WvW Build- The Holy Warlock. Guide + Gameplay tips =D **Updated with post 7/16 patch video** — Guild Wars 2 Forums

WvW Build- The Holy Warlock. Guide + Gameplay tips =D **Updated with post 7/16 patch video**

Comments

  • share the build please?

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @XileTommy.7698 said:
    share the build please?

    Updated the OP with the build guide =D

  • iKeostuKen.2738iKeostuKen.2738 Member ✭✭✭

    Used pretty much the same build with dire instead. Loved the playstyle tons!

  • jaif.3518jaif.3518 Member ✭✭✭

    I like the build. I like the theme. I like how you managed a condi build good for zergs.

    However, your videos make it look easy. :-) Reality is that most people don't stand still into bunch, so you get a whole lot of running around and misses before you can get them in the choke and really blow them up.

    Covering downs is a great idea, though. I used to put poison on them with (others), hitting them with flame does get a fair share of secondary downs.

  • kyllar.6907kyllar.6907 Member ✭✭

    Tried this build today and it was a lot of fun. Don't have sinister gear yet so just had a mix of Carrion and Dire and was still effective!! I do agree that it is not a good solo roaming build but works great in zergs

  • EremiteAngel.9765EremiteAngel.9765 Member ✭✭✭✭

    One of the most unique and fun builds I've seen in a while :o

    Visit 🏴‍☠️ Eremite's WvW Necromancy Graveyard 🏴‍☠️

    CD -> TC -> Mag -> GOM -> AR -> JQ

  • XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019

    Hi Risen,
    Just wanted to post to say I love this build!
    My friend happened to get this on his recommended videos on youtube for some reason and passed it along to me. I haven't touched my guard in 2 years and it's exactly the type of burn guard build I've been looking for, as I never really liked the torch type builds and I don't like firebrand, plus the staff and spirit weapon changes make it much more fun to use here. It's definitely not a roaming build, but it can clear camps quick, kills siege fast, and fun defending gates, in fact I've seen groups get really scared of the damage and back off. The biggest thing to fear is dying from retaliation every zerg fight lol.

    I've barely been playing, my main mesmer has been getting nerfs, so thanks for sharing and bringing some fun back to the game for me :)

    "Is there pvp stuff for this?" "Absolutely, eh we actually have a new armor set coming soon."
    "From the back of the room!, the one pvp fan! we got him! WoAH!"
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

  • Burnfall.9573Burnfall.9573 Member ✭✭✭✭

    +1

    Well done

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @XenesisII.1540 said:
    Hi Risen,
    Just wanted to post to say I love this build!
    My friend happened to get this on his recommended videos on youtube for some reason and passed it along to me. I haven't touched my guard in 2 years and it's exactly the type of burn guard build I've been looking for, as I never really liked the torch type builds and I don't like firebrand, plus the staff and spirit weapon changes make it much more fun to use here. It's definitely not a roaming build, but it can clear camps quick, kills siege fast, and fun defending gates, in fact I've seen groups get really scared of the damage and back off. The biggest thing to fear is dying from retaliation every zerg fight lol.

    I've barely been playing, my main mesmer has been getting nerfs, so thanks for sharing and bringing some fun back to the game for me :)

    Thanks, glad you enjoy it! Managing retal and positioning are probably the hardest parts of using it lol. The trick is loading a soj/symbol/soj then using litany to make you immortal for 6s =D

  • XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:
    Thanks, glad you enjoy it! Managing retal and positioning are probably the hardest parts of using it lol. The trick is loading a soj/symbol/soj then using litany to make you immortal for 6s =D

    Yeah I've been using shelter for the extra block but I'll try litany out today and see how it goes, and also go core guard by swapping dragonhunter for radiance and see the difference in burns :D

    "Is there pvp stuff for this?" "Absolutely, eh we actually have a new armor set coming soon."
    "From the back of the room!, the one pvp fan! we got him! WoAH!"
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

  • otto.5684otto.5684 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I do not WvW, but I am curios why DH instead of FB? FB is much better suited for condi damage and AOE blocking through aegis.

  • XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2019

    Probably because of the 2 cover conditions cripple and vulnerable every time justice procs to make it harder to cleanse (isn't really needed in pve). FB have more support options, but you're really playing this to spam out multi hit aoes to try and proc justice as much as possible.

