Update to Attribute-Selectable gear is coming. Thoughts?

Hi there! I just read about the upcoming changes to attribute-selectable gear and it left me with a question:

What happens to gear that had the Assaulter(/Defender/Healer/Malicious) prefix when obtained, but has later been manually stat-changed to, say, Minstrel?Will this former Assaulter gear then be reset and would I have to toss it in the mystic forge another time to make it Minstrel again? Or does it not count as Assaulter gear anymore and won't be reset at all with this change?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Select quotes:

When this change goes live, many pieces of attribute-selectable gear will reset. You’ll need to reselect the attribute combinations on your equipped gear and the gear in your inventory. If your equipped gear is affected, you will receive a hint reminding you to select attributes for it....The goal of this change is to make it more obvious which attributes will be available in each prefix family....Daily rewards obtained from fractals that provide a choice of ascended armor will now contain a choice of heavy, medium, or light attribute-selectable gear associated with their prefix (Assaulter’s, Defender’s, Healer’s, Malicious) instead of a long list of choices of gear limited to attributes available in the base game. This change will be retroactive and apply to any chests currently in player inventories.

edit: updating in light of the thread being merged

@TwanBr.8340 said:Hi there! I just read about the upcoming changes to attribute-selectable gear and it left me with a question:

What happens to gear that had the Assaulter(/Defender/Healer/Malicious) prefix when obtained, but has later been manually stat-changed to, say, Minstrel?Will this former Assaulter gear then be reset and would I have to toss it in the mystic forge another time to make it Minstrel again? Or does it not count as Assaulter gear anymore and won't be reset at all with this change?

I'd rephrase this as:

What happens to reforged gear that started with selectable stats? Will it be treated as fixed? Or will one be forced to reselect?

I'd prefer to see an official comment rather than speculating. Regardless of how we parse the announcement, the reality will be based on whether one of the devs thought of this particular situation and coded accordingly.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I'd rephrase this as:

What happens to reforged gear that started with selectable stats? Will it be treated as fixed? Or will one be forced to reselect?

I'd prefer to see an official comment rather than speculating. Regardless of how we parse the announcement, the reality will be based on whether one of the devs thought of this particular situation and coded accordingly.

Likewise. Good to see you rephrasing my question to ensure it is conceived as intended :+1:

If gear is being reset then what happens to runes, sigils, agony resist, etcetera?? I have about 14 characters fully geared how am I supposted to go through em all and figure it out? If I lose socketed stuff ill be REALLY upset. Its been 6 years of hard work setting those characters up. Does this apply to ascended gear? The expense of pulling out all that stuff would be very prohibitive.

@Oldyoung.6109 said:when you put stuff into the mystic forge what comes out is an entirely new item; in this case a non stat select-able item.

This would make the most sense. AFAIK the game has no way of even determining where your gear came from 'originally'. Once it comes out of the forge it's like a new drop . . .

@Sneakr.3679 said:If gear is being reset then what happens to runes, sigils, agony resist, etcetera?? I have about 14 characters fully geared how am I supposted to go through em all and figure it out? If I lose socketed stuff ill be REALLY upset. Its been 6 years of hard work setting those characters up. Does this apply to ascended gear? The expense of pulling out all that stuff would be very prohibitive.

I feel like they would have thought of this, but then I feel like it would have occurred to them that there was no way to make more sigils of nullification when ep 4 was released so I suppose we'll all get to find out together ;)

@"Sneakr.3679" said:If gear is being reset then what happens to runes, sigils, agony resist, etcetera?? I have about 14 characters fully geared how am I supposted to go through em all and figure it out? If I lose socketed stuff ill be REALLY upset. Its been 6 years of hard work setting those characters up. Does this apply to ascended gear? The expense of pulling out all that stuff would be very prohibitive.

Why would the other slots be impacted? Those slots are independent from the selected stats.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/en/uploads/forum_attachment/file/243033/gw766.jpg

@Sneakr.3679 said:Also - what about skins and dyes? Every time they do something like this something glitches.....its the nature of programming.

Again I'm guessing they would have thought of this? What I'm imagining here is that they are going to reset the stats of everything to its default 'null' state, not actually replace all the items with a new default item. I could be wrong ofc, there is no way for us to know. But I enjoy guessing and imagining so I don't mind :)

Assume that attuned and infused rings will remain so. If so this is great as I have a few old stat selections that need changed (commanders > diviner etc).

Wonder if Anet could get rid of 'unique' at the same time? (There are some tech issues why this is still a thing)

It's purely stats prefix that are reset and nothing else.

So if you're running pure berserker before, you'll have the option to either change to a new stats prefix or reselect the one you had before.

Predefined equipment (so items that have fixed stats on acquire) should also remain unaffected.

I use a lot of stat selectable gear so it's going to be moderately annoying on the first day having to go through and change it on all my characters. But it will make all the stuff stored in my bank much, much more useful. There's several items which currently only have 1 or 2 stat combinations I might use, but I've been holding onto them just in case I do want that one, now I'll almost certainly be able to find a use for all of them.

@Danikat.8537 said:I use a lot of stat selectable gear so it's going to be moderately annoying on the first day having to go through and change it on all my characters. But it will make all the stuff stored in my bank much, much more useful. There's several items which currently only have 1 or 2 stat combinations I might use, but I've been holding onto them just in case I do want that one, now I'll almost certainly be able to find a use for all of them.

Agreed. I was very happy to see this change. Kinda hoping that the low level exo ineffable gear gets this change too. I know it seems pointless, but speed leveling my toons, for me, is great and so that gear is worth it.

Well, what they are saying is that almost any gear where you can select stats (assuming this includes Bladed armor from VB), you'll have access to ALL the stats you can get from whatever expansions you have. If you have HoT, you get Core + HoT, if you have PoF, you get Core + PoF and if you have both, you get them all. No more wondering what will be available on certain stat selectable gear anymore since it will have it all, except those which were specifically described in the news post.

Yes, I just read up on this, sounds very interesting and at the same time annoying because of the number of characters I have that currently have this type of stuff (from armor, to weapons, to trinkets) equipped.

Luckily, some of us have been through a similar annoyance before with the account wardrobe switch/account dye unlocks whereby we had to log on to every character and check what they had and we remember that in some cases it took hours to go through that process, so be forewarned it'll likely take hours in some cases for this process as well.

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:I'm in the midsts of fibro-fog right now, so I can't understand it. No matter how many times I read it, I still don't know what is going on.

From now on any equipment which lets you choose the stats will let you choose from all available stat combinations, instead of just a few.

To accommodate this any equipment you have equipped which originally let you choose the stats will be reset and you will have to choose them again, but the game will tell you which ones they are when you log in so you won't need to remember where all your equipment came from.