First of all, Welcome to Tyria!
About once a week, I spend a couple of hours on starter maps with my mentor tag up, offering help and advice for new (and returning) players. On a single map, there are only so many people to reach, however. So, here's a thread with a few tips and tricks that the game does not directly teach you~
The Chat Box
- Quickly and easily add friends, block trolls, report bad behavior (anet takes it very seriously), send mail, whisper, etc. by right clicking a name in chat.
- Use emotes such as dance, laugh, and cry by typing /dance, /laugh, and /cry into chat. Your character will act them out!
- There is an Official Wiki. It is your Best Friend! Access it quickly by typing /wiki into chat~
- Share things in chat using ctrl+click; or shift+click if you want to add text. Begin with /wiki to search for things.
Your Inventory Panel
- Hold Alt while moving a stack in your inventory to split it into multiple stacks. You get to choose the amount in the new stack!
- Open your Inventory Panel and click the gear in the top right corner. Select "Deposit All Materials" to quickly clear space in your bags. Mats are sent to your personal Bank~
- Your personal Bank can be accessed in every Major City and Crafting Station.
How Do I look?
- Show off your fancy face and hairstyle by hiding your helmet. Go to your Equipment Panel and click the check box on the Helmet.
- Customize your character through the Hero Panel using Equipment, Outfits, and then Dyes to color it all.
- Wardrobe lets you apply Skins to equipment with Transmutation Charges.
- Armor/Weapon Skins, Minis, Color Dyes, Outfits and more are unlocked account wide. They can be used by any of your characters!
- The red bar beneath your skills appears when a foe is out of range. Move closer until the red bar disappears to be in striking range for that skill.
- You get XP for a lot of different actions beyond slaying foes. Reviving characters, Harvesting resources, Mapping the world, Crafting goods, etc. Go Explore!
- Everyone who attacks a foe gets XP & loot. It's not shared, and you can't steal the kill or the loot~ \o/ Play Together, Help Out, Get Loot, Have Fun!
- Being in a party betters your chances of loot drops (you don't have to do quite as much damage to receive credit if your party is attacking, too). Play with your friends, find a Guild, or just ask in chat for like-minded people~
- Your Characters Enjoy Food, Too! Omnomnom, Eat Up~ It will give you bonuses and extra XP!
- Set your Key Bindings! Be able to walk, swim straight up/down, use first person, and more. Esc>Options>Control Options~
- The NPCs calling out for your help really DO need your assistance! Talk to them to begin quests, and follow NPCs around. They may be part of a Event Chain. Listen to NPCs chatting with each other. They often have important information, may be talking as part of an ongoing event, or could even be dropping Easter Eggs~
The game does not end with level cap. It's only just beginning! There is so much to do beyond level cap, so keep playing! (also, don't rush your leveling, or you'll miss a HUGE part of the game!)
Got more helpful tips that aren't in the tutorial, but gosh would it help if they were? Maybe you've got an answer for a question commonly asked by new people coming in from other games? Perhaps you've been playing for years, but just recently learned of something that would have saved you many painstaking hours if only someone had told you back then? Please share, and support our growing community!
Got a question? You're in the right forums.
......(>'o')>......^( 'o' )^......<('o'<)......<('o' )>......^( 'o' )^......<( 'o')>......(>'o')>......^( 'o' )^......<('o'<)......