure the normal ones in DT doesn't but there is also the rich node.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

There are nodes in Dry Top and Crystal Oasis. I don't mine enough enough to know it they have a chance of giving charged. Actually I am pretty sure the normal ones in DT doesn't but there is also the rich node.

I was told yesterday that the open world nodes don’t ever give charged, but I have no idea whether or not that’s correct. Either way, unless a player frequents home nodes, I think it very unlikely for them to get much charged quartz unless they specifically farm it or charge the regular quartz. I didn’t even know about it until I wanted to make some celestial gear, and then I made a few extra to have on hand — but not nearly enough as it turns out! Oh well.

I've been playing since the beginning of ls2 and I don't have any either. I don't craft, I almost never play at winter event because I'm usually busy that time of the year. So yeah you need to actively farm them or play the winter event to get it.Makes me sad because I chose the skyscale because it was cheaper than the griffin but now I need to wait a month or pay in the tp again...

Charged Quartz can come from several different festival bags, including Wintersday Gifts, Trick-or-Treat Bags and Zephyrite Boxes.

Like some other people in this thread I had quite a bit in storage (had, I've been making and selling grow lamps so now I'm down to about 50) and I assume that's where it came from because I certainly haven't been making it deliberately.

Any time you need a crafting material it's always worth checking your bank just in case. It's very easy in this game to pick something up and never even notice because you use the deposit all materials button without even looking at everything in your inventory. Of course everyone won't have everything, but unless you're somehow able to keep track of all the hundreds of materials which can come from random places it's always worth a check before you go and buy it.

(Although in this case I highly recommend buying grow lamps from the TP instead of making them - it's definitely the best way to get it and I'm not at all saying that just because I'm one of the ones selling them.)