PingPlotter Graph on Anet

I was wondering why I couldn't connect to Anet, and when I could the map would take forever to load.

It seems that there's a loop of sorts being created within NCSoft's servers, creating multiple unnecessary hops (mine have increased from 23-24 to around 64) and it all starts with when the address 64.25.32-9.ncsoft.com (no that's not a typo) goes to 64.25.32-26, and then to 64.25.32-25 and back and forth over again -- a total of 48 times. This is creating 100% packet loss by the time it gets to its destination.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2ihbbjm.jpg

I was wondering why I couldn't either log in or get the new Dragonfall map to load correctly. Either way was taking vastly long periods of time, way more than normal.

I had an address which I was checking in the history of my PingPlotter program, which was 64.25.33.87 (I'm guessing it was one of the LS3 or early LS4 maps) as shown, which kept bouncing between IP addresses at ncsoft.com. I found this unusual since I'd never seen this kind of behaviour before, and thought I'd report it here.

Anyway I just checked Dragonfall's "/ip" and it's totally different, but also doesn't explain the kind of packet loss I was experiencing yesterday. Now that I've entered the Dragonfall IP (18.213.92.165) and put that into the PingPlotter, it's showing 100% packet loss at the destination.

Also bear in mind that I'm in Australia, and my ping is usually around 250ms at best. There's usually only 23-24 hops between my location and the Anet server, but this is now showing me 30 hops.

I've just discovered that the only reachable address (on PingPlotter) is 54.239.42.89 thanks to these 100% packet loss hops at the destination.http://i68.tinypic.com/2447kp4.jpg

@Valandil Dragonhart.2371 said:yeah I thought it was odd. But it still doesn't explain the mysterious packet loss from the Amazon servers I'm getting now.

Screen?What do you mean by Amazon servers? Are you doing a traceroute while the game is active? If so post the log. As the Amazon servers don't use a static IP block like the NCSoft servers used to, and willing to bet that anet doesn't have any control over what IP's or servers Amazon assigns to them.

Not sure if it helps (fellow Aussie here too - gday), but:

• Optus have been having some pretty big issues starting 2 days ago. Who knows what the issue is there.
  • Amazon don't allow icmp by default, and I'm sure most content providers on AWS wouldn't enable it. With icmp disabled, it could give weird ping results.
  • If Amazon is used, then whatever you were hitting would not be the actual servers, but the external interfacing network and quite possibly a igw

I also know I was experiencing issues in-game yesterday, where I could do a lot of things as I normally could, but I kept getting pop up messages saying the client couldn't connect to the login servers... all whilst I was chatting in /map in LA!!

As for old servers being referenced... I know other games I've played have had this issue where localised DNS and DNS Proxies hadn't been updated, or were out of sync somewhere. Could even be ntp polling intervals from regional issues, which can cause skew, which screws a lot of things up... even session tokens... who knows.. (sidenote: if ntpd is being used, ANet should look into piloting PTP).

A fun challenge for those who are paid to look into these issues aye!

@Arimir.5864 said:

I also know I was experiencing issues in-game yesterday, where I could do a lot of things as I normally could, but I kept getting pop up messages saying the client couldn't connect to the login servers... all whilst I was chatting in /map in LA!!

I get that on occasion as well from my location (EU Finland)I think it's often related to the gemstore or the friend list which sometimes get a bit funny and stop working temporarily thus the message.