Dying armor. Question.

I know, I'm just full of questions. lol

So I've been playing with the dyes & skins, but of course my armor keeps getting replaced so quickly at my levels that I don't get to enjoy it for long and have to re-do the skin for the new piece & re-dye it if I want to keep the same look. So I looked at the Wiki page to see if there was a way to keep the color on a skin. Apparently not, but that's ok, I don't need to keep spending all my points on re-skinning at this stage.

But it also says this.... "Although newly acquired items will automatically be dyed with the dyes set for a currently equipped item.........." That's interesting because I've not found that to be the case. If I equip a new piece, it's the default color, not the dyed color. Even that would be an improvement, if it worked, since I can live without the skins til I'm not replacing things so fast if I can at least keep the same color scheme without having to redo it every time. (hope I explained that right) :)

So I'm wondering, am I overlooking something? Is it supposed to work that way or is the Wiki incorrect?

I think it is supposed to work that way but I've always found it to be inconsistent. Sometimes a new piece will pick up the dyes from the old one, sometimes (more often I think) it doesn't, and I don't know why, it might be a bug or it might be some logic I can't make sense of.

I've never tried to work out exactly what's going on though because it doesn't really worry me. Dye in this game is complicated - the material being dyed affects how the dye looks and the areas affected by each dye channel are different on each skin, so the same dye scheme may not look good on different items. So I prefer to re-do the dyes each time the skins change, to make sure I'm actually getting the result I want. (And because sometimes I stumble across cool combinations while doing it.)

If it's any consolation you will swap your equipment less frequently as you level up. Levelling remains pretty quick in this game, but at higher levels there's more of a variety of equipment and you get some really good pieces from level and story rewards so it's rarer to get a drop which replaces them. Then at level 80 you'll get yourself a set of exotic equipment with good stats and won't need to change it again until you're upgrading to ascended (which takes quite a while) or until you change your mind on what stat combination you want.

If you can get hold of an outfit, it's nice for leveling because it covers whatever 'real' armor you are wearing and you don't have to re-dye every time you get a new piece of equipment.

Most outfits sell in the gem store for 700 gems, but if you collect enough Black Lion statuettes from opening chests, they are often added in the statuette shop. Or for in-game loot, you can check the TP for the old clothing tonics, and take them to the Black Lion Trader in Lion's Arch to be converted to an outfit. The Common Clothing tonic is very cheap at the trading post. The dye channels are a bit odd in these old, converted outfits, but it's a way to avoid the dye-or-wear-brown-rags treadmill.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Endless_Common_Clothing_Tonic