Account Access and Contacting Support

Is there currently some sort of asinine wait time on hearing back from support on regaining access to your account? A few days ago, I was having major issues with completing the final story mission in the human warrior storyline. It kept consistently kicking me from the game and, to date, I have not been able to complete it. I went ahead and went through troubleshooting it, all the way to the point of using a VPN (as someone else suggested). But when I re-logged in, for some reason, the launcher erased my password and didn't save it, despite having the box check marked to do so. I've been back into playing the game for a couple months now and never had any issue with it until just recently. The problem is that, I forgot my password. However, equally frustrating, is that I setup the SMS authentication thing. So, when I tried to recover my account, rather than send a link to my email, it sent it as an instant message to my phone. Here's the issue: About a month ago, I changed numbers and totally forgot about this 2-factor authentication thing so I never thought to update the new number. Which is my current conundrum. How do I go about regaining access to my account? This SMS thing has been nothing but a pain in my ass so far and I have submitted a ticket for assistance, but as of yet I've heard nothing back and am quickly growing concerned that I ever will at all...

For the sms auth thing:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230429447-Help-with-SMS-Authentication

This will need you to be able to login to your account manager tho (so the same credentials as your game).

As for password, does your forum maybe use the same pass and able to still see it there?

As for support ticket, make sure the automatic reply is received so you are sure the ticket went through. For the rest you can only wait as it probably takes some time checking private security data.

@"Aaralyna.3104" said:For the sms auth thing:

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/230429447-Help-with-SMS-Authentication

This will need you to be able to login to your account manager tho (so the same credentials as your game).

As for password, does your forum maybe use the same pass and able to still see it there?

As for support ticket, make sure the automatic reply is received so you are sure the ticket went through. For the rest you can only wait as it probably takes some time checking private security data.

My forum account apparently has different login info because the same password isn't being used for my account. I think it's because when I started playing the game again, it had been so long before that I had to reset my password at the time too, except I didn't have SMS setup so it was easy to do so. Now, I'm kind of screwed until I hear back from support. As SOON as they finally respond to me and help me gain access to my account again, I swear I'm shutting that damn SMS crap off and never using it ever again. I'll take less account security over this roller coaster ride and several day lockout of my own account over an authentication program that makes things 100 times worse and a support team that takes DAYS to respond to you.

My forum account apparently has different login info because the same password isn't being used for my account.It's something else then. Because the forums and the game use identical credentials.

I just changed phones, so I was able to double check that even just logging in to the forums, I was asked for my 2FA. (I don't use SMS; I use an app, in part because there are a variety of backup options not available using SMS.)

I'll take less account security over this roller coaster ride and several day lockout of my own account over an authentication program that makes things 100 times worse and a support team that takes DAYS to respond to you.

There's always a trade-off between security & convenience. Make sure you're clear on what it is you'd be risking: instead of waiting to get in contact with support for a minor issue, you'd be trying to contact them to prove that you're the rightful owner.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

My forum account apparently has different login info because the same password isn't being used for my account.It's something else then. Because the forums and the game use identical credentials.

I just changed phones, so I was able to double check that even just logging in to the forums, I was asked for my 2FA. (I don't use SMS; I use an app, in part because there are a variety of backup options not available using SMS.)

So they are on the same thing? I have everything autofilled right now and for whatever reason I am maintaining access to the forums, but am unable to login at the launcher. I wonder if it's possible for me to access my account through the forums account to remove the SMS or update my phone number?

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:https://account.arena.net/security/settings

That link will use the same (saved) credentials you used to post here.I think you can change the password without 'remember' the old one, but I think you'll still be asked for 2FA authentication (to change pw or remove 2FA).

I just gave it a try and it's still asking me to verify my account through SMS. I guess I will have to wait for support. So sometime next year.

When all is calm, the CS Team allows 72 hours to respond. Right now, they are experiencing high volume, so it may take longer than 72 hours.And, of course, verifying account ownership to allow access is something they are very thorough with.

In the future, you can always use a computer app (like WinAuth), or email verification for security.

Good luck.