    "Is there pvp stuff for this?" "Absolutely, eh we actually have a new armor set coming soon."
    "From the back of the room!, the one pvp fan! we got him! WoAH!"
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @XenesisII.1540 said:

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:
    Thanks, glad you enjoy it! Managing retal and positioning are probably the hardest parts of using it lol. The trick is loading a soj/symbol/soj then using litany to make you immortal for 6s =D

    Yeah I've been using shelter for the extra block but I'll try litany out today and see how it goes, and also go core guard by swapping dragonhunter for radiance and see the difference in burns :D

    I tried out radiance core too, those 10k burn ticks are devastating lol

    @otto.5684 said:
    I do not WvW, but I am curios why DH instead of FB? FB is much better suited for condi damage and AOE blocking through aegis.

    @XenesisII.1540 said:
    Probably because of the 2 cover conditions cripple and vulnerable every time justice procs to make it harder to cleanse (isn't really needed in pve). FB have more support options, but you're really playing this to spam out multi hit aoes to try and proc justice as much as possible.

    Xen has it right, cover conditions+f2 for mobility + f3 for getting in easily. It plays like a weaver with better defense tools

    If you want to run fb, you're better off going boons+damage with something like this:

    That way you make the most of fb's potential

  • Kolisch.4691Kolisch.4691 Member ✭✭✭

    Hahaha ha I used this today because of some buffs. It's still not something you use against people prepared to go into a serious fight... but it wrecked a lot of newbies for me today! You could insta down 4-8 players just waiting to cap a sentry etc. I don't get why they like to stay close to each other and have ducky condi cleanse abilities.

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kolisch.4691 said:
    Hahaha ha I used this today because of some buffs. It's still not something you use against people prepared to go into a serious fight... but it wrecked a lot of newbies for me today! You could insta down 4-8 players just waiting to cap a sentry etc. I don't get why they like to stay close to each other and have ducky condi cleanse abilities.

    Works fine against serious groups too, just gotta land your skills when they stop to bomb or regroup.

    I got 180k yesterday off 1 scepter 2 lol. It makes keep defense hilarious since you can kill siege and anyone near it with 1 symbol+1soj

  • Yeah this build got even better from the update. The only thing left for me is to get sinister weapons (I hate crafting ha ha.)

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    update with post patch footage =D

  • Syrus.2174Syrus.2174 Member ✭✭✭

    Sounds really interesting.
    I'm really kind of new to Guard, usually I play Rev nowadays and Ele for a long time before, but I always was interested in a zerg capable Guardian build that isn't just focussed on healing/support.

    The tutorial video is from some time ago, were there any changes since then that affected the build? Other traits? Different skills or such?
    Also, I saw you played it with a bow as well as shield instead of focus for parts of the video, what advice can you give for switching to those weapons?

    Would it be worth to get some Expertise on there?
    Since I never ran a condi build, I'm quite bad at judging this. I was mostly wondering if replacing the infusions with expertise would make any worthwhile difference for example.

    Thank you for the build though! Definitely going to test it a bit more, already had some nice encounters yesterday, but I still have a lot to learn.

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Syrus.2174 said:
    Sounds really interesting.
    I'm really kind of new to Guard, usually I play Rev nowadays and Ele for a long time before, but I always was interested in a zerg capable Guardian build that isn't just focussed on healing/support.

    The tutorial video is from some time ago, were there any changes since then that affected the build? Other traits? Different skills or such?
    Also, I saw you played it with a bow as well as shield instead of focus for parts of the video, what advice can you give for switching to those weapons?

    Would it be worth to get some Expertise on there?
    Since I never ran a condi build, I'm quite bad at judging this. I was mostly wondering if replacing the infusions with expertise would make any worthwhile difference for example.

    Thank you for the build though! Definitely going to test it a bit more, already had some nice encounters yesterday, but I still have a lot to learn.

    If you have experience playing ele, you'll pick this up quickly since it follows all the same rules. Place bombs 1/2s ahead of where your enemy is regrouping or as they push a choke, always dance in and out of range so you don't have to tank any hits. rotate into your zerg for healing, then back out again so you don't eat a bomb.

    tutorial is still current, none of the traits or skills have changed and the armor remains the same. sinisters or grieving is the best for coordinated groups, vipers is the best against pug groups or groups with little cleansing/resist. Up to you, depends on what you mostly play it against.

    shield and focus are interchangeable, focus has a nice oh kitten button while shield offers better ranged protection if you find yourself frequently targetted by deadeyes or soulbeasts. Staff is better against coordinated groups with high reflect uptime. Overall i think bow offers more damage/CC but it's harder to use since you have to account for reflects and work around them.

    expertise is useful against groups with poor cleansing. You can get some really stupid burn ticks against those kind of groups, like 20k+ lol. Against better groups, 50% burn duration works well since it leaves very little room to cleanse. soj triggers permeating wrath 1 or 2 times per swing and symbols trigger it 3x per pulse, combined with zealot's aggression (apply 1 1/2s cripple on each PW activation) this means every hit applies 3s of cripple which syncs up nicely with 3s burns. You can go for longer burn ticks, but the longer it's ticking the better a chance the enemy group has of turning it into aegis with their scrappers, which reduces your group's damage output overall.

    I'm glad you're enjoying it, you'll get a feel for when to move and bomb after a week or two =D

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This is with Sinister gear? HP pool doesn't make sense.

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    This is with Sinister gear? HP pool doesn't make sense.

    I run carrion too for some of the videos, depends on how squishy i think i can get away with. find an amount that works for you to balance your survivability/damage

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    This is with Sinister gear? HP pool doesn't make sense.

    I run carrion too for some of the videos, depends on how squishy i think i can get away with. find an amount that works for you to balance your survivability/damage

    How important is Power/Precision to your damage? Would Trailblazer neuter the build too much?

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:

    @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    This is with Sinister gear? HP pool doesn't make sense.

    I run carrion too for some of the videos, depends on how squishy i think i can get away with. find an amount that works for you to balance your survivability/damage

    How important is Power/Precision to your damage? Would Trailblazer neuter the build too much?

    ~35-40% of the damage is physical, so you lose a fair amount by going trailblazer

    -Zeal gives you 10% of your power as condition damage

    -precision ups your reflect damage by a fair amount, since reflects use your crit % and the reflected person's power

    So best bet is carrion if you want to up your survivability. Enough carrion for 20k hp is surprisingly tanky

  • Syrus.2174Syrus.2174 Member ✭✭✭

    @RisenHowl.2419 said:
    ...

    If you have experience playing ele, you'll pick this up quickly since it follows all the same rules. Place bombs 1/2s ahead of where your enemy is regrouping or as they push a choke, always dance in and out of range so you don't have to tank any hits. rotate into your zerg for healing, then back out again so you don't eat a bomb.

    tutorial is still current, none of the traits or skills have changed and the armor remains the same. sinisters or grieving is the best for coordinated groups, vipers is the best against pug groups or groups with little cleansing/resist. Up to you, depends on what you mostly play it against.

    shield and focus are interchangeable, focus has a nice oh kitten button while shield offers better ranged protection if you find yourself frequently targetted by deadeyes or soulbeasts. Staff is better against coordinated groups with high reflect uptime. Overall i think bow offers more damage/CC but it's harder to use since you have to account for reflects and work around them.

    expertise is useful against groups with poor cleansing. You can get some really stupid burn ticks against those kind of groups, like 20k+ lol. Against better groups, 50% burn duration works well since it leaves very little room to cleanse. soj triggers permeating wrath 1 or 2 times per swing and symbols trigger it 3x per pulse, combined with zealot's aggression (apply 1 1/2s cripple on each PW activation) this means every hit applies 3s of cripple which syncs up nicely with 3s burns. You can go for longer burn ticks, but the longer it's ticking the better a chance the enemy group has of turning it into aegis with their scrappers, which reduces your group's damage output overall.

    I'm glad you're enjoying it, you'll get a feel for when to move and bomb after a week or two =D

    Sadly I got quite used to the much sturdier Rev lately, so my first experience, especially when running full Sinister, was closer to the ground than I'd have liked. Especially since the enemy servers were only running big annoying groups of roamers instead of there being decent zerg fights... so many warriors, engis, rangers, thieves etc. - not much fun.
    I feel like even compared to Ele - since I ran it with Marauder/Berserker - this build is veeeery squishy. Just something one has to keep in mind. I think I'll try throwing in some Carrion.

    Will probably try shield and bow. Luckily I still got a shield lying around somewhere and bow, well...I always wanted a reason to use a bow as a guard. I should at least try it at some point!.
    And true with the condi-boon conversion, I tend to forget about that. Makes sense to rather focus on simply more damage then, I guess.

    Good advice and thanks for the guide!
    Now I just need to see a zerg fight that doesn't consist solely of warriors, thieves, rangers and engis. D:

  • phokus.8934phokus.8934 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019

    This is an extremely fun build to play in groups. The only downside I have is the amount of retaliation damage I take from staff 3, scepter 2, and the spammable soj. I’m really only saved through LoW and having healers who pay attention.

  • alain.1659alain.1659 Member ✭✭✭

    Pfff I dont like you OP. Now I "have to" try this build. Man come on. I saw it before and managed to forget about it. Now it is inescapable.

    Thanks for posting this. Seems really good and fun :)

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @phokus.8934 said:
    This is an extremely fun build to play in groups. The only downside I have is the amount of retaliation damage I take from staff 3, scepter 2, and the spammable soj. I’m really only saved through LoW and having healers who pay attention.

    Usually I try to time bombing runs of soj/symbol/soj with f2 and the heal's cd to handle the retal. It helps to dip into and out of your group for healing too

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    more clips =D

  • Syrus.2174Syrus.2174 Member ✭✭✭

    I did try the build a bit, but I went with quite a bit more defensive stats, more health, some toughness. Obviously this reduced the damage output a bit.

    Overall the build can push out great bombs, the problem is, at least as it seems in EU T1, the enemy zergs know too well how to cleanse conditions and often enough are very good at focusing down the squishier classes. Situations which allow for the guardian to get close enough to unleash the closer range skills always seemed quite rare or the enemies were either not stacked enough or our own zerg couldn't hold well enough to make a difference. When we were crushing the enemy they just clouded and when the enemy was more powerful we'd be on full retreat or get annihilated quickly. It seems like the number of drawn out proper zerg fights has decreased a bit lately, with one side clearly overpowering the other mainly.

    So, it does great when you can bomb the enemy zerg and they aren't cleansing condition fast enough, but I mainly went back to my Rev, the longer range and general higher survivability is just more fitting for our match ups I feel like. Raw damage output just outperforms having to hope for the enemy to not instantly cleanse before the condition ticks, as was expected.

    As you already said, it's pretty similar to Ele. If you can get your full bomb off on a zerg, you can almost destroy them by yourself. The problem is, it rarely works out so well, mostly requires either a choke point or a zerg that closely sticks together without overrunning your people the moment they touch and which doesn't have as much condi removal. I see the short range compared to Ele as another downside, as your survivability isn't that much better. Overall the build is fun though and can work, it's just a bit situational and depends a lot on who you are fighting and very much on how well their zerg setup works against conditions.

  • RisenHowl.2419RisenHowl.2419 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Syrus.2174 said:
    I did try the build a bit, but I went with quite a bit more defensive stats, more health, some toughness. Obviously this reduced the damage output a bit.

    Overall the build can push out great bombs, the problem is, at least as it seems in EU T1, the enemy zergs know too well how to cleanse conditions and often enough are very good at focusing down the squishier classes. Situations which allow for the guardian to get close enough to unleash the closer range skills always seemed quite rare or the enemies were either not stacked enough or our own zerg couldn't hold well enough to make a difference. When we were crushing the enemy they just clouded and when the enemy was more powerful we'd be on full retreat or get annihilated quickly. It seems like the number of drawn out proper zerg fights has decreased a bit lately, with one side clearly overpowering the other mainly.

    So, it does great when you can bomb the enemy zerg and they aren't cleansing condition fast enough, but I mainly went back to my Rev, the longer range and general higher survivability is just more fitting for our match ups I feel like. Raw damage output just outperforms having to hope for the enemy to not instantly cleanse before the condition ticks, as was expected.

    As you already said, it's pretty similar to Ele. If you can get your full bomb off on a zerg, you can almost destroy them by yourself. The problem is, it rarely works out so well, mostly requires either a choke point or a zerg that closely sticks together without overrunning your people the moment they touch and which doesn't have as much condi removal. I see the short range compared to Ele as another downside, as your survivability isn't that much better. Overall the build is fun though and can work, it's just a bit situational and depends a lot on who you are fighting and very much on how well their zerg setup works against conditions.

    Thank you for your input!

    It sounds like you might not be using your defensive cds proactively instead of reactively, which is something that takes a little getting used to on guard. I generally wait on a mount until the groups engage, then hit the enemy as they pull back from the first bomb.

    So targets for maximum effectiveness:

    -when they regroup after a ranged bomb
    -when they stack to stealth or empower
    -on downed targets, especially if someone comes to res
    -when they push a choke

    The way to play it is waiting for one of these to happen, then hit as hard as you can before you run out of defensive cds to chain together.

    If your group is being one pushed, that's not something any one person can stop. You're either massively outnumbered or out skilled in that scenario. If it's outnumbered, just wait. They'll get bored and go for a structure eventually where you can destroy their siege and get some kills.

    If your group is steamrolling, just 111 for tags. Damage isn't important here, but burn guard can tag like crazy =D

    When bombing you always want to layer symbols with soj, try not to cast either singly. This offsets the cripple/vulnerable application to multiple times per second and makes it much harder to cleanse the burning. Another good way to do it is wait for your tag to go for a scourge bomb, all of scourge's skills are 900 range and provide tons of cover conditions for you to hide behind while the burns tick 10k+

    Against a cloud, nothing's really effective. Wait for someone to go down and you can wipe 2-3 people at a time when they go for a res. You might also swap in a bow for the staff so you can CC and bomb to set up your res kills with scepter

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.